Jt1234. Withdrawals after 6 weeks?

Jt1234

I was on prestiq for about 3 years. I wanted to try something different to help with anxiety so my dr. Put me on remeron. I started remeron in January at 15 mg. after a week I went to 30mg. And stayed on that for 5 weeks. I didn't notice much of a difference so I told the dr. I wanted to go back to prestiq and he told me to stop taking the remeron and restart the prestiq. Nothing about tapering off or there being withdrawals. After about two weeks of hell and missed work my wife found some information about remeron withdrawals and proper tapering, which I didn't do. It's been three weeks since I last took remeron and started on prestiq and I still feel awful; terrible anxiety, panic attacks, constant racing/intrusive thoughts, insomnia like never before and frequent crying spells. My question is this, is it possible to have withdrawal Simpsons lasting over three weeks from only taking remeron for 6 weeks and if so where do I go from here? Do I restart the remeron or just wait it out. And how long can this last if it is indeed from the remeron? Please help

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Jt and welcome to SA,

You've landed in the right place.  You will be able to get information, support and suggestions from the members and voluntary staff here.

In order to best help you, could you please Put your drug history in your signature, include ALL drugs, dates, doses and how you decreased/increased them.  Doing this will give the staff the necessary information to be able to make suggestions about your individual situation.

Because your situation involves 2 drugs, I will leave it for the staff to offer suggestions.  All I will say is that both Pristiq and Remeron need to be tapered and both can cause withdrawal symptoms.  I'll also give you some links that you can read.

Introduction to AD Withdrawal Syndrome

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

Brain Remodelling

Video: Healing from Antidepressants: Patterns of Recovery

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

I can't figure out how to update the drug history but I am currently on 150mg lamictol for 5 years up and down from 75-150 periodically and 25mg prestiq for three weeks.