strongmama2015: Don't know what to do (Trazodone withdrawal?)

strongmama2015

I'm having such a hard time coping with the intrusive thoughts. I'm scared of becoming psychotic. My anxiety is so bad that it feels I am getting worse. I do think I have problems with standing on my own two feet, but if I can't really eat, drink, exists without being in so much anxiety and fear them I am scared where this will end. I know others here have been through the same and worse, I don't know why I feel this will break me.

Withdrawal History:

Ambien 10mg (abused it and would take more):started 2/14 discontinued 10/14

Zoloft 100 mg: discontinued 9/9/15

Clonazepam: Originially .5mg 3x/day starting 10/14, tapered down to .25mg as needed

Trazodone 50mg: started 10/14, stopped cold turkey 10/15/15

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• strongmama2015

• Fresh

• Martina23

• AliG

Top Posters In This Topic

These intrusive thoughts will diminish in time. I have the same problem, I know how it feels. The problem is, when you go to the hospital, you will get only more medication and the intrusive thoughts will not vanish, you will be only so much "calmed down" that you will not think so much about them but also on anything other. Because all your other feelings will be sedated too. Try to distract and give trust your brain that you will not do anything bad and sooner or later they will diminish and then go away.

05/2013 Lyrica 100 mg / per day for pain + PGAD resulting from caesarian delivery11/2014 started to taper: 50 mg per day/ for one week then c/tafter one month reinstated at 50 mg /per days of 10 July 2015 drug free-

symptoms OCD

Hi, everyone. I have been on 25 mg of Trazodone for three nights. I wake up feeling sometimes confused. My morning anxiety is still horrible. Paranoid intrusive bought a are still bad. I am getting by with .25 mg of Clonazepam when the anxiety gets so bad that I think I will have a mental break. I get break through cortisol before I take the Trazodone at night. Is this anxiety normal? I feel like I am on the verge of breaking and believing this stuff. I'm comiting daily.

Withdrawal History:

Clonazepam: Originially .5mg 3x/day starting 10/14, tapered down to .25mg as needed

*vomiting

Withdrawal History:

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Strongmama,

I just read through your thread, I'm sorry you are going through this. There are a couple of things which stand out to me, the first is that you seemed to improve from the Trazodone reinstatement, this was encouraging. But at the same time you increased your dosing of Clonazepam, then stopped taking it for a while then started again, taking it intermittently.

Ive taken Clonazepam sparingly every few days, but I find that it doens't really help to make me feel that better. I think it increases my anxiety and depression. I'm also left with that wired, boiling anxiety feeling in the bottom of my skull and down my spine into the top of my back.

I even got through a. Visit from my mom, however my anxiety shot through the roof after she left and I took my Clonazepam because I couldn't see how I could bring myself down on my own. It's almost 9am and I'm trying to get through the morning. Is taking .25mg of Clonazepam per day alright until I get through the reinstatement, right now I'm just taking .25mg every few days when the anxiety gets too overwhelming. Thanks. Hope you are all doing well as can be expected.

Just completed night 5 of Trazodone reinstatement. My cortisol rush is getting so much better. I'm not being woken up by anxiety anymore. My issue is the early morning anxiety that stretches out the rest of the day. I was getting by using .25mg of Clonazepam every few days. But now I take at least one dose during the day, at varying times, for the last 2 or 3 days..... When I take the Clonazepam, I get this hot feeling in my chest and in my head. It gradually goes away. I noticed .25mg doesn't do what it used to for my anxiety. I was so desperate about facing the day last night. Instead of waiting until I couldn't take it anymore, I took the Clonazepam when I first got up to head off the anxiety. My anxiety was so bad I could not fall back asleep properly. I drifted in and out of sleep from about 7:30-9:50am.

I had hoped a moderator would have answered by now. What I've noticed is that my anxiety starts to rise and peak from about 6am to 11am, even out somewhat, and spike again around 5pm. I'm in a very bad wave of anxiety right now. It used to ease up the closer I got to bed, but yesterday and today it's been following this pattern. Any thoughts? I'm still on 6.25mg of Trazodone at bedtime. I haven't taken the Clonazepam since Saturday.

When you are making changes with more than one drug at the same time, its impossible to know what drug is causing which effect.

But my guess is that you are now having paradoxical reactions to the Clonazepam, its not helping with your anxiety, possibly making it worse and you may be getting interdose withdrawal. My suggestion would be to stop using it and give your nervous system a chance to stabilize on the Trazodone reinstatement.

Use non drug techniques to manage the anxiety while you are waiting to stabilize:  Non-drug techniques to cope with emotional symptoms

During this short time you also increased your Trazodone dose, although I'm not sure exactly how, but you have ended up on 25mg after starting at 6.25? Stop making changes, stop jumping around in dose. It takes 4 days for your system to recognize the change and then several weeks to stabilize at that new dose.

Here are some topics to read through which will help you understand what is required in order to give this reinstatement the best chance of working:

The rule of 3KIS: Keep it simple. Keep it slow. Keep it stable.

About reinstating and stabilizing to stop withdrawal symptoms

I'm quite confident that things will start to settle down if you try this approach, it may take a while, but if you are able to be patient a bit longer, it will get better.

Petunia.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

Thank you, Petunia. I thought I was taking 6.25mg, but it was actually 12.5mg. Then I went up to 25mg. What has me so distressed, is that one of my main symptoms is intrusive, paranoid thoughts. One that is so bad is what if my husband is a serial killer. I know it is ridiculous, but it has been so hard to ignore. I have begun to develop somewhat of a small phobia to my husband. Getting up and taking care of the kids is also really tough. I barely eat and drink and I have vomited everyday for almost 4 days. I know these thoughts are irrational, but they seem to be taking over. That's why I use the Clonazepam because I feel like I am on the verge of a true mental break. I am so weak from not eating I am starting to have trouble moving around. This doesn't seem normal to me. I am scared there is something else wrong mentally with me.

Withdrawal History:

Has anyone tried NLP for dealing with fear of withdrawal symptoms?

Withdrawal History:

• Moderator Emeritus

Here are some topics which discuss intrusive thoughts in withdrawal, with some ideas about how to manage them:

Intrusive thoughts and increased panic? - Symptoms and ...

OCD: obsessive thoughts, compulsive behaviors - Surviving ...

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Strongmama, how are you?

Have you gone to hospital?  I know you were very scared.  

Clonazepam can, as Petunia said, cause problems when you take it on again, off again.  It can cause the intrusive thoughts you were having - it can take intrusive thoughts and make them 10x worse - and then - you think you're losing it, going mad.

When it's just the chemical.

I hope you've found a path through this difficult time, and hope we can be of assistance to you.  When you return, please let us know what has happened, what your current doses are (signature update please?) - and hopefully you will achieve stability soon.

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!