Women in Scotland bringing awareness to the NHS about withdrawal

Vonnegutjunky

*Currently at 8.2-8.5 mg of my 10mg pill of Paxil (they actually weigh 12.5mg) 

january 2023 I began reducing my med again. I was a 9mg weight for years, I went to 8.9 in January, went to 8.6mg in February, and in March 2023 I went down to 8.5-8.2 mg ( my scale varies, so I stick within that .3 range because of that) 

*No other supplements or vitamins 

*Taper schedule in the pdf 

Blank.pdf

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-5vShtJtwAOGA30OxIP87steLmMdFzD29F0fzAPD564

Thanks for posting

Anns story

Ann Kelly was trapped behind a mask on antidepressants but, when she weaned herself off them, her life was destroyed by painful symptoms and anxiety.

Ann, 52, from Dunbartonshire, went to her doctor with mild anxiety and was put on antidepressants by a GP who told her: “You are one of the worried well.”

She said: “I was going about my business but I felt insulated, living my life behind a mask, not really relating properly to people. Anti-depressants wipe out bad feelings but they wipe out good feelings too.

“The problems happen when you try to allow your body to work without the drug.”

Ann decided she had been on the drugs long enough and tapered off them over a period of two years after consulting with her doctor.

But she said: “When I came off them two years ago, the symptoms were horrendous.

“Trying to get off them is like you are caught in a leg snare. You can bleed to death or try to escape and it will rip your leg off.

“I had dizziness, co-ordination problems, balance problems, forgetfulness, gastric problems and was agitated beyond belief.”

At one point she was so ill, her brothers had to lift her in and out of bed. But when she went back to the doctor she was told these were all symptoms of her original condition.

Ann refused to believe the diagnosis and saw an expert psycho-pharmacologist who confirmed she was suffering withdrawal. With the help of her local MSP Jackie Baillie, she organised a meeting with NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde’s head of psychiatric services Dr David Gerber, who also conceded her condition had been caused by the drug withdrawal.

Ann has set up a help group in Helensburgh called Recovery and Renewal for anyone struggling from the effects of the drugs.

She said: “Once you take an antidepressant it becomes a dance that never ends.”

Thought for the day: Lets stand up, and let’s speak out , together. G Olsen

We have until the 14th. Feb 2018. 

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

http://www.parliament.scot/GettingInvolved/Petitions/PE01651   

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy