MRothbard: intro

MRothbard

Hi Everyone,

I've been on and off these drugs for about 7 years. I had almost quit them for good when after taking steroids for an ear infection anxiety returned with a vengeance. This was september 2014. I cut my Lexaprop dose in half about a month ago and seem to be doing fine with it.I'm now taking 10mg of Lexapro and 30mg of Mirtazipine. 

About a month ago I was feeling sleepy and unmotivated all the time and started drinking coffee again, and then alcohol in the evening. I also thought I could handle cutting the Mirtazipine in half too. Nope. Anxiety and intrusive thoughts big time.

​I've since gone back to my 30 mg dose or Mirt. Quit coffee and alcohol altogether.

Eventually I'd like to be off these things but now is probably not the time to start tapering. I'd like to be more stable first. I'm on this forum to get advice on how to do that when the time comes and also to help however I can.

Thank you.

September 2014 to July 2015 - 20 mg Lexapro, 30mg Mirtazipine

August 2015 to November 2016- 10mg Lexapro, 30 mg Mirtazipine

Nov. 2016 to Nov. 2017 - 10mg Lexapro, 3.75 mg Mirtazipine

Nov. 2017 to Mach 2018 - 5mg/2.5mg Lexapro, 0mg Mirtazipne

Mach 2018 to Dec. 2018 - 0mg Lexapro, 0mg Mirtazipne

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MRothbard

• Altostrata

• ChessieCat

• Gridley

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderator Emeritus

Welcome MRothbard, thank you for posting. You have come to the right place for support with getting off these drugs.

Its not a good idea to cut your dose by half. We suggest reducing by no more than 10% of the current dose every 4 weeks, this reduces the risk of withdrawal symptoms arising. Please read through this which will explain why:

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

When did you try cutting your mirtazapine in half? How long have you been back on 30mg? How are you feeling now?

Here are some topics for tapering your specific drugs, only one at a time though:

Tips for tapering off Lexapro (escitalopram)

Tips for tapering off Remeron (mirtazapine)

I agree that you should wait a while to become stable again before beginning a proper taper.

Just so you are aware, there is a potentially harmful interaction between lexapro and mirtazapine:

http://www.drugs.com/interactions-check.php?drug_list=1640-0,1013-565

Interactions between your selected drugs

interaction-3-big.png

mirtazapine ↔ escitalopram

Applies to: mirtazapine, Lexapro (escitalopram)

Using mirtazapine together with escitalopram can increase the risk of a rare but serious condition called the serotonin syndrome, which may include symptoms such as confusion, hallucination, seizure, extreme changes in blood pressure, increased heart rate, fever, excessive sweating, shivering or shaking, blurred vision, muscle spasm or stiffness, tremor, incoordination, stomach cramp, nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. Severe cases may result in coma and even death. You should seek immediate medical attention if you experience these symptoms while taking the medications. Talk to your doctor if you have any questions or concerns. Your doctor may already be aware of the risks, but has determined that this is the best course of treatment for you and has taken appropriate precautions and is monitoring you closely for any potential complications. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

Why does your doctor have you on 2 antidepressants?

Please feel free to write whenever you want, you will find a lot of friendly help and support here.

Petunia.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

Hi Petunia,

I'm not experiencing any of the physical serotonin syndrome symptoms. This  combo of Lexapro and Mirtazipine has worked for me in the past so I guess that's why I'm on them now. As far as how I'm feeling–a bit of morning anxiety, but not overwhelming. And some throughout the day. Intrusive thoughts of weird existential worries. But everyday seems to be getting better.

Seems with me that I can tolerate stimulants like caffeine for a while and then all of a sudden the anxiety/depression hits me like I've caught a virus. The change happens overnight. Any insight into that?

• Moderator Emeritus

You can start having unusual reactions to all neuroactive substances once the nervous system becomes sensitized by withdrawal. From what you have described, it sounds like you are experiencing some withdrawal symptoms. If you are having this reaction to caffeine, it would be better to not use it. Many people find they can no longer tolerate caffeine while in withdrawal, see:

Caffeine in coffee or tea: Tolerance issues

If I were you, I would not do any more tapering until your current symptoms settle down, also see:

What is withdrawal syndrome?

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

How are you doing MR,

T

April 2014 remeron 45mg.

June 2014 abilify 2.5 remeron wasn't working so abilify was then added

September 2014 woke up with anxiety x 100!!!!

Pdoc then took me from 45 to 7.5 within a month and took abilify from 2.5 to 0

Currently

Remeron 7.5

Vitamin d 5,000 iu taking for about 3 years

October 2014 added fish oil/omega 3 1000 mg per day

Levothyroxitine 100 10 years or so

Dec 2014 started tapering 10% every 10 days-no problems.

August 2015 down to 0.1 mg

Woke up with severe anxiety-sleep issues-racing thoughts-depression. 9/9/15 up dose 1 mg.

• 3 weeks later...

Long story short, my prescription ran out more than a week ago so I was kind of forced to not take mirtazipine this entire time. The doctor would not honor refill requests faxed to him. At first I didn't experience any withdrawal symptoms at all, except difficulty getting to sleep. Now some are creeping up on me–anxiety and difficulty staying awake in the morning.

I have an appt. with my psych. doc this friday. I'm wondering if I should tough it out and stay off the mirtazipine altogether or maybe reinstate a smaller dose. I'm at 30mg right now.

I know everyone is different but on average, do people experience worsening withdrawal systems after having quit the drug for two weeks or so? Or is it worst at the outset?

Thank you

Hi MRothbard--  Welcome to the group you found us just in time.  Short answer Don't do it!!!!  A CT off of 30mg of mirt will put you in a world of hurt for a long time.  These drugs are extremely powerful and must be tapered off of slowly to avoid WD syndrome.  We have a large number of members who have CTed or fast tapered Mirt and are really wishing they hadn't.

What is withdrawal syndrome?

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

Tips for tapering off Remeron (mirtazapine)

Thank you for putting your information in a signature block, it really helps us understand what is going on.

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

• Moderator Emeritus

MR, hey.

merged this topic w/ your thread. please continue to use this area as the place for personal updates and questions regarding your personal tapering.

that said, you should not "stick it out." you should reinstate, re-stabilize, and then taper from there when you are ready. the symptoms that are "creeping up on you" (anxiety and difficulty staying awake in the morning, etc) are often the tip of the iceberg and usually intensify rather than abate.

please do not cold turkey this medication.

hang in there.

dave

1996 - .5mg Ativan as needed, 7.5mg Remeron daily2008 - .5mg Xanax, Ativan discontinued, Remeron continued2012 - .5mg Xanax, .25mg Ativan 3x daily, Remeron continued2/2012 - Jumped from Remeron, continued .5mg Xanax .25mg Ativan 3x daily4/2012 - Began rapid taper of .5mg Xanax .25mg Ativan 3x daily6/2012 - Jumped from Xanax and Ativan, voluntary hospitalization followed7/2012 - 2nd voluntary hospitalization, reinstated Remeron, bumped to 30mg, also given risperidone.8/2012 - discontinued risperidone, tried gabapentin, dicontinued gabapentin, Remeron 30mg continued10/2012 to current - tapered Remeron 10% every 4 to 6 weeks (sometimes more time) using liquid compound12/2014 - 2mg Remeron 1/16/2015 - 1.9mg Remeron 8/1/2015 -1.6mg Remeron - 03/1/2016 - 1.5mg Remeron - 1/2/2017 1.3mg - 5/7/2017 1.2mg - 5/13/2017 - syringe size change - 6/8/2017 - 1.1mg - 7/10/2017 - 1mg - 9/1/2017 - 0.9mg - 10/22/2017 - 0.8mg - 11/22/2017 - 0.7mg - 2/2/2018 - 0.6mg - 3/13/2018 - new compound pharmacy - 5/20/2018 - 0.5mg - 8/31/2018 - 0.4mg - 11/16/2018 - 0.3mg - 12/24/2018 - 0.2mg - 4/1/2019 - 0.1mg - 5/1/2019 - .05mg - 0mg achieved 2019-06-15. 🤞

I would not reduce by half. I did that with my current drug latuda and I thought I was having an internal avalanche and my system was shutting down, global organs failure!

off cold turkey:zoloft, trileptal, stratteracurrently on:<p>latuda .05 milligrams latuda (to stabilize cns) from 20 mgs 4 months ago.

Long story short, my prescription ran out more than a week ago so I was kind of forced to not take mirtazipine this entire time. The doctor would not honor refill requests faxed to him. At first I didn't experience any withdrawal symptoms at all, except difficulty getting to sleep. Now some are creeping up on me–anxiety and difficulty staying awake in the morning.

I have an appt. with my psych. doc this friday. I'm wondering if I should tough it out and stay off the mirtazipine altogether or maybe reinstate a smaller dose. I'm at 30mg right now.

I know everyone is different but on average, do people experience worsening withdrawal systems after having quit the drug for two weeks or so? Or is it worst at the outset?

Thank you

OK. I found  couple pills so I think that'll hold me til friday. I feel like a junkie sometimes. I wonder if kicking heroin is any more difficult. Thanks for the advice

Doctor finally confirmed a refill . WTF? Really irresponsible.

Good news! Keep us updated!

Hope you get relief!

Tgirl

April 2014 remeron 45mg.

Currently

Remeron 7.5

Woke up with severe anxiety-sleep issues-racing thoughts-depression. 9/9/15 up dose 1 mg.

Doctor was in India, so he couldn't authorize the refill. Symptoms are abating, doctor thinks that must mean I still "need" the drug, I think it was withdrawal symptoms. i don't understand why they a re so resistant to the notion of withdrawal symptoms. 

Anyway...

Any advice on how long I should be stable before attempting a 10% reduction? Which should go first, the Lexapro or Mirtazipine?

• Administrator

Welcome, MRothbard.

Very few doctors know anything at all about withdrawal.

So you're back on your regular dosing schedule?

Do you have any adverse effects from your drugs? Are you taking anything else? Please put ALL the drugs you take in the Drug Interactions Checker http://www.drugs.com/drug_interactions.html and copy and paste the results in this topic.

Are you taking mirtazapine for sleep? Why did you start it?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

I am back on my regular dosing schedule

Adverse reactions:  Fatigue, emotionally "blah", 

In addition to the Mirt. I am taking 10mg lexapro and Irbesartan (avapro)

mirtazapine ↔ escitalopram

Applies to:Remeron (mirtazapine) and Lexapro (escitalopram) 

Using mirtazapine together with escitalopram can increase the risk of a rare but serious condition called the serotonin syndrome, which may include symptoms such as confusion, hallucination, seizure, extreme changes in blood pressure, increased heart rate, fever, excessive sweating, shivering or shaking, blurred vision, muscle spasm or stiffness, tremor, incoordination, stomach cramp, nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. Severe cases may result in coma and even death.

hydrochlorothiazide ↔ escitalopram

Applies to:Avalide (hydrochlorothiazide/irbesartan) and Lexapro (escitalopram) 

Treatment with escitalopram may occasionally cause blood sodium levels to get too low, a condition known as hyponatremia, and using it with hydrochlorothiazide can increase that risk. You should seek medical attentionicon1.png if you experience nausea, vomiting, headache, lethargy, irritability, difficulty concentrating, memory impairment, confusion, muscle spasm, weakness or unsteadiness, as these may be symptoms of hyponatremia. More severe cases may lead to hallucination, fainting, seizure, coma, and even death. Escitalopram can also affect your blood pressure and heart rate. You may need a dose adjustment or more frequent monitoring of your blood pressure and pulse to safely use both medicationsicon1.png.

mirtazapine  irbesartan

Applies to: mirtazapine, irbesartan

Irbesartan and mirtazapine may have additive effects in lowering your blood pressure. You may experience headache, dizziness, lightheadedness, fainting, and/or changes in pulse or heart rate. These side effectsicon1.pngare most likely to be seen at the beginning of treatment, following a dose increase, or when treatment is restarted after an interruption. Let your doctoricon1.png know if you develop these symptoms and they do not go away after a few days or they become troublesome.

• Administrator

Well, now you know. That combination of drugs is not good for your health.

Are you taking mirtazapine for sleep? If so, when did you start having sleep problems?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

sleep problems = lat september, but the mirtazipine seemed to help with the anxiety and depression as well, both of which Lexapro couldn't get rid of on its own.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Mr,

How are you feeling now? Any improvements?

Tgirl

April 2014 remeron 45mg.

Currently

Remeron 7.5

• 5 months later...

Been awhile. I decided to stay on the anti-d's over the winter. Thanks for asking tgirl. I've decided to start tapering now that winter is over, so we'll see. I'm going to have to give up caffeine and wine so my body and brain don't have to contend with that stuff as well. Wish me luck!

Question: Can I smash up the pills into a powder and take a reduced dose that way? Provided I have a reliable scale?

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi MRothbard ,  yes you can use scales to weigh out custom doses of both lexapro and mirtazapine.

You can also make your own liquid solution for precision dosing. 

See the link on "How to make Liquid from  Tablets" here  http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2693-how-to-make-a-liquid-from-tablets-or-capsules/

Basically , if you dissolve one 30mg tablet in 30mls of water , you can draw up the exact amount you want in a syringe - each ml has 1mg of medicine.

See the links on tapering lexapro and mirtazapine 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/406-tips-for-tapering-off-lexapro-escitalopram/

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/5301-tips-for-tapering-off-remeron-mirtazapine/?hl=mirtazapine

Which are you planning to taper first?   We recommend just one at a time , the most activating one first.

Best wishes and welcome back ,  Fresh

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

Thanks Fresh. I asked my doctor about crushing and measuring the powder, he said crushing the pills might effect the bioavailability of the active ingredient. So I'm going to try chopping off a bit of the pill and taking the bigger part. Very scientific  ;) .  Tapering off the Mirt first.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi MRothbard,

Did you read the links that Fresh gave you on making your own liquid from both Mirt and Lex?  The more accurate you can get your dose the better.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Moderator Emeritus

Yup , I started my pristiq taper that way , chopping off a corner.

Remember that the tablets have 30mg of mirtazapine , plus lots of buffers and fillers , so they weigh much more than 30mg.

Weigh a few tablets and get an average pill weight (pw).

Divide that by 30 to get the weight equivalent to one mg of active ingredient.  

See the thread on "Using a Digital Scale to Measure Doses"   here  http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1596-using-a-digital-scale-to-measure-doses/

:)

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

Kinda what I'm doing. I weighed a pill, it actually weighed about 30 milligrams. I shaved off parts of the pill til I got to 27 milligrams. Now I'm using that pill as my standard for cutting the others.

• 2 weeks later...

So far so goodish. Having anxiety spike in the mid afternoon but nothing I can't deal with. Can you have the windows/wave pattern even with a 10% reduction?

• Moderator Emeritus

Yes , you can. These can be triggered by external stressors , or come from apparently nothing.

You might want to take daily magnesium around lunch time to see if that helps. Also look for connection

between things like added stimulants (coffee , tea) to see if there are any correlations.

Doing things like taking a short walk may also help head off a spike if there;s a daily pattern.

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

March 2016 , 21mg

I weighed a pill, it actually weighed about 30 milligrams.

You might like to double check this weight.

Thought for the day: Lets stand up, and let’s speak out , together. G Olsen

We have until the 14th. Feb 2018. 

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

http://www.parliament.scot/GettingInvolved/Petitions/PE01651   

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

• 8 months later...

Been a long time. I'm down to 10mg Lexapro and 3.75 mg or Remeron (Mirtazipine). I've been taking it really slow, especially now that it's winter. but I think the really slow taper has paid off. I've had very few bad days. I have noticed when I drink I feel utterly demotivated and negative about everything the next day. So note to everybody out there in this process: keep the alcohol to a minimum.

But I'd also like to offer some hope. After almost ten years of being off and on this stuff I think I'm looking at finally being off them completely pretty soon. So it is possible, and you can do it too.

I also have a question. Is rapid heartbeat a withdrawal symptom? I get these surges throughout the day of a period of about an hour where it's noticeably higher and kind of uncomfortable.

Thanks.

• Moderator Emeritus

Rapid heartbeat/palpitations can be a symptom of withdrawal.

Irregular heartbeats and palpitations.

From Alto's post #5

Irregular heart beats and palpitations are very common withdrawal symptoms. If your symptom started during or after withdrawal, it is likely a withdrawal symptom and an indication you have tapered too fast. Like other withdrawal symptoms, this goes away with time. Also, walking helps regularize autonomic function and heart rate. Make sure you get at least a half-hour of walking every day, if you can tolerate it. ...

Heart palpitations and low blood pressure.

1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

thanks scallywag

• 1 month later...

So, who woulda thought quitting a measly 3.75 mg dose would be any big deal?  Yeah, so I guit the Mirt. altogether and having some symptoms. Nothing overwhelming thankfully but they are affecting my outlook on everything I do.

At the same time I decided to quite drinking and quit caffeine, and started working out again. Probably too much too soon. I think I'm feeling some withdrawal from the coffee and booze as well.

Feel off the wagon yesterday, drank a small coffee at 2:30 pm and then a bunch of wine in the evening, couldn't get to sleep til 3am.

I just feel kinda numb and sad. Like there's glass ceiling my emotions keep hitting and can't get past.

Anyway, soldiering on, gonna try to stay Mr. Clean for a while. any tips words of support would be super.

Thanks, MRothbard

• Moderator Emeritus

You might want to take it easy on those work-outs.  Often, they can be activating in a bad way.  Same with alcohol, caffeine...but you already worked that out :)

How and when did you stop the mirt?  People often need to go extremely slow at the end of their tapers. 

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

Micro-tapering: four weekly 0.4% cuts, hold 4 weeks (struggling with symptoms).

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.
Supplements: Fish oil, vitamin C, iron, oat-straw tea, nettle tea.

2023 December - Now on 5 micro-beads Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops. Symptoms begin to increase.

2024 April - Updosed to 6 microbeads - immediate increase in symptoms for 4 days. Decreased to 5 microbeads.

'The possibility of renewal exists so long as life exists.'  Dr Gabor Mate.

yeah caffeine and workouts = crap feeling the next day. cortisol overload???

I was on the 3.75 mg for couple months then quit it altogether about a week ago.

• Moderator Emeritus

Yup, both those things stimulate cortisol, and when in w/d it's just too much for our systems to cope with.  Ends up making us feel yuck. 

So having basically cold-turkeyed off the mirt, are you thinking of just riding it out?  If it gets worse (and there's a good chance it will), reinstatement would be a good idea.  It can allow you to stabilise, and then you can later taper off more gently. 

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

Micro-tapering: four weekly 0.4% cuts, hold 4 weeks (struggling with symptoms).

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.
Supplements: Fish oil, vitamin C, iron, oat-straw tea, nettle tea.

2023 December - Now on 5 micro-beads Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops. Symptoms begin to increase.

2024 April - Updosed to 6 microbeads - immediate increase in symptoms for 4 days. Decreased to 5 microbeads.

'The possibility of renewal exists so long as life exists.'  Dr Gabor Mate.