Alto, I just did my daily schedule of symptoms last month for you and

Shep.

It’s seems that right now I’m having more symptoms directly after I take buspar than usual. Itching. Breathing difficulties. Racy feelings. Etc. 

Starting taking Anafranil when I was in 8th grade for OCD. I only took it for about one year. I had no withdrawel coming off as a freshman in high school. 

Then started various SSRI's my first two years of college. I felt side effects from all different meds but they were still prescribed by docs.

2010-Finally landed on lexapro for about one year and I noticed cognitive issues while on it.

Taper quickly off and felt very depressed for around four months. Was put on 50 mg Pristiq and symptoms got better but still had depression to a certain degree. Started getting severe issues from Pristiq so I tapered off over a four month period and have been dealing with withdrawal and healing from withdrawal since.

I was on Pristiq for about 2.5 years and then tapered off in the fall of 13'.

I am currently taking:

-255mg of gabapentin (holding for now)

-10 mg viibryd (holding for now)

-5 mg buspar (2.5 in the morn and 2.5 at night) (I weighed out half a tablet and it weighed about .053 on my scale so I started measuring it out to .050 with a nail file morning and night. That was my first cut. Beginning of December was when it was made). 

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DC112

• Altostrata

• ChessieCat

• scallywag

Top Posters In This Topic

On 1/24/2019 at 11:08 PM, DC112 said:

Day 1

9:30 am woke up drowsy but not bad

10 am coffee/eggs. Feel better and more alert

11 am took 2.5 buspar, 255 mg gabapentin, 10 mg viibryd

3 pm, start feeling cognition issues, drowsy, trouble thinking clearly, drop in mood. 

7 pm, still feel condition issues etc. drop in mood.

9pm fog starts to wear off and I start feeling more normal

11pm take my evening dose of 2.5 mg of buspar

11:30 pm feel asleep.

4 am woke up with my racing feeling jacked up 

5 am feel back asleep. 

Day 2

9am alarm. Took me awhile to get out of bed from morning drowsiness.

10:30 am. Coffe/eggs. 

11:30 am take 2.5 mg of buspar, 255 mg of gabapentin, 10 mg of viibryd

3 pm. Start feeling fatigued, trouble thinking clearly, downed mood

5pm. Start feeling all these symptoms intensly. Hard to function

6pm eat dinner

9pm symptoms wear off

11 pm take evening dose of buspar 2.5

12am. Went to bed. Woke a couple times in the night but feel right back to sleep.

Day 3

9:30am woke up tired

10:30am coffee eggs. Feel pretty good

11 am. Start to feel jittery and some anxiety/panic

11:30 am take all my meds 2.5 mg buspar, 255 mg gabapentin, 10 mg viibryd. 

3 pm. Start feeling my mental cognition issues with a downed mood.

5pm. So tired that I take a nap for an hour. 

6pm make food for an hour

7pm make dinner

9pm more clear headed

10 pm feeling panicked and jittery

12 pm. Take 2.5 buspar evening dose. 

Starting taking Anafranil when I was in 8th grade for OCD. I only took it for about one year. I had no withdrawel coming off as a freshman in high school. 

Then started various SSRI's my first two years of college. I felt side effects from all different meds but they were still prescribed by docs.

2010-Finally landed on lexapro for about one year and I noticed cognitive issues while on it.

Taper quickly off and felt very depressed for around four months. Was put on 50 mg Pristiq and symptoms got better but still had depression to a certain degree. Started getting severe issues from Pristiq so I tapered off over a four month period and have been dealing with withdrawal and healing from withdrawal since.

I am currently taking:

-5 mg buspar (2.5 in the morn and 2.5 at night) (I weighed out half a tablet and it weighed about .053 on my scale so I started measuring it out to .050 with a nail file morning and night. That was my first cut. Beginning of December was when it was made). 

• Moderator Emeritus

DC, I'm confused. The post above is a quote from January 25.

After you posted that back in January, the staff gave you advice. You weren't interested in taking it, but we did provide feedback. 

11 hours ago, DC112 said:

It’s seems that right now I’m having more symptoms directly after I take buspar than usual. Itching. Breathing difficulties. Racy feelings. Etc. 

I'm going to re-post my last post to you that you never responded to. 

On 3/15/2019 at 8:23 AM, Shep said:
On 2/2/2019 at 3:56 PM, Altostrata said:

Even moving half your gabapentin dose to nighttime might reduce the daytime stupor. If you move half of the gabapentin to nighttime, you probably wouldn't need Buspar to sleep.

Please note Alto's comment about not needing Buspar to sleep if you were able to move the gabapentin. Just wanting to emphasize this in case you due find yourself needing to eliminate the Buspar. 

I'm not sure what you want from us, DC. We give you advice but you don't take it. 

On 3/15/2019 at 2:26 PM, DC112 said:

I may have to take a small amount of Ativan when these symptoms get bad enough. Not regularly, but just to weather the storm because it’s extremely uncomfortable 

How often are you taking Ativan? Ativan can have rebound symptoms, so it's not just a matter of not developing a dependency, but also in the upticks in symptoms that it can cause.

That's why we're asking for a drug and symptoms journal. A current one, not from January, especially since you are experiencing new symptoms and have added in a benzo. 

• 4 months later...

Hello

I was wondering if anybody has taken liquid doses and traveled or flied somewhere for many days? Can u fly with liquid? If so, how?

Thanks,

Dan

I am currently taking:

Hi DC--  we just had a member return from a trip while using a liquid. Jen84 would be a good one to talk to.

Traveling while tapering can be a real challenge. But it ends up being more a problem of scheduling than carrying the drugs.  Airlines allow you to carry on up to three ounces of most liquids.  Anything more and they make you throw it away.  If the container is smaller than 3oz. they hardly even look at it. Keep the liquid and the syringes in a small bag with a tooth brush, tooth paste and miniature deodorant in your carry on bag and there should not be any problem.  If 3oz isn't going to be enough for the trip carry the "fixing" in you checked luggage and make up more as you need it.  Assuming that is that you are making your own.  Otherwise, just carry the bulk in your checked luggage and the 3oz in your carry on.  Always have some in your carry on, because checked bags do get miss placed and you don't want to be caught short.

Th actual travel days are the hardest because things are so chaotic.  Trying to maintain a dosing schedule takes some real doing.  Your cell phone is your friend, set alarms and reminders.  Your dosing isn't dependent on the time of day, but rather the length of time between doses. For example if I take my dose in the evening here in Los Angeles I would need to be taking it during the morning in London. That's if I have my time zones in the correct order, I'm in a hotel room in the wilds of New Mexico ATM so I don't know what time it is. Different time zones, but they don't do daylight savings time it can get quit confusing.  You may have to reset the alarms when you get there,because your phone will reset the time when you land.

Do a bit of preplanning and things should go smoothly.  Stick to your taper schedule what ever time of day it is. Don't worry about transporting things. The main thing is to kick back and enjoy the trip.

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

Thanks brassmonkey! That was very informative. 

I am currently taking:

• 3 weeks later...

hello

it seems that the manufacturer Milan is no longer producing buspar, which is a problem for me bc I take buspar. I am in Denver and have called 5 different pharmacies and only one pharmacy has a little left. I’ve taken a different manufacturer for buspar before and had issues. If I have to change manufactures how long could it possibly take for me to adjust? I’m concerned about this. 

DC

I am currently taking:

• Moderator Emeritus
2 minutes ago, DC112 said:

If I have to change manufactures how long could it possibly take for me to adjust? I’m concerned about this. 

Try to make sure you have enough Milan brand to do a crossover, which will go a long way toward minimizing issues from the switch.

3/4 old brand, 1/4 new brand for 3-7 days

1/2 old, 1/2 new for 3-7 days

1/4 old, 3/4 new for 3-7 days

all new thereafter

Since you've had issues before switching brands, I suggest you go for the longer 7 day per stage crossover if you have enough old brand available.  

Everyone is different with respect to how long it takes to adjust.  As I said, the crossover helps a lot.  Some members have no or minor issues.  I didn't have enough old brand Lorazepam, so my crossover was shorter than I would've liked but everything straightened out within around a week.

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of April 1: 6.8mg

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

Thanks Gridley! I think I actually found some of the right brand for now. But might have to do this in the future. 

DC

I am currently taking:

Hello

I’m wondering if there is a better way to dose out my meds. Right now I weigh buspar and gabapentin daily on a Gemini scale. Usually I try to dose out a week worth but it takes a long time. Is there a more efficient way? Would liquid be quicker? 

Thanks. 

DC

I am currently taking:

• Moderator Emeritus

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Moderator Emeritus

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• 4 months later...

Thank you Chessie for the past support

Wanted to update that I have split my meds in the morning. Alto and others recommended that I split up my morning dosing of gabapentin and viibryd. I’ve started taking my buspar and viibryd at 10:30am and my gabapentin at 11:30am. Having some weird symptoms.. headaches, more chest tightness, some moments of intense destabilization. But nothing ‘too’ severe at this point. This is my fifth day. I’m unsure how long these symptoms will persist or if they will go away in time, or improve? Is it somewhat normal to have symptoms when changing time of dosing?

Thanks

DC

I am currently taking:

• 1 year later...

Hello,

Does anyone know of others having issues with ivermectin and withdrawal, or interacting with other meds badly? 

thank,

DC

I am currently taking:

• Moderator Emeritus
3 hours ago, DC112 said:

Does anyone know of others having issues with ivermectin and withdrawal, or interacting with other meds badly? 

Here is a search of this drug so you can read how others have reacted to it:

Search - invermectin

• 2 years later...

Hello!

My best to everybody. I have a question in regards to tapering a liquid medication, in my case Buspar. I do lots of backpacking and backcountry trips on my own and with friends. Does anyone have experience having a liquid dose on you when your backpacking? How do would you transport the medication in your backpack for several days if its liquid? Thoughts?

Thanks

DC

I am currently taking:

The first question is are you using a commercial liquid or a homemade?

The commercial version will be more stable and less susceptible to spoilage than the homemade version.

Heat and light are the two major problems. These drugs need to be stored in a cool, dry, dark place. Storage temperatures over 85F start to be a problem and higher temperatures can degrade the drugs in a matter of hours. Long exposure to direct sunlight has the same effect.

Wrapped in a hand towel, placed in the middle of you backpack should work well.

The main difference is that homemade liquids tend to spoil after a few days. If you follow carful sanitary conditions while making and using the liquid it should be viable for four or five days if you follow the above suggestions. After that it will rapidly loss potency, could start to mold and the like.

It wouldn't be the best, but you could prepare several "dry doses" to carry as a backup. The sudden switch from liquid to dry is not recommended, but it is better than going without.

I loved hiking in the Rockies when I lived there. Did half a dozen of the 14ers and the like. Enjoy your time in nature, it will do more for you than the drugs.

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

brassmonkey

that's awesome to hear that you gotta hike a-lot of the 14ers out here. The outdoors of CO are amazing! 

I feel I would do the homemade version. I was thinking I could use some type of thermis to keep it from overheating. The dry doses are a good option if I had too. I also hunt in the fall, I'm not sure how to prevent it from freezing, cause I'll be in freezing temps, now that I think about it?

I am currently taking:

A Thermos would work both directions. Having the liquid freeze would not be good for it either.  My concern would be the weight, with backpacking every ounce counts. I always dry cut. It made it quite easy to carry my doses wherever I traveled. But that was before homemade liquids became popular.

Agreed. I think the thermos might work. at least a solid one. I dry cut now on a Gemini. the scale moves a couple .001 grams, so right now I measure out to around .050 grams for my 2.5 milligram dose of buspar. If its off by a couple I just go with it as long as its consistent. I would like to just stay with try cutting but I don't think I can make 5 percent cuts when it's off a little. Even dropping to .047 (2.35 milligrams of buspar) would be challenging. after that it would get too small to do on the Gemini I think. What scale do you use to dry cut? Do you know of any that are more accurate than the Gemini? 

I am currently taking:

• 3 weeks later...

Hello

Unfortunately my pharmacy told me today that they can't refill with the same manufacture. I'm calling a bunch of different places but I'm not sure that anyone can fill the Mylan manufacturer for Buspar anymore? Anyone have advice on this. I only have a couple days left of the Mylan. 

Thanks

DC

I am currently taking:

Hello

I was able to find enough of the Mylan brand to switch manufacturers. Can someone remind me how its done properly. 3/4ths old and 1/4 new for a week, 1/2 and 1/2 for a week, 3/4 new and 1/4 old.? that would be over 3 weeks. Anything I'm missing? Also, is there a brand that is more similar to Mylan, or does that not really matter? Just needing to have a more reasonable transition. 

Thanks

DC

I am currently taking:

Hey 

Sorry to keep messaging when I'm not getting a response yet. I'm in a bit of a stressful period b/c I have to switch manufacturers. Does anyone know the difference between TEVA and Unichem manufacturers? I've read TEVA might be hard to get for different meds? Anyone had this problem? I'm trying to make sure that 1, my pharmacy can get the manufacturer over a long period of time 2, seeing which manufacturer is better, possibly more reputable?

I am currently taking: