Putitoutthere Off Paxil but on cipralex

Putitoutthere

Hi there,

I'm new here and have yet to make up a profile, but I will. I have been on Paxil for...hmmm, 18 yrs? Two years ago a doc pit me on cipralex while decreasing Paxil cause I was struggling. The question is this. My dose of cipralex hasn't changed for 2 yrs, the only thing that is changing is the Paxil dose which is being weaning slowly. The question is, can you have withdrawal from Paxil even though I'm "covered" by another one? My doc thinks it's psychological..il not sure. I have really good periods then awful periods. He goal is to get off the cipralex at some point. Paxil is almost done:)

Thanks

Hi outthere-- welcome to the group.  Very good question.  The basic answer is yes.  In fact we have a couple of very good threads on that topic;

Taking multiple psych drugs? Which drug to taper first?

Taper more than one drug at a time?

Another couple of threads that would be goo to read over would be;

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

What is withdrawal syndrom

Getting your signature posted will really help us;

Please put your withdrawal history in your signature

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

• Moderator Emeritus

Welcome Putitoutthere,

How have you been tapering the Paxil? What dose are you at now?

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

Welcome! I have heard that some people do experience paxil withdrawals even when covered by other medications. More knowledgeable folks around here can help with that. I just wanted to drop in and offer support and say welcome. 

40 years old and have been on 20 mg of Paxil for the last 19 years. Multiple unsuccessful attempts to quit over the years.01/2015 Was tapering using liquid Paxil. MD has prescribed 1 ml = 2mg taper every two weeks or once withdrawal symptoms at that dose subside. Reduced from 20 to 10 mg using this method and at 10 mg severe withdrawal set in. 1.5 months of pure hell. Found SA, learned what was happening, and reinstated to 20 mg. After a month of severe symptoms recovered with the reinstatement. Fish oil - Multi Vitamin - Pro-biotic, amino-acid/B Vitamin supplement every day. Magnesium as needed.08/09/15 - 18 mg - 09/08/15 - 16.4 mg - 10/10/15 - 15 mg - 01/02/16 - 13.6 mg 02/15/16 - 12.0 mg - Bad symptom flare up 40 days into drop - Dizziness, panic/anxiety, overheating (esp at night), low appetite, headache, insomnia with bizarre dreams, internal shaking. 04/16/16 - 11mg - 7/17/16 - 10 mg holding.....

• Mentor

Hello, and yes, I suffered horribly gooing off effexor, took about four months for the replacement drug

to work, finally off that one now........... taken about 4 years.............

I only have the seroquol to go, and gosh it never gets any easier...........  but if I can get up, and get dressed, I'm doing OK..............  I can see the light at the end of the tunnel, one day I will get there! :)

Welcome to the group.

1992 Dothiepin 375mg 8 weeks, exhaustion/depression.  Serotonin syndrome, oh yes!  seizures . Fell pregnant, 3rd baby, Nitrous Oxide, 3 weeks mental hospital pp psychosis. zoloft tegretol.

Feb 1996 ct tegretol, tapered Zoloft 8 weeks. as (unexpectedly)  pregnant. Steven died after 3 days.(Zolft HLHS baby).  98 had run in with Paxil, 2 tablets, 3 weeks taper, survived.
2005..menopause? exhausted again. Zyprexa, mad in three days, fallout....  Seroquel, Effexor, tegretol,   and 8 years of self destruction. Failed taper.
Damn 1/4 valium... nuts again! .fallout, zoloft 100mg  seroquol 400mg mirtazapine 45 mg  tegretol 400mg.  Mid 14 3 month taper. Nov 14 CRASH.
Mid 15 ....   75mg  seroquel,  3 x 1800mg SJW  2 week window end of December followed by 6 week wave
5/2 68mg seroquel, 2.5 x 1800mg SJW::::20/2 61mg seroquel, 2.5 x  SJW::: 26/2 54mg seroquel, 2 x SJW::::21/3 43mg seroquel, 1 x 2700SJW :::: 23/4 36mg seroquel 1 x 1800 SJW
15/5 33mg seroquel, 1 x SJW::::   28/5 30mg seroquel, 1 x SJW::::;  18/6 25mg seroquel 1/2 SJW::::, 11/7 21mg seroquel 1/2 SJW::, 26/7 18mg seroquel 1/2 SJW:::, 9/8 12mg seroquel :::, 16/8 6mg seroquel ;;;;, 12/9 0 jump.

23/9  3mg.....,  27/9 0mg.  Reinstated, 6mg, then 12mg.............  LIGHTBULB MOMENT,  I have  MTHFR 2x mutations.  CFS and issues with MOULD in my home. So I left home, and working 150km away during week, loving it.

Oh was hard, panic attacks first week, gone now, along with the mould issues.

I'm on about 2 mg of Paxil now. I'm just really going up and down. Mood is sooo low sometimes, then I feel totally fine other times. And anxiety and intrusive thoughts are off the charts!

• Administrator

Welcome, Putitoutthere.

Yes, you can have withdrawal from one drug even though you're taking another. What are your current symptoms?

Please put ALL the drugs you take in the Drug Interactions Checker http://www.drugs.com/drug_interactions.html and copy and paste the results in this topic.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• 1 month later...

Alrighty! So after 18 yrs on Paxil I am off! However, during my Paxil taper a doctor added cipralex, which I am still taking and have not touched the dose in 2 years. I'm about 7 weeks off the Paxil. I'm still having quite a low mood, anxiety and lots of intrusive negative thoughts which are awful. My question is, is any idea how long to level out after stopping Paxil even if on another med? The Paxil withdrawal was about 2 years. Im not touching th cipralex right now.

Thoughts?

Welcome 'putitoutthere'.Did you taper the paxil ?

Sertraline 100mg amytrip 60mg diazepam 4mg (and when needed) since late 90's.Reduced all meds over 6 wks (too short) last doses 13 wks ago.Still having withdrawals.I would have done it differently

5th august 2015 reinstated 5mg amytripiline.increased to 10mg amtrip 9th sept 2015.

Nice long taper.Wish I had done that.Did you taper the cipralex ?

Sertraline 100mg amytrip 60mg diazepam 4mg (and when needed) since late 90's.Reduced all meds over 6 wks (too short) last doses 13 wks ago.Still having withdrawals.I would have done it differently

5th august 2015 reinstated 5mg amytripiline.increased to 10mg amtrip 9th sept 2015.

Your having windows excellent.Thats a good sign.

Are they windows getiing bigger ? I have heard its different for everyone for how long the symptoms last.

There's no rhythm to it. I'd say the waves aren't as bad as a couple years ago, maybe I'm just used to them, but it feels pretty rough

It can go on a long time.I have been getting my head around this slowly.Its a hard thing to grasp hold of.

What are your triggers ?

By triggers I mean certain foods,too much sunlight, nicotine,caffiene,alcohol

Caffeine doesn't help, I don't smoke or drink often, too much sun gets annoying. Sometimes I feel like I just get too in my head when not busy and it starts a bad period.

• Administrator

Welcome, Putit.

Were you taking Cipralex while taking Paxil? How much Paxil were you taking when the Cipralex was added? What dosage of Cipralex was added? How long were you taking both Cipralex and Paxil? How much Cipralex are you taking now?

How did you taper off Paxil?

Unfortunately, one may have withdrawal syndrome from an antidepressant even though you're taking a second antidepressant. Antibiotics can make symptoms worse. You're probably already familiar with The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

Many people do better with fish oil and magnesium supplements, see
http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/36-king-of-supplements-omega-3-fatty-acids-fish-oil/
http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1300-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/

What are your symptoms now? Are you taking any other drugs? It can help if you track your symptom pattern on paper, relative to when you take your drugs.

To help us out, see these instructions Please put your drug and withdrawal history in your signature

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• 3 months later...

Quick question. To make a Looong story short, I was on Paxil for 18yrs, and weaned off over the last 2 years but ended up going on cipralex when I was down to around 15mg of Paxil. I've now been off Paxil for 6 months. I plan on starting to reduce cipralex soon. My question is about waves and windows. I feel pretty awful in the last month, but felt pretty good for like 3 months prior to this. Could I have waves and windows from Paxil withdrawal even though I am taking cipralex? Or am I just crazy?

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Put,

I found you had 3 intro threads, so I've merged them all so as to keep all your info in one spot. 

It would be very helpful if you filled in your signature so we can see your situation at a glance - thanks. 

Karen

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

Micro-tapering: four weekly 0.4% cuts, hold 4 weeks (struggling with symptoms).

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.
Supplements: Fish oil, vitamin C, iron, oat-straw tea, nettle tea.

2023 December - Now on 5 micro-beads Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops. Symptoms begin to increase.

2024 April - Updosed to 6 microbeads - immediate increase in symptoms for 4 days. Decreased to 5 microbeads.

'The possibility of renewal exists so long as life exists.'  Dr Gabor Mate.

Ok I will as soon as I have a regular computer. I only have my phone right now and can't see the "arrow beside your name on any page."