I did not have a good day today. But I'm not sure why. maybe it's still from the last cut, maybe it's a slight change in the pill. It seems to always be something in this mess I have going on.

Starting taking Anafranil when I was in 8th grade for OCD. I only took it for about one year. I had no withdrawel coming off as a freshman in high school. 

Then started various SSRI's my first two years of college. I felt side effects from all different meds but they were still prescribed by docs.

2010-Finally landed on lexapro for about one year and I noticed cognitive issues while on it.

Taper quickly off and felt very depressed for around four months. Was put on 50 mg Pristiq and symptoms got better but still had depression to a certain degree. Started getting severe issues from Pristiq so I tapered off over a four month period and have been dealing with withdrawal and healing from withdrawal since.

I was on Pristiq for about 2.5 years and then tapered off in the fall of 13'.

I am currently taking:

-255mg of gabapentin (holding for now)

-10 mg viibryd (holding for now)

-5 mg buspar (2.5 in the morn and 2.5 at night) (I weighed out half a tablet and it weighed about .053 on my scale so I started measuring it out to .050 with a nail file morning and night. That was my first cut. Beginning of December was when it was made). 

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DC112

• Altostrata

• ChessieCat

• scallywag

Top Posters In This Topic

It's been five weeks since my first 10% cut from gabapentin. The first week was terrible then I was ok for two weeks and now I have been really struggling with bad agitation about a half hour after taking it. It goes off and on all day, then subsides in the ev.

Am I not cutting the drug right? Could it be the scale? Could it be my place in Portland that I have come back to after surgery? Something maybe wrong with the counters? I leveled them and they seem good. But it seems like I started struggling again when I started cutting up my pills here. I don't feel like I'm settling in. But I don't want to updose. Maybe Benedryl or hydrozadin could help?

Starting taking Anafranil when I was in 8th grade for OCD. I only took it for about one year. I had no withdrawel coming off as a freshman in high school. 

Then started various SSRI's my first two years of college. I felt side effects from all different meds but they were still prescribed by docs.

2010-Finally landed on lexapro for about one year and I noticed cognitive issues while on it.

Taper quickly off and felt very depressed for around four months. Was put on 50 mg Pristiq and symptoms got better but still had depression to a certain degree. Started getting severe issues from Pristiq so I tapered off over a four month period and have been dealing with withdrawal and healing from withdrawal since.

I am currently taking:

-5 mg buspar (2.5 in the morn and 2.5 at night) (I weighed out half a tablet and it weighed about .053 on my scale so I started measuring it out to .050 with a nail file morning and night. That was my first cut. Beginning of December was when it was made). 

• Moderator Emeritus

Are you weighing your dose every night or do you pre-weigh a set of doses?

I would recommend the latter, using gel caps to put the dosages in.  If you have the Gemini scale, I have found it to be problematic.  It will say zero with the weigh pan on it, but weigh the same dose three times and you can get three different weights.  I have found that, although the scale says "0.000", if you place a 10g weight on it, it won't always read 10.000.  So, my answer to all of this is to calibrate the scale at the beginning of the weighing session, place the 10g weight on the pan, and only proceed if it says 10.000.  You could proceed with 9.999 then subtract 0.001 from the measured weight.   I find it easier to weigh chunks of a tablet rather than all powder, because it is too easy to lose powder along the way.

I am trying to get myself relaxed enough to accept a weight if the cal weight weighs true, but sometimes I feel better reweighing the sample a few times before accepting them as being good.  It makes weighing two weeks' worth of doses very time consuming, but then I'm done for two weeks.   Being this exacting may not be necessary at dosages over 200 mg actual weight, but I am weighing 59 mg, and if I want to cut to 57 but the dosage varies +/- 0.002, that's a problem!

This may be more detail than you care to know!

SG

Started ADs back around 1995 after bad break-up, starting with Prozac.  Switched to Wellbutrin, and then to Effexor in 2002
Effexor XR 2002-2014 up to 225 mg at one point, down to 37.5 mg towards end but back up to 75 mg in 2014; now realize I had W/D as I dropped down, memory very poor about history.  Extreme emotions, poor concentration as I stepped back down, didn't connect the dots!
Summer 2014 reduced to 0 very quickly, was sick of anhedonia/sexual dysfunction due to meds, depression never controlled if not worse. Didn't recognize WD since symptoms built slowly (thought I had ADD! and menopausal on top of it), starting with severe sweats, very bad cog-fog and memory issues, culminating in weight loss, severe anxiety and depression, panic, severe apathy and insomnia by eight months off.  Saw p-doc who put me on Remeron, increased from 7.5 mg/day to 37.5 mg by May 22, 2015; still doing very badly though able to sleep.

June 1. 2015 Reinstated Effexor XR 37.5 mg, Remeron dropped to 30 mg PM. Immediate relief of symptoms, like nothing had ever happened!  Joined SA and began on advice of friend who recognized it was WD all along! Began tapering in July 2015.

Been tapering both meds ever since, focusing on one more than the other or doing no more than 5% of each per month.

12 mg Effexor and 5.8 mg Remeron (mirtazapine SolTabs to make a solution with OraPlus) as of 5/4/2017 

Update 3/14/18: 2.9 mg Remeron and 6 mg Effexor; 6/10/18:  2.6 mg Remeron and 4.9 mg Effexor

My intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/9313-squirrellygirl-effexor-withdrawal-etc/page-2#entry196679

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

• Moderator Emeritus

Good ideas from SG.  DC, have you made any changes to the other drugs you are taking, and how is your sleep since your 10% reduction?

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

Micro-tapering: four weekly 0.4% cuts, hold 4 weeks (struggling with symptoms).

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.
Supplements: Fish oil, vitamin C, iron, oat-straw tea, nettle tea.

2023 December - Now on 5 micro-beads Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops. Symptoms begin to increase.

2024 April - Updosed to 6 microbeads - immediate increase in symptoms for 4 days. Decreased to 5 microbeads.

'The possibility of renewal exists so long as life exists.'  Dr Gabor Mate.

• Administrator

DC, what drugs did you take during and after your surgery? When was the last time you took one of them?

Did your problems start after the surgery?

It sounds like you have become more sensitive to gabapentin.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

SG - I pre weigh about seven days worth.

My gabapentin only comes in powder. Not sure what you mean about chunks.? Also, I was concerned about losing powder along the way because I put the power on the tray then put it onto a creased paper and funnel it in.

Have a better method?

I ad 002 to my cut to estimate that I lose that much in the transfer.

Update: I'm having severe depression today. I think it is mainly the gabapentin but also might have to do with the possible slight change in my buspar. I think MYLA changed there processing of buspar. I'm really in need of some solid better days soon.

I am currently taking:

Karen - I have not made any other changes to meds other than gabapentin. My sleep seems fine.

Alto - I was under general anethesia during surgery then your basic pain meds. I could only really tolerate Percocet. I didn't take much for that long. I didn't feel any problems from any of this. If anything I was feeling better in recovering. I only started struggling badly when I cut the gabapentin 10%

There were no issues with surgery and mentally I felt fine until the cut.

Thanks for the responses

Dan

I am currently taking:

Really struggling today

I am currently taking:

• Administrator

General anesthesia can make you more sensitive to drugs, particularly if you're already sensitized by changing dosages.

Did you cut gabapentin 10% after the surgery?

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Yes. I cut after the surgery. But was feeling fine after the surgery and before the cut. I didn't cut until a month after the surgery.

I am currently taking:

What does this mean moving forward in terms of the gabapentin and tapering in regards to possible issues with anesthesia? I was told that I reacted very well to anesthesia and felt well after it use.

Thanks

I am currently taking:

Sorry. I don't mean to bother. I just didn't hear a response to this.

I am currently taking:

I assume the surgery was a once off and not a weekly thing.

Personally i wouldnt worry about it.

It wont change anything in terms of the need to taper slowly as advised on this site. imo

Thought for the day: Lets stand up, and let’s speak out , together. G Olsen

We have until the 14th. Feb 2018. 

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

http://www.parliament.scot/GettingInvolved/Petitions/PE01651   

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

DC. I would think that if you handled it well and don't seem to have any after effects from the anesthetic then that's great and perhaps not worth worrying about anymore . Some are very sensitive to the effects of anesthesia in withdrawal .It can be problematic for some and bring on a wave of symptoms.  Maybe, for you it is indeed a result of the cut and / or perhaps a sensitivity to gabapentin.

What amount did you cut ? Maybe, it was a little too much on top of the surgery, even though it was a month after. I would now hold steady for a good while - perhaps a couple of months to let your system fully stabilize from the cut and the surgery. Holding, can help your CNS settle and stabilize after the trauma. Sometimes , any changes at all can be destabilizing and you have had quite a few in succession. Your system could possibly need some gentle / calm right now to recalibrate and find it's new normal.

Sometimes , the best thing to do is nothing at all. Perhaps, keep notes on symptoms & see if a pattern emerges.

Ali

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

Psych Drug - free since May 2014

I tapered 10%. I felt good and stable before I made the cut, even with recovering from surgery. So I'm not sure if the surgery had anything to do with my difficult cut, but anything is possible.

Does a 5% cut produce similar symptoms because the 10% cut really was very difficult and unbearable at times? I'm very concerned with the severe longevity of this process. How would I notice any benefit with five percent cuts.? Is it possible to get a reduction in side effects from a few small cuts? I feel gabapentin makes me dopey and definitely confused with some word finding difficulties.

I am currently taking:

Don't mean to be a bother, just really looking to understand this issue. I would really appreciate to hear from a moderator

I am currently taking:

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi DC,

No bother.  That's what we are here for.  Speaking from my own experience (you can see details in my signature) I tried doing a 10% drop but because I got painful ear pressure which I couldn't handle and updosed a small amount.  I have since been tapering >10%.

When tapering you need to listen to your body and throw out the calendar.  The aim is to reduce the drug so that it doesn't produce unbearable withdrawal symptoms.  Here are some links on slow tapers.

Micro-taper instead of 10% or 5% decreases
Rhi's "Start Small, Listen to Your Body" Taper Plan
Slowness of slow tapers

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Does anyone know how much the equivalent of 10 mg of viibryd is to pristiq? I was on 50 mg of pristiq and had major problems which lead to me tapering off too quickly.

I am currently taking:

Does anyone have any knowledge in this?

I am currently taking:

DC112,

I think that may be a difficult question to answer.

There was a study done on equivalent dosages but viibryd is not one in the study

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/11108-hayasaka-2015-dose-equivalents-of-antidepressants-evidence-based-recommendations-from-randomized-controlled-trials/

All i can do is have a guess.

Let me think about it.

Have you thought about venlafaxine/effexor instead of pristiq?

It would be great to see start dates and past drugs in your sig. No pressure

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

Well i confess...i have no idea so your guess would be as good as mine.

Viibryd appears to be a new ssri.

Can you recall the doctors reasoning for 10mg of viibryd was he trying to replace the 50 of pristiq. or partially replace it.

Maybe he was just guessing too.

I tried to think up ways things could be correlated eg molar masses etc but there appears to be no connection that i can see. I can see no logic to this equiv madness!

Zoloft has a half life of 26 hours , viibryd's is 25 hrs, could that mean anything?

Prozac comes in 10,20, 40mg so does viibryd. could that mean anything?

Im just thinking out loud ...if we can guess the closest drug to viibryd in the study then we can get the dose equiv of effexor and then we can work out the equiv dose of pristiq cos we also know 50mg pristiq is guestimated to be equivalent to between 100mg -150mg of effexor.

There seems to be great variation even among ssris eg 18mg lexapro is the equiv of  40 mg prozac =51mg remeron=98 mg zoloft. (though remeron is not an ssri)

What exactly are you considering.

I apologize i havent read through your whole thread.

Sorry not much help really.

nz11

Recovering paxil addict

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi DC

From what I can gather from your posts, you have been off Pristiq for nearly 3 years.  Is this correct?  If so, I am wondering why you want to know what the equivalent is of Viibryd to Pristiq.

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you both for the responses

I was curious about the dosages because right now I'm stuck on 10 mg of viibryd and am hoping it is effecting me less than 50 mg of pristiq.

Also. Is it possible for me to start taking my gabapentin at night. Maybe it will help the dopey feeling?

Thanks,

I am currently taking:

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi DC,

I'll check with the other mods about taking the gabapentin at night.

• Administrator

DC, how do you feel on 10mg Viibryd? It's impossible to tell if it's "affecting" you more than Pristiq. Only you can determine that.

Yes, if gabapentin is making you dopey, you could gradually move taking it later by an hour or two per day until you are taking it in the evening.

I feel like the 10 mg of viibryd is not my problem at the moment. My problem is Pristiq withdrawel added with side effects from gabapentin.

I was ten months off everything after pristiq but because I was in such bad withdrawel the doctors strongly advised I try other types of meds. They were thinking it was not withdrawel obviously.

I have some libido issues at times. But it comes and goes. This could be from viibryd. But I think most likely from pristiq withdrawel as it has been an issue since coming off. But it comes and goes. I have a girlfriend and she is very supportive and understanding. I am able to have intimacy in my life right now so I am thankful, even though it's not one hundred percent.

I will try to move they gabapentin back every day this week. Then I will make another cut. Maybe five percent?

Thanks for the help. This is the most challenging situation I have every dealt with in my 29 years. I am thankful that there are people who understand. I hope to be my whole self again someday soon!!

I am currently taking:

I moved my gabapentin an hour after my other two meds yesterday and woke up very irritable and uncomfortable. Not sure why this would cause Problems like this?

I am currently taking:

• Moderator Emeritus

It could be coincidence; it could be "simply" that your CNS (central nervous system) is responding to the change in timing.  Give yourself another 2-3 days with the same timing to see if if the irritability and discomfort continue.

1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

I ended up not switching my meds to the evening time right now. I didn't want to deal with issues every hour I moved it back. Will try a 5 % cut soon. Any ideas on afternoon drowsiness? Green tea? Black tea? Something that isn't hard on the nervous system?

I am currently taking:

• Moderator Emeritus

Raw cacao.  Or a nap :).

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

Micro-tapering: four weekly 0.4% cuts, hold 4 weeks (struggling with symptoms).

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.
Supplements: Fish oil, vitamin C, iron, oat-straw tea, nettle tea.

2023 December - Now on 5 micro-beads Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops. Symptoms begin to increase.

2024 April - Updosed to 6 microbeads - immediate increase in symptoms for 4 days. Decreased to 5 microbeads.

'The possibility of renewal exists so long as life exists.'  Dr Gabor Mate.

• 1 month later...

What does one do if the Gemini scale fouls up? It's jumping around up and down .020. Which is significant for me. I calibrate it and it is still doing it. If I wait long enough I can weigh it before it jumps.

Also, this seems kinda nerve wracking because what happens if this scale just messes up through my taper or randomly stops working right?

I am currently taking:

• Moderator Emeritus

Some people keep the calibration weight on the scale when they weigh their doses. They report that doing so eliminates some of the inconsistency at lower weights.

1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction

• 2 weeks later...

Thank u!

Also I am wondering how to get some more magnesium and omega three. I need to get it in my food cause the capsules upset my stomach. How about just eating salmon? Would that give me a good amount of omega 3? Also what about just eating foods high in magnesium? Would that work?

I am currently taking:

• Moderator Emeritus

Those questions are likely answered in previous posts in the topics about omega 3 fish oil and about magnesium. You're also likely to find good results on food sources through a google search.

Omega-3 fatty acids (fish oil)
Magnesium, nature's calcium channel blocker

scallywag's Introduction

I bought some organic eggs that's say they have 250 mg of Omega 3 in each egg. I also bought some walnuts. Also got some spray that has magnesium and Vit D. Also, I got some Epom salt for baths.

I am currently taking:

Also, I'm hoping I am using the spray right. It says 4 to 5 sprays on the bottle. Does it matter where I spray on the body? Should I just do this once a day?

Thanks.

I am currently taking: