machawolf

Increased sensitivity to light, noise / sound etc.

ChessieCat

This is SA's topic:  inositol

UnfoldingSky

Bumping as I wanted to add, for lighting at night when needed I put up small strands of white christmas lights, so I didn't have to deal with brighter lights when light sensitive. 

Junglechicken

I have been sensitive to light for at least 3 years now.

Feel like a Gremlin......hate bright light.

Don't even have the light on in the bathroom as its too much, so have the light on outside.

UnfoldingSky
1 hour ago, Junglechicken said:

I have been sensitive to light for at least 3 years now.

Feel like a Gremlin......hate bright light.

Don't even have the light on in the bathroom as its too much, so have the light on outside.

I felt like a vampire...I was so sensitive that I could see perfectly fine outside at night in areas that had no lighting.  I used to freak out my family I'd be off going for walks in the woods at midnight, I could see so well in the dark back then I was not even afraid being there. 

alyheartsux3

Hey guys. I was on a combination of cocktail for 7 years plus have been on medications for 14. I am 22 now. I understand now all the crazy symptoms I am having are withdrawal, and it should get better with time. One of my most debilitating symptoms is noise sensitivity, which I have had for over 8 months now. It started out very mild right when I was starting to get tingling as well and is unbearable now. EVERYTHING sounds loud to me, and some sounds make me angry. I have always had misophonia (just water dripping bothering me). I went to an audiologist to see if I have hyperacusis, and she insists that my hearing is normal and I don't. She says that it is my limbic symptom that is messed up and I have normal functioning ears. She diagnosed me with misophonia. I also have Tinnitus in both of my ears that has gotten really bad recently. 

However, what I don't understand is why it is like the volume is cranked up. EVERYTHING sounds loud. It is hard to get dressed in the morning because dropping clothes on the ground sounds super loud, moving anything sounds loud. 

I've read all over SA that withdrawal eventually goes away. I'm wondering if this is permanent damage. I've had windows and waves where things are better, but overall in the past 4 months the noise sensitivity has gotten way worse to the point that EVERYTHING sounds loud, so it can't just be misophonia. 

Should I expect this to get better with time? The audiologist insists I have normal hearing. This feels like more than just misophonia and tinnitus with all sounds being so so loud. I'm afraid I'll never be able to work or go back to school. 

*It is hard to list all of the medication changes I have made since I came off and on so many. Coming off Gabapentin that I was on for less than 2 months seems to have damaged me the most and I am currently tapering Latuda and have noticed the noise sensitivity getting MUCH worse.  

Daisy

I remember when in 2012, I was tapering Effexor  XL and Xanax, noise actually hurt my ears. One time I was at Staples and the fire alarm malfunctioned and was going off. It was not good and I could not wait to get out of there. I never successfully stayed off an antidepressant, but I was off the Xanax for 4 years. The noise sensitivity did go away and I believe that yours will to. 

This time around, due to circumstances, I rapidly went from 50 mgs of Prozac to 5 mgs. There was a side trip on Lexapro if you read my signature. I am still on Xanax. I have tinnitus, but no sound sensitivity.

My best to you,

Daisy🌺

alyheartsux3

Hi,

I have come off and on many medications in the past year. Wanted to hear about any other experiences with noise sensitivity/how long it persisted. After continuing to taper Latuda after developing a noise sensitivity coming off of Trileptal, Gabapentin, and Horizant, my noise sensitivity is very extreme. I have always had mild misophonia. Now I have extreme misophonia as well as everything sounding loud. 

I've read online about the brain slowly healing and it eventually getting better. I'm currently holding at 40mg of Latuda (antipsychotic) that I wish to come off of, but the noise sensitivity has continued to worsen as I tapered, so I am stumped.

Stories about noise sensitivity during withdrawal/ improvement over time? What drugs were you on? How did you taper?

Thanks! 

alyheartsux3

Hi, 

i am in the hospital and am very concerned about the increased noise sensitivity. 

One week ago I experienced nausea, vertigo, ear pressure/fullness, and then sound has been amplified making it hard to do anything. Eat, shower, get dressed.  When you look this up on google, you see that it is a scary permanent condition. 

Does this sound like possible withdrawal or more likely a permanent condition? 

Earplugs and noise canceling headphones do not block out the sound. I have super hearing. 

In the hospital for my mood disorder after not being able to take withdrawal anymore so they aren’t concerned about my hearing or how it impact my ability to function. 

Steve61

Hi

Im suffering with sensitivity to noise . Trying to relax watching the tv at night is the worst. I hear next doors tv or rather sense it, I sense it as soon as they turn it on. It is driving me mad. I lalways felt that the 2or 3 hrs on my sofa watching tv was my relaxation and now it’s turning into a nightmare. I feel like killing my neighbours but logic is saying that it’s me. I haven’t noticed the sounds for the last 25 years and my partner can’t hear anything, so I presume it is me. This is hard. Windows and waves. More waves than windows.

Steve

Junglechicken

I absolutely hate slamming doors...…...high pitched screaming is bad too.

For the past 3 years I have had the light off when I'm in the bathroom, only keeping the landing light on.  I cannot have the light on in the bathroom.

Wear shades all the time when I'm outside, even in the overcast UK.

Steve61

Chicken, are you off all medication now ?

powerback
On 8/1/2018 at 9:20 AM, Steve61 said:

Hi

Im suffering with sensitivity to noise . Trying to relax watching the tv at night is the worst. I hear next doors tv or rather sense it, I sense it as soon as they turn it on. It is driving me mad. I lalways felt that the 2or 3 hrs on my sofa watching tv was my relaxation and now it’s turning into a nightmare. I feel like killing my neighbours but logic is saying that it’s me. I haven’t noticed the sounds for the last 25 years and my partner can’t hear anything, so I presume it is me. This is hard. Windows and waves. More waves than windows.

Steve

Try noise canceling  ear muffs ,I.wear them constantly in the house ,you could put earphones on under them to watch the tv ,they cancel out most background noise .I got mine for €8 in the builders merchants .I even sleep with mine on .

Steve61

Thanks for the advice, Powerback. Are you drug free now ?

Junglechicken
On 2 August 2018 at 9:45 AM, Steve61 said:

Chicken, are you off all medication now ?

Yes, have been for 4 months.

Steve61
1 hour ago, Junglechicken said:

Yes, have been for 4 months.

Chicken, has it been worth all the trauma to get to where you are now ?

powerback
On 8/2/2018 at 10:31 AM, Steve61 said:

Thanks for the advice, Powerback. Are you drug free now ?

Not drug free ,I've had a nightmare with reducing steve .there's many variables to environment for coming off drugs and some are much more sensitive than others.keep on your own path and do your best not to freak out from reading difficult stories.

Take care

Iatrogenesis
On 8/2/2018 at 11:08 AM, powerback said:

Try noise canceling  ear muffs ,I.wear them constantly in the house ,you could put earphones on under them to watch the tv ,they cancel out most background noise .I got mine for €8 in the builders merchants .I even sleep with mine on .

Or try earplugs, at least for sleeping. I use cotton/wax ones, I prefer them to foam earplugs, they're superior at blocking out noise for me.

1 hour ago, powerback said:

Not drug free ,I've had a nightmare with reducing steve .there's many variables to environment for coming off drugs and some are much more sensitive than others.keep on your own path and do your best not to freak out from reading difficult stories.

Take care

Oh my God, that's some good advice! Ha ha, the stories are really difficult to read, aren't they.

Junglechicken
8 hours ago, Steve61 said:

Chicken, has it been worth all the trauma to get to where you are now ?

I suppose when I have good days it is.