Angelsabove: Pristiq Withdrawal Symtoms/Wellbutron added but meh?

Angelsabove

Hi everyone,

So here is my story in a quickie nutshell - 20+ years of Major Depressive Dissorder and PTSD but I believe I'm finally coming into a good space in my life at the age of 51. Since Sept of last year I've regularly attended therapy individualy and in a group setting and I go to church once a week plus I run my own business now as a Spiritual Guidance Counsellor, Advanced Angel Card Reader and Intuitive. Long story short I want off the pills. But awhile back I noticed I was having some weird side affects from the Pristiq (blurred vision, brain zaps) and told my GP about them so 3 weeks ago he decided to switch me back to Wellbutron (sp). Now I'm feeling horrible! I was on 150mg of Pristiq and started by dropping to 100 the first week and added 50mg of Wellbutron and week two I went to 50mg with 100 of Wellbutron and week three 50mg with 150mg of Wellbutron and now I'm off Pristiq all together and on time release Wellbutron 150mg. But I'm getting buzzing in my head and I'm dizzy and I have no energy at all. I just feel overall like crap. And now I'm thinking if this is what antidepressants are like in your body coming off them then why am I putting another one INTO my body again. Oh yeah, forgot the sweats!! As I just went into another one! I'm starting to feel and do so much better with therapy and I've never been or done that in my life. What about natural? There must be something other than this garbage that is just ruining my life! HELP!

bupropion XL 150mg 1 cap 1x day

gabapentin 300mg 3 caps 2x day

rabeprazole as needed

topiramate 100mg 3 caps 2x day

Tylenol with Codeine #3(acetaminophen / codeine) as needed but usually take 2 every night

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Angelsabove,

Welcome to SA.  Looks like you have got here just in time.

150 mg of Pristiq is a very high dose.  I was on 100 mg and got mild Serotonin Syndrome, which included sweating.

The mods will probably need to discuss your situation and about what would be the best suggestion.

It would be helpful if you could put ALL your drugs (you state that the dr decided to switch you BACK to Wellbutrin), dates, doses and how you increased/decreased in your signature.  This will allow your history to be seen at a glance and will show up whenever you post.

I suggest you research serotonin syndrome and see what symptoms line up with what you are experiencing.  If there are any other drugs you are taking please put them in the drugs checker and copy and paste it back here.

The mods need to have all the details so they are best able to assist.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Hi Chessie Cat,

Thank you for replying. I will definitely go and read some more about seretonin syndrome. I had a quick read about it after reading your post. WOW! I'm floored that wasn't even a concern with my GP while switching me over considering both of the AD's are on the lists and are known to cause this syndrome! At the moment I'm having such a hard time even sitting up in bed because my head is buzzing so badly ever time I move it. I'm so upset. I want off these pills so I can make this crappy feeling go away but then I start feeling like **** again and I start thinking "oh crap, is it the depression rearing it's ugly head?" I'm such a mess right now. And it's worse that I'm suppose to be leaving in a couple days to visit my daughter who is about 8 hours away at college. I can't even fathom the drive. UGGH!

As for with drawing off Pristiq this was the protocol

week 1 - Cut back Pristiq to 100mg added 50mg Wellbutron

week 2 - Cut back Pristiq to 50mg added 50mg Wellbutron

week 3 - Cut back Pristiq to 50mg added 150mg Wellbutron XL

week 4 - Cut out Pristiq only on Wellbutron XL 150 mg

rabeprazole as needed

Tylenol with Codeine #3(acetaminophen / codeine) as needed but usually take 2 every night

• Moderator Emeritus

You are most probably getting withdrawal symptoms from stopping the Pristiq too quickly.  Pristiq is an SNRI whereas Wellbutrin is an NDRI so your brain is missing the chemical from Pristiq which it is used to.  The brain changes when we take these drugs and it has to be tapered slowly so that the brain has the chance to adapt to not getting as much of the drug.

Brain Remodelling

Video:  Healing from Antidepressants - Patterns of Recovery (4 minutes)

Introduction to Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome

Why Taper My Dose by 10%?

Reinstating and Stabilising to Reduce Withdrawal Symptoms

I've included some links for you to read.  It will probably be best for you to reinstate Pristiq, which will be causing withdrawal symptoms.  I got very bad foggy head for 2 weeks and had trouble typing when I dropped from 100 mg to 50 mg.  About 4 hours after going back up my head cleared and I could type again.  The difference was incredible.  It does take 4 days for the drug to get to full strength in the blood but you may feel some relief within a few hours to about 1/2 day.

I'm not really sure what dose to suggest.  I had been off for 2 weeks and it was suggested I go onto 75 mg and then hold for 2-3 months to stabilise.  I can't tell from what you have posted when you last took your Pristiq.  It would be helpful to include this information in your signature so it can be seen whenever you post and is able to be viewed at a glance by the mods and other members.  The mods need as much information as possible so they are able to offer suggestions.

Unless a mod comes on and offers a suggestion, you could possibly start with cutting a 50 mg tablet in half and take 25 mg.  I am assuming that you have only very recently stopped the Pristiq.  I am only including my thoughts because I am concerned about you driving in a couple of days.  You could stay on 25 mg for a week and see how you go.  If you are concerned about 25 mg you could always take a 1/4 of a tablet (ie 12.5 mg).  As I said, you may feel some relief within a few hours.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Thanks Chessie,

My last dose was yesterday. And it was 50mg. So early yesterday morning. I will go add that to my signature. And thank you again for the links. I really appreciate all the help!!

rabeprazole as needed

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Angelsabove , welcome to the site.  I can see you've been given alot to think about from the links ChessieCat gave you.

The wellbutrin clearly isn't protecting you from pristiq withdrawal symptoms , and these are likely to get worse before they fade away.

The 150mg dose of pristiq was giving you symptoms of toxicity.

How long were you taking pristiq for , at what doses?  How did you titrate up?  How long did you take wellbutrin for before pristiq , at what dose?

What do you take gabapentin for , how long have you taken that?  Are you taking 1800mg a day?

What do you take topiramate for?  Do you take 600mg a day?

It's important that we get a picture with dates to be able to offer the best suggestions.  Perhaps you could try redoing your signature , instructions are at the top of the Introductions page.

My gut feeling is that your best bet at this stage is to reinstate pristiq to 100mg for the next few days , and cease wellbutrin.

Give your brain a good 6-8 weeks to recover , then begin a slow , safe taper off pristiq. 

Please put all your drugs into the interaction checker at www.drugs.com and copy and paste any adverse reactions here.

If you click FOLLOW at the top right , you'll receive an email each time someone posts.

Welcome aboard ,  Fresh

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

• Moderator Emeritus

And welcome from me too,

You're in a tricky stage right now, getting to grips with all this new info and dealing with awful symptoms, but things will start to clear as you get started on these steps towards stabilising. 

Please do keep checking in to let us know what's happening.

Hugs,

Karen

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

Micro-tapering: four weekly 0.4% cuts, hold 4 weeks (struggling with symptoms).

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.
Supplements: Fish oil, vitamin C, iron, oat-straw tea, nettle tea.

2023 December - Now on 5 micro-beads Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops. Symptoms begin to increase.

2024 April - Updosed to 6 microbeads - immediate increase in symptoms for 4 days. Decreased to 5 microbeads.

'The possibility of renewal exists so long as life exists.'  Dr Gabor Mate.

• Administrator

Welcome, Angels.

150mg Pristiq is a truly excessive dosage of Pristiq. Did the same doctor prescribe you all the other drugs? This is a doctor who does not know what he's doing with psychiatric drugs. Please be very careful about taking his advice when it comes to these drugs.

It sounds to me like you are experiencing Pristiq withdrawal syndrome, as Chessie, Fresh, and Karen noted.

When and why were these added:

rabeprazole as needed

Please put ALL the drugs you take in the Drug Interactions Checker http://www.drugs.com/drug_interactions.html
and copy and paste the results in this topic. (Thanks, Chessie.)

I am very worried about the codeine.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.