Liz88: Tapering off Cymbalta

Liz88

Finding a site like this definitely makes me feel less crazy. 

I am trying to wean off of Cymbalta. Living in hell. You name it, I have it... anxiety attacks, vertigo all day, MAJOR depression, anger...........the effin list goes on.  I had a miscarriage soon after I started weaning. Hormones and sadness from that mixed with withdrawal symptoms. I can say that this has been the hardest month of my life. My doctor said to go down 1/2 dose for a week, then stop. If I listened to him I would be dead or in the psych ward. I have read a few other stories where doctors recommend the same thing. HOW do they not know how bad it is? I am doing the "bead method".

I guess I would love to connect with people who are or have gone through this battle with cymbalta.

Ciprilex- 2013 

Cymbalta - 2013

30 to 60 to 90, back down to 60 until Feb 2016

Hi Liz. .    Welcome.  I'm sorry for what you have been through and for your loss. I can understand this has been a hard time for you .

Would you mind adding your drug history signature. It will make it easier to help you if we get a clear picture of your history.

Please put your withdrawal history in your signature

We recommend  the 10 % taper method.

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1024-why-taper-by-10-of-my-dosage/

This is your thread to ask questions and  journal your progress.  You are in a good place to deal with this . You will receive lots of support & encouragement.  Read the links and  come back with any other questions or concerns , you might have.

Ali

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

Psych Drug - free since May 2014

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Liz, just thought I'd say hi as I'm attempting to start the Cymbalta tapering journey now myself. I've tried in the past to do it more abruptly, and with alternating doses daily, but have had to ditch the attempts for various reasons (pain, anxiety, etc). Am now trying the 10% taper, and counting the mini-tablets inside my capsules. Day 1 for me, and I've spent much of it tired and sleeping so I'm already worried I'm doing it wrong. Off to a great start then! Or at least one that's representative of a lot of people's journeys with quitting these annoying bastard meds, I guess. :P Hope you're doing better or at least hanging in there.

* Mid-2009: Began Cymbalta @ 60mg. Have tried on a couple of occasions to alternate 60mg/30mg daily in an attempt to reduce it, but gave up due to physical pain and returned to 60mg.

* Mar 1, 2016: Began alternating 60mg/30mg daily. Mostly OK, but a difficult day on Mar 24 (anxiety, situational) that quickly resolved with an extra 30mg dose suggested this approach might be knocking me around a bit.

* Mar 25, 2016: The beginning of a slower approach. Tapering down to 55mg (~10%) by removing one 5mg mini-tablet from my generic (Coperin) capsule, then to 54mg after a couple of weeks when the Coperin ran out which meant going back to branded Cymbalta and bead-counting.

* Apr 9-10, 2016: Return of that insistent stabby right-shoulder pain that sometimes comes on when I try and remove Cymbalta or haven't had enough fish oil. Arthritis pain in other places (fingers in particular) at night also. Eventually resolved and felt quite fine and stable for a full two weeks prior to next taper date.

* Apr 25, 2016: Tapered Cymbalta to 48.6mg. May 25, 2016: Tapered Cymbalta to 43.7mg.

* Jun 8-10, 2016: Arthritis/nerve pain, night sweats, emo & freakin' out. Fairly well settled down again by Jun 22.

* Jun 20: Started short course of Temazepam 20mg/night to help fix whacked-out body clock. Sleeping like a baby, feel more awake in the daytime than I have in years.

* Jul 25, 2016: Cymbalta tapered to 39mg. Temazepam finished.

* Sep 11, 2016: Cymbalta tapered to 35mg.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Liz,

Welcome to SA.  It's really good that you have found this site.  The members are very supportive and there is a wealth of information here too.

"Finding a site like this definitely makes me feel less crazy."

My reaction was of relief.  And amazement at how many people are in this situation.

So that we have a detailed history, would you please add dates with doses for your Cymbalta (as accurately as you can) and especially how and when you decreased from 90 to 60.  This information will make it easier to make suggestions, especially about when it might be okay to start tapering.  Thank you.

These drugs change the brain.  These definitely helped me to understand this and consequently made me realise why the 10% taper and holding for 4 weeks is recommended.  Tapering doesn't mean we won't get withdrawal symptoms, but the idea is to minimise them as much as possible.

Introduction to AD Withdrawal Syndrome

Brain Remodelling

Video: Healing from Antidepressants: Patterns of Recovery

And here is Tips for tapering off Cymbalta (duloxetine)

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management