earlygirl: Going off Lexapro

earlygirl

Still have stressors in my life, but the Lexapro isn't going to make those go away.  I've changed things to help with that - yoga, daily exercise, love my job - and it's time to start trying to get off the drugs.  I still have Xanax that I can take as needed, but want to eventually get off of that as well.  Life's not going to settle down for me for a long time - time to figure out healthier ways to deal than drugs!  Plus, I haven't ever been this heavy except when I was pregnant and my husband is ready for a few other things to go back to normal too (*wink* *wink*).  I am as well.  Right now, my mother-in-law with dementia lives with my husband and me and his family is hard to deal with about it.  My little sister has stage 4 colon caner and has been fighting the good fight for 7 years now.  My dad's mind is slipping, and my mom's body is slipping - they're in the ER once every few weeks.  Since we moved back home about 2 years ago, they now call me for the bad stuff or when they need something.  S'okay.  That's why we came home.  My daughter is carrying on with our neighbor.  He will be divorced in a month (or so they say).  Our daughter is 20 and his "soon to be" ex is a sociopath.  And I want to go off my anti-anxiety meds.  Sounds crazy in itself, doesn't it?  I don't have any plans to do anything crazy.  Just very slowly taper off.  All of that stuff won't go away for a long time.  I don't want to be on drugs for a long time.  So we'll try and see what happens.  :)

Currently:

Lexapro, 20 mg, started 3/14

Xanax, 1/2 - 1 mg, prn

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi earlygirl , welcome to the site.  

My , you certainly do have a lot going on.  You'll get lots of support and information here to help you come off

lexapro in as safe a way as possible.

The recommendation here is to decrease by no more than 10% in one go.  So from 20mg , your first cut would be from 20mg to 18mg

Your next would be 18 -1.8 = 16.2.

All the information you need to get smaller doses from your 20mg tablet are here , and you can ask anything you need to as you go.

Here are some threads to read to get you going:

Why Taper by 10% of my Dosage  http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1024-why-taper-by-10-of-my-dosage/

Using a Digital Scale to Measure Doses  http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1596-using-a-digital-scale-to-measure-doses/

Tips for Tapering off Lexapro  http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/406-tips-for-tapering-off-lexapro-escitalopram/

How to make a Liquid From Tablets or Capsules  http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2693-how-to-make-a-liquid-from-tablets-or-capsules/

Glad you found your way here.

Best wishes ,  Fresh

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg