SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

sabkamalikek: Introduction & My Health History

sabkamalikek

I will make it short & Simple.
Alcohol Withdrawal on 15th March, And I am sober from the same day. My Medical history & Benzo use is described below. Took Benzo for 3 month with with once one long gap with in 3 month. Started taking Anti depressant prothiaden 50 MG at night during my end of taper and currently on the same.

At this point withdrawals are like Headache at night, Sometimes Dizziness, minor anxiety, Bug Crawling Sensation in body. Fatigue also. NIghtmares.

My believe here is since I am taking AD, my withdrawal is not worse and manageable. Because every night  I take Ads I feel nice and get a good sleep but next day by evening I started getting headache and fatigue than I take prothiaden 50MG again to feel good. and it does.

Can This AD, control our Withdrawal? And my fear is what if I get during my AD off. Again that will be a problem.

How can get my normal drug free life Back? Is it possible? 

Does this ADs stops our healing? And Are they addictive and harmful? 

I am Benzo free , and thats a good news. But the bad part is I am on ADs, And how long I have to be on the same?

Anybody who quit benzo than quit your ADs also safely?

==========================================================================

Alcohol Withdrawal : 3/16/2015
Started Librium on 3/16/2015 
75MG first 3 days
50 MG 4 days
25 MG 5 days
10 MG 5 days
5MG 2 days....Stopped

All withdrawal disappear for one month 10 days.

Then all back with a bang and additional features.

Took Z Drug for 13 days. Not worked. Stopped ct.
Then switched to Ativan 1MG for 10 days and now taking .75MG per day at night (Took Ativan for 20days only) Stopped here

Started Librium on June 26, 2015, 10mg Only

From 3rd July Taking 7mg....till now. and Dothiepin 25MG for last 5day along with 7mg Librium..

Till 13th, July : 5 Mg Librium+ Dothip (SNRI) 25 Mg
14, July: 2 Mg Librium+ Dothip (SNRI) 50 Mg

20th July: Benzo Free But Dothip (SNRI) 50 Mg

Now continuing only Dothip (SNRI) 50 Mg

hello-sabkamalikek,

You have come to the right place to get help. I am pretty new to this site and I'm happy to have it. Someone will be along to help get you familiar with the site and how to use it, and give you suggestions!

1991-2016 Zoloft, Klonopine, Wellbutrin added in 2000 2016 Lexapro, Klonopin, Wellbutrin 2016-2017 Effexor, Lamotrigine, Nortriptyline, Abilify, Cymbalta, Klonopin, Seroquel, Lexapro- slow taper 2016 2018-2021 Cymbalta 60 mg, Lexapro liquid 5ml/5mg (Apr 1, .26 ml/.26 mg) Klonopin 0.5 mg, Seroquel 20 mg. 4/1/21 added Magnesium and omega 3 oil. 9/21 Lexapro 0.15 mg. 10/20/21 Lex 0.14 mg. 8/9/22 Lex 0.15 ml/0.15 mg drop to 0.13 ml/0.13 mg; Klon 0.5 mg; Seroq 12.5 mg; Dulox 60 mg; Magnesium Chlor 1000 mg; Multi Vit; Omega Oil; probiotic. 10/2/22 Jumped off Lex at .018 mgs. 7/4/23 Seroq 0.55mgs (-0.5 1wk)

• Moderator Emeritus

Welcome sabkamalikek, thank you for posting an introduction, I'm glad you found us. Congratulations on becoming alcohol free.

You have asked if antidepressants are harmful and addictive. The short answer is yes and yes. But they can be helpful in a minority of cases short term, and not everyone experiences withdrawal symptoms when trying to stop taking an antidepressant, but this site is full of members who are having problems with stopping their antidepressants and related drugs.

For more information on this I'd highly recommend reading Anatomy of an Epidemic by Robert Whitaker.

I can see from your history that you have been through a lot of changes over the last several months including starting and stopping medications, so it would be a good idea to give your body a chance to settle down some more before beginning another taper.

How are you feeling at the moment? Are you currently experiencing any symptoms?

Are you taking tablets or capsules?

When you are ready to start tapering we suggest reducing by no more than 10% of the current dose every 4 weeks, this reduces the risk of withdrawal symptoms arising. Please read through this which will explain why:

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

Also see:  What is withdrawal syndrome?

We don't have a topic specifically for tapering Prothiaden (Dosulepin) but you will find some information about how to reduce you dose here:

Using an oral syringe and other tapering techniques

How to make a liquid from tablets or capsules

Using a digital scale to measure doses

You can use this thread as your ongoing journal to track progress, write about symptoms, ask questions and communicate with the community, add to it whenever you want.

You will find a lot of friendly help and support here.

Petunia.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

Thanks Freeby & Thanks Petunia for the information.

For Petunia:

I was on Benzo for 2-3 month then moved AD after Benzo free. 

Day before yesterday Doc ask me to take propranolol. its a beta blocker.

Is it harmful? addictive? your view on propranolol ? Your signature says you had them.

Yesterday for a check up I went to doc, and told him about my dizziness & fatigue in day time. He asked me to take propranolol after breakfast.

• Administrator

Welcome, sabkamalikek.

Whether a psychiatric drug is technically addictive or not, you can get withdrawal symptoms from it if you do not taper it.

Librium and Ativan are not antidepressants. They are benzodiazepines. The benzos are all addictive drugs that need to be tapered. The Z drugs for sleep are related to benzos and are also addictive.

If you went off Librium, Ativan, and Z drugs without tapering, you may be suffering withdrawal symptoms from those as well.

It could be your doctor thinks propranolol will fix those symptoms. If you take it every day, propranolol will need to be tapered, like all beta blockers.

Prothiaden or Dothip are known in the US as dosulepin https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DosulepinIt will need to be tapered.

I understand you are taking it to treat symptoms of alcohol withdrawal. We don't know much about alcohol withdrawal here. I don't think anyone here can say if it will help you recover from alcohol withdrawal or not.

One way or the other, you will need to taper any psychiatric drug if you decide you want to come off it.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Moderator Emeritus

Yesterday for a check up I went to doc, and told him about my dizziness & fatigue in day time. He asked me to take propranolol after breakfast.

Propranolol is likely to cause dizziness and fatigue, they are some of the potential side effects, see:

http://www.drugs.com/sfx/propranolol-side-effects.html

Do you have high blood pressure, propranolol is sometimes used to treat that. You really need to ask your doctor why he thinks you need to take it, then make your own decision based on the risks of the side effects.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes