monechristie28 Mirtazapine taper - should I listen to my GP?

monechristie28

Hi guys, I have been on 30mg of Mirtazapine since April 2014 following a traumatic birth. I suffered PTSD, anxiety and insomnia. I spoke to my GP yesterday about tapering off. She told me to go straight to 15mg and stay on that dose for a month and for the month following I should alternate a day of 15mg and a day of 0mg, and then stop. I'm pretty scared to do this after reading all of the experiences of others. So I've been prescribed 15mg soltabs as opposed to 30mg tablets and I'm not sure where to go from here. Things are so wonderful at the moment and I don't want to jeopardise the wellbeing of my family or myself. So.....do I follow the advise of my doctor?

Commenced Mirtazapine 30mg April 2014 for post natal anxiety, insomnia and PTSD following a traumatic birth. Commenced 10% taper December 2016.

welcome 'monechristie28' thats a big drop your doctors asked you to do.Could you go back to your GP and voice your concerns about tapering so fast and irregular ?

Sertraline 100mg amytrip 60mg diazepam 4mg (and when needed) since late 90's.Reduced all meds over 6 wks (too short) last doses 13 wks ago.Still having withdrawals.I would have done it differently

5th august 2015 reinstated 5mg amytripiline.increased to 10mg amtrip 9th sept 2015.

Hello MC,

My doctor also advised me the same tapering schedule as you. IT DIDNT GO WELL!

Please see the tapering rules on this site.

There are many of us tapering from this drug.

Take it slow and follow the 10% rule! No need to rush it.

tgirl

I am not a doctor. Any advise I give out is just advise. I am not a doctor.

April 2014 remeron 45mg.

June 2014 abilify 2.5 remeron wasn't working so abilify was then added

September 2014 woke up with anxiety x 100!!!!

Pdoc then took me from 45 to 7.5 within a month and took abilify from 2.5 to 0

Currently

Remeron 7.5

Vitamin d 5,000 iu taking for about 3 years

October 2014 added fish oil/omega 3 1000 mg per day

Levothyroxitine 100 10 years or so

Dec 2014 started tapering 10% every 10 days-no problems.

August 2015 down to 0.1 mg

Woke up with severe anxiety-sleep issues-racing thoughts-depression. 9/9/15 up dose 1 mg.

I'd like to do the 10% taper, but my husband thinks I'm crazy for 'believing the Internet' instead of trusting the doctors. He's calling me 'Dr Google'. I just have zero support and everyone in my life wants me to go against my instincts. I just feel alone and scared. :-(

Commenced Mirtazapine 30mg April 2014 for post natal anxiety, insomnia and PTSD following a traumatic birth. Commenced 10% taper December 2016.

Hi monechristie-- welcome to the group.  I think you found us just in time.  The taper schedule your doctor gave you is similar to the one given to many of the people here and it does not work.  Many people think of mirtazapine as a rather mild drug, when in fact it is a very tricky one to get off of.  It is also very quick to throw you into withdrawal syndrome which is very hard to break out of.  If you are feeling pretty good right now it would be an excellent time to start a slow taper and get of the drug under your own terms.  I am so sorry that you are not getting good support from your doctor or DH it really makes this whole process a lot more bearable.  This is the best time to go with your instincts, listening to what our body is telling you is a big key to a smooth taper.

What is withdrawal syndrome?

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

How do you talk to a doctor about tapering and withdrawal?

Tips for tapering off Remeron (mirtazapine)

If you would please add your history to a signature block it would really help us to help you.

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/893-please-put-your-withdrawal-history-in-your-signature/     

Edited by brassmonkey
Fixed Signature URL

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

• Moderator Emeritus

Is there a reason they don't want you to take your time? Or is it just a Dr knows best thing?

I have struggled to come off as you can read in my thread. I could usually make the first cut to 15 mg but going lower got much more difficult (particularly because I had a number of failed attempts which threw my system into disarray).

Some people can come off quicker than others and with minimal drama. But we can't know in advance which category we will fall into

My recommendation to you, start slow, keep it consistent (drop doses, don't alternate) and listen to your body

Read these threads:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1024-why-taper-by-10-of-my-dosage/

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6632-the-rule-of-3kis-keep-it-simple-keep-it-slow-keep-it-stable/

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/5301-tips-for-tapering-off-remeron-mirtazapine/

We are here to support you to make good decisions for yourself

Dalsaan

Please note - I am not a medical practitioner and I do not give medical advice. I offer an opinion based on my own experiences, reading and discussion with others.On Effexor for 2 months at the start of 2005. Had extreme insomnia as an adverse reaction. Changed to mirtazapine. Have been trying to get off since mid 2008 with numerous failures including CTs and slow (but not slow enough tapers)Have slow tapered at 10 per cent or less for years. I have liquid mirtazapine made at a compounding chemist.

Was on 1.6 ml as at 19 March 2014.

Dropped to 1.5 ml 7 June 2014. Dropped to 1.4 in about September.

Dropped to 1.3 on 20 December 2014. Dropped to 1.2 in mid Jan 2015.

Dropped to 1 ml in late Feb 2015. I think my old medication had run out of puff so I tried 1ml when I got the new stuff and it seems to be going ok. Sleep has been good over the last week (as of 13/3/15).

Dropped to 1/2 ml 14/11/15 Fatigue still there as are memory and cognition problems. Sleep is patchy but liveable compared to what it has been in the past.

DRUG FREE - as at 1st May 2017

>My intro post is here - http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2250-dalsaan

• Moderator Emeritus

Looks like great minds post at the same time

Please note - I am not a medical practitioner and I do not give medical advice. I offer an opinion based on my own experiences, reading and discussion with others.On Effexor for 2 months at the start of 2005. Had extreme insomnia as an adverse reaction. Changed to mirtazapine. Have been trying to get off since mid 2008 with numerous failures including CTs and slow (but not slow enough tapers)Have slow tapered at 10 per cent or less for years. I have liquid mirtazapine made at a compounding chemist.

Was on 1.6 ml as at 19 March 2014.

Dropped to 1.5 ml 7 June 2014. Dropped to 1.4 in about September.

Dropped to 1.3 on 20 December 2014. Dropped to 1.2 in mid Jan 2015.

Dropped to 1 ml in late Feb 2015. I think my old medication had run out of puff so I tried 1ml when I got the new stuff and it seems to be going ok. Sleep has been good over the last week (as of 13/3/15).

Dropped to 1/2 ml 14/11/15 Fatigue still there as are memory and cognition problems. Sleep is patchy but liveable compared to what it has been in the past.

DRUG FREE - as at 1st May 2017

>My intro post is here - http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2250-dalsaan

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the delay with my reply....I think my husband would like me to taper quicker because he'd like to try for another baby and if I'm being honest, I would too, but I don't know if it's worth the risk. Plus he thinks I'm some kind of paranoid crazy person who thinks all the doctors are lying to me. Either way, I've decided to begin a 10% taper. How did everyone do this? Crush the tablet and weigh it? And at what point do you drop to 0?

Hi Monechristie-- it's good to see you back.  There are several ways to do a 10% taper the two most popular are crushing and weighing the tablet and the other is making your own liquid.  The other  choices are getting a prescription for compounded pills which can be expensive or getting a prescription for the liquid version which can also be expensive and both require the cooperation of your doctor.

Using a digital scale to measure doses

How to make a liquid from tablets or capsules

Please, it is very important that you add a signature block with your drug information, it really helps us to quickly understand what is happening.

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/893-please-put-your-withdrawal-history-in-your-signature/

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

• Administrator

Welcome, mone.

Please read instructions for tapering in Tips for tapering off Remeron (mirtazapine)

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Moderator Emeritus
On 08/10/2015 at 10:13 PM, monechristie28 said:

...And at what point do you drop to 0?

This topic should help with this question:  Tapering to zero -- when do you just drop off? When to end the taper and jump to zero?

How do you determine a good stopping point?

Edited by ChessieCat
Provided correct link

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

• 1 year later...

Hi guys, it's been a while, but I have only just worked up the courage to begin my 10% taper, I'm about a week into it - so far, so good. The day after the reduction, I experienced a weird head pressure wave and almost fell over at work - not sure what that was about. Other than that, I've had a bit of irritabilty and a mild sensitivity to noise. It seems too early for withdrawal symptoms so I'm not sure if that's the cause, but either way, it's been very tolerable. I'm just going to take it one day at a time and make sure I appreciate all of the good moments. I am doing a low carb diet, regular walking, taking multivitamins with fish oil and will commence some mindfulness meditation this week. I just want to make sure I am looking after myself to give my brain and body the best chance at recovery. If anyone has any tips, I'd love to hear them - I will be browsing the forums to pick up as many as possible. :)