Missyhissy: Tapering off mirtazapine

Missyhissy

Hi

Im 43 with two teenagers and just started Tapering off mirtazapine. This is the 4th time. Ive been on 30 then 15 mg for 2 years. I just found this forum and hope to find help getting off my antidepressant. Thanks for reading

Missy

I'm on that stuff too. 30mg. Do yo have a plan for tapering yet?

September 2014 to July 2015 - 20 mg Lexapro, 30mg Mirtazipine

August 2015 to November 2016- 10mg Lexapro, 30 mg Mirtazipine

Nov. 2016 to Nov. 2017 - 10mg Lexapro, 3.75 mg Mirtazipine

Nov. 2017 to Mach 2018 - 5mg/2.5mg Lexapro, 0mg Mirtazipne

Mach 2018 to Dec. 2018 - 0mg Lexapro, 0mg Mirtazipne

• Moderator Emeritus

MH, I moved your post into the Introduction and update forum.  Please keep a log of your journey here and start a sig line with a brief history and focus on your current medications.  One of the mods who is more versed in ADs will be along shortly.

Welcome to the forum, lots of good folks and information here.

As always, LISTEN TO YOUR BODY! A proud supporter of the 10% (or slower) rule.

Requip - 3/16 ZERO  Total time on 25 years.

Lyrica: 8/15 ZERO Total time on 7 or 8 yrs.

BENZO FREE 10/13 (started tapering 7/10)  Total time on 25 years.

Read my intro thread here, and check the about me section.  "No matter how cynical you get, it's almost impossible to keep up." Lily Tomlin

Hi and thanks for the replies. I have hust tapered down to 7.5 for a week so far. Im starting to feel ok with this dose. Im just playing it by ear at the moment

Cheers

Missy

• Moderator Emeritus

Welcome Missy,

I'm glad you found us and thanks for posting.

How did you taper down to 7.5mg? How are you feeling at the moment?

We suggest reducing by no more than 10% of the current dose every 4 weeks, this reduces the risk of withdrawal symptoms arising. Please read through this which will explain why:

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

Here are our mirtazapine tapering tips:

Tips for tapering off Remeron (mirtazapine)

It would be great if you would put your drug and withdrawal history in your signature. Doing this helps people understand your context, it appears below each of your posts. Here are instructions for how to do it:

http://survivinganti...your-signature/

Here's how to add your signature from a phone or tablet:

http://survivinganti...nature/?p=84105

Please feel free to write whenever you want, you will find a lot of friendly help and support here.

Petunia.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

Hi Petunia

Thanks for all the information. Ive tapered off mirtazapine a few times. I can usually quickly go to 7.5mg but after that it gets tricky. So I'll be taking it alot slower the rest of the tapers. When i was younger I was able to go cold turkey from 30mg after being on it for about a year. I dont have the responsibilities back then that i have now

Thanks again for your help.

Missy

• Administrator

Hello, Missy.

Your nervous system can get vulnerable from a lot of drug changes. Healing is slower as we age. Please be careful with your reductions.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Missy

Welcome. I am another Mirtazapine taperer. You obviously have experience tapering off. Nonetheless I'd still advise going slow. I have found that my experience hasn't been consistent from one taper attempt to the next. Having a history of tapers could mean you will struggle more with this one than you have previously. I've seen this myself and with many others here.

This doesn't mean you can't do it but that you might have to be more conservative than you have in the past.. The key is to listen to your body, it will tell you how well it's coping with the change.

The other thing to consider is delayed withdrawal. Some members find they get to zero and go ok for a couple of months and then get hit with symptoms. These symptoms can include emotional symptoms that look like a relapse but are withdrawal

D

Please note - I am not a medical practitioner and I do not give medical advice. I offer an opinion based on my own experiences, reading and discussion with others.On Effexor for 2 months at the start of 2005. Had extreme insomnia as an adverse reaction. Changed to mirtazapine. Have been trying to get off since mid 2008 with numerous failures including CTs and slow (but not slow enough tapers)Have slow tapered at 10 per cent or less for years. I have liquid mirtazapine made at a compounding chemist.

Was on 1.6 ml as at 19 March 2014.

Dropped to 1.5 ml 7 June 2014. Dropped to 1.4 in about September.

Dropped to 1.3 on 20 December 2014. Dropped to 1.2 in mid Jan 2015.

Dropped to 1 ml in late Feb 2015. I think my old medication had run out of puff so I tried 1ml when I got the new stuff and it seems to be going ok. Sleep has been good over the last week (as of 13/3/15).

Dropped to 1/2 ml 14/11/15 Fatigue still there as are memory and cognition problems. Sleep is patchy but liveable compared to what it has been in the past.

DRUG FREE - as at 1st May 2017

>My intro post is here - http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2250-dalsaan

Hi

I agree i need to take things slower this time. Lately I've felt more anxious about the thought of becoming medication free. I just need to give it time.

Only problem I've had so far is my body is aching like ive run a marathon. Every morning my legs feel so heavy and my feet sore. It really makes me wonder how much I've poisoned myself with this drug they say is not addictive. I beg to differ.

Anyhow thanks for the replies

Missy

Hi All

I am down to 7.5mg mirtazapine after being on the drug for 2 years at 30mg then 15mg for the last 2 years. So 4 years all up. I am suffering alot of aches in my body. It keeps me awake sometimes. My bowels are sore and i feel bloated.

Apart from that the only other thing is a little extra anxiety. Im taking fishoil and a herbal anxiety tablet as needed.

Has anyone else experienced this type of pain. Im assuming its from lowering the dose.

Also i have tried several times to come off this med. This time i am determined to get off it. Im in australia and the lowest mg i can get is 15 so Im halving soltabs. There is a compounding chemist nearby so im going to call about getting a liquid form for my next tapers. I know I'll be at 7.5 for a while though till i stabilize

Cheers

Missy

• Administrator

MIssy, I moved your post here. Please keep accounts of your symptoms and your progress in your Intro topic, to form a coherent history.

There are many existing topics about symptoms like yours in our Symptoms and Self-care forum, with for suggestions about how to cope with them http://tinyurl.com/3hq949zPlease add to existing topics when possible.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Hi Missyhissy,

I am also tappering from Mitrazapine, using Soltab. It is not easy but you will get there. Best wishes, Hopefull.

DRUG HISTORY:

November 2013- Zoloft, ( Bad reaction).

January 2014 - March 2014 Seroquel.( Quit Cold Turkey).

January2014- Mirtazapine, I was taking 15mg at one stage, reduced to 7.5mg, Pgad reactions to Mirtazapine. Doctor kept increasing it to 37.5mg, until July 2014. No improvement, experiencing panic attacks, on 37.5 mg. I had enough by October 2014. Began tapering.

October 2014- Started tapering Mirtazapine from 37.5mg.

September 2015- Down to 4mg of Mirtazapine. Crashed.

September 16th- Up dosed to 5mg. Held this dose for almost 5 months. Stabilised.

February 2016- Began tapering again. From 5mg to 4.5mg of Mirtazapine. (Rocking the boat, again)! Lol. :(

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Missy,

Just checking in to see how your doing?

Tgirl

April 2014 remeron 45mg.

June 2014 abilify 2.5 remeron wasn't working so abilify was then added

September 2014 woke up with anxiety x 100!!!!

Pdoc then took me from 45 to 7.5 within a month and took abilify from 2.5 to 0

Currently

Remeron 7.5

Vitamin d 5,000 iu taking for about 3 years

October 2014 added fish oil/omega 3 1000 mg per day

Levothyroxitine 100 10 years or so

Dec 2014 started tapering 10% every 10 days-no problems.

August 2015 down to 0.1 mg

Woke up with severe anxiety-sleep issues-racing thoughts-depression. 9/9/15 up dose 1 mg.