Stone: Tapering problem - please help - a bit urgent

stone

I forgot to say, tapering will begin February 1st all being well. :)

Intro and updates thread http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/9951-stone-tapering-problem-please-help-a-bit-urgent/

Prescribed 20mg of Citalopram 17 years ago.

Began tapering 3 or 4 years ago and was on 2.5mg every other day for 3 months until 21/8/2015 I then stopped completely for 10 days.

On 1/9/2015 I re-instated 1.25mg a day due to horrendous rebound depression/side effects (also found this site, thank God).

Seemed to stabilise then had a bout of very severe depression starting around the beginning of October/15,

then on the 19/10/15 I panicked and started on 20mg Fluoxetine, realised this was a bad idea and then had to decide between a lower dose of Fluoxetine

or reinstating Citalopram at maybe 1.5mg finally decided on 5mg of Fluoxetine for "bridging" purposes.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• stone

• KarenB

• bubble

• Altostrata

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderator Emeritus

Cool - you can join the 'Holding till after Xmas' Club :)!  Unfortunately we have run out of free hams, but you will still be welcome...

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

Micro-tapering: four weekly 0.4% cuts, hold 4 weeks (struggling with symptoms).

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.
Supplements: Fish oil, vitamin C, iron, oat-straw tea, nettle tea.

2023 December - Now on 5 micro-beads Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops. Symptoms begin to increase.

2024 April - Updosed to 6 microbeads - immediate increase in symptoms for 4 days. Decreased to 5 microbeads.

'The possibility of renewal exists so long as life exists.'  Dr Gabor Mate.

Lol, thanks Karen. :)

Intro and updates thread http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/9951-stone-tapering-problem-please-help-a-bit-urgent/

Began tapering 3 or 4 years ago and was on 2.5mg every other day for 3 months until 21/8/2015 I then stopped completely for 10 days.

On 1/9/2015 I re-instated 1.25mg a day due to horrendous rebound depression/side effects (also found this site, thank God).

Seemed to stabilise then had a bout of very severe depression starting around the beginning of October/15,

then on the 19/10/15 I panicked and started on 20mg Fluoxetine, realised this was a bad idea and then had to decide between a lower dose of Fluoxetine

or reinstating Citalopram at maybe 1.5mg finally decided on 5mg of Fluoxetine for "bridging" purposes.

• 3 weeks later...

I am going to order some supplements and wanted to ask for some input, KarenB in your sig are the three supplements I am getting. I am already happy with the fish oil I get http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00I8GX8HK?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_sfl_title_4&smid=A1ZKRZX8RJZWEDand think this Vitamin E fits the bill http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00028NJ7Q?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_sfl_title_1&smid=AUJI7YZ3HFDAS

but am unsure on which type of magnesium to get, I have read the relevant threads on this site but would just like someones recommendation if that's possible. Maybe this? http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00028NJ7Q?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_sfl_title_1&smid=AUJI7YZ3HFDAS

I have had these in the past http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0013RGUK8?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00028NJ7Q?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_sfl_title_1&smid=AUJI7YZ3HFDAS

Vitamin E link because it doesn't work in the above post atm.

A quick update, I am doing a bit better. I feel like I am now "used to" the Fluoxetine though it is still affecting my sleep, it's very hard to wake up. I no longer have the feeling of going off my head and feel more like me again, so that's huge. I am still quite depressed but am doing better with my Mindfulness practice and trying to practice self-compassion.

• Moderator Emeritus

I get Solgar Magnesium Citrate tablets, which dissolve in water. 

and Eagle Vitamin E.

and Orthoplex Fish Oil.

I chose them because they are mid-price things, which I usually go for - figuring cheap is cheap for a reason and right now I want something good.  Remember to start each separately and at a low dose and slowly move up. 

It sounds like there is progression in terms of your symptoms.  Just keep going slow and steady.

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.

2023 December - Now on 5 micro-beads Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops. Symptoms begin to increase.

2024 April - Updosed to 6 microbeads - immediate increase in symptoms for 4 days. Decreased to 5 microbeads.

Thanks Karen, I got my links mixed up but I meant to post Solgar Magnesium Citrate. :) Instead Then posted the viatamin E tablets 3 times, lol.

• Moderator Emeritus

A sure sign of being in w/d :D

8 month hold.

A sure sign of being in w/d :D

Lol. :)

Actually, like you said, I am progressing a bit. Feeling a bit more normal, finally. I am keeping it going by practicing Mindfulness, also keeping a journal for the first time.

Stone. Thanks for posting how you are going. That magnesium does look good. Let us know how you go with it.

It's great that you are feeling more like you and that you can recognise your wd symptoms. Mindfulness really helps us and doing most things mindfully helps with concentration and any brain fog you may have. Keeping a journal is great too. Well done.

8 years on venlafaxine (generic name Altven). Various doses then 3 years on 75mg. Tapered off too quickly with very bad withdrawals. Put back on at higher dose of 150mg to stabilise. Been at 150mg for a year. Stable and ready to taper slowly.

Dosage 150mg. Average beads in each capsule 543

January 2016. Start tapering. Also taking fish oil, vit e daily and magnesium as required.

08/01 started with 5% taper, held for 2 weeks the. Another 5% and held for a month.

3rd March another 10% cut, now taking out 102 beads. Hold for a month then assess.

Thanks Seeker. :)

The thing I like about this is that it is a liquid so that gives greater control over doses than tablets, also I think it can be applied directly to the skin for absorption as well as ingested orally.

But it would be much cheaper and basically the same to dilute Magnesium chloride flakes yourself? http://www.amazon.co.uk/Better-You-Magnesium-Original-Flakes/dp/B00477782K/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1452165136&sr=8-2&keywords=magnesium+chloride

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Stone ,

I bought a 2 kilo bag of the flakes from ebay. Good for baths and mag.oil spray.

You can ingest it too , but it's less bioavailable than topical use , according to the literature.

Fresh

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

Thanks Fresh, for the "oil" do you just mix a little distilled water with the flakes so it is just about dissolved and not too watery?

• Moderator Emeritus

This is the recipe from Dr Axe - excellent aricle here http://draxe.com/magnesium-oil/

To make your own magnesium oil at home, follow this recipe:

Ingredients:

½ cup magnesium chloride flakes

½ cup filtered water

Directions:

Bring water to a boil. Turn off heat and stir in the flakes until dissolved. When cool, transfer to a glass spray bottle.

"Spray: Spraying magnesium oil directly on the skin is the most common application of the mineral. It’s best to apply after a shower, when the skin is clear of lotions or other oils. After spraying, magnesium oil should be thoroughly rubbed in and left to absorb for about 30 minutes. Depending on your preference, you can shower or wipe down to eliminate any residue.

The first few times applying magnesium spray may result in some uncomfortable tingling. This sensation should dissipate the longer you use it."

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

Thank you very much, Fresh. :)

One last question please, how much do you spray on? Do you just do your arms or something?

BTW, the Dr Axe link isn't working. Says "not found".

• Moderator Emeritus

The link is fixed now Stone.

I spray it liberally and rub/massage it into arms , shoulders , neck ,hips , legs and knees. Anywhere

you can reach. The more surface area you cover , the more that gets absorbed.

I also use it for particular niggles , like one side of the neck , as needed.

After doing my research on magnesium , I've also ordered Milk of Magnesia for taking internally (to be mixed with bicarbonated water). I read somewhere that it's 500 times more bioavailable taking it this way than in tablet form.

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

March 2016 , 21mg

Thanks again Fresh. :)