Yelling, Shouting, Screaming, Vocal Tics (Klazomania)

Jncs

Hi,

My husband suffers from Insomnia since Nov 2013 and has been on/off several antidepressants, benzos and other potent psychic drugs.  He had 2 ECTs which only gave him temporarily recovery.

We are now slowly tapering off his drugs.  Meanwhile, since starting the drugs, he has this morning agitation and yellings which is really agonizing him and everyone around. 

Days when we added or reduced a drug would aggravate his yellings louder and will last longer, from 7am till late afternoon.

He says the yellings stemmed from the tight chest and discomfort  He is fully aware of all this but can't control it.  Our rooms are dimmed by curtains, and he says he's not bothered by the lights.

His docs always dismissed it as "Anxiety" and denied as side effects.  More and more drugs are added to sedate his yellings and long naps are their only remedy for him.

Since joining this forum recently, I discovered many incidences are similar to ours and regretted for trusting the docs so much! After all, his problem was just Insomnia!

As we are tapering off his drugs (without the docs knowledge), his yellings and agitation also became more aggressive.

If anyone has any similar experience on dealing with such agitation and yellings, pls do share it here.  Thank you so much!

Nov 2013 - Insomnia. xanax, slept well 5 days. Insomnia returned. Lexapro, benzos (xanax or lexotan). Agitation starts. Jan 2014 - See Dr A, given Mirtazapine, slept better. Quetiapine, Lorazepam. Agitation, low mood, nervous, short yelling. Jul 14 - See Dr M. Mirtazapine. Sodium Valproate, Valdoxan, Sulpiride, Tianeptine, Effexor, Lyrica, Venlafaxine. Nov 14 - Mirt. Olanzapine 5mg. Dec 14 - Agitation worsens, morning yelling. Addicted to benzos. Warded for ECT. Jan 2015 - almost 90% recovered but only for 1 month, milder agitation and yelling returns. Apr 15 - Agitation returns, stop supplements. consulted TCM, took the wrong advice, stopped all meds. Hysterical yelling all day. May 15 - Mirt15mg (night), Olan 15mg, add Vortioxetine 10mg every am. Chlorpromazine 25mg 3x daily. June 15 - V Bad agitation, loud yelling AM to night. Addicted to benzos. warded for uni ECT. after 1 week, mild agitation and morning yelling returns. 4/8/15 - Mirt, Olan, Vort. Trifluoperazine 1mg 3x (replace Chlorpromazine). 18/8/15 - Olan 10mg, Vort 10mg am, Trifluoperazine 1mg 3x. Prozac 10mg (am). Mirt 7.5mg. 24/8/15 - Olan 10mg, Vort 10mg (AM), Trifluoperazine 3mg, Prozac 20mg (AM). Mirt11.25mg (Nite). 6/9/15 - Ditto, Prozac down to 15mg. V Bad am agitation and loud yelling. See Dr G, PART 1 TAPERING. 14/9/15 - ditto, Prozac 10mg.17 Sept - ditto, Trifluoperazine 1mg. Stop antihistamine Promethazine. 23 Sept - Trifluoperazine 1/2 mg. 28 Sept - Trif 1/4mg daily.1/10/15- Stop Trifluoperazine.2/10/15- Olanzapine 10mg, Vortioxetine 10mg, Prozac 5mg, Mirtazapine 12.8mg. 9 Oct - ditto. Prozac 2.5mg. Some good days, milder yelling. 16/10/15 - ditto. Stop Prozac. Yelling caused by restless agitation fr 7am - noon. 23/10/15 - Olan 9.5mg. up at 6am, takes AM walk daily to distract restless yelling. 31/10/15 - Olan 9mg. 6/11/15 - Yelling more aggressive and lasts longer for the week. Reinstate Olan to 9.2mg. Vort 10mg, Mirt 12.8mg. Hols 26/11 - 8/12/15, mild yellings 5/12 days, most days gd mood. 30/11/15 - Olan 9mg. 5/12/15 - Olan 8.8mg. AM agitation yellings 5/7 days. 10/12/15 Olan 8.4mg (Am 3.8mg, Nite 4.6mg, Vort 10mg, Mirt 12.8mg. 20/12/15 Mirt 12mg, Olan 8.4mg, Vort 10mg. AM yellings. Jan 2016 - see Dr L, up Mirt 30mg, Olan 10mg, stop Vort. zzz loud yelling 4pm. withdrawn. Feb 16 - See Dr D, adv to start tapering Olan. Yelling and agitation till late PM. Nervous, afraid to go outdoor. Mar 16 - Milder yelling on some days/mornings. Still nervous. 29/3/16- less nervous, more willing to go out. AM agitation, short yellings. 2/6/16 Shorter sleep, up by 6am. 1/8/16 - More good days. No yelling since mid Sept. milder AM agitation. (Hols 29/11-10/12, no agitation!). Dec 2016 - Agitation eased on most AM.

Feb 2016 - Olanzapine 10mg, Vortioxetine 5mg, Mirtazapine 15mg<p>

Off Olanzapine Apr 2017. 

Vortioxetine - 23/12/16 3.85mg.  Off Vortioxetine Aug 2017.

Mirtazapine - Off med Nov 2017.

That seemsime crazy, incomprehensir medicine to treat insomnia.

The agitation in the morning not easing at all I had acutely and its hell on earth. I just used to pace around the house I couldn't keep still and ideally have someone with me as a comfort in the fear and to talk to but a lot of the time after H went to work I had to go through it alone. It eventually starts to lift but the pattern remains at 38 months off I still have much milder anxiety in the morning and hopefully will return to normal in time. Its an almost universal pattern and people find their own help trying to meditate etc nightmare that it is and sit it out.

I frequently felt I was screaming inside but didn't verbalise. Its called a verbal tic and can be caused by withdrawal. I guess you'll have to accept it and sit it out ( I don't mean that to sound in any way harsh it just is the reality of most withdrawal symptoms). Am wary of adding stuff in to a brain and body that is already in turmoil. I do hope someone else can offer you more help

Paxil 10mg 21/2 years to June 2012 after a 2 month taper

• Moderator Emeritus

As Cressida wrote, the pattern of symptoms being worse in the mornings is quite common, see: 

Waking with panic or anxiety -- managing cortisol spikes

I also commented on your introduction thread with my thoughts.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

• 5 weeks later...

Hello Jncs. My wife has been suffering depression for the last 5 months. Initially her psychiatrist prescrived her remeron 30mg. After 6 weeks and no results he decided to add celexa 10mg, then increased to 20 mg, and finally 40mg. It did not seem to work, plus my wife's sleep got much worse (no more than 2-3 hours at night). So the psychiatrist added seroquel. After a week my wife started talking to herself and also mumbling some non-sense sounds, then yelling and screamings of the same non-sense sounds. The interesting thing is that it usually happens when she is alone. When she sees or talks to someone or in a group of people it rarely happens. But when she is alone it is almost non-stop. The doctor told her to taper off her celexa and seroquel. Now she is on remeron and he added effexor 75mg (to be increased in the future).  Her sleep is much better, but all the screaming and yelling symptoms do not go away so far. I was just wondering if you have found any solution to your husband's problem as they are very similar to my wife's symptoms.

thank you.

• Administrator

I think it's important to note that Jncs's husband is on a ridiculous cocktail of many psychiatric drugs. Polypharmacy can indeed cause strange symptoms.

mike1, it sounds like your wife is going the same route. Please start a topic for her in the Introductions forum so her story won't get lost.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello Jncs. My wife has been suffering depression for the last 5 months. Initially her psychiatrist prescrived her remeron 30mg. After 6 weeks and no results he decided to add celexa 10mg, then increased to 20 mg, and finally 40mg. It did not seem to work, plus my wife's sleep got much worse (no more than 2-3 hours at night). So the psychiatrist added seroquel. After a week my wife started talking to herself and also mumbling some non-sense sounds, then yelling and screamings of the same non-sense sounds. The interesting thing is that it usually happens when she is alone. When she sees or talks to someone or in a group of people it rarely happens. But when she is alone it is almost non-stop. The doctor told her to taper off her celexa and seroquel. Now she is on remeron and he added effexor 75mg (to be increased in the future).  Her sleep is much better, but all the screaming and yelling symptoms do not go away so far. I was just wondering if you have found any solution to your husband's problem as they are very similar to my wife's symptoms.

thank you.

Hi mike1,

Sorry for the late reply. I'm sorry to hear that your wife is in similar predicament. No, my hb is still yelling the moment he's awake in the morning.  Have been taking for him for walks, keep engaging him by talking. This helps to reduce the intensity but the problem remains.  On very bad days, he will insist on taking propranolol or antihistamine which he claims it helps.

I will, however, try to avoid adding drugs as much as possible.  Antihistamine helps by sedating him but again, he can't be sleeping through till noon till his restlessness and yelling eases. Hence, it's still a struggle seeing him like this.  We are definitely reducing his medication very slowly, and carefully.

Hope yr wife is recovering. Stay strong!

Nov 2013 - Insomnia. xanax, slept well 5 days. Insomnia returned. Lexapro, benzos (xanax or lexotan). Agitation starts. Jan 2014 - See Dr A, given Mirtazapine, slept better. Quetiapine, Lorazepam. Agitation, low mood, nervous, short yelling. Jul 14 - See Dr M. Mirtazapine. Sodium Valproate, Valdoxan, Sulpiride, Tianeptine, Effexor, Lyrica, Venlafaxine. Nov 14 - Mirt. Olanzapine 5mg. Dec 14 - Agitation worsens, morning yelling. Addicted to benzos. Warded for ECT. Jan 2015 - almost 90% recovered but only for 1 month, milder agitation and yelling returns. Apr 15 - Agitation returns, stop supplements. consulted TCM, took the wrong advice, stopped all meds. Hysterical yelling all day. May 15 - Mirt15mg (night), Olan 15mg, add Vortioxetine 10mg every am. Chlorpromazine 25mg 3x daily. June 15 - V Bad agitation, loud yelling AM to night. Addicted to benzos. warded for uni ECT. after 1 week, mild agitation and morning yelling returns. 4/8/15 - Mirt, Olan, Vort. Trifluoperazine 1mg 3x (replace Chlorpromazine). 18/8/15 - Olan 10mg, Vort 10mg am, Trifluoperazine 1mg 3x. Prozac 10mg (am). Mirt 7.5mg. 24/8/15 - Olan 10mg, Vort 10mg (AM), Trifluoperazine 3mg, Prozac 20mg (AM). Mirt11.25mg (Nite). 6/9/15 - Ditto, Prozac down to 15mg. V Bad am agitation and loud yelling. See Dr G, PART 1 TAPERING. 14/9/15 - ditto, Prozac 10mg.17 Sept - ditto, Trifluoperazine 1mg. Stop antihistamine Promethazine. 23 Sept - Trifluoperazine 1/2 mg. 28 Sept - Trif 1/4mg daily.1/10/15- Stop Trifluoperazine.2/10/15- Olanzapine 10mg, Vortioxetine 10mg, Prozac 5mg, Mirtazapine 12.8mg. 9 Oct - ditto. Prozac 2.5mg. Some good days, milder yelling. 16/10/15 - ditto. Stop Prozac. Yelling caused by restless agitation fr 7am - noon. 23/10/15 - Olan 9.5mg. up at 6am, takes AM walk daily to distract restless yelling. 31/10/15 - Olan 9mg. 6/11/15 - Yelling more aggressive and lasts longer for the week. Reinstate Olan to 9.2mg. Vort 10mg, Mirt 12.8mg. Hols 26/11 - 8/12/15, mild yellings 5/12 days, most days gd mood. 30/11/15 - Olan 9mg. 5/12/15 - Olan 8.8mg. AM agitation yellings 5/7 days. 10/12/15 Olan 8.4mg (Am 3.8mg, Nite 4.6mg, Vort 10mg, Mirt 12.8mg. 20/12/15 Mirt 12mg, Olan 8.4mg, Vort 10mg. AM yellings. Jan 2016 - see Dr L, up Mirt 30mg, Olan 10mg, stop Vort. zzz loud yelling 4pm. withdrawn. Feb 16 - See Dr D, adv to start tapering Olan. Yelling and agitation till late PM. Nervous, afraid to go outdoor. Mar 16 - Milder yelling on some days/mornings. Still nervous. 29/3/16- less nervous, more willing to go out. AM agitation, short yellings. 2/6/16 Shorter sleep, up by 6am. 1/8/16 - More good days. No yelling since mid Sept. milder AM agitation. (Hols 29/11-10/12, no agitation!). Dec 2016 - Agitation eased on most AM.

Off Olanzapine Apr 2017. 

• 2 months later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Jncs, I was wondering if you are still out there and how is your husband these days?

SG

Started ADs back around 1995 after bad break-up, starting with Prozac.  Switched to Wellbutrin, and then to Effexor in 2002
Effexor XR 2002-2014 up to 225 mg at one point, down to 37.5 mg towards end but back up to 75 mg in 2014; now realize I had W/D as I dropped down, memory very poor about history.  Extreme emotions, poor concentration as I stepped back down, didn't connect the dots!
Summer 2014 reduced to 0 very quickly, was sick of anhedonia/sexual dysfunction due to meds, depression never controlled if not worse. Didn't recognize WD since symptoms built slowly (thought I had ADD! and menopausal on top of it), starting with severe sweats, very bad cog-fog and memory issues, culminating in weight loss, severe anxiety and depression, panic, severe apathy and insomnia by eight months off.  Saw p-doc who put me on Remeron, increased from 7.5 mg/day to 37.5 mg by May 22, 2015; still doing very badly though able to sleep.

June 1. 2015 Reinstated Effexor XR 37.5 mg, Remeron dropped to 30 mg PM. Immediate relief of symptoms, like nothing had ever happened!  Joined SA and began on advice of friend who recognized it was WD all along! Began tapering in July 2015.

Been tapering both meds ever since, focusing on one more than the other or doing no more than 5% of each per month.

12 mg Effexor and 5.8 mg Remeron (mirtazapine SolTabs to make a solution with OraPlus) as of 5/4/2017 

Update 3/14/18: 2.9 mg Remeron and 6 mg Effexor; 6/10/18:  2.6 mg Remeron and 4.9 mg Effexor

My intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/9313-squirrellygirl-effexor-withdrawal-etc/page-2#entry196679

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

• 2 weeks later...

Jncs, I was wondering if you are still out there and how is your husband these days?

SG

Hello SG,

Thank you for your concern.

My husband is still on a gradual reduction of his drugs (its down to Olanzapine 10mg, Mirt 15mg, Vortioxetine 5mg). His yellings and agitation caused by tight chest remains and in the past month has extended to late afternoons as well. Usually it subsides by noon.

Doctors are still clueness to his symptoms. :(

Off Olanzapine Apr 2017. 

SG

Hello SG,

Thank you for your concern.

My husband is still on a gradual reduction of his drugs (its down to Olanzapine 10mg, Mirt 15mg, Vortioxetine 5mg). His yellings and agitation caused by tight chest remains and in the past month has extended to late afternoons as well. Usually it subsides by noon.

Doctors are still clueness to his symptoms. :(

In addition, he gets nervous lately and refused to go outdoor the past week.

Off Olanzapine Apr 2017. 

• Moderator Emeritus

I'm sorry to hear that the yelling is still a problem and it appears he now has agoraphobia.  I had agoraphobia in withdrawal.  It should pass as he stabilizes on his current level of meds.  Maybe holding a little longer at his current level than you would otherwise would let his nervous system get caught up with the cuts. 

I thought of you because someone else on the boards was having uncontrolled yelling, too.  It is a perplexing withdrawal symptom!

Well, I hope things improve for him.  I feel so horrible about what's been done to him with these meds and what you are going through taking care of him!

Hugs!

SG

Started ADs back around 1995 after bad break-up, starting with Prozac.  Switched to Wellbutrin, and then to Effexor in 2002
Effexor XR 2002-2014 up to 225 mg at one point, down to 37.5 mg towards end but back up to 75 mg in 2014; now realize I had W/D as I dropped down, memory very poor about history.  Extreme emotions, poor concentration as I stepped back down, didn't connect the dots!
Summer 2014 reduced to 0 very quickly, was sick of anhedonia/sexual dysfunction due to meds, depression never controlled if not worse. Didn't recognize WD since symptoms built slowly (thought I had ADD! and menopausal on top of it), starting with severe sweats, very bad cog-fog and memory issues, culminating in weight loss, severe anxiety and depression, panic, severe apathy and insomnia by eight months off.  Saw p-doc who put me on Remeron, increased from 7.5 mg/day to 37.5 mg by May 22, 2015; still doing very badly though able to sleep.

June 1. 2015 Reinstated Effexor XR 37.5 mg, Remeron dropped to 30 mg PM. Immediate relief of symptoms, like nothing had ever happened!  Joined SA and began on advice of friend who recognized it was WD all along! Began tapering in July 2015.

Been tapering both meds ever since, focusing on one more than the other or doing no more than 5% of each per month.

12 mg Effexor and 5.8 mg Remeron (mirtazapine SolTabs to make a solution with OraPlus) as of 5/4/2017 

Update 3/14/18: 2.9 mg Remeron and 6 mg Effexor; 6/10/18:  2.6 mg Remeron and 4.9 mg Effexor

My intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/9313-squirrellygirl-effexor-withdrawal-etc/page-2#entry196679

• 2 years later...

I have this when things are bad, feel like I just want to yell and scream the house down, sometimes it gets the better of me but mostly I can hold it in. When I do hold it in it's still bad though, it's as if your soul is screaming out for help and there's nothing you can do about it.  It's a lot worse in the mornings has settles somewhat the last week though... touch wood …..

2006-2007 ZOLOFT 25-300mg/day 2007-2015 ZOLOFT 300mg/day 2015-20th Oct 2017 200mg/day ZOLOFT STOPPED CT 3 week standard WD thought I was home free BUT 4th month went downhill rapidly.More than just depression, my brain was trying to cope with the sudden lack of ZOLOFT but couldn't. BIGGEST MISTAKE OF MY LIFE

2/3/2018 took 200mg ZOLOFT  @ 3pm FELT GREAT WITHIN 30 MINUTES.. (Zoloft was always instant for me from day 1) 24 hours later MIND SPLIT IN HALF/BODY CRASHED

March 3rd 2018 - Present. 24 Tamezepam, 40 Diazepam, 65 Oxazepam, 10 Alprazolam, 100? Lorazepam

4/3/2018 - 8/3/2018 EFFEXOR 75mg/day 9/3/2018 - 22/3/2018 ZOLOFT 50mg/day 23/3/2018 - 5/4/2018 ZOLOFT 100mg/day 6/4/2018 - 19/4/2018 ZOLOFT 200mg/day

19/6/2018 - 25/6/2018 OLANZAPINE 7.5mg/night 26/6/2018 - 8/7/2018 OLANZAPINE 15mg/night

29/6/2018 - 5/7/2018 ZOLOFT 200mg/day

6/7/2018 - 8/7/2018 Vortioxetine 5mg/day 

10/7/2018 - 29/7/2018 ZOLOFT 175mg/day

ATIVAN 29/6/2018 - 13/7/2018 - 2mg /day 14/7/2018 - 16/7/2018 spaced (x3 0.5mg doses/day)  17/7/2018  - 29/7/2018 spaced (x4 0.5mg doses/day)

• Administrator

What you're describing is not klazomania, deejay.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy