machawolf

Overstimulation: Increased sensitivity to light, noise, sound, exercise etc

IanM

I just wanted to add my experience to the thread.

I have a disturbing inability to watch anything on TV, or read almost anything on the internet or in books. When I attempt to do these things, I get the most irrational fear washing over my brain, and my brain goes into almost full meltdown. I can't accurately describe what happens, but it's terrifying (and that's not hyperbole).

I have a select few shows I can watch in reasonable safety, namely British comedy panel shows, and only a single web site I can read (other than this one) that is about virtual reality (a subject/hobby I love, but can no longer participate in, other than reading about it).

Also, I absolutely cannot listen to music...it also sends my brain into a tail-spin.

ChessieCat

I've discovered noise cancelling headphones and they are great.  At work I sit near an old, noisy air conditioner and they block it out really well.  I must look really crazy, sitting at the computer with my large (brown framed not black thankfully) blue light over glasses (they are much larger than my Cancer Council over glasses sunglasses) and my headphones.  The external walls of the building are full glass and there is a lot of glare and of course the fluoro lights.  The only issue I have is trying to get the arms of my prescription glasses and blue light glasses in the correct position so they don't interfere with the ear cups.

FarmGirlWorks
On 7/9/2016 at 1:10 AM, Petunia said:

I've always had problems being under fluorescent lighting, at first its a subtle feeling like my perceptions are a bit wrong, there's a slight shift in the way things look and sound. Over time it makes me tired and irritated, then I get anxious and usually end up with a headache...

I have finally learned that this is exactly true for me. I was at an AA conference in LA... thought I could do it. Yesterday was in fluorescent lights with stale air for several hours. Left early with nausea and a migraine. Almost vomited and had to lie perfectly still for over 12 hours except for a bit of EFT tapping when I could muster movement.  Today spent most of it outdoors and drinking pu-erh tea. Definitely better if not baseline.

Steve61

I thought that I would just update on my situation with the noise sensitivity. In many ways it’s been the most disruptive symptom of my withdrawals. It’s so strange. When I have it, I am absolutely convinced that my neighbours are the noisiest neighbours in the world!! I have to watch tv with wax earplugs in and with the subtitles on . This can go on for 2 or 3 weeks and then it just goes. I will be sitting there, actually waiting for the noise and it doesn’t happen. For the first couple of nights , I will be convinced that they are out , then, I go to the wall, put my ear to the wall and I can just about hear it !!  It’s unbelievable the difference in noise intensity from one period to the next. At the moment , I haven't got it andI always promise myself that I will be prepared for when it happens again but it always takes me by surprise. 

India
On 6/4/2016 at 8:26 PM, tntd said:

I find that a lot of motion around me causes my anxiety to escalate. Sometimes my husband comes around a corner and it scares the heck out of me. Or if he touches me and I'm not expecting it. Noises also increase my anxiety. 

I have this too. Describes exactly . Motion of all kinds and wind ?? causes me to feel fear. Cloudy weather and cold  weather also frighten me. Also, when the sun goes in I feel fear. It’s like the sensory changes act on the cns and instigate the fight or flight response. I realise not only does noise cause pain but fear too! It’s all related. Someone mentioned it all then contributing to DR/DP. Get this too.

India
On 6/8/2018 at 8:21 AM, alyheartsux3 said:

I went to an audiologist to see if I have hyperacusis, and she insists that my hearing is normal and I don't. She says that it is my limbic symptom that is messed up and I have normal functioning ears. 

That’s really interesting . Need to find out more. It’s like my vision is disturbed by light sensitivity but I have been tested and have 20/20 vision.

India
On 3/5/2019 at 7:02 PM, Steve61 said:

I thought that I would just update on my situation with the noise sensitivity. In many ways it’s been the most disruptive symptom of my withdrawals. It’s so strange. When I have it, I am absolutely convinced that my neighbours are the noisiest neighbours in the world!! I have to watch tv with wax earplugs in and with the subtitles on . This can go on for 2 or 3 weeks and then it just goes. I will be sitting there, actually waiting for the noise and it doesn’t happen. For the first couple of nights , I will be convinced that they are out , then, I go to the wall, put my ear to the wall and I can just about hear it !!  It’s unbelievable the difference in noise intensity from one period to the next. At the moment , I haven't got it andI always promise myself that I will be prepared for when it happens again but it always takes me by surprise. 

@Steve61This is fascinating. I’ve had no let up and I feel tortured by my upstairs neighbour. But though they do bang around I experience it like a building site. I have nothing to compare it to since no let up but suspect what you have proven with your own windows. I put ear plugs on when she walks around. Some weeks back I was also sending messages to my family from the guest room because they were talking in the hall way “so loudly”. Apparently, they were just talking normally but they sounded like they were shouting to me. It’s great you get respite. I wonder what helps it shift for you?

India
On 12/29/2018 at 8:15 AM, ChessieCat said:

I've discovered noise cancelling headphones and they are great.  At work I sit near an old, noisy air conditioner and they block it out really well.  I must look really crazy, sitting at the computer with my large (brown framed not black thankfully) blue light over glasses (they are much larger than my Cancer Council over glasses sunglasses) and my headphones.  The external walls of the building are full glass and there is a lot of glare and of course the fluoro lights.  The only issue I have is trying to get the arms of my prescription glasses and blue light glasses in the correct position so they don't interfere with the ear cups.

This made me chuckle so much 

ChessieCat
25 minutes ago, India said:

This made me chuckle so much 

I hadn't realised how big my glasses were until I forgot to take them off one day and went to the bathroom and saw myself in the mirror.

However, I don't care about how I look so long as I'm more comfortable.  But I'm used to it.  I get some funny looks when I'm travelling on the train and take out a miniature storage box (like a lunch box with no lid) to use as a foot stool.  I have short legs and if I don't sit with a stool I get sciatica.  But I've also had people say to me what a good idea.

India

@ChessieCat yes, it’s a great idea. Who knows, it might take off. In the part of London I live in (lots of artists) there is a general anarchy in respect to what is worn. You can literally wear anything and no one cares. Ive been out in my silk pyjama bottoms  and all sorts. It’s that kind of neighbourhood. I just chuckled because I like it. Wear what you want and what you need! It’s for you! I had been walking around city with silicone earplugs! Next purchase: ear cancelling headphones ! 

Gth27

Did anyone have hyperacusis as a withdrawal symptom?  Im 3 months off and it keeps getting worse? Can it get better? 

Miko789
On 12/29/2018 at 10:15 AM, ChessieCat said:

I use also noise cancelling headphones, I believe they are the same sony 660 model

India
On 3/24/2019 at 10:21 AM, Gth27 said:

Did anyone have hyperacusis as a withdrawal symptom?  Im 3 months off and it keeps getting worse? Can it get better? 

Hello, @Gth27. though I have other symptoms and not fully healed yet, I can report my hyperacusis is significantly better. This happened so gradually, until yesterday I realised how far i’d come. 

Every noise struck terror into my heart. It was as if every noise was amplified and no discrimination. It was tortuous. Any noise would cause pain. I also got what I call ‘Superman hearing’ or the inability to distinguish distances of sound so sensitive was I to noise. Honestly, I developed a seemingly superhero  the ability to hear conversations normally out of earshot, this might have been fun if it were not so painful. I wore ear plugs all the time, inside and outside. 

Now I may get a relapse for a day if other symptoms bad but now I can tolerate most noises ( though still sensitive ), sirens, motorbikes, children crying in an extreme way, noise from the wheels against rails when underground (subway) windows are open are the only thing that trigger it, but I usually just put my fingers in my ears til it passes. 

It reminds me to be grateful.

I noticed that sustained  peaceful environment and rest helped me with this symptoms . I feel like it was tied to cortisol response.

@emilie @Harriet8 @Hisame

AlaskanGlacier

Definitely still have the increased sensitivity to exercise, exertion, lifting weights, sports, etc. Other things have improved vastly, as I don't have the food sensitivities that I used to, nor do I have the chemical sensitivities to the extreme. Other things have relaxed as well, but the exertion malaise, sensitivity is still there. It's improved, but still there. .. which is tough, as I used to lift weights, play basketball, work hard, etc.

That's pretty normal eh? If I were to lift weights and work out right now, I'd no doubt for the next week feel a sharp increase in mood issues, very high anxiety and tremors, cognitive problems, increased akathisia and agitation, and be exhausted and in pain. It's just not going to happen right now.