Coopergirl1 off Lexapro, with emotional anesthesia

Coopergirl1

I appreciate your help and advice so much and I agree with you completely. I will try this. I just feel like I am alone in feeling this way but I am sure plenty of other people have! I need to remind myself I don't have it as bad as others and to be grateful for that.

Started Prozac 20 MG March 2014-Sept 2014

New doctor switched me to Lexapro 10 MG and it helped from Sept 2014-Feb 2015 and then I felt the Lexapro wasn't helping as much so he changed the dose to 20 MG and I took that from Feb 2015-July 2015 when I decided to get off pills completely.I had to reinstate as I was feeling so bad and very pressured to go back on pills. My Dr put me on 50 MG zoloft and I took it for about a week..made me feel brain dead. Went down to 25 before I really learned the trouble of fast tapering..finally got a jewelry scale to properly weigh out my pills. Looking to just feel OK. Unsure where to go next.

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Coopergirl1

• Altostrata

• brassmonkey

• Theon

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrator

Meditation is an excellent way to deal with rough spots in life. Learn how to do it now and you'll have a special talent way beyond your friends!

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Administrator

Coopergirl, psychiatric drugs dull emotions for many people. That is how they work.

Ignore what your friends tell you to do.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Altostrata- I picked up Magnesium and Lyosine from a health store and I feel I definitely need to give those a chance. Today is a bit better. I thank you for all your help.

New doctor switched me to Lexapro 10 MG and it helped from Sept 2014-Feb 2015 and then I felt the Lexapro wasn't helping as much so he changed the dose to 20 MG and I took that from Feb 2015-July 2015 when I decided to get off pills completely.I had to reinstate as I was feeling so bad and very pressured to go back on pills. My Dr put me on 50 MG zoloft and I took it for about a week..made me feel brain dead. Went down to 25 before I really learned the trouble of fast tapering..finally got a jewelry scale to properly weigh out my pills. Looking to just feel OK. Unsure where to go next.

Hi all..sorry to bother. I was wondering if this could be part of withdrawal and neuro emotion. I have been in a committed relationship for 1 year and a few months ago while on Lexapro I noticed someone at the health club and was like oh he's good looking and went on with my day..2 months off Lexapro and my brain is saying oo you might be bored you should go for the guy at the gym. I don't want that!? I don't want to even think like that..how ridiculous. I have pretty much told myself duh your brain is healing and yes it is neuro emotion. The thoughts have been going away. Sorry for venting just ashamed.

I meant Tyrosine. Not Lyosine.

I need to know that the decisions I am making now are not really me and that I need to wait until my brain is healed before making any decisions. It is so hard to tell myself this isn't the real me..yet.

• Administrator

• Moderator Emeritus

You wrote:

I honestly just can't control the crying, emotions and confusion. 

The key word here is "control."  Nobody can control their thoughts, nobody can control their emotions, just like you cannot control what the weather will be like outside.  If you need to cry, then cry.  And cry.  And cry.  Until you are done.  Don't judge it, just do it.  See what is at the bottom of that well.  

In trying to control emotion, you dam it up, and when the dam becomes overfull, it bursts and overflows, and you have even less control than if you hadn't tried to dam it to begin with.  Most of us are working with a dam - the drugs do that anyway - numb us to feelings.  But the feelings don't go away, they build up.  It is better to open the sluice gates, let it out - and you might find that your emotions are telling you something.

Maybe your crying is telling you how much you appreciate your boyfriend.  Maybe other emotions are telling you of situations that you need to avoid, such as friends or even family who tear down your self-esteem.  Maybe your regrets are instead a yearning to pursue something you have dreamed about, like horseback riding, or kite flying, or some form of art or music or dance?  Feelings are reactive, they react to good and bad.  But often they contain a grain of insight that you can learn from, too.

But control?  "How do you catch a cloud and pin it down?"  (only 25 points for guessing that tune!)

You might enjoy this video:

It explains very much what you've been feeling.

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

I agree 100% with this video and have done a lot of research to back up how I am feeling. Is two months off Lexapro a long time? I have no feelings for anyone or anything still. Will they eventually come back? I pray.

Hi Cooper, if you mean feeling overly ashamed by a normal sexual thought, yes I would say that could be a neuro emotion.  Depression itself though can sometimes make a person feel more negative emotions, like guilt, about themselves too, even without a drug, so it could be either.

Starting ds 2 (12.5 CR'S) = 25 MG PAXIL CR 1/21/15: 1 Pill + 10mg liquid (2 weeks) 2/4: 1 Pill + 9mg Lq (3 weeks) 2/25: 1 Pill + 8 mg lq (1 week) 3/4: 1 Pill + 6 mg lq (2 weeks) 3/18/15 1 Pill + 4 mg lq (2 weeks) 4/1/15 1 Pill + 3 mg lq (2 weeks) 4/14/15 1 Pill + 2 mg lq (2 weeks) 4/29/15 1Pill + 1 mg lq (16 days) 5/15/15 1 12.5 mg Pill ONLY (9 days) 5/24/15 12 mgs liquid (8 days) 6/1/15 11mg lq (12 days) 6/13/15 10 mg.  12/3/15 Drop from 8mg to 7.6 (24 days to) 12/27/15 7.2mgs 8/4/16 6.8mgs,  11/1/16 6.4mgs, 2/5/17 6 mgs  4/3/17 5.6mgs, 4/24/17 5.2mg, 6/13/17 4.8mgs, 9/20/17 4.4mgS, 11/23/17 4 mgs, 1/1/18 3.6 mgs, 2/15/18 3.2 mgs. 4/13/18 2.8mgs, 5/11/18 2.4mgs, 6/10/18 2.0 mgs, 8/4/18 1.6mgs,  9/27/18 1.2mgs, 12/24/18 0.8mg, 3/24/19 0.64 mg,(syringe change issue date?) 4/22/19 0.60 mg, 5/24/19 0.60 mg, 7/7/19 0.52 mgs, 8/4/19 0.44mgs, 11/4/19 0.36mgs, 2/1/20 0.28mgs, 3/1/20 0.24mgs (crash April 6) Compound started 6/28/21: 0.24mgs, 8/29/21: 0.22mgs, 10/31/21: 0.20mgs, 1/03/22: 0.18mgs, 3/5/22: 0.16mgs, 5/5/22: 0.14mgs.

Original Wellbutrin Dose: 6 months from 9/14 to 3/2015, 300 XL 3/15/15: Half to 150 XL ( severe symptoms started on day 12) 4/16/15: 125mg   for 20 days to: 5/6/15:   100mg  for  15 days to: 5/21/15    75mg  for  10 days to: 6/1/15:  56.25mg      13 days to: 6/13/15: 37.25mg    7 days to: 6/20/15  28.12mg   14 days to: 7/4/15  18.75mg, 7 days to: 7/11/15; RAISE BACK TO: 28.12 to 8/14/15: 18.75mg  20 days to :9/3/15 : 12.5mg, 8/4/16 9mg 1/9/17: 8.5mg 2/8/17 8mg, 3/9/17: 7.6  4/9/17  7.2  5/27/17 6.4 6/24/17 5.8, 8/1/17 5.0, 8/29/17 4.2mgs, 10/2/17 3.5mgs, 12/28/17 2.5mgs, 2/27/18 1.7mgs,  4/19/18 0.8 mgs, LAST DOSE: 6/11/18:  3 YEARS, 2 MONTHS, 27 DAYS...

• Administrator

Coopergirl, having crying spells is "normal" for withdrawal syndrome. See The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

When animals feel bad, they want to curl up under a bush until they get better. Is this what your "brain" is telling you?

Some of us do not want to be fussed over when we're sick.

On the other hand, you're looking at months of dealing with these symptoms, which will very gradually go away. Which would be better, to learn to surf those waves of symptoms so you can continue your relationship with your boyfriend, or curl up under a bush?

• Administrator

Moved posts here because they were off-topic in prior location.

Hi all..sorry to bother. I was wondering if this could be part of withdrawal and neuro emotion. I have been in a committed relationship for 1 year and a few months ago while on Lexapro I noticed someone at the health club and was like oh he's good looking and went on with my day..2 months off Lexapro and my brain is saying oo you might be bored you should go for the guy at the gym. I don't want that!? I don't want to even think like that..how ridiculous. I have pretty much told myself duh your brain is healing and yes it is neuro emotion. The thoughts have been going away. Sorry for venting just ashamed.

Coopergirl, there's nothing wrong with window-shopping. You'll be doing that for the rest of your life.

In fact, I would take that as your libido perking up.

Have you ever worked with a therapist? I am wondering why you seem to be afraid of your own thoughts. I highly recommend you find a sympathetic therapist.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone, I am doing a bit better. I had to reinstate to 5mg lexapro. This took away all withdrawal symptoms of my fast taper. I do not trust my Dr at all and that is why I have been to cognitive therapy twice so far and plan on being med free in the future. I was wondering has anyone had to reinstate to a small dose and done a taper from that? I want off completely I just don't ever want to go back to pain like that. I appreciate all of you. Thank you!

Is your emotional anesthesia completey gone?

No it is not. I am confused tho is this the real me or still the drugged me since I am 5mg..ugh

Any advice from anyone experiencing or have experienced something similar?

• Moderator Emeritus

Hey Coopergirl,

When did you reinstate 5mg of lexapro? Please would you add that to your signature along with the date. Also see: See:  About reinstating and stabilizing to stop withdrawal symptoms

5mg of lexapro is not a small dose, its quite enough to numb your emotions.  But it has stopped your withdrawal symptoms, so that's good.

When you are ready to stop taking it again, it will need to be tapered. See:  Tips for tapering off Lexapro (escitalopram)

Many of our members have reinstated a small amount of a drug they were in withdrawal from and have gone on to stabilize and do proper tapers.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

You're the best Petunia♡ thank you. You just made me smile. I am going to do the proper taper.

May I ask does anyone have a theory on why prozac 20mg didn't seem to change me as me when I was on it for 6 months compared to the completely different person I feel like I am after I was on lexapro 10mg and shortly after bumped up to 20mg? I have read that lexapro seems to be stronger maybe that is it? Any help would help me so much, thank you.

It happened the same to me but instead of different drugs, same drugs but different times: 

I took prozac for 3/4 months in 2014- no problems at all, it helped me managing my anxiety and finishen well the exams, etc

I took prozac for 4 months in 2015- change of personality, took months to "work", blunted my emotions, killed my libido, made me emotionally flat, etc etc.

With you it happened with the second drug instead of with the second round of ssri... i don't know if it can be the same thing that happened to me.. maybe

About me ------------------------ College student with a history of anxiety, excessive worrying and health anxiety.

April 2014 - May 2015----------    Prozac 20mg On and Off.  Second time on it I developed apathy, changes in personality, asexuality.

May 2015  -   July 2015-----------------  Tappering off prozac. Still no feelings,anhedonia, apathy, no libido, asexuality.

Current symptoms--------  pssd (asexuality in my case). Anxiety and depression developed some months afer stopping prozac, could have been caused by obsessing and beating myself up too much when I found myself unable to like girls again. The best thing to do with pssd (which in my case is asexuality) is accept it and move on.

Theon- you always know what to say to actually bring a little light to my dark days. I appreciate your response. I used to be so fun and loving and excited and I just lost that spark. I want it back but I don't know how to get it. Besides being off the pills and waiting..

Theon- you always know what to say to actually bring a little light to my dark days. I appreciate your response. I used to be so fun and loving and excited and I just lost that spark. I want it back but I don't know how to get it. Besides being off the pills and waiting..

No problem Coopergirl :)

The loss of spark is actually my exact problem :), you are not alone, waiting and trying to live our life the best we can is the only thing we can do unfortunately... but time is our friend, and that's huge.

About me ------------------------ College student with a history of anxiety, excessive worrying and health anxiety.

April 2014 - May 2015----------    Prozac 20mg On and Off.  Second time on it I developed apathy, changes in personality, asexuality.

May 2015  -   July 2015-----------------  Tappering off prozac. Still no feelings,anhedonia, apathy, no libido, asexuality.

Current symptoms--------  pssd (asexuality in my case). Anxiety and depression developed some months afer stopping prozac, could have been caused by obsessing and beating myself up too much when I found myself unable to like girls again. The best thing to do with pssd (which in my case is asexuality) is accept it and move on.

Why is it hard for me to see it was the drugs changing me slowly but surely and I know all we can do is wait to become ourselves again. Does that make sense?

Hi all. I went to the doctor to tell her I would like a proper tapering plan now that I am back on a small dose and she basically laughed at me and said you tapered over a month that is plenty long enough, I usually taper my patients off over a 2 week period so she gave me a new tapering plan of TWO weeks. I'm sorry but what the hell. Clearly she has no idea and that really bothers me. How can uneducated people be giving out such dangerous medications. I told her I have been off 2 months of Lexapro and she said it was not withdrawal I was having and it was depression coming back. I do not believe her. What do you think? Thanks so much

Hi Cooper -

Here's what I say...

"Same story, different (misinformed) doctor"

Mine gave me that same "talk" yesterday. So, let's see...I wonder if you asked her just how many patients she has that this fast taper worked for with no problems, what her reply would be?

This is exactly why it's called PRACTICING medicine. We are all human guinea pigs...

Karen

1999-Wellbutrin for anxiety/depression-CT after less than 1 yr with no prob

2000-2010-AD (can't remember which) a few times for a few months-CT each time with no prob

2012 - Ambien (sleep) and Propanolol (public speaking anxiety)

Jan 2013 - Apr 2014 - Sertraline (25, then 50mg) Ambien after bout with depression

Apr 2014 - Apr 2015 - Sertraline 100mg and Amitriptylene 25mg-CT in May/June. Did notice increased anxiety, moodiness.

Aug/Sept 2015 - Trazodone 50mg (11 days for sleep), Phentermine 37.5mg 11 days), Tramadol 50mg (2 days for kidney stone pain)

Oct 2nd - CT from Trazodone and Phentermine - CRASHED 2 days later. Severe depression, anxiety, constant crying

RI Oct 15th - Citalopram 10mg daily, Vitamin D, Fish Oil Capsule, Magnesium, Simply Sleep at night. Will start weaning 11/15 if stable.

same old same old from the medical profession.... most don't have a clue.

I'm sure that the tapering methods on this site will aid you in your quest and assist you in your recovery process.  You will heal in time but you have to be kind to yourself and not put any pressure on your recovery.

Namaste.

1997 - 2001 Seroxat 10mg

2001 - 2013 Escitalopram 10mg

Gradual taper from 10mg to 5mg over 2.5 years (between 2011 - 2013)

Last taper from 5mg to 0 under advice from doctor done in 1 month (too damn fast!) - included missing out days.

Have been drug free since Oct 2013.  - Yep 5 years drugs free

Thanks so much you guys!! I hope the best for you

I am amazed at how much these drugs took AWAY from me. Not any benefit besides not being able to feel..

"return of the original condition" is the excuse that causes many of the problems we see here.  Instead of treating the WD properly they just throw more drugs at the "original condition".  More often than not the original problem wasn't even depression, as in my case it was anger.  So you can't tell me that depression is the original condition returning.

Frequently is ends up being best not to even discuss it with your doctor. Just use them as a supplier for what you need to take and control the dose yourself.  As far as my doctor knows I'm still on 40mg of paxil.

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

Brass I totally agree with you. I was prescribed ssri after a bad breakup with a former boyfriend. The doctor didn't even give me a minute to explain she just said here take these and you'll feel better. True, I didn't feel sad anymore but it was because I couldn't cry which is a normal emotion to have when you are hurt or upset. I also had been drinking a lot at the time too so that also will not help sadness. These doctors are so quick to prescribe and do not I repeat do not let you know the harmful effects. I am currently trying not to destroy a good relationship due to emotional anesthesia and that is why I am doing everything in my power to get off these drugs.

It's important at first to accept that you feel this way. Once you truly accept this and that its temporary, your every move won't have your complete attention, and your emotions will start flowing more naturally again. It's important to remember how you used to be before this, before Ssri. Remember how your mind was free flowing, how you weren't super focused on your symptoms and lack of emotions. Just remember that you will get better, your brain just needs time to slow down again and process

Weaned off Effexor XR 75mg after one year of use

I'm experiencing the most debilitating symptoms ever imaginable

-pssd

-Emotional Numbness

Last dose was in august '15 after  weaning off for 6 months

I have a question..is it strange that I had no withdrawal going from 20mg Prozac to 10 MG Lexapro but now that I am trying to get off Lexapro 20mg I am having very hard withdrawals? Thanks for any help. I just wonder if one is stronger than the other

Does this make any sense? Sorry can't get any straight answers from doctor.

Offeverything, I truly appreciate your reply. Made my day a little brighter. I hope you're right and believe you are.

Heres one opinion...switching yo-yoing updosing polydrugging..all thicken the prison bars of addiction.

Have you done any of those....

Thought for the day: Lets stand up, and let’s speak out , together. G Olsen

We have until the 14th. Feb 2018. 

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

http://www.parliament.scot/GettingInvolved/Petitions/PE01651   

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017