Sugar: Its effect on mental health and withdrawal

Altostrata

I have to say when it became clear that food items were making me ill and I truly realized that was the source of greater illness it became very easy to give up foods...the trick is the total elimination...because then, if you eat it again, there is no doubt that it is problematic...it's making those clean breaks that is the hardest step...or it was for me anyway...

I remain open to adding problematic foods back in in the future, but for the time being I really have no problem at all sticking to a regimented whole foods diet...I want to get well :-)

for me it's been worth being really hard-core about eliminating foods that were guilty....some things will be forever...others there is room for reconsideration once I'm healthier...

Everything Matters: Beyond Meds 

https://beyondmeds.com/

withdrawn from a cocktail of 6 psychiatric drugs that included every class of psych drug.

• Administrator

Glutamine is a component of protein, i.e. meat.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Moderator Emeritus

In the U.S. we have an additional problem with much of our food being genetically modified but not labeled as such. It's best to stick to an organic diet as much as possible, especially when it comes to wheat, corn, soy, sugar, and canola, which are almost always genetically modified unless labeled "certified organic". You can pretty much count on getting a load of GMO stuff in processed cereals, convenience foods, snacks, and desserts.

There is mounting evidence that genetically modified grains are killing off livestock or rendering young animals sterile, and that only a few days on an organic diet can clear up a number of health problems in people. I don't have the articles handy, but I remember those results very well.

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

• 3 years later...

Does anyone find that an overload of sugar makes symptoms worse such as anger and crying bouts?

May 12th 2016 took last bead of effexor. 8 month taper.  Bridge = prozac 5mg, 300mg Lithium

May 31st took last of prozac. Lithium 300 mg, estrogen patch 150, magnesium.

June 14th reinstated 1mg Prozac due to intolerable emotional distress. Cont with lithium 300mg, 150 magnesium, re added omega 3, cont estrogen patch. June 15-july 5th had marked improvement of emotional wd symptoms, likely due to the reinstatement. July 5th intense emotional symptoms returned.

July 15 decreased 50 mg of lithium to see if it improved low heart rate.

July 19th - increased prozac to 1.5mg.

July 22 marked improvement of emotional symptoms...again, likely due to increase of prozac. However sudden agitation developed so decreased back down to 1.25mg prozac. Realizing increasing dose is dangerous because of these adverse effects and also seeing that wave is inevitable regardless of reinstatement.

Continuing 250 lithium, 1.25mg prozac, estrogen.

Oct 31st - continued 250 lithium, 1 mg prozac, estrogen patch.

Jan 2018  - off of prozac (bridge) as of Dec 2017.  Starting to taper Lithium 250 mg.  Will do 10% per month. 

May 2018 - lithium 115mg.  Still having waves but they aren’t as bad.  However, I really struggle with emotional symptoms about 1 week after a cut. 

dec 2018- 80mg lithium.  Tapering 1 mg per week since last June.  Symptoms improving overall but still very sensitive to light, sound, social stimulation and I cry a lot.

March 2019 - 65 mg lithium.  Still tapering 1mg per week.  Jan 2021- down to 4 mg lithium (get it compounded). Reinstated 5 mg Prozac. Jan 2023- withdraw 5mg prozac over one month Feb 20th 2023- reinstated 1mg Prozac. Still taking 4 mg lithium. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Yes, many of us have had to reduce or completely cut out sugar once we become sensitized by withdrawal. I used to be able to eat a normal dessert, or a bowl of ice-cream, a chocolate bar and put sugar in my tea or coffee, but not any more. Too much sugar and my symptoms increase.

A few weeks back I thought I was recovered enough to eat a normal dessert, so I tried, two days in a row. It put me in a wave that lasted 2 weeks.

I also have to be careful about eating too much fruit also. I can have a little organic raw honey, stevia and a tiny amount of high quality, organic dark chocolate and that's my limit at the moment.

Also see:  Sugar: Its effect on mental health and withdrawal *topics merged

Edited by Petunia

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

• Mentor

I have a terrible time with sugar. I don't know if it's because I have always had a sweet tooth and have always eaten way too much (candy, cake, cookies, ice cream, brownies, etc) and it's just taken it's toll on my body (liver, pancreas, whatever other organs sugar affects)

but now I can have small amnts of sugar in my coffee and tea (usually from the sweetened soy creamer that I use) I can have a little honey or sweetener in cereal.

But Feb 1st was my birthday and I ate way too much sugar and was in pain (it seems to cause inflammation that leads to joint pain) and I just crashed and slept off and on for almost 24hrs since

before menopause, sugar definitely affected my moods. I don't know if it still does, too much makes me so sleepy I don't generally stay awake to find out what my mood would be if I were awake :/

for me lack of sleep leads to anger/rage, but I can see how sugar could do that too.

PLEASE DO NOT SEND ME PRIVATE MESSAGES, thank you. 

• pysch med history: 1974 @ age 18 to Oct 2017 (approx 43 yrs total) 
  •  Drug list: stelazine, haldol, elavil, lithium, zoloft, celexa, lexapro(doses as high as 40mgs), klonopin, ambien, seroquel(high doses), depakote, zyprexa, lamictal- plus brief trials of dozens of other psych meds over the years
  • started lexapro 2002, dose varied from 20mgs to 40mgs. First attempt to get off it was 2007- WD symptoms were mistaken for "relapse". 
  •  2013 too fast taper down to 5mg but WD forced me back to 20mgs
  •  June of 2105, tapered again too rapidly to 2.5mgs by Dec 2015. Found SA, held at 2.5 mgs til May 2016 when I foolishly "jumped off". felt ok until  Sept, then acute WD hit!!  reinstated at 0.3mgs in Oct. 2106
  • Tapered off to zero by  Oct. 2017 Doing very well. 
  • Nov. 2018 feel 95% healed, age 63 
  • Jan. 2020 feel 100% healed, peaceful and content
  • PRESENT DAYS:  Loving life! ❤️ with all it's ups and downs ;) 

Copious amounts of sugar, or even sugar levels above the recommended daily 25g, ABSOLUTELY create a chaotic environment - both on a physiological and psychological level.

In today's society, there is so much added sugar, that one has to be aware of everything they're consuming at all times. An 8oz can of Mountain Dew contains almost double the RDA amount!

If sugar was the gun, inflammation would be the bullet. Furthermore (still in-metaphor), if inflammation is the key precipitating factor in depression and you were at a firing range taking aim at a target à la the human brain, you'd have blown a hole right through the berm and backside of the building.

Sorry, couldn't help it. :wacko:

I've fasted before and didn't want to go back to eating - anything - because I felt so great.

The point is to watch what you're eating. The tip of the old food pyramid has been withdrawn for this reason and also because you'll get the sugar you need through fruits and veggies.

Vaulted on to 20mg Lexapro in 2004.

Consistently on until 2009, roughly.

Stopped, cold turkey. <----naïve, didn't know any better. :(

Experienced irritability, dysphoria, and - you guessed it - depression.

Went off and on, on and off for a while.

Experimented with Wellbutrin and Zoloft.

On 10mg fluoxetine hcl for the last 2 years.

I believe my erratic medication behavior has compounded my

depression 10 fold, and has made it very hard to live without

AD's. Have gone 2 years without them before, and had to

return. It's that bad.

Sugar impacts me as well and I crave it so much.....sigh

Paxil 20mg from 1998-2011 

Paxil 40mg from 2011-2012 while experiencing poopout

October 2013 quit cold turkey

Oct-mid Nov 2013 great window

Late November WD nightmare 

Windows and waves pattern 

Now: 28 months cold turkey...doing decent learning to deal with the windows/waves pattern fighting it every step of the way. 

i have intermittent problems with sugar in withdrawal.  cognitive dysfunction, rage attacks, movement problems, etc.  some days i cannot tolerate even a tiny nibble of chocolate or little taste of natural juice.  some days i can manage a small helping of sugary goods, like french toast with a bit of syrup.  sometimes sugar is mostly ok.  i spent a few several-month periods in withdrawal eating chocolate ice cream every day, oftentimes more than just once.

the sugar problem extends to foods that get processed into sugars, too.  bready items, for instance, can case the same issues once they are being digested.  sugar problems from other things can be instantaneous or cause trouble only after a few minutes have passed.  i try to test foods that i am sensitive to before taking a substantial bite or including them in meals, especially since the level of sensitivity can change hour to hour or day to day.  it can sometimes be difficult to get any fruit or vegetables in my diet for stretches due to this sensitivity.

my insulin responses are pretty fucked in general.  going without certain foods can make me near-catatonic, and then finally getting what i needed can spruce everything back up almost instantly.  sometimes it takes ice cream, sometimes juice, sometimes only food or semi-solid sources can manage it.  i dont always know what i need, but sometimes the sugar reaction can contraindicate the usual miracle workers.

when i am having a severe sugar response, trying to do a bit of physical exercise or whatever can sometimes lessen the severity.  though our brains utilize a significant portion of our daily calories, heavy thinking does not really burn through the severity like movement does, and i can start feeling trapped if im just doing the same activity for a while and not moving around.

from 2005-2012, i spent 7 years taking 17 different psychotropic medications covering several classes.  i would be taking 3-7 medications at a time, and 6 out of the 17 medications listed below were maxed or overmaxed in clinical dosage before i moved on to trying the next unhelpful cocktail.

antidepressants (SSRIs, SNRIs, NDRIs, tetracyclics): zoloft, wellbutrin, effexor, lexapro, prozac, cymbalta, remeron
antipsychotics (atypical): abilify, zyprexa, risperdal, geodon
sleep aids (benzos, off-label antidepressants & antipsychotics, hypnotics): seroquel, temazepam, trazodone, ambien
anxiolytics: buspar
anticonvulsants: topamax

i tapered off all psychotropics from late 2011 through early 2013, one by one.  since quitting, ive been cycling through severe, disabling withdrawal symptoms spanning the gamut of the serious, less serious, and rather worrisome side effects of these assorted medications.  previous cross-tapering and medication or dosage changes had also caused undiagnosed withdrawal symptoms.

brainpan addlepation

InvisibleUnless points out something very important--all starches are converted to sugar, it might take just a bit longer (but not that much longer!). I've done quite a bit of blood sugar (blood glucose or BG) testing on myself, both fasting BG and after meal BG (high usually hits about 45 minutes after a meal). The results I've found are quite interesting, but it is clear that a lot of starch (e.g. a serving of rice) is going to give me very high readings. Even fruit sugars can really elevate BG if you take in enough of them (for instance a glass of fruit juice is killer). I've worked very hard over the last year to cut out sugar completely, and go very low carb, moderate protein and high fat. Fat is actually a great fuel to run the body on, and your brain is mostly made of fat, so you need the good fats!

One thing I've found is that my blood glucose is quite unstable and I get some very high readings. After some research, I've found that many of the ADs cause that blood sugar instability. So a little sugar goes a long way. After a high BG reading, a healthy pancreas is going to put out a ton of insulin. This will likely make you sleepy, as well as help put on weight. I've had much more stable energy levels and lost weight by cutting down carbs quite a bit (not calories!).

I also read with interest the original posting by Altostrata, in which she mentions BDNF. One of the best ways to raise BDNF is through fasting. Amazing regeneration happens when you fast. This might sound drastic to some, but it really isn't bad at all, especially if you already eat a fairly low carb diet, or Paleo type diet and aren't dependent on carbs. I often do 16/8 intermittent fasting during the week, which is a fancy way of saying I skip breakfast. If anyone is interested, I highly recommend looking into it.

Haven't even gone into AGEs--advanced glycation end products (yes, sugar related), but it's getting late.

1975--first signs of depression

1981--started on imipramine (Tofranil) for IBS and depression

1983-1986--severe depression, rotated through several drugs, on MAOI for one year, eventually back to tricyclics

1986-1994--chronic low grade depression, on tricyclics

1994-96--severe depression, rotated through several drugs inc. Prozax, Effexor, etc..

1996-2013--chronic low grade depression, SAD, on amitryptiline usual dose 12.5-25mg

flurazepam (Dalmane) as needed for insomnia

2013--developed temazepam (Restoril) dependance for 2 months, tapered off over 1 month

started bio-identical progesterone 5 mg., depression has lifted completely to this day

March 2016--forced to c/t both amitryptiline and flurazepam, zolpidem not helpful

reinstated small dose (.5 mg) amitryptiline due to stomach issues and tapering w/titration

June 19th--jumped from amitryptiline--drug free!

I went ct off effexor 4 years ago and lost about 50 pounds without effort; I no longer binged on sugary stuff - just didn't want to and didn't crave. I could eat a reasonable (whatever that means) amount of sweets and stop easily.

Over the past 3 years I have been on Lexapro and tapered off; now tapering off Zoloft. I have gained back about half the weight I lost; am due to be off Zoloft completely by the end of February. Still bingeing and craving a lot. Hoping this will decrease when i am totally off Z. like it did when I was off Effexor. I wonder now if it was going off ct (which I didn't know was so risky) that led to lessened bingeing, craving. The ads just don't seem to do much to help me feel better so I am planning to stay off them and hoping that sugar cravings will diminish like they have.

FM

I cut out all sugar and alcohol 7 weeks ago. 

(I was drinking about 1 standard drink of alcohol a day). 

It does make me feel better and I've lost 4 kilo of weight with out any cravings or problems. 

(10-12 kilo's to go to get to my target weight, though it is hard to exactly know what my target weight will be, haven't been there for a long time!). 

But... For me giving up sugar and alcohol certainly hasn't been a magic cure for either depression or SSRI withdrawal (at least not yet...) 

I'm still on 1 mg lexapro with 10 months to go to taper to 0. 

However, given weight gain is a significant symptom of both depression and SSRI use/discontinuation:

I'd certainly suggest people give it a go if they are in a space that allows them to do it. 

Personally I found giving up both sugar and alcohol together easiest as one can lead to another and they both hit the liver.

I don't eat as many carbs, but don't avoid them.

(And when I say giving up sugar I mean giving up sugar/HFCS/honey/fruit juice/fruit/packaged cereals and all the packaged foods that contain anything more than a tiny amount of them). 

I won't go into details as it has been done to death by other people online. Sarah Wilson is the Patron Saint here in Australia with her 'I quit sugar'. 

I found giving up cold turkey was best for me.

Cheers

Damien

Off all SSRIs as at November 2016.

Been on SSRIs (mainly Lexapro) for around 15 years.

failed attempts to go cold turkey before I got proper info on it.

Over last 2 years I've slowly gone from 20 mg Lexapro to 2.5 mg Lexapro.

on 25th Jan 2015 I've now moved to home made liquid Lexapro.

Plan is to drop roughly 0.2 mg per month over the next 1-2 years.  

25th Jan 2015 2.5 mg Lexapro liquid.

24th Mar 2016 1.0 mg lexapro (crushed tablet mixed and refilled into capsules)

Planned to be at 0.0 mg lexapro by about October 2016. 

I also take 50-100 mg modafinil per day, no short term plans of stopping/tapering modafinil but will re-evaluate after I'm off lexapro. 

• 5 years later...
  • Moderator Emeritus
On 2/16/2016 at 11:36 AM, MatGMax said:

(And when I say giving up sugar I mean giving up sugar/HFCS/honey/fruit juice/fruit/packaged cereals and all the packaged foods that contain anything more than a tiny amount of them). 

From https://www.responsiblefoods.org/sugar_names/

Fifty-six names for sugar: 
  1. Agave nectar* 
  2. Barbados sugar* 
  3. Barley malt 
  4. Beet sugar* 
  5. Blackstrap molasses* 
  6. Brown rice syrup* 
  7. Brown sugar* 
  8. Buttered syrup* 
  9. Cane juice crystals* 
  10. Cane sugar* 
  11. Caramel* 
  12. Carob syrup* 
  13. Castor sugar* 
  14. Confectioner’s sugar* 
  15. Corn syrup 
  16. Corn syrup solids 
  17. Crystalline fructose* 
  18. Date sugar* 
  19. Demerara sugar* 
  20. Dextran
  21. Dextrose 
  22. Diastatic malt 
  23. Diatase 
  24. Ethyl maltol 
  25. Evaporated cane juice* 
  26. Florida crystals* 
  27. Fructose* 
  28. Fruit juice* 
  29. Fruit juice concentrate* 
  30. Galactose 
  31. Glucose 
  32. Glucose solids 
  33. Golden sugar* 
  34. Golden syrup* 
  35. Grape sugar* 
  36. High-fructose corn syrup* 
  37. Honey* 
  38. Icing sugar* 
  39. Invert sugar* 
  40. Lactose 
  41. Malt syrup 
  42. Maltose
  43. Maple syrup* 
  44. Molasses* 
  45. Muscovado sugar* 
  46. Organic raw sugar* 
  47. Panocha* 
  48. Raw sugar* 
  49. Refiner’s syrup* 
  50. Rice syrup 
  51. Sorghum syrup* 
  52. Sucrose* 
  53. Sugar* 
  54. Treacle* 
  55. Turbinado sugar* 
  56. Yellow sugar* 
*Contains fructose

The FDA considers sugar to be any one of the following six compounds: glucose, galactose, fructose, maltose (glucose-glucose), lactose (glucose-galactose), and sucrose (glucose-fructose).

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• 1 year later...

I'm wondering if sugary products add to the cortisol spike when I wake up in the morning and that troubles me till at least mid afternoon.  As this is one of my most horrible WD symptoms I'd cut sugar out immediately if there was a connection. 

Prescribed for "help' with the legacy effects of untreated OCD which I had compounded over many years by self-medication with alcohol etc

mid-1990s - Gaminil - not actually taken;around 2010 - Citalopram - again not actually used

Sertraline - c2014/15 - max dose - stopped working; Citalopram - c2016/17; Escitalopram - c2017; Mirtazipine - c2018  

Fluoxetine - 2018 - stopped taking in short taper as recommended by GP 40 mg for a month down to 20 mg for a month. This stopped around 17/10/22. No noticeable issues until sometime between 6-11/11/22 when I thought I had contracted norovirus but which I realised had a psychological component, ie the worst depression and anxiety I've ever known, rushing pulses in head (not really 'zaps' in my case), aches in limbs - in retrospect the gastric problems look like physical withdrawals (and not a virus at all). Have used prn diazepam at various times during last 20 years. Used sparingly but up to twice a week since WDs started - either 5mg or less per dose.

Physical symptoms dispersed relatively quickly but emotional issues (depression, anxiety, agitation, OCD) are present 100% of the time. 

22nd Dec reinstated 2mg fluoxetine

24th Dec altered amount of reinstatement to 1mg because of possible hypersensitive nervous system

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy