squirrel

Beta Blockers: Propranolol, Metopropol, Atenolol etc

squirrel

anyone had any success with these for Palpitations & anxiety.I have just gotta get some relief

Edited by ChessieCat
Added tags

Ucfgemini

IF and only IF you are not taking anything else... I have had success with 50 mg of 5htp at night and breathing. Most people will say 100-300 mg, but the 50mg seems to do the trick for me. have you tried any sort of breathing techniques?

Altostrata

squirrel, anything might set off a hypersensitive reaction.

If you want to try something, try a tiny chip first.

Rather than beta blockers for the anxiety symptoms, my doctor prefers an alpha blocker, doxazosin. It reduces adrenaline.

I tried it (a tiny chip), it worked for a long time, maybe a year or two. (It also helped with the frequent urination at night.) But I'm so hypersensitive it eventually was too strong for me and went paradoxical, which means I had an uncomfortable day or two and stopped it.

angie007

So Alto, you were able to take a tiny chip of doxazosin and that helped with the anxiety and frequent urination and heart palps????

what happened when you came off??? any side effects?? symptoms return??????

poodlebell

Hi Squirrel

I tried a beta blocker when I wass 6 months off seroxat, given to me by a p.doc who said that this would stop all the symptoms etc. It made me worse, the bed was spinning just like it did once when I was extremely drunk. I tried it for about 5 days but had to stop.

poodlebell

Baxter

Hi,

I took beta blockers for years for anxiety and pounding heart. It helped. I was not in WD then.

Altostrata

Yes, angie, I used to take a pinhead of doxazosin in the late afternoon to help with sleep. No withdrawal. It has a half-life of 22 hours.

btdt

Is it possible to get tremor from stopping beta blockers.  

The dose is 40mg a day has been taken for years. 

Not me...but am curious what happens to people should they have to quit it and should it be tapered.

Is this a drug one can just stop taking and if it is stopped cold turkey can tremor be the result?

Thanks

btdt

Is it possible to get tremor from stopping beta blockers.  

The dose is 40mg a day has been taken for years. 

Not me...but am curious what happens to people should they have to quit it and should it be tapered.

Is this a drug one can just stop taking and if it is stopped cold turkey can tremor be the result?

Thanks

another person asked me if I could find out about this and they are desperate waiting for an answer... tremor internal shaking ...been off switched to another drug with worse side effects now off both.... 

I could not find much on withdrawal other than high blood pressure...but I am not clicking exactly great just now so it may be me...if you know something please let me know..

Thanks

UnfoldingSky

btdt, I've tapered off a BB blocker before.  I don't know if they can cause tremors, have you checked RX list?

Meimeiquest

It took me six months to taper off metoprolol

UnfoldingSky

btdt, you could also try asking on benzo forums if no one here knows about the tremor issue, there usually are people on those forums who are tapering off them too.

btdt

btdt, you could also try asking on benzo forums if no one here knows about the tremor issue, there usually are people on those forums who are tapering off them too.

I am not a member of the benzo forum.. I did look every place before I posted here. 

So far this person is waiting for blood test results to see what way to go.  I suggested it may lessen with time as I know it crosses the bbb so maybe in time the brain will adjust and the body will fix itself.  

Safest thing I can think of. 

mammaP

I tapered my atenolol when I realised it was causing some of my symptoms. I tapered for

around 5 months. I tried C/T years ago and must have had withdrawal of some kind because I went

back on but can't remember why.  After I finished tapering I would get occasional anxiety type symptoms

now and again for about a month and a tiny crumb would settle it. Haven't had any for months now. 

btdt

Thanks Mamma she has a benzo and is using that for what she terms internal shaking and what the doctor calls tremor.  It is likely the drug if she stays off and gets better we will know it was the drug.  I told her if it is it can take a long time but did not say how long as I didn't know.  I will wait and see how it goes with her and report back if there is any useful info for others. 

I could not imagine taking atenolol that made me psychotic with have a pill... glad you beat it. 

peace

Wildflower0214

They can cause depression. It is a known side effect.

btdt

They can cause depression. It is a known side effect.

Thanks the person who quit them is saying she just may be able to beat it just now she is thinking she can... 

Wildflower0214

Good to hear :)

lexhex

I began taking 25mg of Toprol XL last year to get the withdrawal anxiety and palpitations under control. It is a time released drug that covers me for a full 24 hours and absolutely takes the edge off. In addition, I take 500 mg of the amino acid Taurine - once in the morning, and once at night, which completely halted the AFib associated with the heart palpitations. I have been following this regimen faithfully for a year and have not had one episode since May of 2013. To be clear - I do not have a heart problem. Echo and EKGs have always been normal except for the first 6 months of withdrawal when they spiraled out of control and required three ER visits. The Toprol alone was effective, but the Taurine was a game changer. There is a thread on this forum about Taurine if you want to check it out.

After more than two years, I am by no means normal, but I'm not in acute distress anymore. The worst of my remaining symptoms are occasional stomach/bowel issues which I can deal wiith by controlling my diet, unrelenting insomnia (I can sleep for only about 4 hours at a time), paralyzing nightmares, and a core sadness that I never experienced prior to or while I was on the drug. No matter what I do or how good my life is - I cannot shake this persistent feeling of unhappiness and fear. It permeates my very existence.

Just so you understand - I was on Lexapro for panic attacks - I DO NOT have now, nor have I ever suffered from depression.

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask.

btdt

Hi Lex I was just looking at your history..

Short term low dose Klonopin use back in 2004

Acute, protracted withdrawal after discontinuing
Began Lexapro in 2005 to ease Benzo withdrawal
Took 2 years to stabilize
Rapid taper from Lexapro in July/August 2012

I am curious did you have a doctor advice you on how to get of klonopin... did you taper?  Who's idea was it to take Lexapro to ease a Benzo withdrawal?  I don't think I have ever heard of that before. 

lexhex

Ahhhh... this is easy. I tried to taper off the Klonopin myself after I began to have severe interdose withdrawals. Then the drug began to work paradoxically. So I had to check myself into a behavioral health center to come off it completely when the outpatient doctor I was working with suggested it was safer. I was on a VERY low dose. Like .25 mg. But he was concerned that I would have seizures if I just stopped and I am notorious for getting crazy bouts of tachycardia, so it seemd like the best solution. It was 7 days of UGLY - but I was even WORSE when I went home. No sleep, no appetite, racing heart ALL DAY and NIGHT, climbing out of my skin anxiety, complete agoraphobia. It was a FECKING NIGHTMARE. Three months into the withdrawal, the doctor recommended I try Lexapro. Side effects were minimal, mostly intense nausea, but after about three or four weeks, I started to feel better. Gradually over time I became more empowered, less panicked, appetite returned, sleep went back to normal, heart rate irregularites disappeared. Took about 18 months before I considered myself stable. And I felt great. I stopped taking the Lexapro because I thought I was cured of whatever it was that caused the panic attacks in the first place, not because the drug was causing any problems for me whatsoever.

The Lexapro completely alleviated the Benzo withdrawal. It took time, but it worked. Stupidest move ever coming off. And now I'm screwed.

downtongirl

And physical symptoms of anxiety?

AliG

Downtongirl,  I don't know about propranolol, but some here have had success with Taurine for heart palpitations and anxiety. It is calming. http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/5759-taurine-for-heart-arrhythmia/

Just google Surviving Antidepressants & topic for finding information in the Symptoms  & Self- Care section. Most topics have been covered. It is the easiest way to find things.  :)

downtongirl

Downtongirl,  I don't know about propranolol, but some here have had success with Taurine for heart palpitations and anxiety. It is calming. http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/5759-taurine-for-heart-arrhythmia/

Just google Surviving Antidepressants & topic for finding information in the Symptoms  & Self- Care section. Most topics have been covered. It is the easiest way to find things.  :)

The threads are so long it is hard for me to concentrate that long

AliG

It can be stimulating at higher doses, so like anything it is best to start off  at a low dose. 250 mg seems to be the starting dose . Taurine is good for heart health.

Petunia

Topics merged.

Propranolol was one of the drugs I tried using early on to manage symptoms, but stopped when I found this site and learned its best not to use any drugs to treat withdrawal symptoms.

It didn't work very well anyway and I found that when I did take it to lower anxiety/fear, I would end up swinging to a kind of opposite state of being depressed with no energy and very low mood, which was just a bad.

If you do use it, it will need to be tapered from when you stop. See:  Tapering Alpha Blockers or Beta Blockers

tntd

I took Propranolol for severe akathisia. It immediately caused me to end up with depression just like it did for Petunia. 

Susanne

I was on 15 mg of Lexapro when I took a betablocker for my driving test (car). I was extremely nervous. It worked, but subtle. Wasn't tapering from the drug but maybe my experience will help someone.

compsports

Low doses of coreg and bystolic caused me to have depression.   Needless to say, I will do my best to avoid them in the future if a doctor tries to prescribe any beta blocker.

apathetic

Is it possible that I felt better after taking 1/4 of beta blocker Propranolol, or am I better because of something else ?
My heart was pounding faster without any reason, so my doctor gave me this beta blocker and my heart was better, but I mentally feel a tiny bit better. Could this be the reason, did anyone else have the same experience ?

Thanks in advance.

apathetic
On 1/6/2016 at 6:45 AM, Petunia said:

Topics merged.

Propranolol was one of the drugs I tried using early on to manage symptoms, but stopped when I found this site and learned its best not to use any drugs to treat withdrawal symptoms.

It didn't work very well anyway and I found that when I did take it to lower anxiety/fear, I would end up swinging to a kind of opposite state of being depressed with no energy and very low mood, which was just a bad.

If you do use it, it will need to be tapered from when you stop. See:  Tapering Alpha Blockers or Beta Blockers

I just saw this. I guess that I won't take it after this one first time (ever in my life), I'm seriously sick of tapering, ugh.

Loopylou

Does anyone take Proparanol and does it help them at all? 

chrona

It's not helping me with withdrawal.

Loopylou

I take 40mg 3x daily but doesnt seem to so much either