Eliza14: Which should I taper first ... Wellbutrin or Geodon?

Eliza14

I just joined this forum after reading Will Hall's book. Here is my introduction and my challenge. I am terrified and am hoping this site will help me through the next phase of my recovery.

I have struggled since May 2015 with anxiety and subsequent depression which I feel was created by antipsychotics. From May 2015 to April 2016 my psychiatrist tried one anti-psychotic after another, switching me from one to another with any tapering, and I suffered side effects from all of them. In April 2016 I was on Zyprexa, which caused so much drowsiness and depression that I decided to taper off it slowly using a liquid which I got from a compounding pharmacist. I spent five months tapering off 1.25 milligrams. Depression lifted, but anxiety returned. I recently ended up in the hospital for the acute panic and anxiety, and the doctors there put me on Geodon (20 mg 1x daily) and switched my antidepressant from Lexapro to Wellbutrin without a taper. Needless to say, I am feeling horrible. I know I am having withdrawal from 20 mg Lexapro, and I want to get off of Geodon and Wellbutrin because they are making me feel horrible as well. I have decided I want to stop all medications so that my brain can adjust to what it has been most of my life - somewhat anxious and prone to mild depression, but not the mess it has become through all of the drug trials. My nurse practitioner who helped me get off Zyprexa is supportive of my decision, as I am enrolled in a DBT clinic with peer support, a therapist, and her support with meds.

April - September 2016: Zyprexa taper from 1.75 mg using compounded liquid

November 2016: hospital took me off 20 mg Lexapro and put me on Wellbutrin (no taper)

November 2016: hospital added 20 mg Geodon nightly (1x daily)

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi, Eliza.

Welcome to Surviving Antidepressants (SA).

It sounds like you've been on a lot of drugs with a lot of changes.

Two questions -

• were you on any psychiatric drugs prior to April 2016? 
  • are Geodon and Wellbutrin your only two drugs now? 

You may want to come off the Wellbutrin before the Geodon, depending on how these drugs affect you. Here's more information on knowing which drug to taper first:

Taking multiple psych drugs? Which drug to taper first?

And here's information on tapering off both Geodon and Wellbutrin:

Tips for tapering off ziprasidone (Geodon, Zeldox)

Tips for tapering off Wellbutrin, SR, XR, XL (buproprion)

And some general information on withdrawal:

What is withdrawal syndrome? 

The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

Brain Remodelling

Once we get more information, we'll be able to offer more advice and information.

After you have a read, please let us know if you have any questions.

This thread is where you can list your symptoms and ask plenty of questions. I'm glad you found us for information and support. 

• 1 year later...

Eliza how are you these days?

Thought for the day: Lets stand up, and let’s speak out , together. G Olsen

We have until the 14th. Feb 2018. 

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

http://www.parliament.scot/GettingInvolved/Petitions/PE01651   

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

• ChessieCat changed the title to Eliza14: Which should I taper first ... Wellbutrin or Geodon?