Rhiannon

Taper more than one drug at a time?

Hibari

I did a dual drug taper as well till I got to the lower doses of my first drug.   Then I concentrated on that till I was off-now just the Lamictal to go.

I'm glad I did the dual taper as well. 

GreenFlameTiger

I am currently tapering down my Olanzapine. I started in 2013 so as you can see it's very slow going :P. Lots of learning along the road but I've gotten A LOT better. I'm almost finished with the Olanzapine but I find that when I drop the dose I tend to have trouble sleeping. So my brother suggested that I start tapering the Lamotrigine I'm taking. So continue at the dose I am at with Olanzapine and begin a micro taper of Lamotrigine. Is this advisable? Thank you all for your time.

neroli

This is not scientific research but the man (a chemist) who speaks at 25.38 on this video (it's in Will Hall's presentation at Psych Drugs Risks and Alternatives conference) - thinks that the drugs he was helping his son come off needed to be tapered at the same relative proportion at the same time.

Altostrata

He has a theory, we don't know if it's true. Also, he is not the person who might suffer withdrawal symptoms if his theory is incorrect.

We go by symptom pattern. If you change the dosage of more than one drug at a time and you get a bad reaction, we won't know where it's coming from. This creates a huge mess in trying to figure out which drug caused the symptoms and which drug, if any, to updose.

Such a mess, in fact, that usually it's anybody's guess and you're pretty much on your own, good luck. You could be experimenting with drug permutations for a long time.

neroli

Thank you, Altostrata.  Yes, I see the sense in what you say.  And things can get very messy even tapering one at a time.  I will proceed  with caution - and rein in my impatience.  I'm working with Shep on the benzo forum to find the optimum reduction schedule.