HPJM Side effects from Prozac 4 years later?

HPJM

Hey guys.

I am a 22 yo male who was given Prozac just over 4 years ago by a psychiatrist as a treatment for my OCD, when I had just turned 18. I didn't take it for long, maybe 1-2 months.

I was given 10mg I think, it may have been 20mg. I'm going to the doctor tomorrow so I will update this post.

Long story short, the Prozac didn't do anything for my OCD, all it did was make me very numb, anhedonic, and apathetic. It took away my sex drive and took away any feeling down there. I switched to liquid form and during the space of a week on holiday I was accidentally administering twice the dose because of a mis-measurement, so I could have been taking 20/40mg daily. 

After these effects I stopped it fairly quickly, with the permission of my psychiatrist. 

The trouble is, I feel like these effects still linger. I feel very little, towards people or new experiences. Nothing feels too pleasurable, I don't have much motivation, don't experience many emotions and my libido is still pretty low. It's strange since I have a physical need for sex, but my emotional drive just isn't there like it used to be. I've often speculated if it is dopamine related, and if so whether Bupropion would help. I'm pretty sure this goes beyond the depression/anxiety I continue to experience occasionally. 

Anyone else had this or know what I can do?

Any help appreciated.

HPJM

Took Prozac in the summer of 2011 for OCD.

Was on it for around a month, but for a week I took double the dose accidentally after I switched to a liquid form. 

I had bad sexual side effects including numbness and low libido.

Feel fine now, fully healed and recovered.

wow, its scary how much I reate to this post, the only thing different in me are

-I am 23 instead of 22.

-I was given prozac in 2014 and 2015 in two periods of 3 and 4 months instead of only 2 months.

-I am now 5 months free of prozac instead of 4 years.

-I had other side effects and withdrawal effects this summer apart from only apathy and emotional numbness.

But actually I relate with absolutely everything else from your post, specially with this: 

The trouble is, I feel like these effects still linger. I feel very little, towards people or new experiences. Nothing feels too pleasurable, I don't have much motivation, don't experience many emotions and my libido is still pretty low. It's strange since I have a physical need for sex, but my emotional drive just isn't there like it used to be.

I found this website when I started having bad side effects from the prozac this summer, and now my remaining symptoms are apathy and loss of libido. And like you, I also need the physical need for sex but my emotional drive is missing...

I think the solution is just wait until everything falls back to its state pre-meds, but if your symptoms have been the same for 4 years... that makes me sad and less hopeful about my situation :(

About me ------------------------ College student with a history of anxiety, excessive worrying and health anxiety.

April 2014 - May 2015----------    Prozac 20mg On and Off.  Second time on it I developed apathy, changes in personality, asexuality.

May 2015  -   July 2015-----------------  Tappering off prozac. Still no feelings,anhedonia, apathy, no libido, asexuality.

Current symptoms--------  pssd (asexuality in my case). Anxiety and depression developed some months afer stopping prozac, could have been caused by obsessing and beating myself up too much when I found myself unable to like girls again. The best thing to do with pssd (which in my case is asexuality) is accept it and move on.

wow, its scary how much I reate to this post, the only thing different in me are

-I am 23 instead of 22.

-I was given prozac in 2014 and 2015 in two periods of 3 and 4 months instead of only 2 months.

-I am now 5 months free of prozac instead of 4 years.

-I had other side effects and withdrawal effects this summer apart from only apathy and emotional numbness.

But actually I relate with absolutely everything else from your post, specially with this: 

The trouble is, I feel like these effects still linger. I feel very little, towards people or new experiences. Nothing feels too pleasurable, I don't have much motivation, don't experience many emotions and my libido is still pretty low. It's strange since I have a physical need for sex, but my emotional drive just isn't there like it used to be.

I found this website when I started having bad side effects from the prozac this summer, and now my remaining symptoms are apathy and loss of libido. And like you, I also need the physical need for sex but my emotional drive is missing...

I think the solution is just wait until everything falls back to its state pre-meds, but if your symptoms have been the same for 4 years... that makes me sad and less hopeful about my situation :(

Don't lose hope. My brain is probably a lot more sensitive than yours. I have noticed I am sensitive to caffeine and alcohol as well. 

I'm also not 100% convinced that it isn't lingering depression/anxiety/other issues or even a placebo effect. Even mild depression can lead to anhedonia.

But if it was caused by the Prozac, then I guess I'll just have to wait. The other side effects have disappeared completely. I'm going to stay optimistic, and I've read positive stories of recovery, which suggest it is not a matter of if, but when. 

Was on it for around a month, but for a week I took double the dose accidentally after I switched to a liquid form. 

• Administrator

Welcome, HPJM.

Some people are very sensitive to the effects of serotonergics like Prozac (or LSD or MDMA) and experience withdrawal-like effects for a long time after going off them, even though they may have been on the drugs only a short time.

What we see is that people very, very gradually recover. See The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

What is your current symptom pattern?

I've moved this to the Introductions forum to start your Intro topic.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Welcome, HPJM.

Some people are very sensitive to the effects of serotonergics like Prozac (or LSD or MDMA) and experience withdrawal-like effects for a long time after going off them, even though they may have been on the drugs only a short time.

What we see is that people very, very gradually recover. See The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

What is your current symptom pattern?

I've moved this to the Introductions forum to start your Intro topic.

Hi Altostrata

My current symptom pattern is just blunted emotional responses, anhedonia, lack of motivation, and lack of libido. 

I know it has got slightly better and no doubt there are factors that make it worse, for instance when I get anxious, stressed or depressed, it's hard to distinguish what is causing the symptoms sometimes. But I remember feeling like a 'zombie' on Prozac and some of that is still here. 

The link about recovery gives me a lot of hope. I know a lot of the original side effects have gone away for good and the remaining ones have improved, but very slowly.

Dear HPJM

Find the PSSD link in the symptoms area of the web. Petunia, Theon, others and myself have posted recovery cases from this same symptoms. Some of them took a long time to go away.

PROBLEM. PSSD 
Symptons:- 1 Not arousal, not libido: the sensation of "I could live without sex" - 2 I can get orgasms but they are much weaker. -3 I have noticed that my breast  don´t get swollen before menstruation (This has improved) -4  Lack of vaginal discharge (this has improved)- 5 Barely absence of vaginal odour
Induced by In Escitalopram 1 year and two months
Begining:10 mg per day -Jun 2013 to May 2013-
Reduce to 10 gr every two days - Jun 2013 to Aug 2013

Eventually quit on September 2013.

Slight Improvements. Window:  3 days on August 2015

WHY STARTING WITH IT?Great general anxiety that Esc. cured . Novemb 2015 anxiety hasd returned
Natural suplements or herbs you are having?: 1500 mg oil fish omega 3 daily since 28/1/2014.

December 15. 0,5-1 gr lorazepam per day. 

"if you come up with any good ideas, please let me know"

Dear HPJM

Find the PSSD link in the symptoms area of the web. Petunia, Theon, others and myself have posted recovery cases from this same symptoms. Some of them took a long time to go away.

Hey escitopramsucks

Thanks for the encouragement. Where can I find the recovery stories?

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi HPJM,

Here's the link to our general recovery success stories: Success stories: Recovery from withdrawal

Here's the link to our PSSD topic where you will find success stories posted through the thread:  Post-SSRI sexual dysfunction (PSSD) - Symptoms and self ...

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

• 3 months later...

Hi HPJM,

Here's the link to our general recovery success stories: Success stories: Recovery from withdrawal

Here's the link to our PSSD topic where you will find success stories posted through the thread:  Post-SSRI sexual dysfunction (PSSD) - Symptoms and self ...

Thanks Petunia.