Dextromethorphan as SSRI/SNRI. Have you ever used it?

Renaldas

Dextromethorphan (DXM) is known as SNRI with more pronounced affinity towards serotonin vs norepinephrine. Has anybody success tapering SSRI or SNRI with the help of DXM or fully changed their antidepressant to DXM? Surely, this would be off label use, DXM is not approved for such a use. Despite this, there are enough evidences, than this drug can act as a very quick antidepressant due to its NMDA antagonistic property. Combined SNRI with NMDA from theoretical standpoint looks promising. 

Hi Renaldas-- welcome to the group.  All you'd be doing is swapping one set of problems for another, and still have the original problem of trying to control things with drugs.  These drugs are not interchangeable so you would end up with WD from the first and start up problems from the second.  DMX is not as strong as a "real" ssri/snri so it will not have the same affects.  Combining DXM with any other psych drug open you up to serotonin syndrome which is a very dangerous condition. 

SA does not condone the use of drugs to aid in WD, nor do we allow posts advocating it.

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

Yes, I know DXM is not as strong as most SSRI/SNRI and that combining them can cause serotonin syndrome (SS), but I think it is a little bit exaggerated. There are plenty of cases where patients combine two SSRIs or SSRI with SNRI, and the doctors are not afraid of SS. But these are only my thoughts. 

DXM is interesting to me because it is an NMDA antagonist, and not so long ago this class of drugs (with ketamine as a best known) is studied and shown to be effective very quick acting antidepressant. A pity, there are no long term studies ... DXM is an NMDA antagonist and SNRI in one.

I only wanted to know if anybody tried to use DXM instead of "typical" SSRI/SNRI or both drugs at the same time and their luck with these substances.

I will admit that it is a very intriguing idea and one that needs further research.  However, this is a support site for people trying to get off of psych drugs, not a research group.  Because we do not condone the use of drugs to control WD we don't allow any discussion of the topics so there will not be any useful information here.  Considering that you are brand new to the sight I would like to point out a couple of threads that you should read:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/9653-rules-and-guidelines/

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1598-what-will-get-you-warned-or-banned/    

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy