Horselvr Tapering off Escitalopram (Lexapro)

Horselvr

Hello Peers! I was diagnosed with Dysthymia in 2007 and started on Zoloft at the age of 26 and the dose was gradually increased to 150 mg. After reading the book "Anatomy of an Epidemic", I decided to titrate off Zoloft in the fall of 2013 but I did it by cutting my dose in half every three weeks for a total of four months.  I ended up with brain zaps, anxious thoughts, insomnia, vertigo, restlessness, irritability and cried nearly all the time. I'm not sure how I made it through work each day but I did.  The withdrawal was so bad that my husband threatened to leave me. So, I started on Escitalopram in January of 2014, first at 10 mg but my depression seemed to worsen so then 20 mg but now I feel completely numb and devoid of emotions. Starting on September 1, 2015, at the age of 45, I will begin the titration process again, this time at 10% a month. My husband is extremely worried about this process, as am I, quite frankly.  I am happy to have found this site. 

Zoloft (150 mg) from 1997 to 2013

Titration at half doses for four months

Started Escitalopram (20 mg) Jan, 2013 due

to withdrawal symptoms 

Titration at 10% doses:

Sept. 2015: 18 mg

Hello, I am new to this site as well. I have been on lexapro since 2004 before that was celexa and this all started with a doctor putting me on paxil for newly acquired insomnia in 2000 at the age of 24. I argued with doctor, they argued back and six months later told me to stop cold turkey. Ha. That's why I'm here now. My psych who was reducing my lexapro passed away and I had to find a new psych. Currently at 12.5 mg. I am forty now. Seems like we will be going through this together. Best of luck to you!!!

12/99 to 6/00 paxil 10 mg

10/00 celexa 20 mg ativan .5 at night

Stopped ativan 5/01

Lexapro 20 mg 12/04

Lexapro roller coaster since then from 10 to 20 mg

Ativan .5 as needed

Lexapro 15 mg 5/15

Lexapro 12.5 mg 8/17/15

• Administrator

Welcome, Horselvr.

Sorry to hear your taper off Zoloft went badly. Here's our topic Tips for tapering off Lexapro (escitalopram)

How long did it take for the brain zaps and insomnia to go away once you were on escitalopram?

Hello, tabbycat. Please start an Introductions topic for yourself so we can get to know you, too.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Tabbycat - Nice to know I am not alone! and likewise, you are not alone!

Administrator: The brain zaps went away within the first three to four days of 10 mg dosage of escitalopram but the weepiness and anxiety did not go away until the dosage was upped to 20 mg about three weeks later. The insomnia has never left. I blame my insomnia on usage of both SSRI's. It is one of the reasons I look forward to stopping usage completely.  Thank you for the topic on Tips for tapering.

Another note:The Zoloft completely took away my ability to have an orgasm or be interested in sex. The Escitalopram has taken away the interest for sex also but I can still have an orgasm. So, one of the main differences between the two: Less sexual side effects with escitalopram.

However, they have both left me incapable really of emotions which has caused me distress due to my faith in God and Jesus: I just feel nothing now... all the time... numbness so it is hard to worship, hard to pray, hard to sing because I just don't feel anything anymore.

Zoloft (150 mg) from 1997 to 2013

Titration at half doses for four months

Started Escitalopram (20 mg) Jan, 2013 due

to withdrawal symptoms 

Titration at 10% doses:

Sept. 2015: 18 mg

Horselvr,

Welcome to the forum. My last dose of Lexapro was about March 1 of this year. I hadn't found this forum at the time and tapered over a two week period. Now I'm realizing my mistake. You're in good company here.

I know what you mean about the numbness that can come with Lexapro. That was one of the reasons I hesitated to take it again this last time I was on it. I was convinced by someone else to start it though.

It's difficult sometimes to separate what we feel or don't feel from who we are. I realized as I started into WD this time that I was depressed. But the feeling was so alien to who I am it was easy to look at myself and remember how I normally felt and understand it wasn't "me".

Take that same lesson and apply it to your "numbness" and the distress you feel when it relates to your faith. You aren't your numbness, that simply is an effect of the medication. The distress you feel it's sound evidence of that, you wouldn't feel bad about it if that were really you.

I won't delve deep in religion or faith in my response but I will say that it's important to understand belief runs deeper than emotion. Emotions can be stirred like the waves on the sea during a storm...but dive deep below the surface and you'll find everything is still and peaceful.

What you are going through is not permanent no matter how much it may feel like it. It won't last. Sometimes during bad spots in this I remind myself of how I felt on good days...and I know I can feel like that again at some point in the future. So I wait as patiently as possible, doing what I can to strengthen my body so it can heal and the reality of good days arrives.

Lexapro four times in the last ten years. Each time 6 month use. Two week taper.

Lexapro 20mg August 2014 until Feb 28 2015. Two week taper

• Administrator

Yes, a common side effect of antidepressants is emotional numbness.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.