Kerrym: Can someone help me please

Kerrym

Hi everyone,my names kerry.Could you please help me .

I've been on Mirtazapine for 5 years,worked fine apart from a setback about 4 year ago from using a different brand. After that I stuck to the teva brand which works fine.The chemist always orders me a years supply in.I just finished the batch so he ordered me another yeas supply.

From the point of me using the new batch I noticed burning around my lips,then had a panic attack and then increasing anxiety and depression since.Feeling suicidal because I can't take anymore of feeling like this.

The thing is,I've got two kids to bring up and a full time job to keep which ive just got a sick like for.Im also taking my kids to America in 3 weeks and don't know how I'll manage it feeling like this.It cost me 4500 and I just can't let them dowm.

I seem to be having paradoxical reactions to diazapam too,my doctor doesn't believe me.

Can someone please help me,I feel awful.

• Moderator Emeritus

HI Kerrym,

Welcome to the forum.   Sorry to hear you are struggling.   Did you make any other changes to your drugs other than getting a new batch?   Have you raised this with your pharmacist?   Are they aware of any change in composition?

And is there anything else that has changed recently that could be contributing to your sensitivity?  Any other illness or medication?

Dalsaan

Please note - I am not a medical practitioner and I do not give medical advice. I offer an opinion based on my own experiences, reading and discussion with others.On Effexor for 2 months at the start of 2005. Had extreme insomnia as an adverse reaction. Changed to mirtazapine. Have been trying to get off since mid 2008 with numerous failures including CTs and slow (but not slow enough tapers)Have slow tapered at 10 per cent or less for years. I have liquid mirtazapine made at a compounding chemist.

Was on 1.6 ml as at 19 March 2014.

Dropped to 1.5 ml 7 June 2014. Dropped to 1.4 in about September.

Dropped to 1.3 on 20 December 2014. Dropped to 1.2 in mid Jan 2015.

Dropped to 1 ml in late Feb 2015. I think my old medication had run out of puff so I tried 1ml when I got the new stuff and it seems to be going ok. Sleep has been good over the last week (as of 13/3/15).

Dropped to 1/2 ml 14/11/15 Fatigue still there as are memory and cognition problems. Sleep is patchy but liveable compared to what it has been in the past.

DRUG FREE - as at 1st May 2017

>My intro post is here - http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2250-dalsaan

The chemist says nothing has changed except for the batch number.Nothing else has changed at all.

The doctor says my liver is inflamed and has went up 50% since I started taking it though.

I feel absolutely terrible.Clinging on by my finger nails.

The depression seems to come on about 3hours after my dose,maybe sleeping 2hours a night if that.Not eating.And I have to go back to work to support my family as I'm a single mum.

• Administrator

Welcome, Kerrym.

Did you have liver tests? Liver problems could make a big difference.

Have you had a course of antibiotics recently?

Please put ALL the drugs you take in the Drug Interactions Checker http://www.drugs.com/drug_interactions.html and copy and paste the results in this topic.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Moderator Emeritus

What dose are you taking? What does the Dr say about your situation?

Please note - I am not a medical practitioner and I do not give medical advice. I offer an opinion based on my own experiences, reading and discussion with others.On Effexor for 2 months at the start of 2005. Had extreme insomnia as an adverse reaction. Changed to mirtazapine. Have been trying to get off since mid 2008 with numerous failures including CTs and slow (but not slow enough tapers)Have slow tapered at 10 per cent or less for years. I have liquid mirtazapine made at a compounding chemist.

Dropped to 1 ml in late Feb 2015. I think my old medication had run out of puff so I tried 1ml when I got the new stuff and it seems to be going ok. Sleep has been good over the last week (as of 13/3/15).

Dropped to 1/2 ml 14/11/15 Fatigue still there as are memory and cognition problems. Sleep is patchy but liveable compared to what it has been in the past.

>My intro post is here - http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2250-dalsaan

• Moderator Emeritus

How long have you had the symptoms for? And have you had liver issues before now? Sorry for all the questions just trying to get a good picture

• Moderator Emeritus

You are fixable. Try not to ramp your stress levels up.

My concern would be that your liver isn't clearing out the drug as it has been and therefore you are getting a build up in your system. I definitely wouldn't be up dosing at this point, I'd be considering a drop in dose. Have you ever tried to come off or reduce your dose before?

Dalsaan

• Administrator

Kerry, what does this mean?

The doctor says my liver is inflamed and has went up 50% since I started taking it though.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

• Moderator Emeritus

Levels of what? Do you know specifically what he was referring to?

And when you say you have been experiencing withdrawals on it, what symptoms are you referring to?

I'm not sure what levels he was meaning,he said it was inflamed though.

The side effects I've been getting are from start to present-

-burning mouth

-panic attack

-brain zaps

-tingling of the mouth

-uncontrollable body shakes,one night only-almost seizure like

-bucket load of twitches all over my body

-insomnia

-loss of appetite

-severe anxiety

-adrenaline coursing through my upper body,accompanied by severe anxiety

-really bad dark depression

Waking up sweaty

• Moderator Emeritus

To me, this sounds like you have had significant side effects from Mirtazapine right from the start and that these adverse reactions are showing up in your liver.  If your liver function is less than optimal because of the mirtazapine, this can exacerbate your adverse reactions - a bit of a vicious circle with adverse effects causing liver issues which ramp up adverse effects etc.

If it was me, I would develop a plan to taper off.  Alto has more experience with this so I am going to ask her to jump back in.   

Did your Dr say your liver issues were linked to MIrtazapine?  or what explanation has he given for what you are experiencing? (It wouldn't be withdrawal if you haven't dropped your dose)

Dalsaan

• Moderator Emeritus

The side effects I've been getting are from start to present-

-burning mouth

-panic attack

-brain zaps

-tingling of the mouth

-uncontrollable body shakes,one night only-almost seizure like

-bucket load of twitches all over my body

-insomnia

-loss of appetite

-severe anxiety

-adrenaline coursing through my upper body,accompanied by severe anxiety

-really bad dark depression

Waking up sweaty

Have you been having these symptoms the whole 5 years you have been taking mirtazapine, or just since you started the new batch?

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

• Administrator

You need to get more detail about your liver. Ask your doctor for a copy of your test results. Get a detailed explanation of what they mean. Take notes.

If mirtazapine has damaged your liver, that could be causing your adverse effects. This is very important.

This is from US National Institutes of Health http://livertox.nih.gov/Mirtazapine.htm

Hepatotoxicity
Liver test abnormalities have been reported to occur in up to 10% of patients on mirtazapine, but elevations are usually modest and rarely require dose modification or discontinuation.  Rare instances of acute, clinically apparent episodes of liver injury with marked liver enzyme elevations with or without jaundice have been reported in patients on mirtazapine.  The onset of injury has varied greatly from several months to several years.  The pattern of serum enzyme elevations is usually hepatocellular, but mixed forms have also been described.  Autoimmune (autoantibodies) and immunoallergic features (rash, fever, eosinophilia) are uncommon.

Mechanism of Injury
The mechanism by which mirtazapine causes liver injury is not known.  Mirtazapine is extensively metabolized by the liver, mainly via the cytochrome P450 system, and hepatotoxicity may be mediated by toxic intermediates of its metabolism.  In some instances, serum enzyme elevations may be due to nonalcoholic steatohepatitis triggered by weight gain caused by mirtazapine therapy.

• Moderator Emeritus

You have to work around your feelings of hopelessness, they are most likely drug related and best ignored (I know its not as easy as that but the more energy you invest in how you feel the more life you give it).

Can you get copies of your test results to try and work through what is happening

Dalsaan

• 4 years later...

I know this is a site for going off drugs .. but can you stabilize on a totally different drug after a failed reinstatement of previous drug taken with a resulting adverse reaction?

Is it possible?

Feeling extremely hopeless and this is my last thing i can try as my family are sick of me.

Also,can you develop withdrawal as far out as 23 month's after stopping the drug?

Thanks for your time

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello Kerrym, 

I've moved your last post into your thread : this is where you can post updates and ask questions about your situation.

Take care ❤️

2006 : 20mg Paxil+Bromazepam. 2008 : cold turkey of both. 2010 : Reinstatement 20mg Paxil + Bromazepam.

2014-June2017 : Switch from Bromazepam to Prazepam, slow taper to 0mg.

2018 to August 2019 : Paxil 20mg taper (3% every 15 days). 22 Aug 2019 updose to 10mg (was at 8.4mg).

25th Sept 2019 To April 2020 : found SA, holding at 10mg Paxil. 

April 2020 : Paxil 10mg to Prozac 7mg bridge. Details topic/21457

Current Supplements : magnesium citrate + fish oil

Current medication :

* 7pm Diazepam  : 0.85mg (15 Aug 2022) / 0.95 mg (24 April 2022) / 1mg Diazepam (since 29 Aug 2020)

* 8am Prozac : 6.16mg (25 oct 2022, feel awful, slight updose) / 6.08 mg (9 oct 2022) / 6.24mg (11 July 22) / 6.44mg (22 May 22) / 6.64mg (4 Nov 21) / 6.72mg (8 oct 21) / 6.8 mg (15 Sept 21)6.88mg (14 Aug 21)/ 6.92mg (23 Jun 21)

I am not a professional, I don't give medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

• Administrator

Hello, Kerry. We can't answer a hypothetical question like that. We need all the details: What drug, dosage, what for. Did you have withdrawal symptoms? From what drug? How did you go off?

To help us out, follow these instructions Please put your drug and withdrawal history in your signature You may need to use a computer to do this.

Hello @Altostrata

Well i was on mirtazapine 15mg 27 months ago and i think i might have went into withdrawal 23 months ago.

Doesn't  really make sense,but thats what i think.

No,27 months ago i done a 3 month taper and didn't experience any withdrawal at all.15mg for 1 and a half months and then 7.5 for 1 and a half months.then off..

. then 4 months ago i woken up with a very stiff neck...week after that very bad anxiety which prompted a visit to my gp who placed me back on mirtazapine 15mg.

I stayed on that for 2 weeks but experienced fasculations worsening anxiety and burning sensations all over my body.Then i stopped cold turkey as my gp told me to.

Shoukd i have gave it more time do you think?

Thanks for your time helping.

5 hours ago, Kerrym said:

Hello @Altostrata

Well i was on mirtazapine 15mg 27 months ago and i think i might have went into withdrawal 23 months ago.

Doesn't  really make sense,but thats what i think.

No,27 months ago i done a 3 month taper and didn't experience any withdrawal at all.15mg for 1 and a half months and then 7.5 for 1 and a half months.then off..

. then 4 months ago i woken up with a very stiff neck...week after that very bad anxiety which prompted a visit to my gp who placed me back on mirtazapine 15mg.

I stayed on that for 2 weeks but experienced fasculations worsening anxiety and burning sensations all over my body.Then i stopped cold turkey as my gp told me to.

Shoukd i have gave it more time do you think?

Thanks for your time helping.

• Moderator Emeritus
14 hours ago, Altostrata said:

To help us out, follow these instructions Please put your drug and withdrawal history in your signature You may need to use a computer to do this.

Hello Kerrym, 

could you please fill your signature ? It would help the team !

51 minutes ago, Kerrym said:

Will i stabilize with another medication?

Nobody can say if you would stabilise with another medication.

Take care ❤️

2006 : 20mg Paxil+Bromazepam. 2008 : cold turkey of both. 2010 : Reinstatement 20mg Paxil + Bromazepam.

2014-June2017 : Switch from Bromazepam to Prazepam, slow taper to 0mg.

2018 to August 2019 : Paxil 20mg taper (3% every 15 days). 22 Aug 2019 updose to 10mg (was at 8.4mg).

25th Sept 2019 To April 2020 : found SA, holding at 10mg Paxil. 

April 2020 : Paxil 10mg to Prozac 7mg bridge. Details topic/21457

Current Supplements : magnesium citrate + fish oil

Current medication :

* 7pm Diazepam  : 0.85mg (15 Aug 2022) / 0.95 mg (24 April 2022) / 1mg Diazepam (since 29 Aug 2020)

* 8am Prozac : 6.16mg (25 oct 2022, feel awful, slight updose) / 6.08 mg (9 oct 2022) / 6.24mg (11 July 22) / 6.44mg (22 May 22) / 6.64mg (4 Nov 21) / 6.72mg (8 oct 21) / 6.8 mg (15 Sept 21)6.88mg (14 Aug 21)/ 6.92mg (23 Jun 21)

I am not a professional, I don't give medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

Hi @Altostrata

Is it possible though?

As my body was rejecting mirtazapine.

And instead of feelin better off it i steadily feel worse as the months go on.

Also,i have diagnosed myself as having had an adverse reaction to a failed reinstatement.Could i be wrong about this?

• Administrator

When was the last time you took mirtazapine?

We need to see your drug history, Please put your drug and withdrawal history in your signature

• Administrator

What are your current symptoms? Are they better or worse at any times of day? Are you taking any other drugs? How's your sleep?

I'm suffering with fasculations,burning sensations,high anxiety.

Come and go throughout the day.

I sleep for maybe 2 hours per night

• Administrator

What other drugs have you taken in the last few years? Did you change or add any other drugs at the same time you went off mirtazapine?

What do you mean by "fasculations"?

2 hours ago, Altostrata said:

We need to see your drug history, Please put your drug and withdrawal history in your signature