Janet: Stopping fluoxetine

Janet

I was prescribed 20mg fluoxtine to help with withdrawal symptoms when stopping use of .50mg alprazolam.

I have been off the benzo for a year now but the psychiatrist I was seeing said that I should continue to take fluoxetine as she though that I had depression and would need to take it for the rest of my life.  After 17 months use I do not agree with her! I feel like a zombie most of the time and do not have much pleasure in life. I would like to stop taking the drug.

I have read all the guidelines etc. and understand what it will entail but wonder if anyone could give me some clear instructions please? I am 76 years old and so not quite as sharp as I used to be!!

I would like to know exactly what amount/strength of liquid fluoxetine to ask my doctor to prescribe

What should I ask my pharmacist for to use the liquid?

What schedule should I use, I am currently taking a 20mg capsule daily.

Any help/advice would be much appreciated

Tapered off 5 years use of .50mg Alprazolam (last dose March 2015)

Was prescribed 20mg Fluoxetine daily to help with withdrawal symptoms (rather than to treat depression) Been taking for 16 months but do not think I need it any more and want to taper off

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Janet , welcome to the site.

Please read this thread on "Tips For Tapering Fluoxetine" http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/759-tips-for-tapering-off-prozac-fluoxetine/?hl=fluoxetine

From this thread:

Using fluoxetine liquid to taper

This is by far the easiest way to taper by very small amounts. It comes in a concentation of 20mg fluoxetine in 5mL of liquid, meaning there is 4mg of fluoxetine in 1mL. If you are taking 10mg Prozac now, the liquid equivalent would 2.5mL. If you want to take 9mg of Prozac, you would take 2.25mL of the liquid.

Always check the concentration of the liquid you get as it can vary among manufacturers, and adjust your calculations accordingly.

If your fluoxetine liquid contains 20mg fluoxetine in 5mL of liquid:

1 mL= 4mg

0.5mL = 2mg

0.25mL = 1mg

0.2ml = 0.8mg

You will need an oral syringe to measure out your dose of the liquid.

Making your own Prozac liquid

Prozac is one of the few psychiatric medications with a long history of do-it-yourself dilution in water or juice. Mixed in cranberry juice, it's been called "Cranzac."

My own personal preference would be to dilute it with water, to avoid any degradation that might be caused by sugar or acid in the juice. Also, it will be easier to see how well the Prozac is dissolved in water. (There may be particles swirling around, that's the filler in the Prozac capsule that doesn't dissolve.)

Your Prozac solution may be a little bitter -- just swallow it quickly. You might want to chase it with a little fruit juice.

There are instructions for DIY Prozac solution here: http://depression.ab.../ht/cranzac.htm

Read through the whole topic and come back here with any questions.

Good to have you on board , Fresh

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

Thank you for prompt response but I HAVE read through all the topics , understood what needs to be done but was looking for more specific details. I do not want to start dissolving capsules and would prefer to use a liquid but do not know what to ask my doctor to prescribe and my ageing brain needs a sort of "words of one syllable " as to how to taper from my dose of 20mgs!

Tapered off 5 years use of .50mg Alprazolam (last dose March 2015)

Was prescribed 20mg Fluoxetine daily to help with withdrawal symptoms (rather than to treat depression) Been taking for 16 months but do not think I need it any more and want to taper off

• Moderator Emeritus

If you follow the recommended maximum 10% drop , your first decrease will be to 18mg. Hold there for 4 weeks.

If your symptoms have resolved , your next drop will be 18mg minus 1.8mg i.e. 16.2mg Hold for 4 to 6 weeks till all symptoms have resolved.

Your next drop will be to 16.2mg minus 1.6 , i.e. 14.6mg

I'm sure someone can help you work out each drop as you go.

" It comes in a concentation of 20mg fluoxetine in 5mL of liquid, meaning there is 4mg of fluoxetine in 1mL. "

Ask for this one. It doesn't matter if you get a different one , we can work out the equivalent of 18mg once you get it.

Some people have problems switching to liquid because it gets absorbed quicker. We suggest taking half your dose in tablets and half in liquid to make

the transition smoother. Also , transfer completely to 20mg dose in liquid before decreasing at all. Just one change at a time.

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg