SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Hello

I have been having severe mood swings for about a month now. Very challenging. It has to be the way I'm weighing out my meds. I'm not sure how to remedy this. Maybe doing all my pills for a week would help? I weight the tray to the same weight every time before I weigh the drugs so I feel that should make the amount on point. But something still seems off. It seems when I put the drug on the tray and scale and lift it the negative weight changes. Not sure why that is about? Need to figure this out because these mood swings are super tough. 

Thanks,

Dan

Starting taking Anafranil when I was in 8th grade for OCD. I only took it for about one year. I had no withdrawel coming off as a freshman in high school. 

Then started various SSRI's my first two years of college. I felt side effects from all different meds but they were still prescribed by docs.

2010-Finally landed on lexapro for about one year and I noticed cognitive issues while on it.

Taper quickly off and felt very depressed for around four months. Was put on 50 mg Pristiq and symptoms got better but still had depression to a certain degree. Started getting severe issues from Pristiq so I tapered off over a four month period and have been dealing with withdrawal and healing from withdrawal since.

I was on Pristiq for about 2.5 years and then tapered off in the fall of 13'.

I am currently taking:

-255mg of gabapentin (holding for now)

-10 mg viibryd (holding for now)

-5 mg buspar (2.5 in the morn and 2.5 at night) (I weighed out half a tablet and it weighed about .053 on my scale so I started measuring it out to .050 with a nail file morning and night. That was my first cut. Beginning of December was when it was made). 

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DC112

• Altostrata

• ChessieCat

• scallywag

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm having bad mood swings and am in need of support! I've also had a bad reaction to poison oak recently that has given me a severe allergic reaction for weeks. I feel like this has caused some type of more anxiety. I'm also wondering if I have some type of issue with my histamines. 

DC

Starting taking Anafranil when I was in 8th grade for OCD. I only took it for about one year. I had no withdrawel coming off as a freshman in high school. 

Then started various SSRI's my first two years of college. I felt side effects from all different meds but they were still prescribed by docs.

2010-Finally landed on lexapro for about one year and I noticed cognitive issues while on it.

Taper quickly off and felt very depressed for around four months. Was put on 50 mg Pristiq and symptoms got better but still had depression to a certain degree. Started getting severe issues from Pristiq so I tapered off over a four month period and have been dealing with withdrawal and healing from withdrawal since.

I am currently taking:

-5 mg buspar (2.5 in the morn and 2.5 at night) (I weighed out half a tablet and it weighed about .053 on my scale so I started measuring it out to .050 with a nail file morning and night. That was my first cut. Beginning of December was when it was made). 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi DC, I've just read your topic.  I'm sorry you've had such a hard time trying to taper.  I have tapered using a scale in the past but lately have been having some problems with it jumping around.  I'm wondering whether you could possibly get a compounding pharmacy to make you a liquid.  This would give you very precise control of your dose and avoid the problems you've been experiencing with using a scale.  I have done this before and using a 1ml syringe I could get reductions as small as 0.05mg (using a 1mg/ml liquid).

You have in the past expressed your feeling that an extremely slow taper would be pointless, but I'm not sure that it would be pointless.  In my experience different dose ranges can be easier or harder to taper, and where those ranges are seems to vary between individuals.  Some people find the higher doses easier and then it gets harder at the lower doses, which is a very common pattern for SSRI tapering.  Some people have found that it gets easier as their dose gets lower.  For some people it gets harder somewhere in the middle and then easier again lower down.  So you might not find it this difficult at every dose along the way.  Even if it remains difficult, some people are doing extremely slow tapers and gradually getting their dose down (GrandmaD is one member I can think of).  Some people do get quite bad withdrawal symptoms even with very slow tapers, but after holding they eventually get improvement.

Sorry to hear about your poison oak reaction.  I hope you get some relief from that soon.

2001–2002 paroxetine

2003  citalopram

2004-2008  paroxetine (various failed tapers) 
2008  paroxetine slow taper down to

2016  Aug off paroxetine
2016  citalopram May 20mg  Oct 15mg … slow taper down
2018  citalopram 13 Feb 4.6mg 15 Mar 4.4mg 29 Apr 4.2mg 6 Jul 4.1mg 17 Aug 4.0mg  18 Nov 3.8mg
2019  15 Mar 3.6mg  21 May 3.4mg  26 Dec 3.2mg 

2020  19 Feb 3.0mg 19 Jul 2.9mg 16 Sep 2.8mg 25 Oct 2.7mg 23 Oct 2.6mg 24 Dec 2.5mg

2021   29 Aug 2.4mg   15 Nov 2.3mg

• 1 month later...

hello

Would crushing up viibryd work well? Wouldn't the covered layer on the pills effect the weight? Maybe it would mix right in. Trying to figure out how to taper viibryd. I've had really bad responses to liquid in the past so I feel crushing might be the best way for me. 

thanks

dan

I am currently taking:

• 4 weeks later...

Hello

Has anyone put two pills, one crushed and one powdered, into one big capsule so you only had to weigh it once? Trying to avoid having to do a ton of work while tapering two meds. 

I was thinking I could crush a bunch of my 10 mg of viibryd, and taper from the crushed powder

Then I could just weigh out my gabapentin, which is already in powder form, put it in the double od sized pill capsules, then add the tapered amount of the viibryd. So I would be putting both the crushed viibryd and the original powdered form of  gabapentin into one capsule. This could possibly save me a good amount of time. 

Any thoughts on this?? 

Thanks

Dan

I am currently taking:

Any thoughts on this? 

I am currently taking:

• 4 weeks later...

Hello. 

I haven't heard from anyone for some time after asking for assistance several different occasions.  I understand that this is a peer support group so I know that it is people's own time they are spending to respond. So for that I'm appreciative. That being said I do see that many other members get responded to in a short period of time. Is there a reason why some members get more care than others?... Am I not getting responses bc mods don't feel they can assist me anymore?? I've read many mods/members responses, some to me in the past and many to others and I've read, that have great recommendations and responses to people.😊 I know that there are a ton of very knowledgeable and helpful people on this forum that give there time to helping others, possibly even while they struggle themselves. That is a beautiful thing!

I am very appreciative of this forum, and am thankful for the support I have gotten in the past! I would also be very thankful for continued support! Thanks! 

DC

I am currently taking:

Can't say if mixing two powders in the same capsule is a good idea - i don't have any knowledge on pharmacodynamics etc. Are you normally taking these two medications at the same time each day & with food? Hopefully one of the mods may have a better idea.

Paroxatine - 2004-2006

Effexor XR 75mg 2006 - 2016 (Discontinued Feb 2016) - Withdrawal for 6 months.

Effexor XR 75mg Re-instated June 2017 (Discontinued Dec 2017)

Effexor XR 2-3 mg Re-instated March 10 2018 - 1 day (Didn't work)

Effexor XR 2mg Reinstated (Again) May 11 2018. 6 Beads

July 2018 - 0.0mg of Effexor. Zilch

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Dan.

This site is very busy and the mods are few.  It's unfortunate that your post was missed and it was not intentional by any means.  Just to make the situation clear to everyone, the mods are unrostered volunteers, some also work, most of us are going through our own withdrawal and of course we also have the normal life issues.  We assist members as we are able.

On 8/18/2018 at 8:53 AM, DC112 said:

So I would be putting both the crushed viibryd and the original powdered form of  gabapentin into one capsule. This could possibly save me a good amount of time. 

Any thoughts on this?? 

Perhaps check with a pharmacist first.  Compounding pharmacists do combine some prescription meds for people.  They would have the knowledge about whether it would cause an issue.  It'd actually try and check with a few and see if you get the same response.  Then you could try it and see if there is any issue.  Only make up a few to start just in case problems arise.  And keep daily notes on paper of your dose time and symptoms throughout the day so you might be able to recognise an issue.

I hope that helps.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi DC, 

Im not sure about putting two different powders into one capsule but as ChessieCat said just ask the compounding pharmacy. I’ve read many stories on here but I haven’t read of anyone who has mixed two things in one capsule so don’t even have any reference there. 

How are your your mood swings going? 

Just thought I’d pop by and give you a hug🤗

Been on APs, benzos, ADs and opiates, for chronic pain. Had Akathisia in the past that made me suicidal. Still on Seroquel. 2019:➡️ March10=7.25mg ✔️ April17=7.0✔️ June5=6.75✔️ July14=6.50✔️ Aug28=6.25✔️ Oct10=6.20  ✔️ Oct21=6.0✔️ Dec16=5.80 ✔️ 2020➡️ Jan 21=5.60 ✔️ April2=5.40 ✔️ May29=5.20 ✔️ Aug14= 5.0 ✔️Sep29=4.80✔️2021➡️ Jan31=4.60 mg✔️ April24=4.40mg✔️Jul17=4.30mg ✔️ Aug 28=4.20 ✔️ Oct 11=4.15✔️Nov1=4.10 ✔️ Nov21= 4.05✔️ Dec13= 4mg ✔️2022 ➡️ Jan8=3.95✔️ Jan31=3.90✔️ March2=3.85 ✔️ April4=3.80 ✔️ June16=3.75✔️ July26=3.70✔️ Sep2=3.65✔️ Oct21=3.60 ✔️ Dec8=3.55✔️2023➡️ Jan 26=3.50✔️ March 17=3.45✔️ June12=3.40✔️ July30=3.35✔️ Sep14=3.30✔️ Oct31=3.25✔️This is NOT medical advice.Consult your doctor.

Thanks for the responses!

I usually take it with food, it after I have already eaten. 

The mood swings have gotten better. I'm unsure exactly what that was about. 

I am am not going to cut the vibryd at the moment bc it would be too much work cutting three meds. I already cut buspar and gabapentin. How does one switch to water? Does switching to water take less time? Right now I open a capsule of gabapentin and weigh it on a scale. Very time consuming.

I guess I have to accept that my life is on these drugs and tapering at this point as I am unsure how to even begin tapering gabapentin. Maybe I try even cutting the smallest amount. .342 to .341. Not sure what other options I have? 

Thanks for support!😊

I am currently taking:

• Moderator Emeritus

Tips for tapering off Neurontin (gabapentin)

From this post:

Make your own liquid
According to the FDA, gabapentin "is freely soluble in water." Many people make their own liquid for tapering from tablets, or the powder from a capsule, and water. (A liquid made from gabapentin and water is quite stable, see http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2309-tips-for-tapering-neurontin-gabapentin/?p=22919)

See How to make a liquid from tablets or capsules

Tips for tapering off busipirone (Buspar)

From Post #1:

Use a liquid solution

Tips for tapering off Viibryd (vilazodone)

From Post #1:

Make your own liquid
Like other non-timed-release drugs, one might make a Viibryd liquid out of tablets and water for more precise titration. See How to make a liquid from tablets or capsules

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for the info on liquids ChessieCat! I will look into this. 

Ive been having issues lately right after I take my meds. It's almost like it triggers withdrawal. Or at least that is how it feels. I take buspar in the morning and at night. Not sure if that has anything to do with it? Not sure what it could be. Like ten minutes after taking my meds, morning and at night, I feel very uncomfortable. Anyone have any ideas on this? 

Thanks

Dan

I am currently taking:

• 3 months later...

I have to weigh out gabapentin everyday. I weigh it to .342 mg. Which equals about 255 mg. If I am off by even 1 milligram, like .341, I seem to feel really messed up. Is this even possible? How could it be possible to taper if I have issues when I am .001 off? Epsom salt baths every morning maybe? Very concerned over this.

Best,

Dan 

I am currently taking:

Any thoughts?

I am currently taking:

• ChessieCat changed the title to DC112: struggles after Pristiq
  • Moderator Emeritus

I've asked the other mods for assistance.

• Moderator Emeritus
On 1/12/2019 at 4:32 PM, DC112 said:

I have to weigh out gabapentin everyday. I weigh it to .342 mg. Which equals about 255 mg. If I am off by even 1 milligram, like .341, I seem to feel really messed up. Is this even possible? How could it be possible to taper if I have issues when I am .001 off? Epsom salt baths every morning maybe? Very concerned over this.

Best,

Dan 

Dan, it's possible that some of your symptoms are actually side effects from the Viibryd breaking through as you reduce the gabapentin.

Please see:

Taking multiple psych drugs? Which drug to taper first?

Please note the concept of "brakes and accelerators".  You are removing a "brake" (gabapentin) while still on an "accelerator" (Viibryd). 

Also, as Alto noted in an earlier post regarding adverse reactions:

On 9/2/2017 at 2:23 AM, Altostrata said:

Using busPIRone together with gabapentin may increase side effects such as dizziness, drowsiness, and difficulty concentrating. Some people may also experience some impairment in thinking and judgment.

This is the last drug and symptoms journal post you made, taken from a post last year: 

On 3/11/2018 at 2:24 PM, DC112 said:

morning 9:00 to 11:00 am

(Feel drowsy and mildly depressant, but then I have water, coffee, and a good breakfast and I feel better

mid day 11:00 am to 2:00

(Take my meds at 11. Slowly start to feel over drugged with bad mental fog. Very hard to concentrate.)

afternoon 3:00 pm to 6:00 pm.

(Go in and out feeling unwell and very foggy, days range in severity on this

evening/night. 6:00 pm to 11 pm

( I slowly start coming out of the bad feelings/ fog / no motivation. Etc. have. Little issues again around 9 pm. But then I feel ok after)

Why are you taking all of your drugs at 11 in the morning?

You may benefit by spacing them out to prevent the adverse reactions, as well as taking the sedating drug gabapentin in the evening before sleep. It looks like some of your issues are side effects of your drugs and as the day progresses, you feel better. 

Please post a daily drug and symptoms journal over the coming days using the below format. Let's set up a better dosing schedule that will make you more comfortable and then an overall game plan for coming off. 

Please also post:

• how much you sleep each night
  • any supplements you are taking
  • when you are eating

On 9/27/2016 at 2:49 PM, Altostrata said:

In the course of discussion in your Introductions forum topic, you may be asked to keep notes on paper of your daily symptom pattern, including when you take your drugs, their dosages, and any symptoms.

What we need to see for every single day over several days is what symptoms you get before and after you take your drugs. If you're not taking any drugs, we need to see your symptom pattern throughout the day: Are symptoms worse at any particular times of day?

The time of day, dosage, and severity of symptoms are essential information. Include:

- Time and dosage for drugs taken in morning, with time and description of any symptoms in the morning

- Time and dosage for drugs taken in afternoon, with time and description of any symptoms in the afternoon

- Time and dosage for drugs taken in evening, with time and description of any symptoms in the evening

- Time and dosage for drugs taken in middle of the night, with time and description of any symptoms in the middle of the night (such as waking)

And so forth. A diary, in chronological order, looking something like this:

6 a.m. Woke with anxiety
8 a.m. Took 2.5mg Lexapro
10 a.m. Stomach is upset
10:30 a.m. Ate breakfast
11:35 a.m. Got a headache, lasted one hour
12:35 p.m. Ate lunch
4 p.m. Feel a bit better
5 p.m. Took 2.5mg Lexapro
6 p.m. Ate dinner
9:20 p.m. Headache
10:00 p.m. Took 50mg Seroquel
10:20 p.m. Feeling dizzy
10:30 p.m. Fell asleep
2:30 a.m. Woke, took 3mg Ambien (NOT "took 1/2 tablet Ambien")
2:45 a.m. Fell asleep
4:30 a.m. Woke but got back to sleep

Day 1

9:30 am woke up drowsy but not bad

10 am coffee/eggs. Feel better and more alert

11 am took 2.5 buspar, 255 mg gabapentin, 10 mg viibryd

3 pm, start feeling cognition issues, drowsy, trouble thinking clearly, drop in mood. 

7 pm, still feel condition issues etc. drop in mood.

9pm fog starts to wear off and I start feeling more normal

11pm take my evening dose of 2.5 mg of buspar

11:30 pm feel asleep.

4 am woke up with my racing feeling jacked up 

5 am feel back asleep. 

Day 2

9am alarm. Took me awhile to get out of bed from morning drowsiness.

10:30 am. Coffe/eggs. 

11:30 am take 2.5 mg of buspar, 255 mg of gabapentin, 10 mg of viibryd

3 pm. Start feeling fatigued, trouble thinking clearly, downed mood

5pm. Start feeling all these symptoms intensly. Hard to function

6pm eat dinner

9pm symptoms wear off

11 pm take evening dose of buspar 2.5

12am. Went to bed. Woke a couple times in the night but feel right back to sleep.

Day 3

9:30am woke up tired

10:30am coffee eggs. Feel pretty good

11 am. Start to feel jittery and some anxiety/panic

11:30 am take all my meds 2.5 mg buspar, 255 mg gabapentin, 10 mg viibryd. 

3 pm. Start feeling my mental cognition issues with a downed mood.

5pm. So tired that I take a nap for an hour. 

6pm make food for an hour

7pm make dinner

9pm more clear headed

10 pm feeling panicked and jittery

12 pm. Take 2.5 buspar evening dose. 

I am currently taking:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

DC, thank you for doing a great job of your drug and symptom journal. I apologize for missing it until today (we held a report open for you for nearly a week, but closed it as we thought you weren't going to respond). Let's keep a conversation going so we can work out a better schedule for spacing your drugs. I've re-opened your report to get more moderator feedback.

On 1/18/2019 at 8:40 AM, Shep said:

Why are you taking all of your drugs at 11 in the morning?

On 9/2/2017 at 2:23 AM, Altostrata said:

Using busPIRone together with gabapentin may increase side effects such as dizziness, drowsiness, and difficulty concentrating. Some people may also experience some impairment in thinking and judgment.

I'm coming back to this question of taking the drugs at 11 am because from your symptoms notes and from what Alto and ChessieCat posted earlier regarding drug interactions, grouping your drugs all at once is causing problems. 

Are you open to moving your gabapentin away from the other drugs? And from moving the Viibryd to earlier in the morning? 

I think you will benefit more from spacing your drugs out than from removing them right now.

On 3/11/2018 at 2:24 PM, DC112 said:

mid day 11:00 am to 2:00

(Take my meds at 11. Slowly start to feel over drugged with bad mental fog. Very hard to concentrate.)

afternoon 3:00 pm to 6:00 pm.

(Go in and out feeling unwell and very foggy, days range in severity on this

evening/night. 6:00 pm to 11 pm

( I slowly start coming out of the bad feelings/ fog / no motivation. Etc. have. Little issues again around 9 pm. But then I feel ok after)

This still seems to be where you're at even nearly a year later. You're clearly over-drugged, as you've wisely noted. 

I would recommend spacing the gabapentin out three times a day. I think some of your symptoms are side effects from taking them all at 11 am and some of them are interdose withdrawal. 

To do this, you would divide the gabapentin out into three doses of 85 mg each (for a total of 255 mg for the day). You would also want the gabapentin and the buspar taken separately and the Viibryd moved earlier in the day (note the interaction between Viibryd and buspar that Chessie posted here). 

The end result of moving your drugs is: 

9  am Viibryd 10 mg and gabapentin 85 mg

1 pm buspar 2.5 mg

3 pm gabapentin 85 mg

9 pm gabapentin 85 mg

10 pm buspar 2.5 mg

It's better to gradually move drugs by one hour a day. This can be very confusing when you're moving multiple drugs, but an example of how to start doing this is listed below.

You are now taking Viibryd, gabapentin, and buspar at 11 am and then another buspar dose before bed. 

To get to the new schedule with gradual moves: 

Day 1:

10 am Viibryd 10 mg and gabapentin 85 mg

11 am gabapentin 85 mg

12 pm buspar 2.5 mg

12 pm gabapentin 85 mg

10 pm buspar 2.5 mg

Day 2:

9 am Viibryd 10 mg and gabapentin 85 mg

11 am gabapentin 85 mg

12 pm buspar 2.5 mg

12 pm gabapentin 85 mg

10 pm buspar 2.5 mg

Day 3:

12 pm gabapentin 85 mg

1  pm buspar 2.5 mg

1 pm gabapentin 85 mg

10 pm buspar 2.5 mg

Day 4:

1  pm gabapentin 85 mg

1  pm buspar 2.5 mg

2 pm gabapentin 85 mg

10 pm buspar 2.5 mg

Day 5:

1  pm buspar 2.5 mg

2 pm gabapentin 85 mg

3 pm gabapentin 85 mg

10 pm buspar 2.5 mg

Day 5:

1  pm buspar 2.5 mg

3  pm gabapentin 85 mg

4  pm gabapentin 85 mg

10 pm buspar 2.5 mg

Day 6:

1  pm buspar 2.5 mg

3  pm gabapentin 85 mg

5  pm gabapentin 85 mg

10 pm buspar 2.5 mg

Day 7:

1  pm buspar 2.5 mg

3  pm gabapentin 85 mg

6  pm gabapentin 85 mg

10 pm buspar 2.5 mg

Day 8:

1  pm buspar 2.5 mg

3  pm gabapentin 85 mg

7  pm gabapentin 85 mg

10 pm buspar 2.5 mg

Day 9:

1  pm buspar 2.5 mg

3  pm gabapentin 85 mg

8  pm gabapentin 85 mg

10 pm buspar 2.5 mg

Day 10:

1  pm buspar 2.5 mg

3  pm gabapentin 85 mg

9  pm gabapentin 85 mg

10 pm buspar 2.5 mg

You may feel a bit more drowsiness by having the 9 pm gabapentin so close to the 10 pm buspar, but since you're in the wind-down stage preparing for bed, you should be okay. And this will evenly space our your gabapentin throughout the day to accommodate its 5 - 7 hour half-life. 

Question - are you taking any magnesium? Or other supplements? If so, please include them in your signature. Please note that magnesium blocks the absorption of gabapentin, so avoid magnesium for 2 hours prior to taking gabapentin.

Please post your thoughts on this schedule. It's going to be a full-time job to space these out over 10 days and you'll feel like some days you are taking a drug practically every hour, but I think if you do this, you will feel a lot better and a lot less drugged. 

• Administrator
On 1/24/2019 at 11:08 PM, DC112 said:

Day 2

9am alarm. Took me awhile to get out of bed from morning drowsiness.

10:30 am. Coffe/eggs. 

11:30 am take 2.5 mg of buspar, 255 mg of gabapentin, 10 mg of viibryd

3 pm. Start feeling fatigued, trouble thinking clearly, downed mood

5pm. Start feeling all these symptoms intensly. Hard to function

6pm eat dinner

9pm symptoms wear off

11 pm take evening dose of buspar 2.5

12am. Went to bed. Woke a couple times in the night but feel right back to sleep.

DC, thanks for those good notes. It's pretty obvious that your symptoms from mid-afternoon to evening are side effects from the cocktail you're taking at 11-11:30. That slug of gabapentin alone might be causing those symptoms.

I agree with Shep that distributing your drugs over the day rather than taking the 3 at once probably would reduce your symptoms. Or, it may make you dopey throughout the day, but not as dopey as you are now.

Even moving half your gabapentin dose to nighttime might reduce the daytime stupor. If you move half of the gabapentin to nighttime, you probably wouldn't need Buspar to sleep.

How are you measuring the gabapentin again? Have you tried the liquid? You can divide the dose in a way that would be convenient, such as one 100mg capsule in the morning and 155mg at night.

I'd then reduce your drug burden by going off Buspar. What happened the last time you reduced Buspar?

Why is it again you're taking all these drugs? What did your doctor say about these adverse effects?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Hello.. 

First off Shep I appreciate your input and ideas! Alto, thank you as well!.. Then to follow up on questions.

I def have read about 'accelerators and breaks' but figured that the gabapentin was causing most the issues so I should work on getting off that drug first. Also, I am aware of the interactions of the meds, but only from what you guys sent me in the past, I was never told this by a doc. 

I take all the drugs in the morn because I was told I could by a doc and do it for convienance. 

I remember trying to move gabapentin back an hour before in the past but had bad issues. 

Although I agree with the idea of splitting up my meds cause of the interactions, splitting up gabapentin three times would be too much. I already have to weigh out gabapentin and buspar for every day. Weighing out five meds for one day would be too time consuming and also I feel like I would have horrible withdrawal symptoms from getting a much smaller dose of gabapentin, because even when I am off by a little I get severe issues. Hopefully i can still move some meds around though and get relief.. Like the buspar away from the vibbryd, etc. 

I use magnesium often. How would I use magnesium if I had to split up 2 or 3 times?

I do not take buspar to sleep, I take it twice a day bc that was how I was directed to take it. 

I measure out gabapentin on a Gemini 20 scale. The manufacturer is Ascends and it comes in powder form. I weigh out the powder to .342 which equals about 255mgs... I have never made my own liquid. The thought of that makes me uneasy as I have had a horrible reaction before from a liquid med from a compounding pharmacy. Probably something in the way they compounded it. How would I travel with liquid? How could I go on backpacking trips? How would I fly with liquid? I often have meds on me so I can take them wherever I'm at.

I felt some withdrawal the last time I cut buspar,.. I think?

I'm taking all these drugs bc I was really struggling after Pristiq withdrawal. I was told by docs it wasn't withdrawal, even though I knew it was. I was hoping for some relief as I was really suffering. they were all prescribed by different docs. And I was never told about any of the possible adverse interactions/effects. 

Look forward to continued conversation!

Dan

I am currently taking:

• Administrator
37 minutes ago, DC112 said:

I felt some withdrawal the last time I cut buspar,.. I think?

You might look back in this topic to see what happened when you reduced Buspar.

Yes, I agree, it's probably the gabapentin that's making you dopey. As you are taking 255mg at once, you might decrease 5mg to start, see what happens, Please keep notes every time you make a drug change. Let us know how you do.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

• Moderator Emeritus
19 hours ago, DC112 said:

I remember trying to move gabapentin back an hour before in the past but had bad issues. 

Was that the only change you made at that time? How long did you give it before moving it back?

As Alto mentioned, reducing it by just 5 mg might be a good place to start since moving it caused problems. That's just a gentle 2% reduction.

On 1/12/2019 at 1:32 PM, DC112 said:

Best,

Dan 

Im unable to make gabapentin reductions at this point. Possibly the brakes v acceleraters reason like u mentioned Shep. 

Yes that was evonly change at that time. I only did it for a day caue I was very uncomfortable 

Not sure what to do. I’ve been in this position with these meds at these doses for 3 years. I am in need of a plan of change for the better.😊

Dan 

I am currently taking:

• Moderator Emeritus
11 hours ago, DC112 said:

Yes that was evonly change at that time. I only did it for a day caue I was very uncomfortable 

It takes about 4 days for your nervous system to register a change and then it can take a week or longer for your nervous system to adjust to the change. You'll have a few bumps in the road as this happens. Sounds like you didn't give this a chance before going back. 

Def am familiar with the bumps in this path as I have been doing this all for many years.😊. It is to Ben dealt with though. 

What if I took buspar and viibryd at 9am and gabapentin at 11am? 

Dan

I am currently taking:

• Moderator Emeritus
On 2/19/2019 at 5:54 PM, DC112 said:

What if I took buspar and viibryd at 9am and gabapentin at 11am? 

Anything you can do to separate them will likely be an improvement.

Please let us know how you do. 

• 3 weeks later...

I haven’t made the move on taking viibryd and buspar before gabapentin in the morning, but I plan on it sometime in the near future. 

I took my evening dose of buspar last night like I always do and about 20 mins later I started inching all over and was extremely uncomfortable in a way that’s hard to describe and I had difficulty breathing. It all happened at once. Maybe an allergic response? I’m still having some symptoms today from it. I can’t obviously stop the med or else I would. Just wanted to report this. 

Best

Dan 

I am currently taking:

• Moderator Emeritus
15 hours ago, DC112 said:

I took my evening dose of buspar last night like I always do and about 20 mins later I started inching all over and was extremely uncomfortable in a way that’s hard to describe and I had difficulty breathing. It all happened at once. Maybe an allergic response? I’m still having some symptoms today from it. I can’t obviously stop the med or else I would. Just wanted to report this. 

Do you take your buspar with food? If so, what did you eat? 

Some people become acutely ill with histamine intolerance and have to go on a low histamine diet. 

Histamine food intolerance

I didn’t take it with food. I never take food with my evening dose.

histamine response? Sounds Intense. 

Do you think given this response, (and last nights response, cause it happened again) that I should go on a low histamine diet?

I am currently taking:

• Moderator Emeritus

I don't know, DC. You stated you didn't take the buspar with food, so if you hadn't eaten anything, I'm not sure why you would have had that reaction 20 minutes later.

Is this happening every time you take buspar? If so, you may be getting the severe side effects that are listed below: 

Rxlist.com - Buspar Side Effects

Get emergency medical help if you have signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficult breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.

Call your doctor at once if you have:

chest pain;

shortness of breath; or

a light-headed feeling, like you might pass out.

Common side effects may include:

headache;

dizziness, drowsiness;

sleep problems (insomnia);

nausea, upset stomach; or

feeling nervous or excited.

Please let us now if this is happening regularly and if there is nothing else that could be causing it. It's possible you've developed a severe sensitivity to this drug due to your nervous system being destabilized and you may not to do a faster taper than we normally recommend due to this. 

• Moderator Emeritus
On 2/2/2019 at 3:56 PM, Altostrata said:

Even moving half your gabapentin dose to nighttime might reduce the daytime stupor. If you move half of the gabapentin to nighttime, you probably wouldn't need Buspar to sleep.

Please note Alto's comment about not needing Buspar to sleep if you were able to move the gabapentin. Just wanting to emphasize this in case you due find yourself needing to eliminate the Buspar. 

Well this is a stressful way to start the day😉😊

I doesn’t happen every time. It does happen ‘sometimes’ generally to a ‘somewhat’ less degree of severity than recently. 

I do get random symptoms after taking all my meds. But it all comes and goes so I can never pin point it

example: everyday around 4-6 ish I get some tightness in my chest and agitation. Frankly just have always thought it was issues from all my meds combined... fun thought

i don’t take the buspar at night to sleep I take it at night because that’s how the drug was recommended to me to be taken. Morning and night. Maybe I should time that differently? 

If I did a fast taper I ‘might’ be worse off than dealing with ‘random’ adverse effects/severe side effects? And if we look back at my history I possibly have similar sensitivity issues with gabapentin. So sometimes it’s diffuclt for me to know what’s causing the issue or what med is.

I may have to take a small amount of Ativan when these symptoms get bad enough. Not regularly, but just to weather the storm because it’s extremely uncomfortable 

Im not sure what to do. Possibly take my buspar and viibryd earlier like we discussed? Maybe a different time in the ev too? Then maybe work on tapering buspar?

thanks shep for your time on my behalf

DC

I am currently taking:

• Administrator
On 3/10/2018 at 1:36 PM, ChessieCat said:

I suggest you keep a daily diary of when you take your drugs and when the symptoms appear.

I don't know how up to date your signature is so I'm not sure of your current doses of buspar.

Below is one very good reason for lowering your drug dose/s.  I have experienced mild serotonin toxicity and as my dose got lower the toxicity lessened.

The symptoms you are experiencing may be from serotonin toxicity and not withdrawal symptoms.

Interactions between your drugs

Major

buspirone  vilazodone

Applies to: BuSpar (buspirone), Viibryd (vilazodone)

Using busPIRone together with vilazodone can increase the risk of a rare but serious condition called the serotonin syndrome, which may include symptoms such as confusion, hallucination, seizure, extreme changes in blood pressure, increased heart rate, feverexcessive sweating, shivering or shaking, blurred vision, muscle spasm or stiffness, tremor, incoordination, stomach cramp, nauseavomiting, and diarrhea. Severe cases may result in coma and even death. You should seek immediate medical attention if you experience these symptoms while taking the medications. Talk to your doctor if you have any questions or concerns. Your doctor may already be aware of the risks, but has determined that this is the best course of treatment for you and has taken appropriate precautions and is monitoring you closely for any potential complications. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

What times of day do you take your drugs, and their dosages? Do your symptoms follow any daily pattern?  Please keep daily notes on paper with times of day for when you take your drugs, their dosages, and your symptoms. You can post them in this topic with a simple list format with time of day on the left and notation (symptom, drug and dosage) on the right. Post your notes here in your Intro topic.

It's possible to develop anallergy to a drug.

• Moderator Emeritus

Example:

6 a.m. Woke with anxiety
8 a.m. Took 2.5mg Lexapro
10 a.m. Stomach is upset
10:30 a.m. Ate breakfast
11:35 a.m. Got a headache, lasted one hour
12:35 p.m. Ate lunch
4 p.m. Feel a bit better
5 p.m. Took 2.5mg Lexapro
6 p.m. Ate dinner
9:20 p.m. Headache
10:00 p.m. Took 50mg Seroquel
10:20 p.m. Feeling dizzy
10:30 p.m. Fell asleep
2:30 a.m. Woke, took 3mg Ambien (NOT "took 1/2 tablet Ambien")
2:45 a.m. Fell asleep
4:30 a.m. Woke but got back to sleep