Jump to content
machawolf

Overstimulation: Increased sensitivity to light, noise, sound, exercise etc

Recommended Posts

IanM

I just wanted to add my experience to the thread.

 

I have a disturbing inability to watch anything on TV, or read almost anything on the internet or in books. When I attempt to do these things, I get the most irrational fear washing over my brain, and my brain goes into almost full meltdown. I can't accurately describe what happens, but it's terrifying (and that's not hyperbole).

 

I have a select few shows I can watch in reasonable safety, namely British comedy panel shows, and only a single web site I can read (other than this one) that is about virtual reality (a subject/hobby I love, but can no longer participate in, other than reading about it).

 

Also, I absolutely cannot listen to music...it also sends my brain into a tail-spin.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ChessieCat

I've discovered noise cancelling headphones and they are great.  At work I sit near an old, noisy air conditioner and they block it out really well.  I must look really crazy, sitting at the computer with my large (brown framed not black thankfully) blue light over glasses (they are much larger than my Cancer Council over glasses sunglasses) and my headphones.  The external walls of the building are full glass and there is a lot of glare and of course the fluoro lights.  The only issue I have is trying to get the arms of my prescription glasses and blue light glasses in the correct position so they don't interfere with the ear cups.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
FarmGirlWorks
On 7/9/2016 at 1:10 AM, Petunia said:

I've always had problems being under fluorescent lighting, at first its a subtle feeling like my perceptions are a bit wrong, there's a slight shift in the way things look and sound. Over time it makes me tired and irritated, then I get anxious and usually end up with a headache...

I have finally learned that this is exactly true for me. I was at an AA conference in LA... thought I could do it. Yesterday was in fluorescent lights with stale air for several hours. Left early with nausea and a migraine. Almost vomited and had to lie perfectly still for over 12 hours except for a bit of EFT tapping when I could muster movement.  Today spent most of it outdoors and drinking pu-erh tea. Definitely better if not baseline.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Steve61

I thought that I would just update on my situation with the noise sensitivity. In many ways it’s been the most disruptive symptom of my withdrawals. It’s so strange. When I have it, I am absolutely convinced that my neighbours are the noisiest neighbours in the world!! I have to watch tv with wax earplugs in and with the subtitles on . This can go on for 2 or 3 weeks and then it just goes. I will be sitting there, actually waiting for the noise and it doesn’t happen. For the first couple of nights , I will be convinced that they are out , then, I go to the wall, put my ear to the wall and I can just about hear it !!  It’s unbelievable the difference in noise intensity from one period to the next. At the moment , I haven't got it andI always promise myself that I will be prepared for when it happens again but it always takes me by surprise. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
India
On 6/4/2016 at 8:26 PM, tntd said:

I find that a lot of motion around me causes my anxiety to escalate. Sometimes my husband comes around a corner and it scares the heck out of me. Or if he touches me and I'm not expecting it. Noises also increase my anxiety. 

 

I have this too. Describes exactly . Motion of all kinds and wind ?? causes me to feel fear. Cloudy weather and cold  weather also frighten me. Also, when the sun goes in I feel fear. It’s like the sensory changes act on the cns and instigate the fight or flight response. I realise not only does noise cause pain but fear too! It’s all related. Someone mentioned it all then contributing to DR/DP. Get this too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
India
On 6/8/2018 at 8:21 AM, alyheartsux3 said:

I went to an audiologist to see if I have hyperacusis, and she insists that my hearing is normal and I don't. She says that it is my limbic symptom that is messed up and I have normal functioning ears. 

That’s really interesting . Need to find out more. It’s like my vision is disturbed by light sensitivity but I have been tested and have 20/20 vision.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
India
On 3/5/2019 at 7:02 PM, Steve61 said:

I thought that I would just update on my situation with the noise sensitivity. In many ways it’s been the most disruptive symptom of my withdrawals. It’s so strange. When I have it, I am absolutely convinced that my neighbours are the noisiest neighbours in the world!! I have to watch tv with wax earplugs in and with the subtitles on . This can go on for 2 or 3 weeks and then it just goes. I will be sitting there, actually waiting for the noise and it doesn’t happen. For the first couple of nights , I will be convinced that they are out , then, I go to the wall, put my ear to the wall and I can just about hear it !!  It’s unbelievable the difference in noise intensity from one period to the next. At the moment , I haven't got it andI always promise myself that I will be prepared for when it happens again but it always takes me by surprise. 

@Steve61This is fascinating. I’ve had no let up and I feel tortured by my upstairs neighbour. But though they do bang around I experience it like a building site. I have nothing to compare it to since no let up but suspect what you have proven with your own windows. I put ear plugs on when she walks around. Some weeks back I was also sending messages to my family from the guest room because they were talking in the hall way “so loudly”. Apparently, they were just talking normally but they sounded like they were shouting to me. It’s great you get respite. I wonder what helps it shift for you?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
India
On 12/29/2018 at 8:15 AM, ChessieCat said:

I've discovered noise cancelling headphones and they are great.  At work I sit near an old, noisy air conditioner and they block it out really well.  I must look really crazy, sitting at the computer with my large (brown framed not black thankfully) blue light over glasses (they are much larger than my Cancer Council over glasses sunglasses) and my headphones.  The external walls of the building are full glass and there is a lot of glare and of course the fluoro lights.  The only issue I have is trying to get the arms of my prescription glasses and blue light glasses in the correct position so they don't interfere with the ear cups.

This made me chuckle so much 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ChessieCat
25 minutes ago, India said:

This made me chuckle so much 

 

I hadn't realised how big my glasses were until I forgot to take them off one day and went to the bathroom and saw myself in the mirror.

 

However, I don't care about how I look so long as I'm more comfortable.  But I'm used to it.  I get some funny looks when I'm travelling on the train and take out a miniature storage box (like a lunch box with no lid) to use as a foot stool.  I have short legs and if I don't sit with a stool I get sciatica.  But I've also had people say to me what a good idea.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
India

@ChessieCat yes, it’s a great idea. Who knows, it might take off. In the part of London I live in (lots of artists) there is a general anarchy in respect to what is worn. You can literally wear anything and no one cares. Ive been out in my silk pyjama bottoms  and all sorts. It’s that kind of neighbourhood. I just chuckled because I like it. Wear what you want and what you need! It’s for you! I had been walking around city with silicone earplugs! Next purchase: ear cancelling headphones ! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Gth27

Did anyone have hyperacusis as a withdrawal symptom?  Im 3 months off and it keeps getting worse? Can it get better? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Miko789
On 12/29/2018 at 10:15 AM, ChessieCat said:

I've discovered noise cancelling headphones and they are great.  At work I sit near an old, noisy air conditioner and they block it out really well.  I must look really crazy, sitting at the computer with my large (brown framed not black thankfully) blue light over glasses (they are much larger than my Cancer Council over glasses sunglasses) and my headphones.  The external walls of the building are full glass and there is a lot of glare and of course the fluoro lights.  The only issue I have is trying to get the arms of my prescription glasses and blue light glasses in the correct position so they don't interfere with the ear cups.

 

 

I use also noise cancelling headphones, I believe they are the same sony 660 model

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
India
On 3/24/2019 at 10:21 AM, Gth27 said:

Did anyone have hyperacusis as a withdrawal symptom?  Im 3 months off and it keeps getting worse? Can it get better? 

Hello, @Gth27. though I have other symptoms and not fully healed yet, I can report my hyperacusis is significantly better. This happened so gradually, until yesterday I realised how far i’d come. 

 

Every noise struck terror into my heart. It was as if every noise was amplified and no discrimination. It was tortuous. Any noise would cause pain. I also got what I call ‘Superman hearing’ or the inability to distinguish distances of sound so sensitive was I to noise. Honestly, I developed a seemingly superhero  the ability to hear conversations normally out of earshot, this might have been fun if it were not so painful. I wore ear plugs all the time, inside and outside. 

 

Now I may get a relapse for a day if other symptoms bad but now I can tolerate most noises ( though still sensitive ), sirens, motorbikes, children crying in an extreme way, noise from the wheels against rails when underground (subway) windows are open are the only thing that trigger it, but I usually just put my fingers in my ears til it passes. 

 

It reminds me to be grateful.

 I noticed that sustained  peaceful environment and rest helped me with this symptoms . I feel like it was tied to cortisol response.

 

@emilie @Harriet8 @Hisame

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
AlaskanGlacier

Definitely still have the increased sensitivity to exercise, exertion, lifting weights, sports, etc. Other things have improved vastly, as I don't have the food sensitivities that I used to, nor do I have the chemical sensitivities to the extreme. Other things have relaxed as well, but the exertion malaise, sensitivity is still there. It's improved, but still there. .. which is tough, as I used to lift weights, play basketball, work hard, etc.

 

That's pretty normal eh? If I were to lift weights and work out right now, I'd no doubt for the next week feel a sharp increase in mood issues, very high anxiety and tremors, cognitive problems, increased akathisia and agitation, and be exhausted and in pain. It's just not going to happen right now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SolarPlexus

Hi everyone. I am 19 months into withdrawal and one of the toughest things I am experiencing (which is not abating) is an extreme sensitivity to screens (phone/laptop/TV). Like a vampire exposed to light, my head goes crazy when I pick up the phone or try to look at any screen (TV or laptop). I get strange sensations in my head and it even impacts my speech slightly. Like my nervous system slows down and I can't speak properly after I look at a screen for more than a few minutes. I am struggling to type this message (which I am doing indoors with sunglasses on to alleviate the strange sensations) but I need some information/reassurance from anyone. Is this a withdrawal symptom? I have a host of other symptoms but they are common WD ones so I can easily attribute them to WD. But this bizarre symptom. Anyone heard of it? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SolarPlexus

Anyone? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jeremy1069

Yes. I have very bad sensitivity to both screens and light. I don’t feel like I’m here sometimes. Dealing with it as I type this. I got a new TV in January and can barely watch it. I don’t know what you are coming off of, but I am about 17 months or so into this. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SolarPlexus

 Thank you for your feedback. I thought I was the only one. I started doubting that it's a withdrawal symptom but clearly it is since you're experiencing it too. It is listed as a symptom on the website of The Withdrawal Project. That's how I knew what this bizarre condition was even called. I came off Cipralex 19 months ago (had been taking it for two years) and at the beginning had a panic attack, anxiety and skin problems. Then about 5 months ago I was hit with a barrage of bizarre new symptoms including sensitivity to sound and extreme sensitivity to screens, speech problems, suicidal thoughts out of the blue, and muscle pain among others. I hope we all heal soon. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jeremy1069

At this rate I don’t think any odd symptom that seems to pop up is not related to withdrawal. Screens, light distortion seems to be one of the bigger ones. Might be related to the depersonalization. I’ve gone to ENT doctors for my bad right ear, eye doctors for my vision, a neurologist, had an MRI, went to dermatologist for my skin.  All gave me a response “There is nothing wrong.”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SolarPlexus

Dr. Peter Breggin, known as the conscience of psychiatry, said that after stopping these meds people can pretty much attribute any symptoms they have to withdrawal.  I did CT scans and MRIs too months back because I was getting dizzy spells and strange sensations in the right side of my head in addition to my speech slowing down whenever I looked at screens for a long time. The tests came back saying "all normal." Psychiatrists said it's anxiety. "Some of those symptoms are unusual but anxiety can cause strange things, " my shrink said. But of course I didn't believe him. It's amazing how clueless they are. The first time I ever got a panic attack in my life alongside spells of anxiety was after stopping those diabolical drugs. Then the rest of the symptoms ensue. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
manymoretodays

Hey, good topic.  Even now, 3 plus years out from many years, of many medications........I need to keep it all in a healthy balance.........the screens, the outside natural light, and how I do my reading and writing.

 

I suspect that some "normies" do need to do this as well.  Especially with the smart/Iphone, Kindles, I pads, and good old desk top screens.  Maybe this even includes those huge tv screens, often glowing all the time in peoples homes.

As a whole, we may well be just a bit more susceptible to the rays, those of us in some phase of WD or tapering now.

Our nervous systems are repairing, from dysregulation.

 

I've been working on reading some books lately, outside when I can.  And often print out longer documents or articles that I need to read.  Journaling on paper.  Etc.  Old school stuff.

As I do experience a weird fatigue, if I overdo on my screens.

 

I know we have a topic on fluorescent lights here too, and sensitivities to that. 

I've got to get screen free now though, or I'd look for it. B)  Going to get outside in some natural light and sunshine for at least a few now, as it's a very nice day, here, today.

 

It gets better.  It has for me.  And I can work around any sensitivities pretty well now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SolarPlexus
On 2/27/2020 at 9:45 PM, manymoretodays said:

Hey, good topic.  Even now, 3 plus years out from many years, of many medications........I need to keep it all in a healthy balance.........the screens, the outside natural light, and how I do my reading and writing.

 

I suspect that some "normies" do need to do this as well.  Especially with the smart/Iphone, Kindles, I pads, and good old desk top screens.  Maybe this even includes those huge tv screens, often glowing all the time in peoples homes.

As a whole, we may well be just a bit more susceptible to the rays, those of us in some phase of WD or tapering now.

Our nervous systems are repairing, from dysregulation.

 

I've been working on reading some books lately, outside when I can.  And often print out longer documents or articles that I need to read.  Journaling on paper.  Etc.  Old school stuff.

As I do experience a weird fatigue, if I overdo on my screens.

 

I know we have a topic on fluorescent lights here too, and sensitivities to that. 

I've got to get screen free now though, or I'd look for it. B)  Going to get outside in some natural light and sunshine for at least a few now, as it's a very nice day, here, today.

 

It gets better.  It has for me.  And I can work around any sensitivities pretty well now.

@manymoretodays thank you for your reply and reassurance. Yes in general we all need to cut down screen time but it's particularly pronounced in my case now because of WD. When I look at any screen, including right now, I get a strange sensation in the right side of my head and it makes me grit my teeth or reach out for chewing gum. One of the weirdest withdrawal symptoms I have. I can't stay long looking at screens. Haven't watched any movies recently because of this and had to take time off work because of the computer screen. I also have sensitivity to loud sounds and can't be near speakers. This affects my social life as I can't go to night venues or loud cafés. I'm hoping this will all dissipate soon. I try to spend as much as time as possible outdoors. And read paper books or listen to audiobooks. I wish you and I and everyone swift healing 🙏 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ismo

Yes I also have sensitivity to screens. But not as bad sensitivity than you have. It wasn't before I started to withdrawal. I recommend you to try omega-3 and magnesium l threonate. They may help.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SolarPlexus
49 minutes ago, Ismo said:

Yes I also have sensitivity to screens. But not as bad sensitivity than you have. It wasn't before I started to withdrawal. I recommend you to try omega-3 and magnesium l threonate. They may help.

Thank you @Ismo. I'm trying to get off all supplements and just focus on eating healthy and getting gentle exercise. I stopped taking omega 3 and magnesium. I'm currently tapering off Rhodiola Rosea. That's because I feel they relieve some symptoms in my case and trigger others. It's like walking in a mine field. But many people in WD say omega 3 and magnesium help them. Maybe after I'm off the rhodiola completely I can try readding them to my regimen. I'm also worried they interact with the rhodiola which is a powerful adaptogenic herb. I was told to wean off it and let my nervous system heal naturally without herbal intervention. Thank you so much for your advice. I hope we heal soon. Wishing you all the best. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Felisbela
On 2/29/2020 at 12:00 PM, SolarPlexus said:

@manymoretodays thank you for your reply and reassurance. Yes in general we all need to cut down screen time but it's particularly pronounced in my case now because of WD. When I look at any screen, including right now, I get a strange sensation in the right side of my head and it makes me grit my teeth or reach out for chewing gum. One of the weirdest withdrawal symptoms I have. I can't stay long looking at screens. Haven't watched any movies recently because of this and had to take time off work because of the computer screen. I also have sensitivity to loud sounds and can't be near speakers. This affects my social life as I can't go to night venues or loud cafés. I'm hoping this will all dissipate soon. I try to spend as much as time as possible outdoors. And read paper books or listen to audiobooks. I wish you and I and everyone swift healing 🙏 

I'm still in widrawls, with intrusive thoughts

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SolarPlexus
18 minutes ago, Felisbela said:

I'm still in widrawls, with intrusive thoughts

@Felisbela Same here. My latest WD symptom is waking up at 4-4.30 a.m. daily (cortisol spikes I guess) with a wave of depressive thoughts. They linger around for several hours till I get on with my day. I have other symptoms too ongoing. May we all heal. May we all heal. I pray daily for this. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Altostrata

Merged similar topics.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
zen81

Hello folks, currently i am on sertraline and propanolol. 50 mg and 40 mg respectively.

Of lately i have noticed my eyelids covering more of my pupil almost droppy type although i dont feel like droopy.

I am also sensitive to white light which sometimes casts reflection and when i widen my eye all is normal. Am i imagining things or is this real?

I have no issues with vision. Just i seem to notice my eyelashes more often.

I am not going to call my doctor because i hardly doubt he was have a clue. Has anyone else had this?

 

cheers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Altostrata

If you are light-sensitive, you might cut down on light stimulation by wearing sunglasses or blue-blocking glasses indoors and out.

 

It could also be the propanolol you're taking is causing you to be somewhat dopey.

 

Otherwise, it sounds like you're looking too closely at your eyes for symptoms.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy