willnorthwest: what is the best manufacturer of paroxetine?

willnorthwest

I have been on paxil since 2002. Originally, I was using GSK name brand Paxil, and throughout the years I have used Teva brand, Apotex, and currently Zydus brand. I take 25mg each night, so I take a 20mg pill along with a split 10mg pill. I have been on this current brand (Zydus) for awhile now as well as my current dosage. I have just started to notice, however, that ive been feeling a little more down lately than usual, with a good bit of anxiety as well. My question is; Is it possible that I have recieved a bad batch of paxil from my most recent prescription? I haven't changed a thing from my normal protocal, yet I am experiencing old symptoms. Also, is it still possible to get GlaxoSmithKline brand paxil? I'm starting to wonder about the effectiveness of the generics compared to the name brand

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Will and welcome to SA,

Believe or not, Your Drug May Be Your Problem.  I suggest you read this book by Dr Peter Breggin.  Click on the book title link, right click on GREEN download button (top right) and save as.  See especially from P.52.  I think you will be surprised.

Here's a link generic-vs-brand-versions-of-antidepressants/

Please note that SA's aim is NOT to force people to go off their ADs, but to provide the support and information to be able to do so as safely as possible.  This site recommends a 10% taper of the previous dose followed by a 4-6 week hold to allow the brain to adapt to not getting as much of the drug.

Introduction to AD Withdrawal Syndrome

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

Tips for tapering off Paxil (paroxetine)

You might also be interested in this:

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Antidepressants and the Placebo Effect by Irving Kirsch (link to full article)

Abstract:

Antidepressants are supposed to work by fixing a chemical imbalance, specifically, a lack of serotonin in the brain.  Indeed, their supposed effectiveness is the primary evidence for the chemical imbalance theory.  But analyses of the published data and the unpublished data that were hidden by drug companies reveals that most (if not all) of the benefits are due to the placebo effect.  Some antidepressants increase serotonin levels, some decrease it, and some have no effect at all on serotonin.  Nevertheless, they all show the same therapeutic benefit.  Even the small statistical difference between antidepressants and placebos may be an enhanced placebo effect, due to the fact that most patients and doctors in clinical trials successfully break blind.  The serotonin theory is as close as any theory in the history of science to having been proved wrong.  Instead of curing depression, popular antidepressants may induce a biological vulnerability making people more likely to become depressed in the future.

Excerpt:

How Did These Drugs Get Approved?

The FDA requires two adequately conducted clinical trials showing a significant difference between drug and placebo.  But there is a loophole:  there is no limit to the number of trials that can be conducted in search of these two significant trials.  Trials showing negative results simply do not count.  Furthermore, the clinical significance of the findings is not considered.  All that matters is that the results are statistically significant.

(NB:  emphasis in abstract and excerpt are mine)

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

I suggest you Please put your Withdrawal History in Signature OR Complete your Signature from Phone or Tablet  Include ALL drugs your are taking with drug, date, dose and how you decreased/increased.  Having this information will help the staff to offer suggestions based on your individual situation if you decide you want to taper.

You are welcome to ask questions here in your Intro/Update topic.  Click FOLLOW (top right) and you will be notified when someone responds.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Moderator Emeritus

H WillNW, 

So, I don't have an answer about brands, etc., though it is possible the manufacturer made a change with the filler used, but what I am wondering is how long have you been at this dose? Have you done any tapering?

If you have been on the same dose for a long time, it is possible you are experiencing "poop-out."  Basically you begin to experience withdrawal symptoms, often anxiety and depression, despite being on the same amount of drug for a long period of time. It is a sign that the drug is no longer "working."  Most patients see their doctor at this time and he increases the dosage to overcome the poop-out, but that usually only lasts for awhile before poop-out happens again, but now you are on an even higher dose to come off of, which is really the only solution.  The next step is that the doctor will prescribe another AD, usually doing a direct swtich with no cross taper, and that will run the now highly sensitized patient into all kinds of trouble!  Now you've got cold-turkey withdrawal from the old drug compounded by start-up symptoms of the new drug which may actual include adverse reactions since the nervous system is so sensitized that it can't tolerate new drugs.   It's a dangerous game to get into.  We've seen people come here with such scenarios over and over here on SA.

So, it would be really helpful if you could fill in your signature block with drug history, any and all drugs you are on or had been on with dates to the best of your ability.  This allows everyone who visits your Intro to see your history at a glance.  You can use your Intro thread as a place to ask questions and give updates.  Bookmark your intro so you can access it easily.  By clicking "Follow" above, you will be notified anytime someone responds on your thread.  Here are the instructions for filling out your signature:

Please put your Withdrawal History in Signature

SG

Started ADs back around 1995 after bad break-up, starting with Prozac.  Switched to Wellbutrin, and then to Effexor in 2002
Effexor XR 2002-2014 up to 225 mg at one point, down to 37.5 mg towards end but back up to 75 mg in 2014; now realize I had W/D as I dropped down, memory very poor about history.  Extreme emotions, poor concentration as I stepped back down, didn't connect the dots!
Summer 2014 reduced to 0 very quickly, was sick of anhedonia/sexual dysfunction due to meds, depression never controlled if not worse. Didn't recognize WD since symptoms built slowly (thought I had ADD! and menopausal on top of it), starting with severe sweats, very bad cog-fog and memory issues, culminating in weight loss, severe anxiety and depression, panic, severe apathy and insomnia by eight months off.  Saw p-doc who put me on Remeron, increased from 7.5 mg/day to 37.5 mg by May 22, 2015; still doing very badly though able to sleep.

June 1. 2015 Reinstated Effexor XR 37.5 mg, Remeron dropped to 30 mg PM. Immediate relief of symptoms, like nothing had ever happened!  Joined SA and began on advice of friend who recognized it was WD all along! Began tapering in July 2015.

Been tapering both meds ever since, focusing on one more than the other or doing no more than 5% of each per month.

12 mg Effexor and 5.8 mg Remeron (mirtazapine SolTabs to make a solution with OraPlus) as of 5/4/2017 

Update 3/14/18: 2.9 mg Remeron and 6 mg Effexor; 6/10/18:  2.6 mg Remeron and 4.9 mg Effexor

My intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/9313-squirrellygirl-effexor-withdrawal-etc/page-2#entry196679

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

• Moderator Emeritus

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management