Doctor Joanna Moncrieff on drug mechanisms of action/withdrawal.,

Petunia

• Moderator Emeritus

An interview with  Doctor Joanna Moncrieff.

http://jfmoore.libsyn.com/episode-17-doctor-joanna-moncrieff-on-psychiatric-drug-mechanisms-of-action-antidepressantantipsychotic-withdrawal-and-the-radar-study-1

Issues discussed in the interview:

• How Dr. Moncrieff became interested in Psychiatry
  • That, while working as a junior Psychiatrist, Dr. Moncrieff came to realise the dominance of drugs as a psychiatric treatment
  • Why Dr. Moncrieff founded the Critical Psychiatry Network
  • That it is often difficult to challenge the status quo in Psychiatry
  • Dr. Moncrieff’s work to formulate a drug centred model as an explanation of how drugs work in the body and the comparison to a disease centred model
  • How the chemical imbalance theory of depression is not supported by evidence
  • That psychiatric drugs are mind altering substances in themselves, in other words they alter normal thinking, emotion and behaviour  
  • That much of the research over the decades has ignored the fact that these drugs alter the way that people feel and behave
  • That these drug-induced effects in themselves mean that placebo controlled trials cannot demonstrate that drugs target an underlying biological problem
  • Psychiatric drugs are not sophisticated or targeted treatments for mental illnesses, their effects are general in natureHow patients tend to stay on the drugs because withdrawal is difficult or they feel they may struggle without the effect of the drug
  • As a general principle, people should take the minimum dosage of these drugs for the shortest possible time
  • How case studies of people who have struggled with withdrawal are very important to demonstrate the difficulties and to help with guidance and support
  • How psychiatric drugs cause adaptations in the brain as the brain moves to compensate for the effects of the drug and that this compensation is often responsible for withdrawal effects when the drug is stopped
  • The RADAR study (Research into Antipsychotic Discontinuation and Reduction) which looks at long term use of antipsychotic drugs and provides support to gradually withdraw users from their drugs
  • How this study will both help patients withdraw and also build up experience and knowledge to help others in future
  • The concerns around long term use of antipsychotics and possible harm to the brain

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

• Moderator Emeritus

Really good podcast, thank you Petunia. 

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy