Junglechicken

17 hours ago, readyfortheworld said:

Hi @Junglechicken,

I saw on your earlier posts that you were dealing with GERD and throat issues related to it. What did you do to relieve it or even get rid of it? Was it withdrawal related and just went away with time? I've been dealing with GERD/ silent reflux for about a month and it has been awful. Eating is a struggle and I'm losing a lot of weight, even though I don't weight that much to begin with. Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Hi Ready,

When I spoke to my physician, she said GERD can affect anyone.  

However, my GERD/reflux issues started after I started AD meds.  I never had experienced any gut issues until my very late 30s - i.e when I started taking ADs.

The main remedies are to:

Eat as alkaline a diet as possible (low fat, carbs, sugar etc., and plenty of greens).  Think smoothies for breakfast and dinner.

Eat very small meals in the evening to reduce strain on the digestive system.

Raise the head end of your bed by 6 ins.  Stops acid splashing back up into the esophagus.

There are special supplements you can get online where you just add water, and over time, your gut becomes a more alkaline environment again.  They really work as I have been on them for several weeks more than once.

No harm taking friendly bacteria to improve gut health either.

Avoid acid blockers if possible as these have to be tapered as well.

Hope that helps and that you find relief soon.

JC

Dose History: 19 Feb 2014 - Escitalopram 10mg daily June 2015 - Started taper, 5mg every other day July 2015 - 5mg every 2 days August 2015 - 5mg every 3 days September 2015 - 5mg every 4 days Sept 14th - Completed tapering, but at 7 weeks "drug free" I suffered serious WD symptoms as a consequence of "incorrect" tapering. Nov 25 2015 - Re-instated Cipralex @ 2.5mg daily. WD symptoms faded. Held at this dose and experienced "windows and waves". 12 Oct 2017 Reduced dose to 1.25mg. 13 Mar 2018 Reduced dose to 0.625mg (approx.). 16 April 2018 0mg. Windows and waves triggered by stress (IBS/reflux, headaches, sinus issues) Aug 2019 Mirena coil fitted 6 Jan 2020 MAJOR Wave hit 19 months following last dose (protracted WD).  Symptoms listed below Mar 2020 Mirena coil removal.

Therapy: Nov 15th 2016 Re-started therapy Jan 19th 2017 Started CBT Dec 2017 Started listening to Hypnotherapy CD (self-esteem). Nov 2019 Started couples therapy.

Supplements: "Bioglan" Biotic Balance Ultimate Flora 10 billion CFU, live Bacteria, Probiotic, suitable for Vegetarians, with Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Lactobacillus Rhamnosus, Bifidobacterium Longum"Pukka" Vitalise a unique blend of 30 energising botanicals.

Diet: 16 April 2018 Detox cleanse / anti-candida for 90 days. Jan 2020 Started "small plate" diet (i.e child size portions).

Exercise: Stretching, Yoga, Pilates, Spinning, Elliptical/upper body workout, walking.

Medical Test Results: 4 Jan 2017 Homeopathic Treatment starts 24 Feb 2017 Started weight loss program 24 Mar 2017 Naturopathic Treatment + anti-Candida diet started due to suspected Candida Related Complex (CRC). DETOXED for 7 weeks to "re-set" gut. April 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Comprehensive Stool Analysis NEGATIVE; Full Blood Count (Normal) / Blood Cholesterol: 5.6 (Borderline) / Blood Sugar (Normal) / 28 Jun 2017 FSH 8.2 / 14 Nov 2017 FSH 17.7 Dec 2017 Blood Cholesterol: 3.9 (Normal) / Kidney Function (Normal) / Blood Sugar (Normal). December 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Food panel allergy (bloodwork) analysis - a few "VERY LOW/VL" allergens; Mar 2018 "Genova Diagnostics" SIBO urine analysis: High Level of Yeast/fungal markers found in small intestine but NO SIBO.  April 2018 Thyroid (Normal) / Full Blood Count (Normal) / FSH (Normal). 16 April 2018 Started anti-Candida diet - 3 month protocol.   25 March 2020 All test results "Normal". CRP" 5 mg/L (normal range to 0-5 mg/L).

Symptoms:  Flu-like symptoms, anxiety, anhedonia, sinus headaches right-side (severe), IBS issues/reflux (severe)**, tinnitus, fatigue, inner tremor, nausea, chills/hot flushes, pounding heart, muscular issues including stiff left hip flexor, intense anger, PSSD (ongoing).  **Histhamine intolerance (suspected).

Major Life Events: 

Re-located to UK from Canada: Jan 2016

My father died: 5:05pm, Monday 5 Feb 2018 Last Lexapro dose: 16 April 2018 (its now been over a year since I quit ADs)  Moved house: Friday 23rd February 2018  "Divorced" toxic Mother: Monday 26 March 2018 Starting working again: 19 November 2018  Diagnosed with: 5th August 2021 PTSD/C-PTSD Diagnosed with: March 2022 Interstitial Cystitis (IC)/Painful bladder syndrome

3 hours ago, Junglechicken said:

Hi Ready,

When I spoke to my physician, she said GERD can affect anyone.  

However, my GERD/reflux issues started after I started AD meds.  I never had experienced any gut issues until my very late 30s - i.e when I started taking ADs.

The main remedies are to:

Eat as alkaline a diet as possible (low fat, carbs, sugar etc., and plenty of greens).  Think smoothies for breakfast and dinner.

Eat very small meals in the evening to reduce strain on the digestive system.

Raise the head end of your bed by 6 ins.  Stops acid splashing back up into the esophagus.

There are special supplements you can get online where you just add water, and over time, your gut becomes a more alkaline environment again.  They really work as I have been on them for several weeks more than once.

No harm taking friendly bacteria to improve gut health either.

Avoid acid blockers if possible as these have to be tapered as well.

Hope that helps and that you find relief soon.

JC

My GERD symptoms also occurred after I was on ADs. First I started with IBS-like symptoms and it later turned into GERD symptoms. 

I actually started a following an alkaline diet after I researched how to get rid of GERD. I haven’t felt much of a difference and it’s been about 3 weeks since I implemented the diet. I wonder if it’ll take awhile before I start feeling better? 

What did you do to raise the head of your bed? I haven’t tried that yet but I’ll try it.

What supplements do you recommend taking?

Last questions; when you went to the doctor to get make sure the GERD wasn’t serious, did they find anything out of the ordinary? Also, do you think the GERD just went away on its own, as it was more than likely just a withdrawal symptom? It feels awful and worries me that it won’t go away. 

Thank you for all your advice, I’ll start following it today. 

Adepsique: January 2016 - July 2016 (took half a pill in the mornings for 6 months) the dosage was 5 mg of amitriptyline, 1.5 mg of diazepam, and 1 mg of perphenazine 

Escitalopram: 10 mg: July 2016 - April 2018

Olanzapine 2.5mg: July 2016 - October 2017

My GERD symptoms also occurred after I was on ADs. First I started with IBS-like symptoms and it later turned into GERD symptoms. 

I actually started a following an alkaline diet after I researched how to get rid of GERD. I haven’t felt much of a difference and it’s been about 3 weeks since I implemented the diet. I wonder if it’ll take awhile before I start feeling better? 

What did you do to raise the head of your bed? I haven’t tried that yet but I’ll try it.

What supplements do you recommend taking?

Last questions; when you went to the doctor to get make sure the GERD wasn’t serious, did they find anything out of the ordinary? Also, do you think the GERD just went away on its own, as it was more than likely just a withdrawal symptom? It feels awful and worries me that it won’t go away. 

Thank you for all your advice, I’ll start following it today. 

You can raise your bed (head end) by putting a brick under each foot of the bed or phone directories, or blocks of wood.

Yes, it can take a while for the gut environment to change.  However, when it comes to WD symptoms, you can have the perfect diet, and STILL suffer from gut issues.  It's all down to seratonin imbalances, so I think carry on with the alkaline diet anyway as it won't harm.  At some point, your GERD episode will just disappear.

My doctor wasn't that interested TBH, as so many people have gut issues.  My GERD/IBS comes in episodes and is usually triggered by something going on in my life that's stressful.  I had physical examination at the time (they felt my tummy for any abnormalities) - nothing.  This was an episode that went on for a few weeks.  The doctor will ask about bowel movements etc., 9.5/10 it's IBS which is a blanket term for a whole host of gut issues.

Also, IBS is a known comormid illness with anxiety and depression.  

I think in my case, this current episode is due to WD, as I have been experiencing other symptoms too, which seemed to have popped up out of nowhere, and which have been unpleasant.  WD symptoms have always been unpleasant.

Are you US or UK based? I would talk to a naturopath about the right supplements for you, as everyone is different.

Dose History: 19 Feb 2014 - Escitalopram 10mg daily June 2015 - Started taper, 5mg every other day July 2015 - 5mg every 2 days August 2015 - 5mg every 3 days September 2015 - 5mg every 4 days Sept 14th - Completed tapering, but at 7 weeks "drug free" I suffered serious WD symptoms as a consequence of "incorrect" tapering. Nov 25 2015 - Re-instated Cipralex @ 2.5mg daily. WD symptoms faded. Held at this dose and experienced "windows and waves". 12 Oct 2017 Reduced dose to 1.25mg. 13 Mar 2018 Reduced dose to 0.625mg (approx.). 16 April 2018 0mg. Windows and waves triggered by stress (IBS/reflux, headaches, sinus issues) Aug 2019 Mirena coil fitted 6 Jan 2020 MAJOR Wave hit 19 months following last dose (protracted WD).  Symptoms listed below Mar 2020 Mirena coil removal.

Therapy: Nov 15th 2016 Re-started therapy Jan 19th 2017 Started CBT Dec 2017 Started listening to Hypnotherapy CD (self-esteem). Nov 2019 Started couples therapy.

Supplements: "Bioglan" Biotic Balance Ultimate Flora 10 billion CFU, live Bacteria, Probiotic, suitable for Vegetarians, with Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Lactobacillus Rhamnosus, Bifidobacterium Longum"Pukka" Vitalise a unique blend of 30 energising botanicals.

Diet: 16 April 2018 Detox cleanse / anti-candida for 90 days. Jan 2020 Started "small plate" diet (i.e child size portions).

Exercise: Stretching, Yoga, Pilates, Spinning, Elliptical/upper body workout, walking.

Medical Test Results: 4 Jan 2017 Homeopathic Treatment starts 24 Feb 2017 Started weight loss program 24 Mar 2017 Naturopathic Treatment + anti-Candida diet started due to suspected Candida Related Complex (CRC). DETOXED for 7 weeks to "re-set" gut. April 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Comprehensive Stool Analysis NEGATIVE; Full Blood Count (Normal) / Blood Cholesterol: 5.6 (Borderline) / Blood Sugar (Normal) / 28 Jun 2017 FSH 8.2 / 14 Nov 2017 FSH 17.7 Dec 2017 Blood Cholesterol: 3.9 (Normal) / Kidney Function (Normal) / Blood Sugar (Normal). December 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Food panel allergy (bloodwork) analysis - a few "VERY LOW/VL" allergens; Mar 2018 "Genova Diagnostics" SIBO urine analysis: High Level of Yeast/fungal markers found in small intestine but NO SIBO.  April 2018 Thyroid (Normal) / Full Blood Count (Normal) / FSH (Normal). 16 April 2018 Started anti-Candida diet - 3 month protocol.   25 March 2020 All test results "Normal". CRP" 5 mg/L (normal range to 0-5 mg/L).

Symptoms:  Flu-like symptoms, anxiety, anhedonia, sinus headaches right-side (severe), IBS issues/reflux (severe)**, tinnitus, fatigue, inner tremor, nausea, chills/hot flushes, pounding heart, muscular issues including stiff left hip flexor, intense anger, PSSD (ongoing).  **Histhamine intolerance (suspected).

Major Life Events: 

My father died: 5:05pm, Monday 5 Feb 2018 Last Lexapro dose: 16 April 2018 (its now been over a year since I quit ADs)  Moved house: Friday 23rd February 2018  "Divorced" toxic Mother: Monday 26 March 2018 Starting working again: 19 November 2018  Diagnosed with: 5th August 2021 PTSD/C-PTSD Diagnosed with: March 2022 Interstitial Cystitis (IC)/Painful bladder syndrome

3 hours ago, Junglechicken said:

You can raise your bed (head end) by putting a brick under each foot of the bed or phone directories, or blocks of wood.

Yes, it can take a while for the gut environment to change.  However, when it comes to WD symptoms, you can have the perfect diet, and STILL suffer from gut issues.  It's all down to seratonin imbalances, so I think carry on with the alkaline diet anyway as it won't harm.  At some point, your GERD episode will just disappear.

My doctor wasn't that interested TBH, as so many people have gut issues.  My GERD/IBS comes in episodes and is usually triggered by something going on in my life that's stressful.  I had physical examination at the time (they felt my tummy for any abnormalities) - nothing.  This was an episode that went on for a few weeks.  The doctor will ask about bowel movements etc., 9.5/10 it's IBS which is a blanket term for a whole host of gut issues.

I think in my case, this current episode is due to WD, as I have been experiencing other symptoms too, which seemed to have popped up out of nowhere, and which have been unpleasant.  WD symptoms have always been unpleasant.

Are you US or UK based? I would talk to a naturopath about the right supplements for you, as everyone is different.

P.S I think this IBS episode was triggered by what the nurse said at my PAP Test (smear) last Friday.

I immediately felt anxious, as she pointed out that my cervix "looked dry like chapped lips, and bled on contact with the cotton swab stick".

She suggested I talk to my GP about it.

I'm seeing my GP on the 18th and hope this is normal given I had the Morena coil fitted beginning of August 2019.

Major Life Events: 

4 hours ago, Junglechicken said:

So I should I just chalk it up as withdrawal and not worry about it? The symptoms I’ve been dealing with have been pretty bad. I feel like I have to constantly clear my throat, lump in throat sensation, a lot of burping and trouble swallowing certain foods. I’m unable to eat foods that I used to eat when I wasn’t in withdrawal. It might be dysphagia and I’m not sure if that is related to GERD or if it’s own withdrawal symptom. What symptoms related to GERD do/did you feel? 

Being anxious definitely makes my GERD/ IBS symptoms feel worse. It’s tough because I’ve been dealing with withdrawal anxiety as well, so that doesn’t help. 

I’m based in the US but don’t have medical insurance. I bought slippery elm a couple of days ago as I saw many people recommend it for GERD and digestive issues. I also started taking probiotics last week again 

Adepsique: January 2016 - July 2016 (took half a pill in the mornings for 6 months) the dosage was 5 mg of amitriptyline, 1.5 mg of diazepam, and 1 mg of perphenazine 

So I should I just chalk it up as withdrawal and not worry about it? The symptoms I’ve been dealing with have been pretty bad. I feel like I have to constantly clear my throat, lump in throat sensation, a lot of burping and trouble swallowing certain foods. I’m unable to eat foods that I used to eat when I wasn’t in withdrawal. It might be dysphagia and I’m not sure if that is related to GERD or if it’s own withdrawal symptom. What symptoms related to GERD do/did you feel? 

Being anxious definitely makes my GERD/ IBS symptoms feel worse. It’s tough because I’ve been dealing with withdrawal anxiety as well, so that doesn’t help. 

I’m based in the US but don’t have medical insurance. I bought slippery elm a couple of days ago as I saw many people recommend it for GERD and digestive issues. I also started taking probiotics last week again 

Hi Ready,

Slippery Elm is a supplement I have used in the past and was very effective.  I will likely get it again, as it soothes the gut, which is much needed when the gut "biome" is out of whack.

I have had the dysphagia (unable to swallow/lump in throat sensation) and its really unpleasant.  My GP prescribed PPI meds, which, after I found out are also bad for the gut, I stopped taking them.  I learned later that I should have tapered them.

In fact I have had most gut-related symptoms out there in the IBS department.  

I have spent £££s on supplements in the past, including probiotics, anti-candida diets, detox diets, you name it.

Obviously, I'm not a medical professional, but given your AD history (you took Lexapro like I did), and as you don't have medical insurance; the cheapest action you can take is continue to baby your gut as much as possible.  Stay on an alkaline diet, take the slippery elm, reduce stress as much as possible.  Try to do gentle exercise (stretching etc.,) to release tension in the body as this will positively impact the gut.

What led you to be prescribed Olanzapine?

JC

Major Life Events: 

7 hours ago, Junglechicken said:

Hi Ready,

Slippery Elm is a supplement I have used in the past and was very effective.  I will likely get it again, as it soothes the gut, which is much needed when the gut "biome" is out of whack.

I have had the dysphagia (unable to swallow/lump in throat sensation) and its really unpleasant.  My GP prescribed PPI meds, which, after I found out are also bad for the gut, I stopped taking them.  I learned later that I should have tapered them.

In fact I have had most gut-related symptoms out there in the IBS department.  

I have spent £££s on supplements in the past, including probiotics, anti-candida diets, detox diets, you name it.

Obviously, I'm not a medical professional, but given your AD history (you took Lexapro like I did), and as you don't have medical insurance; the cheapest action you can take is continue to baby your gut as much as possible.  Stay on an alkaline diet, take the slippery elm, reduce stress as much as possible.  Try to do gentle exercise (stretching etc.,) to release tension in the body as this will positively impact the gut.

What led you to be prescribed Olanzapine?

JC

Yeah, it seems like the Slippery Elm is working slowly but surely. I’ve only been taking it for a couple of days so I’ll have to wait and see if it calms down my GERD symptoms even further.

When you were dealing dysphagia, did it feel like food was getting stuck in your throat and sometimes you would choke on certain foods? Did you avoid eating certain foods because of it? Dysphagia definitely is an awful sensation and wouldn’t wish it on anyone. I weighed myself this morning and I’ve lost 18 pounds because of it.

I’ll definitely take it easy with my stomach and try to relax as much as possible. I weight train 4 times a day and walk mostly the days I don’t train. I also meditate almost daily. I saw on your medication history that you would like to start running again. Did the GERD/gut issues cause you to stop running or was it because of withdrawal in general? I used to run also but the GERD issues were causing me problems when I ran and I would also feel like I couldn’t swallow my saliva. I felt like I was going to choke and would sometimes dry heave.

The psychiatrist I was seeing at the time prescribed me Olanzapine because I told her I was dealing with insomnia. She said to take it at night so it could help me sleep

Gut issues haven't subsided. My entire digestive tract isnt happy - not good.

Not suffering from constipation or diahrreah, just gas, heartburn, reflux and pain.

Too much indulgence over the holidays? This started the night before my hubby went back to work.  Timeliness due to WD (taking into account other symptoms)?

I'm going to have to do a food elimination program to see what is upsetting my gut and then re-introduce.

I'm also going to get the coil removed, as my digestion has changed (slowed right down) since it was put in beginning of August last year.  Nearly 6 months now.  I bloat very easily ☹️

Seeing my GP on the 18th to discuss.

Major Life Events: 

21 hours ago, readyfortheworld said:

Yeah, it seems like the Slippery Elm is working slowly but surely. I’ve only been taking it for a couple of days so I’ll have to wait and see if it calms down my GERD symptoms even further.

When you were dealing dysphagia, did it feel like food was getting stuck in your throat and sometimes you would choke on certain foods? Did you avoid eating certain foods because of it? Dysphagia definitely is an awful sensation and wouldn’t wish it on anyone. I weighed myself this morning and I’ve lost 18 pounds because of it.

I’ll definitely take it easy with my stomach and try to relax as much as possible. I weight train 4 times a day and walk mostly the days I don’t train. I also meditate almost daily. I saw on your medication history that you would like to start running again. Did the GERD/gut issues cause you to stop running or was it because of withdrawal in general? I used to run also but the GERD issues were causing me problems when I ran and I would also feel like I couldn’t swallow my saliva. I felt like I was going to choke and would sometimes dry heave.

The psychiatrist I was seeing at the time prescribed me Olanzapine because I told her I was dealing with insomnia. She said to take it at night so it could help me sleep

Hi Ready,

I managed to get 4 packs of supplements at a total bargain price, and they contain slippery elm, so we'll what happens.

I'm going to have to radically overhaul  my diet, as my gut is in a state of hiatus for the second week running.

Yes, I had difficulty eating with the dysphagia.  My throat felt narrower and tight.  At the end of the day, it's inflamed (swollen) and needs protecting from further acid damage coming from the stomach.

I think the thing is to avoid rich food (cause reflux), food that is difficult to swallow, and just have soothing food like smoothies, oatmeal, yoghurt, soups....that kind of thing?  It would also be worth finding what food(s) would coat the throat in a protective layer to allow healing to take place.

This is the self-care approach.

It wasn't the GERD that put a stop to my running, but the effect WD had on my muscles and joints.  I walked for miles and miles instead though.  I'd walk for maybe 2-3 hrs or more, and couldn't eat due to anxiety.  This was after we returned to the UK from having lived in Canada and I had developed full-blown akathesia.

My weight dropped 1Ib/day - that's VERY rapid weight loss.  I was terrified of being in my own skin and was suicidal at the time.  I couldn't even shower.  It was at this time I developed GERD, as well.  My bad cholesterol shot up as I thought I was dying due to the weight loss, and I started eating junk food instead to put  weight back on.  It worked, lol!

Olanzapine is a very hard hitting drug to combat insomnia, I would have thought.  Does it actually work, or does it turn you into a zombie?

Have you tried essential oils, herbal teas and soothing baths before bed to promote sleep?

Wishing you healing Ready.

JC

Major Life Events: 

4 hours ago, Junglechicken said:

Hi Ready,

I managed to get 4 packs of supplements at a total bargain price, and they contain slippery elm, so we'll what happens.

I'm going to have to radically overhaul  my diet, as my gut is in a state of hiatus for the second week running.

Yes, I had difficulty eating with the dysphagia.  My throat felt narrower and tight.  At the end of the day, it's inflamed (swollen) and needs protecting from further acid damage coming from the stomach.

I think the thing is to avoid rich food (cause reflux), food that is difficult to swallow, and just have soothing food like smoothies, oatmeal, yoghurt, soups....that kind of thing?  It would also be worth finding what food(s) would coat the throat in a protective layer to allow healing to take place.

This is the self-care approach.

It wasn't the GERD that put a stop to my running, but the effect WD had on my muscles and joints.  I walked for miles and miles instead though.  I'd walk for maybe 2-3 hrs or more, and couldn't eat due to anxiety.  This was after we returned to the UK from having lived in Canada and I had developed full-blown akathesia.

My weight dropped 1Ib/day - that's VERY rapid weight loss.  I was terrified of being in my own skin and was suicidal at the time.  I couldn't even shower.  It was at this time I developed GERD, as well.  My bad cholesterol shot up as I thought I was dying due to the weight loss, and I started eating junk food instead to put  weight back on.  It worked, lol!

Olanzapine is a very hard hitting drug to combat insomnia, I would have thought.  Does it actually work, or does it turn you into a zombie?

Have you tried essential oils, herbal teas and soothing baths before bed to promote sleep?

Wishing you healing Ready.

JC

I’m sorry to hear that you’re having gut issues again. It feels awful but it’ll get better soon. What symptoms are you dealing with your gut issues?

I don’t like forward to eating as much as I used to. It’s more of a chore for me now. Even smoothies are tough for me sometimes. I feel like I’m getting full quickly even though I haven’t eaten anything previously. My throat seems really sensitive and I can feel food getting stuck in my throat and irritating it.

It baffles me how it’s going to be 2 years in April since I stopped taking any meds and I’m still dealing with withdrawal. 

That was a really rapid weight loss. I would probably lose more weight if I didn’t force me to eat more. Sometimes I’m not successful and end up vomiting it up. Not being able to eat does affect you mentally and starts taking a toll on you. Are you eating more these days? Does GERD affect you today as much as it used to? 

I actually don’t take Olanzapine anymore and stopped taking it back in 2017. I’ve been completely med free since April 2018

Hope you start feeling better soon as well 

10 hours ago, readyfortheworld said:

I’m sorry to hear that you’re having gut issues again. It feels awful but it’ll get better soon. What symptoms are you dealing with your gut issues?

I don’t like forward to eating as much as I used to. It’s more of a chore for me now. Even smoothies are tough for me sometimes. I feel like I’m getting full quickly even though I haven’t eaten anything previously. My throat seems really sensitive and I can feel food getting stuck in my throat and irritating it.

It baffles me how it’s going to be 2 years in April since I stopped taking any meds and I’m still dealing with withdrawal. 

That was a really rapid weight loss. I would probably lose more weight if I didn’t force me to eat more. Sometimes I’m not successful and end up vomiting it up. Not being able to eat does affect you mentally and starts taking a toll on you. Are you eating more these days? Does GERD affect you today as much as it used to? 

I actually don’t take Olanzapine anymore and stopped taking it back in 2017. I’ve been completely med free since April 2018

Hope you start feeling better soon as well 

Ready,

I'm 18 months out from my final Lexapro dose, and am certain these are WD symptoms, as I don't only have IBS but also several other things going on at the same time.

There has been a pattern of stress triggering IBS since I quit ADs (April 2018).

I get full quickly too, and as for GERD, certain foods trigger it (mainly fatty).  I can't tolerate them anymore.  For example, I can no longer eat fish & chips as it takes me a week to digest it and I feel nauseous the whole time.

Current gut symptoms include: gas, bloating, cramps, reflux, pain, a few bowel movements each day but not diahrreah.

Major Life Events: 

2 hours ago, Junglechicken said:

Ready,

I'm 18 months out from my final Lexapro dose, and am certain these are WD symptoms, as I don't only have IBS but also several other things going on at the same time.

There has been a pattern of stress triggering IBS since I quit ADs (April 2018).

I get full quickly too, and as for GERD, certain foods trigger it (mainly fatty).  I can't tolerate them anymore.  For example, I can no longer eat fish & chips as it takes me a week to digest it and I feel nauseous the whole time.

Current gut symptoms include: gas, bloating, cramps, reflux, pain, a few bowel movements each day but not diahrreah.

P.S Have you tried drinking Aloe juice, herbal teas (peppermint), ACV (Apple cider vinegar)?  These all soothe the gut.

Major Life Events: 

15 hours ago, Junglechicken said:

Ready,

I know exactly how you feel. I have several other symptoms I’m dealing with as well, that also started after I got off all meds. It sucks telling others you trust that you’re still in withdrawal and them saying, “there’s no way you’re still in withdrawal”. I’ve unable to work this whole time and now most of my family is starting to label me as a deadbeat, even though I have a bachelors degree in accounting and still relatively young. I do have goals but I’ve had to put them on hold temporarily.

I never knew how many symptoms GERD could cause, I mostly associated as heartburn. It’s possible that foods like fish and chips doesn’t agree with your stomach currently but I’m sure you’ll be able to consume them again when you’re all healed. I have to eat foods that are soup-like (beans and lentils mostly) and foods that are easier to dissolve. I used to eat rice a lot but after several times of me choking on it, I stopped eating it. We might have to change our diet temporarily while our bodies’ heal. 

I had most of those gut issues as well. The gassiness and constant bowel movements were the most uncomfortable. The abdominal pain was also pretty awful. That went away for the most part but it does flare up sometimes. It’s not as bad as it was when I initially started to deal with it though. I’m sure your gut will heal again in no time! 

12 hours ago, Junglechicken said:

P.S Have you tried drinking Aloe juice, herbal teas (peppermint), ACV (Apple cider vinegar)?  These all soothe the gut.

I haven’t aloe juice but I sure probably look into it. I drink chamomile teas almost daily, as I’ve heard that it can help relax your body and stomach. I have apple cider vinegar supplements but don’t take them. I’not sure if this is true or not but I’ve heard that it can increase stomach acid? Did it help you? I also was drinking water with baking soda but I read that it can create rebound acid so I’ve stopped. 

I'm in agony, my right calf muscle is spasming after yoga, have taken ibuprofen 😭

Major Life Events: 

I'm in agony, my right calf muscle is spasming after yoga, have taken ibuprofen 😭

Have taken codeine as well.

Pain has subsided (for now).

Our neighbour kindly came over and sorted me out with cushions etc., and hubby is babysitting this afternoon/working from home.

Likely a muscle tear ☹️

Major Life Events: 

On a good note, my gut has been better the last couple of days 👍👍👍

Major Life Events: 

16 minutes ago, Junglechicken said:

On a good note, my gut has been better the last couple of days 👍👍👍

Glad to hear it JC! Sorry about your calf. Hopefully it’s just a cramp and will heal quickly 😊

Take care,

Frogie xx

PREVIOUS medications and discontinuations: Have been on medications since 1996. 

Valium, Gabapentin, Lamictal, Prilosec and Zantac from 2000 to 2015 with a fast taper by a psychiatrist.

Liquid Lexapro Nov, 2016 to 31-March, 2019 Lexapro free!!! (total Lexapro taper was 4 years-started with pill form)

---CURRENT MEDICATIONS:Supplements:Milk Thistle, Metamucil, Magnesium Citrate, Vitamin D3, Levothyroxine 25mcg, Vitamin C, Krill oil.

Xanax 1mg 3x day June, 2000 to 19-September, 2020 Went from .150 grams (average weight of 1 Xanax) 3x day to .003 grams 3x day. April 1, 2021 went back on 1mg a day. Started tapering May 19, 2023. July 28, 2023-approximately .87mg. Dr. fast tapered me at the end and realized he messed up. Prescribe it again and I am doing "slower than a turtle" taper.

19-September, 2020 Xanax free!!! (total Xanax taper was 15-1/2 months-1-June, 2019-19-September, 2020)

I am not a medical professional.

The suggestions I make are based on personal experience.

5 minutes ago, Frogie said:

Glad to hear it JC! Sorry about your calf. Hopefully it’s just a cramp and will heal quickly 😊

Take care,

Frogie xx

Thanks Frogie,

It felt more like a torn muscle as pain was like red hot pokers inside the calf.  Excruciating!  Cramps are nothing like this ☹️

Thanks to codeine and ibuprofen!

Hey ho, the irony that it was a yoga class that caused the final tear.

Other WD symptoms have also subsided (for now), don't want to count my chickens, lol 😊👍👍

TC JC

Xxx

Major Life Events: 

29 minutes ago, Junglechicken said:

Thanks Frogie,

It felt more like a torn muscle as pain was like red hot pokers inside the calf.  Excruciating!  Cramps are nothing like this ☹️

Thanks to codeine and ibuprofen!

Hey ho, the irony that it was a yoga class that caused the final tear.

Other WD symptoms have also subsided (for now), don't want to count my chickens, lol 😊👍👍

TC JC

Xxx

I’m so sorry you tore a muscle. Those hurt terribly. I hope it heals quickly. I’ve only done yoga a couple of times, lots of stretching I do know. I’ve become very lazy except for chasing the new puppy outside and playing with her. I do go shopping and to lunch with a friend once a week, so I do get out. We are now packing my Uncle to move in with us. He closes on his house 2-14. We were hoping until spring, but received an offer and had to go with it. I get enough exercise with Delilah, she wears me out lol...

Glad the other WD symptoms have subsided for now. Maybe you’re in the clear on those. Let’s hope.🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻

Take care,

Frogie xx

Valium, Gabapentin, Lamictal, Prilosec and Zantac from 2000 to 2015 with a fast taper by a psychiatrist.

Liquid Lexapro Nov, 2016 to 31-March, 2019 Lexapro free!!! (total Lexapro taper was 4 years-started with pill form)

---CURRENT MEDICATIONS:Supplements:Milk Thistle, Metamucil, Magnesium Citrate, Vitamin D3, Levothyroxine 25mcg, Vitamin C, Krill oil.

Xanax 1mg 3x day June, 2000 to 19-September, 2020 Went from .150 grams (average weight of 1 Xanax) 3x day to .003 grams 3x day. April 1, 2021 went back on 1mg a day. Started tapering May 19, 2023. July 28, 2023-approximately .87mg. Dr. fast tapered me at the end and realized he messed up. Prescribe it again and I am doing "slower than a turtle" taper.

19-September, 2020 Xanax free!!! (total Xanax taper was 15-1/2 months-1-June, 2019-19-September, 2020)

5 hours ago, Frogie said:

I’m so sorry you tore a muscle. Those hurt terribly. I hope it heals quickly. I’ve only done yoga a couple of times, lots of stretching I do know. I’ve become very lazy except for chasing the new puppy outside and playing with her. I do go shopping and to lunch with a friend once a week, so I do get out. We are now packing my Uncle to move in with us. He closes on his house 2-14. We were hoping until spring, but received an offer and had to go with it. I get enough exercise with Delilah, she wears me out lol...

Glad the other WD symptoms have subsided for now. Maybe you’re in the clear on those. Let’s hope.🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻

Take care,

Frogie xx

Thank you Frogie 😍

I'm doped up on painkillers at the moment, it's so frustrating.  Doing yoga, Pilates and stretching with the intent of keeping oneself relaxed etc., only to end up injured and on painkillers, lol!

I actually fell on the running machine a couple of weeks ago and gashed the front of my shin, and I must have torn the muscle initially then.  Made the mistake of closing my eyes for a couple of seconds to sense what my body was doing. BIG mistake!

My muscles have never been the same since my involvement with ADs.

I'm sure Delilah keeps you on your toes Frogie, they have so much energy, lol!!

I hope all goes well re: your uncle moving in with you guys.  Is he going to live with you permanently?

TC JC

Xxx

Major Life Events: 

3 minutes ago, Junglechicken said:

Thank you Frogie 😍

I'm doped up on painkillers at the moment, it's so frustrating.  Doing yoga, Pilates and stretching with the intent of keeping oneself relaxed etc., only to end up injured and on painkillers, lol!

I actually fell on the running machine a couple of weeks ago and gashed the front of my shin, and I must have torn the muscle initially then.  Made the mistake of closing my eyes for a couple of seconds to sense what my body was doing. BIG mistake!

My muscles have never been the same since my involvement with ADs.

I'm sure Delilah keeps you on your toes Frogie, they have so much energy, lol!!

I hope all goes well re: your uncle moving in with you guys.  Is he going to live with you permanently?

TC JC

Xxx

I hope you can heal quickly so you don’t have to continue the pain meds. No fun at all!

So sorry you fell on the running machine. At least you get on one. I would fall off hanging on with my eyes wide open lol... but OUCH!

Delilah keeps me very busy, which is probably good going through this wd. Not fun at all. I will be glad when it’s over.

My Uncle is moving in with us permanently. It will be a big change for all of us. But it’s something that has to be done. He just can’t take care of the house anymore. Time to move on.

Again, heal quickly so you can enjoy yourself 😊

Take care,

Frogie xx

Calf pain has subsided, but as I took painkillers at 11:30pm last night, it's possible their effect hadn't worn off yet.

Have a stonking headache instead - a side-effect of potent painkillers ☹️

Gut is still fine, as are the other WD symptoms.

Seeing GP tomorrow about lady issues.

Major Life Events: 

1 hour ago, Junglechicken said:

Calf pain has subsided, but as I took painkillers at 11:30pm last night, it's possible their effect hadn't worn off yet.

Have a stonking headache instead - a side-effect of potent painkillers ☹️

Gut is still fine, as are the other WD symptoms.

Seeing GP tomorrow about lady issues.

Did I mention the accompanying nausea, dizziness and fatigue?  All side effects of the painkillers 🙉

Major Life Events: 

Just watching a Netflix film called "Mountain".

Beautiful and evocative.

Narrated by Willem Dafoe, with classical music.

Definitely worth watching.

Major Life Events: 

All good on the "lady issues" front.

Smear test came back as NORMAL.

Apparently cervix is "Exotrophic" which is normal after coil fitted.  Hormonal changes cause this to happen.

I'm thinking of having it removed.

Sorry if TMI.

Major Life Events: 

All good on the "lady issues" front.

Smear test came back as NORMAL.

Apparently cervix is "Exotrophic" which is normal after coil fitted.  Hormonal changes cause this to happen.

I'm thinking of having it removed.

Sorry if TMI.

Glad you’re ok.

How’s your calf? Did you have the dr look at it?

Hopefully you are doing better😊

Take care,

Frogie xx

1 hour ago, Frogie said:

Glad you’re ok.

How’s your calf? Did you have the dr look at it?

Hopefully you are doing better😊

Take care,

Frogie xx

Thanks Frogie,

No, I didn't bother seeing the doctor.  All they would have said would be rest and painkillers.

Doing better the last couple of days....no painkillers needed.  They are brutal for causing headaches etc.,

We battle on don't we?!?

How are you doing?

TC JC

Xxx

Major Life Events: 

On 1/16/2020 at 12:19 AM, readyfortheworld said:

I know exactly how you feel. I have several other symptoms I’m dealing with as well, that also started after I got off all meds. It sucks telling others you trust that you’re still in withdrawal and them saying, “there’s no way you’re still in withdrawal”. I’ve unable to work this whole time and now most of my family is starting to label me as a deadbeat, even though I have a bachelors degree in accounting and still relatively young. I do have goals but I’ve had to put them on hold temporarily.

I never knew how many symptoms GERD could cause, I mostly associated as heartburn. It’s possible that foods like fish and chips doesn’t agree with your stomach currently but I’m sure you’ll be able to consume them again when you’re all healed. I have to eat foods that are soup-like (beans and lentils mostly) and foods that are easier to dissolve. I used to eat rice a lot but after several times of me choking on it, I stopped eating it. We might have to change our diet temporarily while our bodies’ heal. 

I had most of those gut issues as well. The gassiness and constant bowel movements were the most uncomfortable. The abdominal pain was also pretty awful. That went away for the most part but it does flare up sometimes. It’s not as bad as it was when I initially started to deal with it though. I’m sure your gut will heal again in no time! 

I haven’t aloe juice but I sure probably look into it. I drink chamomile teas almost daily, as I’ve heard that it can help relax your body and stomach. I have apple cider vinegar supplements but don’t take them. I’not sure if this is true or not but I’ve heard that it can increase stomach acid? Did it help you? I also was drinking water with baking soda but I read that it can create rebound acid so I’ve stopped. 

Hi Ready,

I realised I hadn't replied to your comments.

No, interestingly, apple cider vinegar or ACV (as it's known) doesn't increase acidity in the gut as it acts like fermented foods do by altering the acidity to a more balanced level.

Organic, unfiltered apple cider vinegar (like Bragg's) also contains "mother," strands of proteins, enzymes and friendly bacteria that give the product a murky appearance.

Some people believe that the "mother" is responsible for most of the health benefits, although there are currently no studies to support this.  It can also kill harmful bacteria or pathogens in the gut.

That's very unsupportive of your family to label you a "deadbeat".  Couldn't be further from the truth.

I didn't work for 3 years while I was in early stages of recovery.  My career was also put on hold.  A LOT of money was spent on my treatment including seeing various healthcare professionals on a weekly basis.

Is there any chance you can provide accountancy/bookkeeping services from home so that you have an income coming in?  That way you can avoid the stress of an office environment?

Food for thought (excuse the pun)?

Major Life Events: 

I hate that feeling of panic starting in your belly/gut, and it starting to move up your body to your chest etc.,

Rising panic??

I have been reading about covert narcissists.

Must be sensitive to the whole thing.

Last night I had a nightmare that my MIL was keeping me and my hubby prisoner.

Woke up in a sweat, rapid breathing ☹️

Major Life Events: 

17 hours ago, Junglechicken said:

I hate that feeling of panic starting in your belly/gut, and it starting to move up your body to your chest etc.,

Rising panic??

I have been reading about covert narcissists.

Must be sensitive to the whole thing.

Last night I had a nightmare that my MIL was keeping me and my hubby prisoner.

Woke up in a sweat, rapid breathing ☹️

I can’t even watch the news. My poor fiancé reads it on his phone or computer.

Nothing violent or I will have a panic attack right away.

I’m pretty sure it is wd😞 but no fun.

Stay strong! You’re doing great!

Take care,

Frogie xx

Hi Jungle.

Were you on the meds about 4.5 years in total?

May 2016 - Aug 2016 - Prozac 20mg

March 2017 - June 2017 - Sertraline 100mg. Horrific withdrawal 5 m onths.

July 2017 - Aug 2017 - Mirtazapine 15mg. Horrific.

August 2017 - December 2017 Fluoxetine 10mg for 2 weeks ghen Escitalopram 20mg for 12 weeks. Never felt normal since this. Or baseline.

March 2018 - June 2018 - Escitalopram 5mg for 12 weeks. Stopped and here i am full of symptoms i never had.

1 minute ago, Leo1983 said:

Hi Jungle.

Were you on the meds about 4.5 years in total?

Hi Leo,

Yes, from Feb 2014 to April 2018.

Still getting some "after shocks" triggered by stress build-up.

I see you've been on a few and are now on Lexapro.

JC

Major Life Events: 

Was chemically bashed by my GP for work anxiety. 

On off on off try this try that cold turkey this etc etc..... you get the picture. 

Been off all meds 19 months now and im still not myself.... However i am better than i was. 

Aftershocks?? Do you still suffer symptoms now? as in all the wd issues?

Work can cause issues even if your well i say!

May 2016 - Aug 2016 - Prozac 20mg

March 2017 - June 2017 - Sertraline 100mg. Horrific withdrawal 5 m onths.

July 2017 - Aug 2017 - Mirtazapine 15mg. Horrific.

August 2017 - December 2017 Fluoxetine 10mg for 2 weeks ghen Escitalopram 20mg for 12 weeks. Never felt normal since this. Or baseline.

March 2018 - June 2018 - Escitalopram 5mg for 12 weeks. Stopped and here i am full of symptoms i never had.

2 minutes ago, Leo1983 said:

Was chemically bashed by my GP for work anxiety. 

On off on off try this try that cold turkey this etc etc..... you get the picture. 

Been off all meds 19 months now and im still not myself.... However i am better than i was. 

Aftershocks?? Do you still suffer symptoms now? as in all the wd issues?

Work can cause issues even if your well i say!

Why oh why do GPs prioritise chemicals over straight forward talking therapy??  Would have been much more effective for you to talk through your work anxiety over a period of time and learn coping mechanisms (e.g. CBT).

Yes, I do get the picture.

A couple of weeks ago I got hit by a wave which was very unexpected.  I figured it was a wave due to the combination of symptoms (chills, fatigue, headaches, IBS/gut issues, anxiety, pounding heart).

The rest of the time, the symptoms are fairly minor in comparison to full blown WD.  They come and go and vary depending on what the body is trying to fix.

Yes, work can definitely be a trigger so its a case of how you do your "self-care" (i.e. healthy eating, regular exercise, supplements, massage etc.,).

Major Life Events: 

Osteopath confirmed I tore a muscle in my calf.

Got some exercises to do to build the strength back up. 

Got "Back on the horse" today, and went on the elliptical machine and will start by walking only on the running machine (for 2 weeks).

Continuing with stretch classes, spinning but probably not yoga as difficult! 

Left hip is still tight from the injury last summer, but certain moves are too much for it, and it can't handle the full range of motion, so have to just back off and not push it too hard.

Major Life Events: 

On 1/18/2020 at 9:36 AM, Junglechicken said:

Hi Ready,

I realised I hadn't replied to your comments.

No, interestingly, apple cider vinegar or ACV (as it's known) doesn't increase acidity in the gut as it acts like fermented foods do by altering the acidity to a more balanced level.

Organic, unfiltered apple cider vinegar (like Bragg's) also contains "mother," strands of proteins, enzymes and friendly bacteria that give the product a murky appearance.

Some people believe that the "mother" is responsible for most of the health benefits, although there are currently no studies to support this.  It can also kill harmful bacteria or pathogens in the gut.

That's very unsupportive of your family to label you a "deadbeat".  Couldn't be further from the truth.

I didn't work for 3 years while I was in early stages of recovery.  My career was also put on hold.  A LOT of money was spent on my treatment including seeing various healthcare professionals on a weekly basis.

Is there any chance you can provide accountancy/bookkeeping services from home so that you have an income coming in?  That way you can avoid the stress of an office environment?

Food for thought (excuse the pun)?

That’s interesting about apple cider vinegar. How do you recommend I take it? We have a bottle of it that is practically new. 

I understand where they’re coming from but I try to do as much as I can. I would like to start working but the symptoms I’m dealing with are really uncomfortable and I wouldn’t be able to focus. What’s scary, is the fact that I don’t know how long it’ll take for me to recover (or feel way better than I do currently) and when I’ll be able to start working again. 

I haven’t really thought about that but I could look into it. How would I look up those kind of jobs online? I live in a smaller city that doesn’t have that good of a job market, so I’m not sure if that would be possible here. It’s worth a try, though.