Honingbij: tapering off Amitriptyline again

honingbij

• Moderator Emeritus
6 hours ago, honingbij said:

Nothing on the list except that I did add one supplement to my long established regime about 3 weeks ago. I had noticed no problems with it.

What supplement?

Are you still taking it?

my husband was happily able to work from home.

This could also be an added stress.  Just a change in routine can do this.

With the Covid situation it might be/can be low level stress over a long period of time, and with an increase at different times, like having to think about mandates or when the delta strain happened.  That is what I experienced in a difficult marriage with a sick husband.  It eventually caught up with me.

I'm so close to the end, but so, so far! I worry because I'm not young. I'm 67 and I feel like I'm going to be doing this for the rest of my life and I'm just getting tired.

I'm 64 and it took me 6 years to get off Pristiq.  We do get fed up with it and just want it to be over.  I think part of us wants to see what happens and how we feel when we are completely off the drug.  We can also become battle weary.  As a worst case scenario, even if you do happen to be on the drug for the rest of your life it is much better to be on a low dose of it.  When I arrived at SA my goal was to get my dose down from 100mg to 50mg.  I had no intention of getting off it.  But after learning a lot about the drugs I decided to keep going as low as I could and I just kept going.

My greatest fear surrounding this very, very slow process is that something will happen, like me having to go into the hospital or something, where I'm not able control or even do my taper.

This is understandable.  But it is something that you have no control over (unless it is elective surgery) and it might never happen.

Yes, I was planning on staying on the updose for at least 4 weeks. 

I think it would be a good idea to put tapering on the back burner at this time and to not think about tapering again until after the Christmas / New Year holiday period.  So perhaps set the date at mid-January that you assess your situation.  This can be helpful in that you take the pressure of yourself during that time thinking about should I or shouldn't I reduce.  Think of it as a holiday from tapering.

There is no need to tag me.  So please do not tag me for any reason.  I am an unrostered, unpaid peer and assist members when I can.  Thank you.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

8 hours ago, ChessieCat said:

What supplement?

Are you still taking it?

Black cumin seed oil 1/2 tsp once a day. I haven't taken it or any other of my supplements for the past 5 days.

This could also be an added stress.  Just a change in routine can do this.

With the Covid situation it might be/can be low level stress over a long period of time, and with an increase at different times, like having to think about mandates or when the delta strain happened.  That is what I experienced in a difficult marriage with a sick husband.  It eventually caught up with me.

This is true.

I'm 64 and it took me 6 years to get off Pristiq.  We do get fed up with it and just want it to be over.  I think part of us wants to see what happens and how we feel when we are completely off the drug.  We can also become battle weary.  As a worst case scenario, even if you do happen to be on the drug for the rest of your life it is much better to be on a low dose of it.  When I arrived at SA my goal was to get my dose down from 100mg to 50mg.  I had no intention of getting off it.  But after learning a lot about the drugs I decided to keep going as low as I could and I just kept going.

This is understandable.  But it is something that you have no control over (unless it is elective surgery) and it might never happen.

You're right about this and I need to remind myself of this more often.

I think it would be a good idea to put tapering on the back burner at this time and to not think about tapering again until after the Christmas / New Year holiday period.  So perhaps set the date at mid-January that you assess your situation.  This can be helpful in that you take the pressure of yourself during that time thinking about should I or shouldn't I reduce.  Think of it as a holiday from tapering.

That's a great suggestion and I will do it.

There is no need to tag me.  So please do not tag me for any reason.  I am an unrostered, unpaid peer and assist members when I can.  Thank you.

Oh dear, I am so sorry for disturbing you! I had no idea I was doing something inappropriate. I am not on any social media, and to tell you the truth, I don't even know or understand what the significance of tagging someone is. 

Thanks again for you help.

Drug History:
2014: 75 mg Amitriptyline [began taper]
2019: 22 mg

2020: 10.7 mg
2021: June: 4.29 mg

2021: Nov 21 [4.17 mg]; updosed to 4.18 mg [Dec 3]
2022: Tapered May 15 to 4.16 mg 

• 2 weeks later...

@honingbij Did you notice burping and belching when you quit amitriptyline ??

2017 october--2018 march->(6 month) fluoxetine 20,30 mg-->cold turkey= after 2 month semen leakage

2018 july---2018 Aug-->(24 days) fluoxetine 20 mg --> cold turkey = vivid dreams begin

2018 december 2019 Jan-->(1 month) Amitriptyline 25--> cold turkey
--------++++--horror of drugs begins. Taking one after another and cold turkey-------+++------------------
2019 May--2019 May--> (12 days) Lexapro cold turkey

2019 May--2019 august -->(3 month)Cobazam 10 mg +amitriptyline 25 mg --> clobazam cold turkey

----2019 october ---> went cold turkey amitriptyline 25 mg.

2019 october--2020 Jan -->(3 months) duloxetine cymbalta 30mg --->cold turkey

2020 jan-2020 Apr--> (3 months) paroxetine 25 mg --> Cold turkey

2020 July--2021 Jan--> (6 months) amitriptyline 50 mg ,75 mg,100 mg ,125 mg -> cold turkey

2021 jan--2021 May--> (4 months) imipramine 75 mg -->cold turkey

2021 may-2021 Aug--> (3 months) nortriptyline 25 mg --> cold turkey== still semen leakage and vivid dream

6 minutes ago, PsychologicalSafe15 said:

@honingbij Did you notice burping and belching when you quit amitriptyline ??

I'm not done with it yet, unfortunately!
I haven't had any gastric problems like the ones you describe while I've been doing my taper. I've been going at a glacial pace, though.

Drug History:

After you eat food , you dont notice burping ? Might be you had earlier it subsided ??

2017 october--2018 march->(6 month) fluoxetine 20,30 mg-->cold turkey= after 2 month semen leakage

2018 july---2018 Aug-->(24 days) fluoxetine 20 mg --> cold turkey = vivid dreams begin

--------++++--horror of drugs begins. Taking one after another and cold turkey-------+++------------------

2019 May--2019 august -->(3 month)Cobazam 10 mg +amitriptyline 25 mg --> clobazam cold turkey

2020 July--2021 Jan--> (6 months) amitriptyline 50 mg ,75 mg,100 mg ,125 mg -> cold turkey

2021 may-2021 Aug--> (3 months) nortriptyline 25 mg --> cold turkey== still semen leakage and vivid dream

56 minutes ago, PsychologicalSafe15 said:

After you eat food , you dont notice burping ? Might be you had earlier it subsided ??

No. I eat a >95% carnivore diet.
It sounds like maybe your burping has something to do with what you're eating.
Or maybe you're eating too fast or not chewing enough, or swallowing air when you're eating?
Do you chew gum? Do you eat when you're not in a calm state of mind?
My two cents worth of advice would be to first examine what you're eating and how you're eating it.
You could also do an elimination diet, keep a food diary, and gradually introduce foods and see how you are tolerating them.

Edited by honingbij
misspelling

Drug History:

51 minutes ago, PsychologicalSafe15 said:

You might also benefit from taking digestive enzymes or looking into herbs and tinctures that would help - dandelion, ginger, star anise, etc.

Drug History:

1. 22 hours ago, honingbij said:

You might also benefit from taking digestive enzymes or looking into herbs and tinctures that would help - dandelion, ginger, star anise, etc.

Thank you for response. I believe it is related to muscle and upper gi tract. Some sorts of tightness in muscle after quitting amitriptyline.

• 3 months later...

Question: Is my amitriptyline pooping out? If so, how do I manage this process?

After updosing to 4.18mg on December 3, 2021 because of a couple of anxiety attacks, I held my dose for almost 4 months [118 days]. I did reasonably well during that time, with some ups and downs with migraines and some nights of insomnia, but nothing that was out of the ordinary or caused me any concern.

Starting on March 15 [day 102 post taper], I noticed that I started waking up earlier on a regular basis and getting less sleep. I was still able to manage OK, so I adjusted the time I took my meds and my bedtime to later, but it didn’t make any difference, and was still waking up at 0300 or 0400.

On April 1, I tapered to 4.17 mg.

Since then, I can get only 3 hours of sleep every night, and my brain is getting more and more irritated. I take my meds at 2300/2330 and go to bed at midnight and it’s like an internal alarm clock wakes me at 0300/0330. For the past couple of nights, I am having big hot flashes with tachycardia on waking, and often a migraine.

I’m exhausted, but can only manage to nap 1 hour during the day.

My brain is very irritated and all kind of stimulation just heightens it. I’m feeling these days that I’m often on the edge of an anxiety attack, although, mercifully, I’ve been able to avoid that.

My long tapering jouney has, over the years, been relatively easy, but I seem to have run out of road. I feel stuck, and am disappointed that my long hold didn’t make my last cut any easier.

I’m feeling quite wrung out. There’s still is a long way to go before I’m off of this drug, and I’m starting to feel a bit concerned and apprehensive; Years ago, I had a bad experience coming off of Topamax and Valium that I haven’t forgotten.

Is my amitriptyline pooping out?

What is the best way to manage from here?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Drug History:

• 2 weeks later...

Hey! Thanks for sharing your story. Your perseverance is inspiring. I've been taking 20 mg amitriptyline for two years, and would like to taper off. How have you been able to go down with only 0,1 mg each time? Do you use a liquid or a pill splitter? 

Amitriptyline: Prescribed 20mg from 2020 - 2022. Started tapering off from May 2022. 

May 29 2022 - on 15 mg

June 17 2022 - on 10 mg

September 25 2022 - on 5 mg

October 28 2022 - on 0 mg, done with taper

Supplements: Magnesium, Omega 3

• Moderator Emeritus

@Sofie Please create an Introduction topic for yourself so that we can provide you with information and support.

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

8 hours ago, Sofie said:

Hey! Thanks for sharing your story. Your perseverance is inspiring. I've been taking 20 mg amitriptyline for two years, and would like to taper off. How have you been able to go down with only 0,1 mg each time? Do you use a liquid or a pill splitter? 

Hi Sofie: Congrats on your desire to taper off; you can definitey do it!

As for how I handle my miniscule taper: I tell my doctor what I need and she writes a prescription for the pharmacy to compound. I presently use 1 and 2 mg capsules for the larger part [the 4 mg] of the dose and make a water dilution from a 10 mg tablet to draw up the rest of the dose. 

Drug History:

• 1 month later...

Need some help. Think my amitripyline is pooping out.

I tapered my dose on May 16 from 4.17 to 4.16 mg. I had a few migraines during the first two weeks post taper, but nothing serious. For the past 13 days, I have had no problems or symptoms.

Yesterday [day 27], I had some insomnia and started not to feel well in the evening.

Last night, I took my dose at 2300 and went to bed at midnight. I woke after 90 minutes, feeling ill.

Heart skipping beats, elevated heart rate [116] nauseated with stomach hurting, dry mouth, runny nose, constant need to yawn, having 4 crampy bowel movements in the space of an hour and a half. I haven’t been able to sleep for the rest of the night. I don’t feel anxious, just very sick. This doesn’t feel like a bug or a virus. This feels different.

I am wondering if my amitripyline may be pooping out. In April, I had almost 3 weeks straight of bad insomnia and migraines, which was unusual for me. And now, this, which is worse.

Is my amitripyline starting to poop out, and if so, how do I proceed? I feel like I’m stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Thanks for any advice.

Edited by ChessieCat
added Intro topic title before merging with intro topic

Drug History:

• Moderator Emeritus

Q:  Is there anything else that has been different?  Alcohol, antibiotics, a death, financial / relationship / job stress?  Covid or Covid vaccination or booster?  Something you ate?

Q:  What sort of pattern have you noticed with the worsening, has it been sudden and gradual?

Q:  Have you missed a dose or took a double dose?

Q:  Have you tried something new or stopped something that you have been taking?

6 minutes ago, ChessieCat said:

Q:  Is there anything else that has been different?  Alcohol, antibiotics, a death, financial / relationship / job stress?  Covid or Covid vaccination or booster?  Something you ate?

Nothing, No alcohol, no meds, very stable personal life. No vax. Eating my usual food prepared at home.

Q:  What sort of pattern have you noticed with the worsening, has it been sudden and gradual?

Sudden.

Q:  Have you missed a dose or took a double dose?

Neither.

Q:  Have you tried something new or stopped something that you have been taking?

Drug History:

Missed a question: Have not started or stopped any new vitamins or supplements.

Drug History:

• Moderator Emeritus

Thank you for answering my questions.

Poop out has a different pattern.  It generally happens gradually, not gradually not suddenly (realised later that I had made an error when I wrote this.

You made a reduction in June but you don't have the date.  Actually it looks like the information in your signature is wrong.  Please correct it and always include the date that you made the reduction.

1 hour ago, honingbij said:

Last night, I took my dose at 2300 and went to bed at midnight.

Is this the normal time you take your dose?

Eating my usual food prepared at home.

Q:  Do you eat anything which contains MSG?  I have an MSG intolerance and 6 hours after consuming it I get very bad diarrhea, pounding heart, sweating and at its worst I would get a swollen throat (anaphylaxis).  It took me several years before I worked out what was causing it.  Now I try not to consume anything with flavour enhancers because they are neurotoxins.

Another neurotoxin is phenylalanine / aspartame artificial sweetener, quite often in diet drinks.

Heart skipping beats, elevated heart rate [116] nauseated with stomach hurting, dry mouth, runny nose, constant need to yawn, having 4 crampy bowel movements in the space of an hour and a half. I haven’t been able to sleep for the rest of the night. I don’t feel anxious, just very sick. This doesn’t feel like a bug or a virus. This feels different.

If you made a reduction back in May then it is unlikely to be due to the that.

To me it either sounds like something you ate, perhaps something that was going off/ a mild case of food poisoning, or you have a virus.

Please note that SA staff are not medical professionals, we are unpaid peers.  What I am writing are only possibilities and suggestions.

My suggestion would be to rest as much as you can and drink plenty of water.  It might be a good idea to get a Covid test.  If it gets worse I think it would be best to consult a doctor.

Edited by ChessieCat
made correction about poop out

33 minutes ago, ChessieCat said:

Poop out has a different pattern.  It generally happens gradually, not gradually.

You made a reduction in June but you don't have the date.  Actually it looks like the information in your signature is wrong.  Please correct it and always include the date that you made the reduction.

Is this the normal time you take your dose?

Yes, I take it the same time every night.

Q:  Do you eat anything which contains MSG?  I have an MSG intolerance and 6 hours after consuming it I get very bad diarrhea, pounding heart, sweating and at its worst I would get a swollen throat (anaphylaxis).  It took me several years before I worked out what was causing it.  Now I try not to consume anything with flavour enhancers because they are neurotoxins.

Another neurotoxin is phenylalanine / aspartame artificial sweetener, quite often in diet drinks.

Absolutely no MSG; it's a potent migraine trigger. Ditto artificial sweeteners. I never drink soft drinks.

If you made a reduction back in May then it is unlikely to be due to the that.

To me it either sounds like something you ate, perhaps something that was going off/ a mild case of food poisoning, or you have a virus.

Please note that SA staff are not medical professionals, we are unpaid peers.  What I am writing are only possibilities and suggestions.

Thanks. 

My suggestion would be to rest as much as you can and drink plenty of water.  It might be a good idea to get a Covid test.  If it gets worse I think it would be best to consult a doctor.

Thanks for the suggestion, Chessie Cat, I appreciate your help.

Drug History:

38 minutes ago, ChessieCat said:

Poop out has a different pattern.  It generally happens gradually, not gradually.

OK. I'll keep that in mind. Thanks!

Drug History:

• Moderator Emeritus

That should have been poop out happens gradually, it doesn't happen suddenly.