LuiB: tapering off Invega Sustenna and other drugs

LuiB

Yes, from what I have read in Peter Lehmann's book, people quit cold turkey their tablets. 

Do you think that the withdrawal effects would be too severe for me to be able to cope with? 

Yes, this current experience is undoubtedly different than my last two tries. 

This is just one drug that I am coming off of and there are no mood stabilizers to worry about, thankfully. 

I feel confident at this time around as I am making sure that I remain calm. I am being more and more aware of the present moment especially keeping up with my Meditation practice. 

I am in contact with individuals on a similar journey and have joined groups on Facebook such as MindFreedom and the Icarus Project and Drop the Diagnosis. 

They are very helpful and I've got a transpersonal psychotherapist that is supportive of me getting off the drugs asap. 

I mean, given this information, it should be safe to say that I could, perhaps, with a little more contemplation on the issue, possibly quit taking the depot at some point without switching to another drug for a "bridge". 

I mean, given that my coping strategies are well thought out. Would you still not say so, Altostrata? 

Taking 1050mg of Lithium, 1500mg of Devalproex Sodium, 75mg of Invega Sustenna injection once a month (This has been weened down twice- once from 150mg to 100mg in February '16 and 100mg to 75mg in August). The reason I ween this down more than 10% at a time is because it comes in an injection form and in set dosages.

I also take Vitamin B, C, Rhodiola, and Omega 3.

Check out my YouTube Channel for my rants on weaning off drugs.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LuiB

• Altostrata

• Shep

• JanCarol

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrator

I cannot predict what will happen, that is why I suggest to people they make very small, gradual changes and not take a lot of risks.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

I went through some withdrawal yesterday and today. 

Not nearly near as bad as what I went through previously. 

A lot of non ordinary states of consciousness and needing to sleep a lot again. 

Taking 1050mg of Lithium, 1500mg of Devalproex Sodium, 75mg of Invega Sustenna injection once a month (This has been weened down twice- once from 150mg to 100mg in February '16 and 100mg to 75mg in August). The reason I ween this down more than 10% at a time is because it comes in an injection form and in set dosages.

• 4 weeks later...

@Altostrata

I'm in a pickle.

I went to see a new psychiatrist for the first time today. I was told that she is understanding of the recovery movement and doesn't push drugs as much.

She was keen on helping me out and to get me off of the drugs.

She didn't like the idea of switching to risperidone and instead suggested that i switch to the pill form and taper off that.

Typically, she did like what most other psychiatrists I have read about and had made a tapering schedule that was too quick, even after she slowed things down for me after i told her that the initial schedule was too quick (instead of tapering every 14 days as you can see in the schedule below it was 7 days).

To add insult on top of injury she assured me that the tablets were NOT extended release and told me that the best way to taper was to do pill splitting and skip doses (take half a pill every other day)

The exact schedule looks like this:-

Full tab every evening for 14 days

1/2 tab every evening for 14 days

1/2 tab every other day for 14 days

then stop.

I still have a prescription for a 50mg Invega Sustenna depot.

My next appointment with the psychiatrist is in 3 weeks.

Keep in mind that I have the option of giving myself a partial dose of the shot. That may be hard to prolong due to the fact that I will most likely not be visiting my GP (who prescribed the depot) anymore.

I have no idea what to do, I left her office feeling good, but now, a few hours later, I kind of realize that the setup I have is kind of bad...

Please Advise

• 2 weeks later...

I gave the injection to myself yesterday. My plan was to only take 50-60% but ended up taking around 90%.

The pharmacist confirmed that the Invega oral tablets should NOT be cut.

Hence, the psychiatrist was wrong.

I will be making sure that the Invega depot does or does not come in 25mg. The pamphlet I get with the box says that a 25mg depot exists. Yet the pharmacist checked numerous times and couldn't find it.

I will be asking him to check again and if perhaps it comes as a special order or something.

If that depot does not exist, my other option would be to get the depot again at 50mg if the psychiatrist would allow me to give it to myself, and just take half the dose this time.

The other option would be to go the Risperidone Liquid route.

Options:-

Option #1 - 25mg depot if available

Option #2 - 50mg depot at 50% contents

Option #3 - Liquid Risperidone

• 1 year later...

@LuiB - Your story is quite interesting, as I also take Invega! 

How are you doing now? Have you managed to taper off, and stay off these drugs? How were you covering your bills for the acupuncturist, naturopath, and psychotherapist? 

How were you managing go undetected and skip injections? How were you able to convince your prescribers to give you smaller doses, such as 150 mg, 100 mg, and 75 mg, despite doctors wanting to put you back on a higher dose? Had you been financially self-supporting throughout the process?

Unfortunately, I've felt stuck and trapped for many years (also with a label of SZ). But your posts really help including your comments about moving to a new city to find someone willing to work with you. I hadn't really thought of that before ...

I'd appreciate any helpful insights that you might share.

Thanks!

• 1 year later...

Did you experience any problems getting off Valporic acid? I try to decide what to take for a mixed state.  Lithium, olanzapin or valproate 

23.2 bipolar mixed state

900mg Lithium for 3 weeks

gabapentin 100 three timesa day it was discontinued after 5 days so i took one or 2 pills for another 5 

zopiclone for 8 days ( 7.5mg one time 15). 

I left the hospital, 8 zopi at home

I took ativan (22 in total, 2 days in between)

• 1 year later...

Hi @LuiB,

Thanks for sharing your story and thoughts.

Wondering if you have any updates you would care to share?

Cheers,

hayduke

I am not a health professional - your actions are your own.  

Please do not seek tapering support via private message - "Any reason to hold is a good one"

My taper visualised as a graph   |   My intro thread

Backdrop:  2003 10mg olanzapine | 2004 2-3mg risperidone | end 2014 3wks aripiprazole

2015: olanzapine  10 -> 7½ -> 6⅔ -> 5mg  by crude pill cutter

2018:  Mar 5.00mg -> water titrated taper -> Aug2.5mg tablet and hold

Jan 2019 2.50mg water titration -> Jan 2020 1.214  -> Jan 2021 0.44 -> 2 Oct 0.205 ->3 Oct ZERO🥂

Jun 2023 💉150mg paliperidone "loading" depot shot, 100mg 1wk after Jul 100mg Aug-Dec 75mg/4wks

Jul 2023 2.50mg aripiprazole/day attempt to lower prolactin^

Jan-Feb 2024 cross taper off shots to 1mg risperidone

Ask not what you can do for your country, but what your country did to you"  -- KMFDM