dalsaan

On not investing in drama - yours or other people's

sunnysideup69

Ooh, very interesting topic. I get drawn into drama very easily....my own and other people's. Unfortunately, it seems to be a bit of a family trait that I learned.

It's actually exhausting, in practice.

In a wave, I do find it very difficult not to believe the catastrophic thoughts that are being generated, but I try to tell myself that those are thoughts and that they can't actually hurt me.

The other place where I find this hard to manage is at work, but for the sake of my own mental health now, I'm doing it. Not getting drawn into gossip etc.

I also once gave a struggling member my real name/messenger contact, and what followed was textbook. Lots of daily messages about how bad they felt, which tapered off as they felt better. Then.....nothing. And no enquiry as to how things were for me, once they were better. Lesson learned.

It does take a degree of self awareness to realise when we are dramatising, and some people just don't have that. 

Anyway, great topic, and yes, I think getting the balance between honest self expression and remaining optimistic about recovery is key.

January 2008 to April 2015 Citalopram 20mg to 5mg, reducing in 50 per cent leaps. Jumped off at 5mg

March 2016 used MDMA triggered setback

April 2016 Citalopram 10mg October 2016 cut to 5mg, May 2017 cut to 2.5mg

May 2018 used MDMA triggered setback

June 2018 Citalopram 2.5mg up to 10mg, then back to 5mg

July/ August 2018 7.5mg, then 10mg

June 2019 updosed to 20mg Citalopram

August 2019 cold switch to Venlafaxine 75mg XR

Giulietta

Hello SunnySide,

What brilliant thoughts on an excellent topic.

I echo all of your sentiments - and facts - about being drawn into other people's issues. Even though we can offer others ideas (when we have them!) - being morally supportive doesn't always seem enough.

This was also conditioning on my part. I think women  may be raised to be more accommodating - at least in my family it was the case - on both maternal and paternal sides. This exacerbates things. It seems our needs come second. I feel like I am a sponge for other people's pain and problems and to some degree a carpet.

This certainly leads to negative thinking and catastrophizing - things that only retard our recovery and diminish our quality of life.

I have experienced the conflict between wanting nto support as many people in a material way as possible and on as regular basis as possible. It is hard to find a balance - both on SA and outside.

On 11/12/2019 at 1:55 AM, sunnysideup69 said:

I get drawn into drama very easily....my own and other people's. Unfortunately, it seems to be a bit of a family trait that I learned.

People may describe us as 'nice people' but aren't always there for us.

You summed this up so brilliantly.

I hope you have a very lovely day. Sending freezing cold weather from the USA. Wind brought it in and like in the UK - temperatures drop 20 degrees in a few hours.....sort of like our state of mind....🤣

Will pop by your page later - been straight out with this stuff and need a little break.

Hugs

Giuilietta

2014-present  Lamotrigine ER 600 mg (sz)

2000 - present  Clonazepam 1 mg (.25 mg am;.75 mg pm)

2000 - present  Gabapentin 1000 mg (sz)

2014-2019   Lisinopril 2.5 mg

2010-present Lorazepam/Ativan .5 mg prn only  (sz)

2005-2018/19   Assorted SSRIs taken intermittently, incl. dulox.

(6/2015-4/2020) Unwitting 20 mg duloxetine CT Dec 2018. Prev. CT from 20 mg  9/2018.

Suplmnts:  omega 3 fatty acid, CoQ10,  Calcium  Citrate with Vit D3/Mages.

I am not a medical professional. My comments are not medical advice.  They  are based on personal experience.