SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

5-HTP (5-hydroxytryptophan) and l-tryptophan

Punarbhava

If I were you, I'd try the two things separately. And I would be very careful with tyrosine, it can be highly activating http://www.livestrong.com/article/448045-l-tyrosine-side-effects/

Yeah it weird because l-tyrosine was too stimulating for me but the fast acting l-tyrosine known as N-Acetyl L-Tyrosine helped my anxiety and improved my energy levels as well. I thought it would be the opposite but of course, everyones' bodies react differently.

trintellix 1 mg and rexulti .5mg

• Moderator Emeritus

My doctor put me on 5HTP and Phosphatidyl Serine / Choline Complex (like Seriphos, diff brand).

I'm on 100 mg of 5HtP, and 1000 mg PS complex (no other added, just Phosphatidyl chelates)

NOTE:  I am not suffering protracted withdrawal, my withdrawal symptoms are more long term health problems, likely destroyed my gut & kidneys, NOT a serotonin problem, I've avoided SSRI's since the 90's, avoided SNRI's since the 00's (except for the ineffectual Reboxetine), but have used tricyclics on and off regularly.  I do not advise anyone trying this who is serotonin sensitive.

At first, my doc wanted me to ramp up the 5HtP, 100 mg increments until I was up to 500 mg.  THEN, the next time I saw her, she wanted me to discontinue it (I do not know why she said either thing).  

I am continuing at the 100 mg, as I am very sluggish.  I'm not quitting this until I get other things in balance.  

I do not feel the Phosphatidyl complex much at all, but it is probably working at the cellular level.

There are other uses for it besides "antidepressant," it helps with binge eating (yes, that's much better), supposedly sleep issues (I'm way out of whack there), some OCD issues (hair pulling, skin picking, hand washing, hand wringing) and migraine headaches.  I'm doing fair-to-middling on these sorts of issues - maybe if I had ramped it up like she said at first, I would get help - but I am afraid to increase.

So I continue on this one for awhile yet.  When I recommend to friends and family, this is not the first one I pull out of the hat.  I prefer to recommend NAC and Phosphatidyl serine / complex, to help with depression.

For withdrawal, I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole - that's playing with lightning.  (not fire, lightning!)

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, so I really liked 5-HTP, I used it on and off for over a year.

SO long story short, a little while ago, after taking 200 mg for about a week, every night in a row, I realized I was waking up in the middle of the night with symptoms of burning skin, hot flashes and feeling overall hot when I touched myself. I don't think I had a fever or anything.

I looked up my symptoms in correlation to 5-HTP, and "serotonin syndrome" came up so I decided to stop taking it for a while. I must have another 150 100 mg pills in a bottle left as well. I'm going to try magnolia bark because it is good for sleep, anxiety and depression.

• 3 weeks later...

So I'm in the process of tapering off Lexapro and I read in the book The Mood Cure that this supplement 5-HTP (link http://www.herbsdirect.com/product_info.php?products_id=3350&gclid=Cj0KEQjwyIyqBRD4janGs5e67IsBEiQAoF8DGnKpWx06_QMVTfUh3JW04sTD30hJt8L1LMeR1iVk9mwaApA88P8HAQ)that helps the withdrawal symptoms when tapering off SSRIs.

Anyone have experience or knowledge of this supplement?

Current meds: Escitalopram

Was put on 20mg Lexapro for 4 years; was at 18mg for ~1 week.

4/19/15: 15mg; WD symptoms include: loss of appetite, weight loss, nausea and indigestion after eating, diarrhea, and anxiety. Most of these happen at night.

6/5/15: 13mg; WD symptoms include: tiredness/lightheadedness, indigestion, numbness (emotionally)

7/6/15: 11mg --> 7/10/14: 11.7mg (wanted to taper by 10%)

8/10/15: 10mg; WD symptoms include: anxiety, nausea, GI upset, headaches

9/1/15: bumped back to 10.5mg (back to tapering by 10%); 10/5/15: back to 10mg

11/8: down to 9mg: feeling depressed so far ---> 11/16: bumped back to 10mg :(

1/23: back to 9mg; headaches, "motion sickness" feeling, anxiety

3/24: 8.5mg; 5/24: 8mg; nausea and dizziness bumped back to 8.5mg 3/26 :(

blog: https://offwithyourmeds.wordpress.com

Hi Blackrabbit-- Welcome to SA.  Trying to use supplements to ease the riggers of WD is usually futile.  Many more people report no or adverse results than those who get any relief. I would recommend staying away from 5-htp in particular as it is known to cause bad reactions in people coming off of ssris and the like.  Use the search function and you should find a lot of information on it.

Most people are not going to see your question here.  It would be best if you started a personal thread in the introductions and updates forum, that's where most people hang out.

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

• 1 month later...

I'm really nervous to try tryptophan for the fear of getting serotonin syndrome.

Paxil: March 2007 - February 2010

January 2011 - September 2013

Accutane: November 2010 - December 2010

Lexapro: September 2013 - present (20mg until Jan 2015 went straight to 10mg with no problems May 2015 went to 5mg and started feeling anxiety a few days later and just got worse. Reinstated back to 10mg a few days after trying to tough out the withdrawal. No improvements into June and was upped to 15mg. Still no improvements. Actually worse than ever.)

Klonopin: Occasional/temporary use between starting Lexapro. Never took longer than 2 or 3 weeks.

• 1 month later...

Hello all,

the end of the acute phase of my WD is around 2.5 years in the past. I still deal with some symptoms, but close to all of them are only unnvering and not severe anymore. I still have trouble with a bit of flat emotions (at least concerning positve ones, though had that before WD as well) and memory, concentration problems. One of my docs said that I should try L-Tryptophan. Does anyone have any experiences with taking it as a supplement? I am bit reluctant to test it, but somehow long for an improvement concerning my mood.

I'd be happy to read about any experiences you can share with me :)

Best,

Maybe

End of 2008: Remeron 15mg for around 2 months. Unorthodox taper, no problems.
End of August 2009: Lexapro 10mg for only 4 days. Panic attack after 3 pills. Severe gastro problems in the morning for 3 days after last pill. 2 weeks later strong w/d symptoms set in.

Acute WD lasted around 3.5 years. I am feeling much better today, 5.5 years out, but still have some symptoms left.

• 1 month later...

Been a while since I wrote here. Ended up here of coincidence searching for 5htp and I got scared again since this seem to have helped me last month but ppl here seem sceptical to this :///

Was on my last 2-3 mg of prozac and 10 mg buspar (the doctors solution for my anxiety connected to the prozac withdrawal ) until juli this summer when I stopped cold turkey . Got severly depressed and suicidal after some week. In the beginning of August I started taking seritosol(5htp, basílica and bacopa moneri ) I also take magnesium and b6 and curcumin and omega 3. my symptoms have been eased but from your posts I understand 5htp is not safe either :((((**((( so how long do I dare to continue? I take 100-200 day depending on how I feel. 50 mg à time.

Grateful to your replies!

//trying to survive still

fluoxetine since 13years followed doctors advice tapered 40 mg to 0mg in 4 months july 2015 august crasched in panic attacks etc end of september akatisia , nausea, crying alot no one told me it could be something called withdrawal I read it and also about going back to last dose No one knew if it was worth it. tried reinstate autumn 2014 5 mg prozac then 10mg since 29/11-2014 feel only worse sucidal for real, tried antihistamine 10 mg or oxascand (benso) 5 mg or valerian for anxiousness but sick feeling taking this. 6mg prozac to taper slowly down since 15/2-2014 (30ml out of 100ml water with 20 mg pill) tapered 10-20% per month until June 2015 super anxious depressed tired. Got Buspar may 2015 5mg 10mg 15mg headache etc
June 2015: 10mg buspar plus around 3 mg prozac quit this cold turkey in July 2015. One week later crying spells and suicidal. Tried 5htp.magnesium omega 3 until September. October 2015 tested vit D was 17 . Since October 2015 ONLY Vit D and magnesium . nov 2016 can laungh again! but still too anxious ,depressed or lethargic in waves can't focuS, Crying spells , scared, social fobia, bitterness. .. . Did not reinstate prozac again . Trying to survive ....

july 2016-troathpain /reflux starts...

If it works just now though, that's great yes? None of the meds that people take here could be considered safe, but were are on them until we are not. Until we can safely come off them. You can always taper slowly off 5htp when the time is right xx

2000 - sertraline for job anxiety low confidence (17 years old) ..which turned the next 16 years into nightmare!

On/off sertraline severe withdrawals every time. 2014 - felt better as reduced dose of sertraline no more inner restlessness. Doctor rushed off again. Hit severe withdrawal. Lost the little I had in life. Couldn't get stable again on 12.5mg. Was switched to prozac. Had severe reaction to prozac..came off in November 2015 at 6mg as felt more confused and damaged on it..Even more withdrawal ..rage, depression, dyphoria, near constant suicidal ideation, self harm impulses, doom, concrete block in head, unable to do much of anything with this feeling in head..went back on 6mg of sertraline to see if would alleviate anything. It didn't..reduced from December to June 2016 came off at 2.5mg sertraline as was hospitalised for the severe rage, suicidal impulses, and put on 50mg lofepramine which in 2nd week reduced all symptoms but gave insomnia which still have..psych stopped lofepramine cold turkey..no increased withdrawal symptoms new symptoms from lofepramine except persistant insomnia which has as side effect.

Taking Ativan for 8 months for the severe rage self harm impulses 1-3 times a week (mostly 2 times a week) at .5mg. Two months (I'm unsure exactly when the interdose started to happen) ago interdose withdrawal seemed to happen..2 days I think after the Ativan.

Nightmare that could have been avoided!

• Administrator

trying, I moved your post to this discussion.

If 5-htp works for you, it works. It's different for everyone. People sometimes find it to be too strong.

Taken regularly, 5-htp also requires tapering.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Thanks for your replies. I feel a bit drugged and brainfoggy but the worst anxiety seems to ease with this ...I try to not take more then 100 mg day now ...

The box recommends 600 mg day:/

fluoxetine since 13years followed doctors advice tapered 40 mg to 0mg in 4 months july 2015 august crasched in panic attacks etc end of september akatisia , nausea, crying alot no one told me it could be something called withdrawal I read it and also about going back to last dose No one knew if it was worth it. tried reinstate autumn 2014 5 mg prozac then 10mg since 29/11-2014 feel only worse sucidal for real, tried antihistamine 10 mg or oxascand (benso) 5 mg or valerian for anxiousness but sick feeling taking this. 6mg prozac to taper slowly down since 15/2-2014 (30ml out of 100ml water with 20 mg pill) tapered 10-20% per month until June 2015 super anxious depressed tired. Got Buspar may 2015 5mg 10mg 15mg headache etc
June 2015: 10mg buspar plus around 3 mg prozac quit this cold turkey in July 2015. One week later crying spells and suicidal. Tried 5htp.magnesium omega 3 until September. October 2015 tested vit D was 17 . Since October 2015 ONLY Vit D and magnesium . nov 2016 can laungh again! but still too anxious ,depressed or lethargic in waves can't focuS, Crying spells , scared, social fobia, bitterness. .. . Did not reinstate prozac again . Trying to survive ....

I feel completely off from my brain now :(((((((is it the 5htp or is it withdrawal from the prozac?

I'm a fan of 5-HTP. I know there are side-effects of this supplement but it does help for depression. At this time, I am taking it for OCD. I've been taking 50 mg in the morning and at night. I find it helps. The only issue is sometimes, it makes me tired. I know other people have complained about other more serious side effects. I guess it depends on the person, their biological makeup, other medications they're taking, etc. There are so many factors. However, I do like it. Just wanted to add it. If you need something for OCD or depression, I'd say give it a try.

• 3 months later...

An user of the web had PSSD problems due to use of 5 http and other SSRIs.

I was thinking about taking it but I won't after reading his story.

It messes serotonin dopamine etc... I think is.no safe

PROBLEM. PSSD 
Symptons:- 1 Not arousal, not libido: the sensation of "I could live without sex" - 2 I can get orgasms but they are much weaker. -3 I have noticed that my breast  don´t get swollen before menstruation (This has improved) -4  Lack of vaginal discharge (this has improved)- 5 Barely absence of vaginal odour
Induced by In Escitalopram 1 year and two months
Begining:10 mg per day -Jun 2013 to May 2013-
Reduce to 10 gr every two days - Jun 2013 to Aug 2013

Eventually quit on September 2013.

Slight Improvements. Window:  3 days on August 2015

WHY STARTING WITH IT?Great general anxiety that Esc. cured . Novemb 2015 anxiety hasd returned
Natural suplements or herbs you are having?: 1500 mg oil fish omega 3 daily since 28/1/2014.

December 15. 0,5-1 gr lorazepam per day. 

"if you come up with any good ideas, please let me know"

I tried it a little and it just made me feel nauseous. I also tried tryptophan and it made me feel quite depressed and I had problems focusing.

December 2010: 10mg Citalopram

April 2011: 5mg for 2 weeks then cold turkey withdrawal - Extremely bad depression / no emotions

June 2011: Reinstated 10mg - After 3 weeks started getting impulsive suicidal thoughts

July 2011: Cold turkey - Withdrawal hell begins...

January 2021: Reinstated 0.1mg Citalopram as last resort

February 2021: 0.2mg Citalopram for 2 days had bad foggy head so went back down to 0.1mg

Upon reducing I experienced low mood, suicidal thoughts, burning up, low appetite, very bad insomnia, mild diarrhoea

22 Feb 2021: Stopped all Citalopram after panic / depression attack and crying similar to when I reinstated back in June 2011.

4 April 2022: Reinstated 0.1mg Citalopram - Anxiety + foggy head

5 April 2022: Stopped Citalopram - More lasting damage...

• 4 weeks later...

Would anyone advise using 5-htp to assist with a their taper off sertaline? This is what I am currently doing but only take it 2/3 times a week, not sure whether I should now after reading the above info. Thanks.

2004 - Prescribed low dosage of Citalopram for depression/low mood. Took for about 6 months and then stopped cold turkey.

2008- Relapsed and was prescribed citalopram again (50mg) Took daily for 3 years.

2011- Switched to Sertraline after citalopram did not seem to be working for me anymore. Have been taking 50mg since.

Feb -2014 - Tried to taper off sertraline but reduced too quickly and relapsed after I failed to cope with a relationship breakdown. Got down to 25mg three times a week but by July 2014 after a relapse was back on 50mg a day.

August 2015 - Began second attempt at tapering. Took 50mg 4 days in a row followed by dose of 25mg every fifth day.

September 2015 - 50mg three days in a row followed by 25mg every fourth day.

October and November 2015 - 50mg two days in a row followed by 25mg every third day.

December 2015 - I am currently now taking 25mg a day which I plan to stay on for the next 1-2 months. 

June 2016 - Big relapse and went up to 75mg dsily

August 2017 - Present - Altered dose to 50mg daily 

• Moderator Emeritus

5-htp should not be used while taking an SSRI or any drug which increases serotonin, please read through this topic. Its also not a good idea to take it on an irregular basis. Stability and routine is key for a successful taper, the idea is to keep your nervous system as stable as possible.  See : The rule of 3KIS: Keep it simple. Keep it slow. Keep it stable.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

• 1 month later...

I've recently stopped taking SSRIs and don't want to start again but the problems I was originally taking them for (especially the anxiety) are not going anywhere so am looking into natural options such as kanna or tryptophan to help handle it. Either on a daily or as needed basis.

Just wondering if anyone has any experience or knowledge on either of these? Can they cause long withdrawals or side effects? I have been researching quite a bit and can't seem to find any negative stories at all... Doesn't mean there aren't any though...

Depression, anxiety and panic attacks since 2015.

Imipramine (TCA) 10mg per day for 3 weeks with then stopped.

Zoloft (SSRI) 25-40mg per day for 2 weeks then stopped because of sexual side effects.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hey zon,

Have a look through these topics, there are lots of ideas for non-drug anxiety treatments:

Important topics about tests, supplements, treatments, diet 

Non-drug techniques to cope with emotional symptoms

Personally, I've found L-Theanine and Inositol the most helpful with normal, non-withdrawal anxiety, I wish I'd found them before I ever took a SSRI.

and... 5-HTP (5-hydroxytryptophan) and l-tryptophan  which is one of the supplements you were asking about.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

Hey zon,

Have a look through these topics, there are lots of ideas for non-drug anxiety treatments:

Important topics about tests, supplements, treatments, diet 

Non-drug techniques to cope with emotional symptoms

Personally, I've found L-Theanine and Inositol the most helpful with normal, non-withdrawal anxiety, I wish I'd found them before I ever took a SSRI.

and... 5-HTP (5-hydroxytryptophan) and l-tryptophan  which is one of the supplements you were asking about.

L-Theanine helps with anxiety? I had no idea. I actually have a packet of it as I heard it was good for ADD although haven't noticed any real effects. Maybe I wasn't taking enough, or regularly enough. How do you use it?

Will check those links, also I just ordered some Kanna extract so will try to report back how that goes soon.

Depression, anxiety and panic attacks since 2015.

Imipramine (TCA) 10mg per day for 3 weeks with then stopped.

Zoloft (SSRI) 25-40mg per day for 2 weeks then stopped because of sexual side effects.

• Moderator Emeritus

Most people find that between 100mg and 200mg works quite well. The Suntheanine kind seems to be the purest form. It doesn't work for everyone though.  Have a look at our topic:  L-Theanine for anxiety, insomnia 

Also google L-Theanine reviews, that's what made me decide to try it.

My Introduction Thread

Brief Summary

• 3 weeks later...

I have made two huge mistakes this week. Mistake number 1. Trying 5-htp, only one pill 50 mg and getting a serious adverse reaction from it. After it my insomnia got worse, i got panic attack in the middle of the night, lost my ability to sleep, and i have slept only 3 hours per night (slept 8 hours before) whole week and woke up in the middle of the night to really bad feelings of anxiety.Next day i felt akathisia and feeling terrible in general. My nervous system sends signal of panic and i feel like my cortisol is so high. This hasn´t happened in months, because my situation stabilized. How stupid can a person be, who has got reaction from SSRI-meds after quitting and trying to reinstate them. Never ever gonna touch 5-htp again.

Then, listening my doctor, who prescriped Seroquel 25 mg to my terrible insomnia with Temazepam (Which i haven´t had any problem with). mistake number 2, trying seroquel. Whole night : Panic, waking up in the middle of the night feeling really anxious. Next day I have suffered all day from akathisia and feeling surreal and stupid.

2005-2009 Lexapro 10-20mg & Remeron 7,5mg: cold turkey

2010 tried Venlafaxine (month),

2011-2012 Seroquel 25mg (few months)

2014 6 days Cipro(antibiotics) adverse reaction

2011-2015 Lexapro 10-20mg (tapered off during 4 months) 

2015-2016 (all these drugs during 9 months during SSRI wd,did not tolerate most of them ) : tried Remeron, Temazepam. Reinstatement of Lexapro 3 months after stopping it: fail. Akathisia, insomnia. Zyprexa10mg, Sodium Valproate, Temazepam(20mg), Oxazepam 30-45 mgs. Switching meds: Seroquel 50-100mg, Oxazepam  30-45mg , Temazepam 20mg. Then back to Zyprexa 10mg, Temazepam20mg, doctor took me off Oxazepam fast. Then Zyprexa 20mg, Temazepam 20mg, melatonin10mg ( sometimes very rarely Valium 10 mg.) Zyprexa: cold turkey because 20 mg Zyprexa made akathisia intolerable after every dose. After it insomnia, 24/7 akathisia, adverse reactions to supplements.

2016 spring daily  Valium 15mg (for akathisia)>0mg (used for 4 months and during that time slowly tapered off), tried Betablockers (shortly), Temazepam 40 mg > 25 mg (tapered in 3 months)

2016 summer Temazepam 25 mg > 20 mg, melatonin 2,5 mg

2016 november Melatonin 0,5 mg, Temazepam 20 mg.  Started tapering again.

2022 july (microtapering) 3,0 mg Temazepam Supplements: Probiotics, magnesium oil occasionally, melatonin 0,5 mg

• Moderator Emeritus

Hennie, you're not stupid. 

You tried two things and through no fault of your own had a bad reaction to each. 

It's unfortunate and awful -- but you're definitely not stupid.

2020: After 18+ years (entire adult life) on Paxil, a dangerous doctor-led "taper" in 2015, and four years tapering off the last 1 mg thanks to SA and the Brassmonkey slide, 

I AM COMPLETELY FREE OF PAXIL! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! Forever.

2021: Began conservative, proper, CNS-respecting taper of Zoloft, led by the only expert on me -- me. Making own liquid. 5-10% plus holds.

2022: Holding on Zoloft for now. Current dose 47 mg. Hanging in, hanging on. Severe protracted PAWS, windows and waves. While I may not be doing "a lot" by outside standards, things are graaaaadually getting better

Yoga (gentle to medium); walks; daily breath practice; nutrition, fruits/veg; nature; water; EastEnders (lol); practicing self-compassion, self-care; boundaries; connection; allowing feelings; t r u s t ing that I, too, will heal. (--> may need to be reminded of this.)

"You are not alone, and this is not the end of your story." - Baylissa

I have made two huge mistakes this week. Mistake number 1. Trying 5-htp, only one pill 50 mg and getting a serious adverse reaction from it. After it my insomnia got worse, i got panic attack in the middle of the night, lost my ability to sleep, and i have slept only 3 hours per night (slept 8 hours before) whole week and woke up in the middle of the night to really bad feelings of anxiety.Next day i felt akathisia and feeling terrible in general. My nervous system sends signal of panic and i feel like my cortisol is so high. This hasn´t happened in months, because my situation stabilized. How stupid can a person be, who has got reaction from SSRI-meds after quitting and trying to reinstate them. Never ever gonna touch 5-htp again.

Then, listening my doctor, who prescriped Seroquel 25 mg to my terrible insomnia with Temazepam (Which i haven´t had any problem with). mistake number 2, trying seroquel. Whole night : Panic, waking up in the middle of the night feeling really anxious. Next day I have suffered all day from akathisia and feeling surreal and stupid.

I know where you are coming from in terms of trying to help your symptoms and I know from experience how hellish they are but I honestly believe ( and am sure many will disagree) but the best thing to do is brass it out. I tried 5htp very early on bad adverse effects, propanol when I had bad akathisia and palpitations, life endangering rebound effects. Came to see my WD brain like a wounded tiger. Best not to poke it with a stick ( drugs sugar caffeine etc) but to give it the best circumstances to calm down and luck its wounds. Like the enraged tiger it bites us if we aggravate it with substances. The temazepam is setting you up for an equally bad WD process. People can become addicted in as few as 5 tabs. I d take the insomnia any day and 3 and a half years off drugs I do know what that is like. Do not beat yourself up you are not stupid, you are trying to find a short cut out of a desperate situation or at least alleviate the suffering.

Paxil 10mg 21/2 years to June 2012 after a 2 month taper

I´m so scared right now....Seriously after getting a little bit of progress this kind of falling down is terrible. I´m so mad at myself of ruining my recovery. BE CAREFUL WITH SUPPLEMENTS and trying new meds with sensitive nervous system, i warn you of 5-htp!!.

I have a long history of psych meds and thats why im really sensitive to them nowadays. I quitted zyprexa a month ago and actually experienced windows in recovery, which i was really surprised with because of of my terrible medications. Even in Zyprexa i could feel somekind of emotions , but somehow it made me numb, but i could be active and sleep and i slept many hours after my terrible insomnia last summer. I was hospitalized because of my terrible insomnia and wd because of quitting antidepressants after using them 10 years. Any of the doctors understood how i felt. Somehow in a weird way, Zyprexa helped me when time progressed and i almost got away from benzos. I was crying all the time and panicking those days when i was hospitalized. Of course doctor wanted to put me on antipsychotics because i was extremely agitated, depressed and reinstating ssri:s didnt work. first trying seroquel > i got a bit of RLS(should have been a sign not to take this med) I was so mad because of that, because i felt i wanted to get rid of all meds and doctor had no experience in ssri wd, but i was also being desperate - i took benzos and AP:s to "help" me. And becaused i was in a hospital for some time. Hospital = MEDS. I cannot say how many times i have regretted quitting 2,5mg of lexapro, i slept normally with it and i could function, now im disabled, i cannot work.

I have felt depression after quitting zyprexa, why i wanted to try 5-htp. I think depression was a healthy sign, somehow. I used 5-htp once with good effects when i quitted ssri:s one time for a year. I started to enjoy things a bit, although i havent been the same since quitting ad:s my emotions, intelligence and so on.   I also slept well with a combination of temazepam and melatonin and started to tolerate things, my nervvous system had calmed down. Life was almost feeling a little better, with nice day rhytm with a little bit of enjoyable things, although of course it could never be the same as before. Now with my med history.

My situation has gone worse this week. I feel like my life is destroyed and i am the one to blame.:,( I have had very good progression for the couple of months.

Situation NOW:  I have developed terrible akathisia because of one pill of 25 mg Seroquel and maybe because of 50 mg 5-htp. My feet are killing me and im restless all the time. I have to move all the time.  I cannot think anything else. This akathisia may me the worst feeling i have felt during months(i have only felt a little bit of tremor and RLS).Im scared this is permanent. My doctor said: Go for a walk, when i said this to him.  :blink: I cant even sit peacefully. What was surprising,he wasnt saying anything of taking more meds, which he says everytime. He wanted me to eat Zyprexa before.   Instead he said, i should quit meds :rolleyes: He cant understand that im in a constant feeling of inner terror. My insomnia has continued. I wake up in the middle of the night to terror and uncomfortable feeling in my body. AND THE WORST: My head feels numb,and weird and i feel like i have lost emotions i have had. This is so scary, i almost feel like i cant cope if i stay like this. Every familiar emotion have turned to numbness and numb feeling in head, this is pure hell. :mellow: Why i couldnt just continue taking one pill of melatonin and temazepam, and be a little depressed, but i slept and progressed :  ( didnt feel any bad reactions to anything, coffee, sugar and so on. Why :( I didnt no anymore what is panic attack. Everything feels different  now. I regret especially taking Seroquel. My reaction to it when being in withdrawal from Zyprexa was terrible. Panic attacks, nervous system reaction, it was pure poison to me and i almost felt lobotomized after taking it, what a scary reaction. Next day my head felt first being in fire, tingly, then numb. Im scared of destroying my brain now, because too much is too much. It would have been better not to sleep than take Seroquel.

5-htp is pure poison. It caused depersonalization, severe sleeplessness, feeling weird, panic, tremor, muscle pains.... Why i thought i need serotonin, oh why.

What is the most weird thing - i have started to have reaction again to everything, even to melatonin(?!?!). I was desperate and took Temazepam last night and positive is i slept 6 hours waking up one time.

Why i had to do this. Why..Two pills, i am so angry at myself. I almost felt something and laughed and could lie still.I felt depressed but it was way better than this. I hate psychiatric meds, i wish my life wouldnt have been destroyed with those!!!! My doctor said, two pills could have not harmed me but i think otherwise. I don´t know what to do, im hopeless and suffer all the time. I prayed last night that this thing goes away but woke up to akathisia and numbness.

I have also lost my appetite ( i love food, coffee), i started to feel music again, now i dont feel it anymore and in general, all the pleasure and reasons to live. Feel like lobotomized. I want my old emotions back :,( Feel like some part of my brain has died during the week. Because of two bitter pills. I cant even think straight because of my foggy dead brain. Why on earth did i do this to myself.

2005-2009 Lexapro 10-20mg & Remeron 7,5mg: cold turkey

2010 tried Venlafaxine (month),

2011-2012 Seroquel 25mg (few months)

2014 6 days Cipro(antibiotics) adverse reaction

2011-2015 Lexapro 10-20mg (tapered off during 4 months) 

2015-2016 (all these drugs during 9 months during SSRI wd,did not tolerate most of them ) : tried Remeron, Temazepam. Reinstatement of Lexapro 3 months after stopping it: fail. Akathisia, insomnia. Zyprexa10mg, Sodium Valproate, Temazepam(20mg), Oxazepam 30-45 mgs. Switching meds: Seroquel 50-100mg, Oxazepam  30-45mg , Temazepam 20mg. Then back to Zyprexa 10mg, Temazepam20mg, doctor took me off Oxazepam fast. Then Zyprexa 20mg, Temazepam 20mg, melatonin10mg ( sometimes very rarely Valium 10 mg.) Zyprexa: cold turkey because 20 mg Zyprexa made akathisia intolerable after every dose. After it insomnia, 24/7 akathisia, adverse reactions to supplements.

2016 spring daily  Valium 15mg (for akathisia)>0mg (used for 4 months and during that time slowly tapered off), tried Betablockers (shortly), Temazepam 40 mg > 25 mg (tapered in 3 months)

2016 summer Temazepam 25 mg > 20 mg, melatonin 2,5 mg

2016 november Melatonin 0,5 mg, Temazepam 20 mg.  Started tapering again.

2022 july (microtapering) 3,0 mg Temazepam Supplements: Probiotics, magnesium oil occasionally, melatonin 0,5 mg

• 1 month later...

Hi this is the first time I've used this site. I am tapering my AD Zoloft . I just finished Dr. Kelly Brogans new book and she recommends working up to 200mg of 5-htp 3x a day or the equivalent in tryptophan when tapering a SSRI. Any thoughts or experience with this? Just curious.

August 2008 No previous history of Depression or anxiety I was hit with post-natal anxiety and depression after my sons birth. March of 2009- given 100 mg Zoloft May of 2009-given .25 Xanax 3x a day due to Zoloft not helping anxiety
2012 pregnant with daughter came off Xanax and down to 25 mg Zoloft
Oct 2012 after daughter birth put back on 100mg Zoloft and Xanax .25 3x a day
Jan 2015 tapered off Xanax over the year
Dec 2015 started tapering Zoloft 6.25 mg every two weeks- slowed this down in May to every 4 wks. Still pushed forward regardless of intensifying mental symptoms especially severe DP.
Down to 25 mg Zoloft mid sept 2016-
Dropped again 6.25 mg and things became so severe I decided to hold. 12 weeks later dec 2016-  at 18 mg Zoloft. I am suffering severe debilitating DP and with this a lot of other mental symptoms and of course some physical ones that I can handle.

Did incorrect liquid taper and realized 3 weeks later I had dropped 10 mg- done Dec 15-down to 8 mg Zoloft

Dropped 4 mg Jan 20th 2017-Current dose 4 mg Zoloft- Did this all wrong!

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi this is the first time I've used this site. I am tapering my AD Zoloft . I just finished Dr. Kelly Brogans new book and she recommends working up to 200mg of 5-htp 3x a day or the equivalent in tryptophan when tapering a SSRI. Any thoughts or experience with this? Just curious.

Cnb, have you read the 5-HTP thread in the Symptoms and self-care forum on 5-HTP (5-hydroxytryptophan) and l-tryptophan?  You may find your answer there.  

You might want to save it as a favorite or a bookmark. One of the moderators will be moderating at some point in the next day and may move your post there.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

• Moderator Emeritus

I haven't read her book but would be very dubious about taking serotonergics while still on SSRI/SNRIs even if tapering!  I used tryptophan and Sam-e while in withdrawal from Effexor, and they didn't stop the tidal wave.  I stopped the supps and started a very small dose of Effexor again, and by three days later I was in mild serotonin syndrome with fever, shakes, DP/DR, nausea, diarrhea, heart palps, dizziness, and more I can't remember!  I almost went to the hospital!

SG

Started ADs back around 1995 after bad break-up, starting with Prozac.  Switched to Wellbutrin, and then to Effexor in 2002
Effexor XR 2002-2014 up to 225 mg at one point, down to 37.5 mg towards end but back up to 75 mg in 2014; now realize I had W/D as I dropped down, memory very poor about history.  Extreme emotions, poor concentration as I stepped back down, didn't connect the dots!
Summer 2014 reduced to 0 very quickly, was sick of anhedonia/sexual dysfunction due to meds, depression never controlled if not worse. Didn't recognize WD since symptoms built slowly (thought I had ADD! and menopausal on top of it), starting with severe sweats, very bad cog-fog and memory issues, culminating in weight loss, severe anxiety and depression, panic, severe apathy and insomnia by eight months off.  Saw p-doc who put me on Remeron, increased from 7.5 mg/day to 37.5 mg by May 22, 2015; still doing very badly though able to sleep.

June 1. 2015 Reinstated Effexor XR 37.5 mg, Remeron dropped to 30 mg PM. Immediate relief of symptoms, like nothing had ever happened!  Joined SA and began on advice of friend who recognized it was WD all along! Began tapering in July 2015.

Been tapering both meds ever since, focusing on one more than the other or doing no more than 5% of each per month.

12 mg Effexor and 5.8 mg Remeron (mirtazapine SolTabs to make a solution with OraPlus) as of 5/4/2017 

Update 3/14/18: 2.9 mg Remeron and 6 mg Effexor; 6/10/18:  2.6 mg Remeron and 4.9 mg Effexor

My intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/9313-squirrellygirl-effexor-withdrawal-etc/page-2#entry196679

I personally wouldn't touch either if you are still taking Zoloft as that could put you at risk for serotonin syndrome.  I would think someone like Dr. Brogan would know alot better than to make this type of recommendation.

And just so you know, when I was tapering Doxepin, I took a multivitamin with 25mg of 5htp.  Suffered very mild SS issues.

Please be very careful.

Drug cocktail 1995 - 2010
Started taper of Adderall, Wellbutrin XL, Remeron, and Doxepin in 2006
Finished taper on June 10, 2010

Temazepam on a PRN basis approximately twice a month - 2014 to 2016

Beginning in 2017 - Consumption increased to about two times per week

April 2017 - Increased to taking it full time for insomnia

• Moderator Emeritus

No, don't risk it. 

"Using 5-hydroxytryptophan together with sertraline is generally not recommended. Combining these medications can increase the risk of a rare but serious condition called the serotonin syndrome, which may include symptoms such as confusion, hallucination, seizure, extreme changes in blood pressure, increased heart rate, fever, excessive sweating, shivering or shaking, blurred vision, muscle spasm or stiffness, tremor, incoordination, stomach cramp, nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. Severe cases may result in coma and even death." ~ Drugs.com

2001: 20mg paroxetine
2003-2014: Switched between 20mg citalopram and 10mg escitalopram with several failed CT's
2015: Jan/ Feb-very fast taper off citalopram; Mar/ Apr-crashed; 23 Apr-reinstated 5mg; 05 May-updosed to 10mg; 15 Jul-started taper; Aug-9.0mg; Sep-8.1mg; Oct-7.6mg; Nov-6.8mg; Dec-6.2mg
2016: Jan-5.7mg; Feb-5.2mg; Mar-5.0mg;  Apr-4.5mg; May-4.05mg; Jun-3.65mg; Jul-3.3mg; Aug-2.95mg; 04Sep-2.65mg; 25Sep-2.4mg; 23Oct-2.15mg; 13Nov-1.95mg; 04Dec-1.75mg; 25Dec-1.55mg.
2017: 08Jan-1.4mg; 22Jan-1.25mg; 12Feb-1.1mg; 26Feb-1.0mg; 05Mar-0.9mg; 15Mar-0.8mg; 22Mar-0.7mg; 02Apr-0.6; 09Apr-0.5mg; 16Apr-0.4mg; 23Apr-0.3; 03May-0.2mg; 10May-0.1mg

Finished taper 17 May 2017.

Read my success story

I am not a medical professional. The information I provide is not medical advice. If in doubt please consult with a qualified healthcare provider.

• 2 months later...

TOday I have started taking vit b12, folic acid and vit D. Just wondered if anyone could advise on taking 5htp on top of this?

Edited by KarenB
moved from stand-alone topic

<p>Several periods of depression starting in teens. 2010- 2014 escitalopram 20mgs. tapered to 5mgApril 2011- December 2011 seroquel2012-2014 don't know exact dates! 2014/15 Lamactil 200mg. 2015 lamactil 150mg. (Several attempts at coming off escitalopram and lamactil). March 2015 tapered to 37.5mg lamactil- Reinstated. July- Aug 2015 tapered off 5mg escitalopram. Dose reinstated Nov 2015.

7/1/16 Lamactil 137.5mg. Escitalopram 5mg; 24/3/16 lamactil 125mg; 20/4/16 escitalopram 4.5mg. 6/5 escit 4mg. 5/6/16 escit 3.6mg; 16/7/16 escit 3.5mg. 27/7/16 lamactil 112.5mg 18/8/16 escit 3.2mg 10/9/16 escit 3mg 16/9/16 lamactil 100mg 11/10/16 lamactil 112.5mg 28/10/16 escit 2.9mg 4/11/16 escit 2.8mg 10/11/16 lamactil 125mg 11/11/16 escit 2.7mg. 25/11/16 escit 2.4mg 10/12/16 escit 2mg 1/1/17 escit 1.7mg 17/1/17 escit 1.5mg 4/2/17 escit 1.4 19/2/17 escit 1.3mg 13/3/17 escit 1.2mg 22/3/17 escit 1mg. 4/5/17 escit 1.15mg 5/5/17 turmeric 800mg

actually, I've just read that 5htp shouldn't be taken at the same time as an antidepressant???

<p>Several periods of depression starting in teens. 2010- 2014 escitalopram 20mgs. tapered to 5mgApril 2011- December 2011 seroquel2012-2014 don't know exact dates! 2014/15 Lamactil 200mg. 2015 lamactil 150mg. (Several attempts at coming off escitalopram and lamactil). March 2015 tapered to 37.5mg lamactil- Reinstated. July- Aug 2015 tapered off 5mg escitalopram. Dose reinstated Nov 2015.

7/1/16 Lamactil 137.5mg. Escitalopram 5mg; 24/3/16 lamactil 125mg; 20/4/16 escitalopram 4.5mg. 6/5 escit 4mg. 5/6/16 escit 3.6mg; 16/7/16 escit 3.5mg. 27/7/16 lamactil 112.5mg 18/8/16 escit 3.2mg 10/9/16 escit 3mg 16/9/16 lamactil 100mg 11/10/16 lamactil 112.5mg 28/10/16 escit 2.9mg 4/11/16 escit 2.8mg 10/11/16 lamactil 125mg 11/11/16 escit 2.7mg. 25/11/16 escit 2.4mg 10/12/16 escit 2mg 1/1/17 escit 1.7mg 17/1/17 escit 1.5mg 4/2/17 escit 1.4 19/2/17 escit 1.3mg 13/3/17 escit 1.2mg 22/3/17 escit 1mg. 4/5/17 escit 1.15mg 5/5/17 turmeric 800mg

• Moderator Emeritus

No to the 5-htp if you are still  on an SSRI, which you are.  In combination with any serotonergic drugs, 5-htp can contribute towards the development of serotonin syndrome.  http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/serotonin-syndrome/basics/definition/con-20028946

Withdrawal from psych meds is caused by removing the drug too quickly when the nervous system had down-regulated the serotonin system in response to its action.  What you want to have happen while tapering is for your system to Up-regulate the serotonin system, which includes serotonin production.  If you supplement with serotonergic supplements, it's like still taking the drug; conceivably, your system won't be prompted to step up its own production so in essence it would be hindering healing.

SG

Started ADs back around 1995 after bad break-up, starting with Prozac.  Switched to Wellbutrin, and then to Effexor in 2002
Effexor XR 2002-2014 up to 225 mg at one point, down to 37.5 mg towards end but back up to 75 mg in 2014; now realize I had W/D as I dropped down, memory very poor about history.  Extreme emotions, poor concentration as I stepped back down, didn't connect the dots!
Summer 2014 reduced to 0 very quickly, was sick of anhedonia/sexual dysfunction due to meds, depression never controlled if not worse. Didn't recognize WD since symptoms built slowly (thought I had ADD! and menopausal on top of it), starting with severe sweats, very bad cog-fog and memory issues, culminating in weight loss, severe anxiety and depression, panic, severe apathy and insomnia by eight months off.  Saw p-doc who put me on Remeron, increased from 7.5 mg/day to 37.5 mg by May 22, 2015; still doing very badly though able to sleep.

June 1. 2015 Reinstated Effexor XR 37.5 mg, Remeron dropped to 30 mg PM. Immediate relief of symptoms, like nothing had ever happened!  Joined SA and began on advice of friend who recognized it was WD all along! Began tapering in July 2015.

Been tapering both meds ever since, focusing on one more than the other or doing no more than 5% of each per month.

12 mg Effexor and 5.8 mg Remeron (mirtazapine SolTabs to make a solution with OraPlus) as of 5/4/2017 

Update 3/14/18: 2.9 mg Remeron and 6 mg Effexor; 6/10/18:  2.6 mg Remeron and 4.9 mg Effexor

My intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/9313-squirrellygirl-effexor-withdrawal-etc/page-2#entry196679

• 2 weeks later...

THanks SG. That makes sense. Are you saying it shouldn't be taken even when off an Ssri if it has the effect of hindering our body's own production?

• Moderator Emeritus

Ali, stay away from 5HTP supplementation because the whole idea of taking 5-HTP and L-tryptophan is based on the same faulty hypothesis as SSRIs and other antidepressants, i.e. serotonin deficiency/imbalance.

There's at least one member here who has ACTUALLY HAD TO TAPER 5-HTP!!! Hard to believe I know, but it is true.

If you want a detailed explanation of this, buy or borrow a copy of Anatomy of an Epidemic by Robert Whitaker.

1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

Scallywag, I wonder if you have read Moodcure? It has good reviews on Amazon and the writer has a clinic where she apparently treats people in withdrawal with 5-htp and other supplements.

I have tried 5-htp myself but didn't get any result unfortunately, maybe the dose was too low.

Was on Paxil 20 mg between 2007-2016 for social anxiety.

Off Paxil since 29 february 2016, after 9 years on the drug.

Tried to reinstate 6 weeks later with no results, tried then Prozac and Zoloft on advice of psychiatrist with bad results. Meds free since 1 of june and in withdrawal which I don't know any more what it is caused by. ( Paxil, Prozac or Zoloft).

Withdrawal symptoms: severe insomnia, nausea, weight loss, anxiety, brain zaps sometimes, strange pains in different places on my body (could be caused by the anxiety though),gastrointestinal issues, jaw pain (gone now), poor memory (could be the lack of sleep), poor concentration, irritability, depression, hopelessness, rumination, tinnitus (gone)

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy