Lexa5199: Overwhelmed with symptoms

Lexa5199

Hello. After stopping Lexapro, which after reading all the information here I know was too abrupt, I have been having intolerable symptoms. Severe anxiety, night-time panic attacks, muscle weakness, especially in my legs, weight loss, nerve pain, muscles twitch and spasm, tinnitus, whooshing in my ears, feelings of dread and doom. The doctor who was prescribing the med knows I stopped it, and believes that "if it is withdrawal, it will go away". He is my internal medicine Doctor. I am terrified to go back on the medication, I was having some of these symptoms, especially the ear ringing when I was on Lexapro. I don't know what I should ask my doctor for. He prescribed Ativan to help with the anxiety while I go through the drug detox. When I take it, I do get some brief relief. Maybe I should just keep taking that more regularly? I've been using it infrequently now. Since it has been 2 months since I stopped, I don't have hope that my symptoms will improve if I go back on Lexapro. I am taking magnesium, omega 3's, vitamin C. We are leaving on a family vacation in one week. I am terrified to travel with this mess!

Poor medical historian, but...have taken Lexapro for many, 5+?, years. Most recent dose was 15 mg. Stopped about 2 months ago, maybe in the middle of January 2016. Weaned on my own, no doctor involved, over a several week period. During the same time was doing a nutritional detox with a naturopath. I went down by 5 mg at a time, maybe a week or two at a time. Started St John's Wort 350-700 mg a day about 3 weeks ago. Currently have Ativan to use for anxiety. .5 mg, but I usually break the pill in half. I have been using about one dose a day when I can't stand the WD symptoms anymore.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Lexa and welcome to SA,

From your comment it would seem that you have already done some reading around the site.  I don't know what you have already read so you may have already read the information I give you.  It can be overwhelming when you first get here, especially because we can be feeling so awful and we are trying to learn new things.  I hope you don't feel overwhelmed by the links I've given you.  Just work through them one at a time as you feel you can.

What was your method of reducing your Lexapro?

We understand that your first reaction is to not go back on your Lexapro.  Have a read of the links I've listed below this post and you will learn why reinstatement is suggested.

Taking an antidepressant drug changes your brain.  The brain has become dependent on receiving the drug.  Detox will not correct this.  The way to reduce the withdrawal symptoms is to reinstate a small amount of the drug that your brain had been getting.  Because you have been off Lexapro for 2 months your brain will already have started to adapt.  The mods here will be able to offer a suggestion of what dose you could reinstate.  Once you stabilise you can then commence a slow taper.  10% of the previous dose with a 4-6 week hold is what is recommended here at SA.

It takes about 4 days for the drug to get to full strength in the blood but you may find you feel some relief within hours of reinstating.

Also, it would be helpful if you could add the date to your signature because down the track "2 months ago" won't mean anything.  Thanks.  It's also a good idea to add any changes to your signature when you make them to keep the information current.

You can use your Intro/Update topic to ask questions and as a journal of your progress.

Brain Remodelling

Best Description of Healing Process About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

Introduction to AD Withdrawal Syndrome

For later:

Tips for Tapering Off Lexapro

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello Lexa and welcome to SA.

As your withdrawal symptoms are quite severe and unfortunately we see a strong tendency that they get even worse over time and/or last for months and years I would warmly recommend reinstating 1 mg to start with.

I totally understand your unwillingness. We all want to tough it out. 2 months is a bit long but we see positive outcomes in people who reinstated even after longer time. 

Also, it is such a small dose that you can discontinue it without danger should any adverse effects occur. But it is very likely you will experience improvement in your symptoms. I reinstated after over a month and felt a relief very soon but it took me a few more months for the symptoms to withdraw.

The link Chessie on tapering Lexapro that Chessie so kindly provided for you contains instructions on how to get only 1 mg of Lexapro. 

Let us know if you need more input and what you decide.

Best,

Bubble

Current: 9/2022 Xanax 0.08, Lexapro 2

2020 Xanax 0.26 (down from 2 mg in 2013), Lexapro 2.85 mg (down from 5 mg 2013)

Amitriptyline (tricyclic AD) and clonazepam for 3 months to treat headache in 1996 
1999. - present Xanax prn up to 3 mg.
2000-2005 Prozac CT twice, 2005-2010 Zoloft CT 3 times, 2010-2013 Escitalopram 10 mg
went from 2.5 to zero on 7 Aug 2013, bad crash 40 days after
reinstated to 5 mg Escitalopram 4Oct 2013 and holding liquid Xanax every 5 hours
28 Jan 2014 Xanax 1.9, 18 Apr  2015 1 mg,  25 June 2015 Lex 4.8, 6 Aug Lexapro 4.6, 1 Jan 2016 0.64  Xanax     9 month hold

24 Sept 2016 4.5 Lex, 17 Oct 4.4 Lex (Nov 0.63 Xanax, Dec 0.625 Xanax), 1 Jan 2017 4.3 Lex, 24 Jan 4.2, 5 Feb 4.1, 24 Mar 4 mg, 10 Apr 3.9 mg, May 3.85, June 3.8, July 3.75, 22 July 3.7, 15 Aug 3.65, 17 Sept 3.6, 1 Jan 2018 3.55, 19 Jan 3.5, 16 Mar 3.4, 14 Apr 3.3, 23 May 3.2, 16 June 3.15, 15 Jul 3.1, 31 Jul 3, 21 Aug 2.9 26 Sept 2.85, 14 Nov Xan 0.61, 1 Dec 0.59, 19 Dec 0.58, 4 Jan 0.565, 6 Feb 0.55, 20 Feb 0.535, 1 Mar 0.505, 10 Mar 0.475, 14 Mar 0.45, 4 Apr 0.415, 13 Apr 0.37, 21 Apr 0.33, 29 Apr 0.29, 10 May 0.27, 17 May 0.25, 28 May 0.22, 19 June 0.22, 21 Jun updose to 0.24, 24 Jun updose to 0.26

Supplements: Omega 3 + Vit E, Vit C, D, magnesium, Taurine, probiotic 

I'm not a medical professional. Any advice I give is based on my own experience and reading. 

I forgot to mention, my doctor suggested taking St John's Wort now as a natural treatment. I am taking 700 mg a day.

The thing that scares me most about reinstatement is the "possible adverse effects". I tried to copy and paste a section of the "about reinstating and stabilizing" but it pretty much says...if you are already experiencing symptoms, if you are off the drug for a month or more, reinstatement is unlikely to work. What are the possible adverse effects? And, now that I have St John's Wort in my system I could develop serotonin syndrome if I take something else, right?

Poor medical historian, but...have taken Lexapro for many, 5+?, years. Most recent dose was 15 mg. Stopped about 2 months ago, maybe in the middle of January 2016. Weaned on my own, no doctor involved, over a several week period. During the same time was doing a nutritional detox with a naturopath. I went down by 5 mg at a time, maybe a week or two at a time. Started St John's Wort 350-700 mg a day about 3 weeks ago. Currently have Ativan to use for anxiety. .5 mg, but I usually break the pill in half. I have been using about one dose a day when I can't stand the WD symptoms anymore.

Now I just read in the drug interactions.... I absolutely can't take St. John's wort and Lexapro at the same time. So even if I did want to try reinstate, I would have to wean off the Wort first. This is all so defeating! Should I just keep taking the Wort, take the Ativan and hope for the best? I am bawling as I type this. So depressed.

Lexa.       Since it has only been 2 months, since stopping Lexapro you could stop SJW , over a few weeks and then reinstate Lexapro in a minute amount . Perhaps , 1 mg  . ( as Bubble suggested )   Some have reinstated after a much longer period of time. There is no mention of Ativan , in your history .  Could you please update  your  drug history signature ?  It just makes it easier  to help , if we have the " whole picture".

Please come back with any questions. 

Ali

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

Psych Drug - free since May 2014

we are leaving for Florida in a week. I am afraid to stop the SJW now because maybe it's keeping me from total meltdown? I don't know for sure. I have an unsupportive husband. He demeans me for being on Lexapro in the first place. Thinks I'm "weak". I have 12 and 16 year old sons who need their mom to be well. I feel so stupid for doing this to myself. I haven't yet mentioned, I am a nurse, 26 years in acute care. Telling people to never stop medications without their doctors advice! Although, my doctor thought my wean speed was "fine"--when I told him after the fact.

Lexa.      I'm sorry . You don't deserve that . You are not weak . Just the opposite. You are being very strong !  Please do not " beat yourself up " .You have the facts, now . It's up to you . I understand , if you're going away , it can be tricky . Maybe , when you get back , this can be reviewed.   I hope it goes well. Thanks for updating your history. 

Ali 

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

My pharmacist wonders if maybe I should start a low dose Celexa instead of the low dose Lexapro maybe 10 mg? Since it is the parent of the more potent Lexapro, she thinks that maybe it would help relieve my WD symptoms an then I could wean down from the Celexa. It comes in a liquid. Any input would be greatly appreciated. I feel so weak, and numb, and jittery, I have this pressure at the base of my skull, fullness in my eyes, all I can think about is how terrible I feel. I have to keep going, working, caring for my family, but I feel like curling up in a ball. My pharmacist has never heard of this syndrome. I'm at my wits end!

Don't listen to your pharmacist or doctor.  You have landed in the right place for education and tapering advice.   Switching drugs is tricky .  I would stick with what you are on .

I've asked the pharmacist to get me Lexapro from my doctor. It will be in 10 mg pill form. I am quite tempted just to work myself back up to a therapeutic dose, starting at 5 and go up from there. I could then get past this terror and then try wean down the correct way at a later date. Now that I know what the correct way would be. I don't know if that is misguided. Could I have a terrible response if I try start it again after being off for 2 months?

Lexa - I just wanted to stop in and tell you that you are doing the right thing. I tapered off Lex too quickly - 4.5 months - and didn't find my stubborn way to this board and information until I was 4 months off when it becomes risky to re-instate. I chose not to reinstate. I'm almost 22 months off and while I'm much better than I was ... I still suffer greatly and experience pain and dysfunction everyday that has limited my life experience. I have two youngish children who have seen unimaginable things thanks to this drug withdrawal so I'm happy to hear you are taking care of yourself and family.

Re-instate, and take the taper slow to try to mitigate the evil effects of these drugs. Best of luck!

9/2006 Began Lexapro

1/2014 Began taper from 15mg 

Cut dose by 2.5 mg every two weeks or until stabilized 

5/25/2014 Last dose 

Experienced: Anxiety/depression, intrusive thoughts, dizziness, de-personalization, mood swings, stomach pains, nausea, headaches, gastro upset, anger, many spells of brain fog, chills, water retention, hypoglycemia, heart palpitations, weight gain, light headedness, muscle constriction - jaw, chest, neck, cortisol surges waking me several times at night with heart racing, blurry eyesight / visual snow, neuropathic pain, burning/numbness in hands and feet, muscle twitching, light sensitivity, sinuses, temperature disregulation, ear zaps, FEAR, hopelessness, doom and gloom, muscle spasms and tension across whole body, low energy, apathy, depression, constant post nasal drip, ear pain, jaw pain and cracking, tooth pain, burning/tingling/numbing, right rib cage pain FOREVER, lymph congestion, hypersensitivity to many foods and many supplements, bladder/ urination issues, creaky bones, sallow, yellow skin on hands/feet, emotional dysregulation, back pain, vivid dreams, mucus, peeling lips.

What's left: Low energy some days, muscle pain, hormone imbalance, GI stuff here and there, eye floaters, peeling, red lips.

I can't tell you how depressed I feel. Stuck between a rock and hard place. Try to reinstate and maybe suffer terrible side effects or don't reinstate and have the same, and prolonged dysfunction! Oh, how I wish I had done more research before I tried to stop this drug! I'll just need to take a little dose and pray that God will guide the darn little thing to be useful. So, so scared.

I was also scared to reinstate my celexa, but I'm glad I did, it saved me from a very long drawn out wd that I don't know I could have handled, now once things are more settled I can do a very slow taper, so glad I found this site. Good luck too you with whatever decision you make ☺

10 years citalopram 30mg- tapered down in December 15/2015- Jan 15/2016 to 20mg for two weeks, ten for one week and five for another week, then stopped, less then two weeks later, sheer hell broke lose with debilitating withdrawal symptoms.

Update-- reinstated 5mg of celexa on feb 5-- within hours noticed immediate difference in WD symptoms-- Holding holding and more holding.

Updose- March 23/16 too 10mg- relieved the harsher head symptoms- current symptoms headaches, dizzy, numbness and tingling in my head.

Benzos- 2015-Ativan on and off for 6 months 2mg- switched to clonazepam nov 2015- 2mg till Jan 2016 Zopiclone 7.5mg nov-dec 2015- was tapered off over 4weeks- Currently in protracted withdrawal. ????????????????????????????????

Update- ended up in the hospital April 18/16 major suicidal ( never had that before) was admitted/ been there ever since, put me back to full dose celexa 30mg no drugs added, IAM FINALLY STABLE AFTER 3 months of tortuous hell. Got a great physiatrist that new all about WD, he will help me taper properly in a couple of months at 5% deductions holding 8 weeks. I never want to relive that hell again.

Udate- stable and holding, doing things slowly is key.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Lexa,

St Johns Wort is very similar to Prozac.  When a mod comes online I will PM them with a suggestion about stopping the SJW straight away and reinstating a LOW DOSE of Lexapro.

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

I have just picked up the 10 mg Lexapro from the pharmacy. Tablets are small. I could probably cut in quarters. I took a dose of St. John's wort 350 mg this morning at 8, it is now 7:40 pm. In prior days, for about 5 days, I took 2. I have never taken the full therapeutic dose of 3. I read that the half-life is 26 hours, but, if I'm taking such a tiny dose of Lexapro, should that be ok?

• Moderator Emeritus

I haven't caught a mod online yet.  I'll keep my eye open. I'd rather get their opinion.

My symptoms have changed now. Instead of just periods of time throughout the day when I felt bad, now it's all the time. I feel super anxious, dry mouth, heart pounding, hardly sleep, maybe a couple hours at a time, my lips are so dry, my legs are weak and shaky, I have muscle twitches and twinges, a new burning sensation in the nerves, no appetite. I feel like I am going out of my skin! The only time I feel a bit better is when I take Ativan. I take .25 mg. I have tried to only take it once a day. I have to work. I have to live my life. I don't have the option of staying in bed. I want to try reinstatement of my Lexapro. I am still waiting to hear from a moderator when I can do that because I was on St. John's wort. Anyone out there?

Have you started to taper the st Johns wart?

10 years citalopram 30mg- tapered down in December 15/2015- Jan 15/2016 to 20mg for two weeks, ten for one week and five for another week, then stopped, less then two weeks later, sheer hell broke lose with debilitating withdrawal symptoms.

Update-- reinstated 5mg of celexa on feb 5-- within hours noticed immediate difference in WD symptoms-- Holding holding and more holding.

Updose- March 23/16 too 10mg- relieved the harsher head symptoms- current symptoms headaches, dizzy, numbness and tingling in my head.

Benzos- 2015-Ativan on and off for 6 months 2mg- switched to clonazepam nov 2015- 2mg till Jan 2016 Zopiclone 7.5mg nov-dec 2015- was tapered off over 4weeks- Currently in protracted withdrawal. ????????????????????????????????

Update- ended up in the hospital April 18/16 major suicidal ( never had that before) was admitted/ been there ever since, put me back to full dose celexa 30mg no drugs added, IAM FINALLY STABLE AFTER 3 months of tortuous hell. Got a great physiatrist that new all about WD, he will help me taper properly in a couple of months at 5% deductions holding 8 weeks. I never want to relive that hell again.

Udate- stable and holding, doing things slowly is key.

I have been off since yesterday morning. I went ahead and took 2.5 of Lexapro today at 10. I'll see what happens. The wort should be decreasing its affect by the time the Lex does anything, I would think.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Lexa,

Have you notice any improvement in you withdrawal symptoms?

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Lexa , welcome to the site.   It's extremely unlikely that you'd get a bad reaction to the SJW  with a tiny dose of lexapro.

Rather than stopping it abruptly , you might want to go back to 3/4 the dose you were taking for a few

days , and taper it over a few weeks. 

I'm concerned that going from 700mg a day to 0 over 2 days will have it's own withdrawal.  Hopefully Altostrata will comment on this tomorrow.

It's going to be essential to take accurate doses of lexapro.  If you're cutting tabs. into quarters and are off by 1mg either way , it means you'll bounce around within a big window of 2-3mg each day.

It's very easy to make a solution by dissolving a 20mg tablet in 20mls of water. Then you can draw up precision doses in a syringe.

See  http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/406-tips-for-tapering-off-lexapro-escitalopram/page-1

It's going to take at least 4 days for the lexapro to reach a steady state in your blood-stream , so hang in there.

Best wishes ,  Fresh

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

• Administrator

Welcome, Lexa.

It is possible you had an adverse reaction to St. John's Wort. Please let us know how you're doing with the Lexapro reinstatement. It may take some time for your system to settle down.

Next time you see your doctor, you might inform him your withdrawal symptoms were intolerable and he advised you to go off Lexapro too fast.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

The only time I feel a bit better is when I take Ativan. I take .25 mg. I have tried to only take it once a day. I have to work. I have to live my life. I don't have the option of staying in bed.

Welcome, Lexa. I'm so very sorry you're going through this. Please know that it does get better, and that you will get excellent help here.

I think it might be helpful if you clarify your ativan use, past and present. I am absolutely not criticizing you for taking it, just concerned from what you wrote in your post and your signature whether the apparently somewhat erratic use (dosage, etc.) might be adding to the destabilization of your CNS in withdrawal. That could be easily straightened out, but we'd need to know more details of how you've been taking it - only very occasionally or fairly frequently, and for how long.

I was "TryingToGetWell" (aka TTGW) on paxilprogress. I also was one of the original members here on Surviving Antidepressants

I had horrific and protracted withdrawal from paxil, but now am back to enjoying life with enthusiasm to the max, some residual physical symptoms continued but largely improve. The horror, severe derealization, anhedonia, akathisia, and so much more, are long over.

My signature is a temporary scribble from year 2013. I'll rewrite it when I can.

If you want to read it, click on http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/209-brandy-anyone/?p=110343

Lexa, how are you doing? I'm concerned since you haven't posted lately.

I was "TryingToGetWell" (aka TTGW) on paxilprogress. I also was one of the original members here on Surviving Antidepressants

I had horrific and protracted withdrawal from paxil, but now am back to enjoying life with enthusiasm to the max, some residual physical symptoms continued but largely improve. The horror, severe derealization, anhedonia, akathisia, and so much more, are long over.

My signature is a temporary scribble from year 2013. I'll rewrite it when I can.

If you want to read it, click on http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/209-brandy-anyone/?p=110343