alexxxx22: healing and weaning from taking risperidone

alexxxx22

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello Alex, I was a little worried about your skipping doses as it's known to cause worsening w/d symptoms.  I copied this from the Risperidone thread, but you may like to read the whole thing for more detail:

From http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1716-tips-for-tapering-off-risperdal-risperidone/

As with other psychiatric drugs, do not taper Risperdal by taking a dose every other day! This causes a fluctuating level of the drug in your nervous system and can make you very sick.

To minimize the risk of withdrawal symptoms, we recommend a conservative taper of 10% from the previous dosage every few weeks. The amount of the decrease keeps getting smaller. Some people find they can go faster and some people find they have to go slower -- they can only tolerate decreases of a fraction of a milligram at a time. See Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

Micro-tapering: four weekly 0.4% cuts, hold 4 weeks (struggling with symptoms).

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.
Supplements: Fish oil, vitamin C, iron, oat-straw tea, nettle tea.

2023 December - Now on 5 micro-beads Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops. Symptoms begin to increase.

2024 April - Updosed to 6 microbeads - immediate increase in symptoms for 4 days. Decreased to 5 microbeads.

'The possibility of renewal exists so long as life exists.'  Dr Gabor Mate.

• 2 months later...

Thank you I have actually not had any flue like symptoms what so ever and I have to only take it 3 more times once a week until I stop fully

Taking risperidone for the past 5 months which caused my appetite to disapear completly (October 20th - March 22nd) as of the 22nd of march I have slowly began weaning off of it by taking 0.25mg pill once daily. On the 4th of April 2016 I cut back to 0.22mg On April 5th I did not take a pill. For two weeks I will be taking my pill every other day. Then I will began taking my pill every two days for two weeks and after the two weeks it will be cut back to every third day then every fourth day and all the way down to once a week. I will stay at once a week for two or three weeks before I stop completely this will take me through to the end of June.

okay so i have an update. i am now down to taking the 0.25 risperidone every 4 days and I am feeling alot better getting off it. Now when I take the pill it makes me sleepy and gives me the chills a little bit but other than that my sex drive is coming back so im happy about that. :)

wait..... your sex drive came back already?

Took RISPOND (RISPERIDONE) 1mg twice daily (morning and night) for 3 months along with Dayo OD 500 at night. Quit cold turkey of all meds in feb 29, 2016. Its been 4 months off the meds now!( as of 29 June, 2016)

Intense withdrawal effect. Not able to focus on something completely. Some memory problems. Passion for everything has died. Everything has to be done forcefully. No enjoyment in listening to a song or watching a movie. Everything seems pointless. Zero libido. Lost the desire and ability to fall in love. Emotions are withdrawn.

its been a while now, taking 2-3 meds in morning and evening. I'll update it tomorrow.
28/03/2017

• 4 weeks later...

okay so i have an update. i am now down to taking the 0.25 risperidone every 4 days and I am feeling alot better getting off it. Now when I take the pill it makes me sleepy and gives me the chills a little bit but other than that my sex drive is coming back so im happy about that. :)

deadpool, i think coming off cold turkey like we did makes it harder to recover sex drive and other symptoms. perhaps coming off slowly is better.

In March 2016 i suffered from a paranoia/schizophrenic episode which resulted in me taking risperidone/risperdal 3mg for about 3 weeks along with a couple 7mg long acting injections.  i had an intense withdrawal after stopping cold turkey and i have been off risperidone ever since then.

deadpool, i think coming off cold turkey like we did makes it harder to recover sex drive and other symptoms. perhaps coming off slowly is better.

but how long does we have to wait bro? :blink:

Took RISPOND (RISPERIDONE) 1mg twice daily (morning and night) for 3 months along with Dayo OD 500 at night. Quit cold turkey of all meds in feb 29, 2016. Its been 4 months off the meds now!( as of 29 June, 2016)

Intense withdrawal effect. Not able to focus on something completely. Some memory problems. Passion for everything has died. Everything has to be done forcefully. No enjoyment in listening to a song or watching a movie. Everything seems pointless. Zero libido. Lost the desire and ability to fall in love. Emotions are withdrawn.

its been a while now, taking 2-3 meds in morning and evening. I'll update it tomorrow.
28/03/2017

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Hello everyone since I've been here responding to a couple messages from different people I wanted to give an update it's been almost a year since I stopped taking the medication risperidone.

And mostly all of the side effects have diminished now I'm definitely not lactating anymore which is amazing and my libido is normal again.

So anyway I just want to say to anyone who is dealing with a lot of stress that includes filling their time to the brim and keeping themselves busy all the time this can cause stress when your already busy in your life. It's important more than anything to be able to settle down and give yourself time to be in your natural element which means not stressing oneself silly by filling every inch of the day with technology or information.. this causes the human lots of stress because of the overload of information and technology is always going to bombard the brain with a lot of information so it's important to balance that activity.

A day only has 24 hours and I have found that it's very important to learn to budget time in healthy ways that can support emotional mental well-being. This is an ever evolving practice that we are all working on throughout our life times.

If an over abundance of stress is what caused you to wind up dealing with risperidone or have similar experiences to mine I'm just here to send you a hopeful message don't worry things will get better when you eventually taper off the medication and when you begin to take supplements and focus on living a healthy balanced life.

Good luck and thank you everyone for your lovely support I'm greatful for the assistance and for all your hopeful messages !

Edited by scallywag
added paragraph breaks for readability

Taking risperidone for the past 5 months which caused my appetite to disapear completly (October 20th - March 22nd) as of the 22nd of march I have slowly began weaning off of it by taking 0.25mg pill once daily. On the 4th of April 2016 I cut back to 0.22mg On April 5th I did not take a pill. For two weeks I will be taking my pill every other day. Then I will began taking my pill every two days for two weeks and after the two weeks it will be cut back to every third day then every fourth day and all the way down to once a week. I will stay at once a week for two or three weeks before I stop completely this will take me through to the end of June.

hi alex...did your emotions come back fully as well? Happy that you selfback ...can you describe more of how your emotions came back? Thx :)

3 weeks on haloperidol

1.5 months on seroquel

1.5 months on triftazin or so I cant rember very good.That was the medication last year in the beggining of 2016 then I left cols turkey then after a year again on risperdal 1 month on 4 mg then 2 months on 2 mg at the day and wanna quit cold turkey

• 3 years later...
  • Administrator

Hello, @alexxxx22, how are you doing?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.