addystu: Intro

addystu

Hello all!  

I started taking AD's when I was 17 years old.. over 20 years ago for GAD and depression.  It all started when I was recovering from a case of mono, and WHAM I experienced a panic attack in typing class at my high school.  My mom took me to our family physician, and he gave me a 10 question quiz about depression.  I filled it out, and he wrote me a script for prozac.  Just like that.  Ever since, I have been dependent on my AD's.  I tried to go off of them a couple times, but never successfully.  I just figured this was a life sentence and I will need to be on my citalopram 40mg for the rest of my life.  However, I'm just not sure if this is the best thing for me.... I am here to gather more information.  While I have a good life, and my emotions are controlled... and I don't experience panic anymore, I'm just not sure. I experience a lot of "brain fog", sluggishness, and difficulty putting my thoughts into words when speaking to people.  I don't know  if this is the result of years being medicated, damage to my brain, or just the fact that I am a 40 year old mom of 3 who is worn down.  

Is there anyone on this board who has done a successful withdrawal after 10 or more years on AD's?  I am throwing around the idea of starting a 2 year long taper... I have two friends currently going through HORRIBLE withdrawal/reinstatement of AD's.  Both have been suffering since early summer.  I just feel in my gut that these drugs are good for a time and place, but they are not meant for long term use.... I feel that there are underlying issues that need to be examined and treated before these drugs are started.  

I'm excited to be here and looking forward to hearing everyone's stories and gathering more info.  :)

1994 (age 17) diagnosed with GAD/depression after illness with Mono and experiencing panic attacks. 

1994-2015: Prozac (do not recall dosage)

2005-2012: 40 mg Citalopram

March 2012: cross-taper to Zoloft attempted due to pregnancy, unsuccessful 

July 2012: 20 mg Citalopram reinstated

April-July 2013: 3 month taper attempted off Citalopram

July 2013:  reinstatement of Citalopram after protracted withdraw hit hard

July 2013- Current: 40 mg citalopram

• ChessieCat changed the title to addystu: Intro

Hi Addy. It's great that you found us when you did, well before tapering. There is a lot of information here, as well as friendly help and support. Many of us were told we needed to be on the drugs for life but that is really just a marketing ploy, coming primarily from the drug companies and administered by doctors. They are both after life - long customers.

Can I ask you to to fill out your signature so that we have access to a brief version of your drug history whenever you post. Please follow the directions at the link below :

Please put your withdrawal history in your signature

You are in the enviable position of not only questioning the drugs worth but also having access to the information provided through this site and doing it pre- taper.

Psychiatric diagnoses are little more than medical sounding labels attached to clusters of symptoms which occasionally respond favorably to various drugs. None of these psychiatric illness are real, scientifically provable, medical illnesses and the labels assigned to them are useful only for health insurance purposes and to prompt your doctor about which drug to try next if the previous one didn't 'work'. Unfortunately, not only do they often not work, but they cause more harm, which is exacerbated by the use of even more drugs in an attempt to suppress an increasing array of new symptoms, which are blamed on an original illness which never existed in the first place, or an allocated new illness to justify a trial of a new drug.

You have a realistic view of the length of time it may take to taper, which is a bonus. The symptoms you're experiencing are, in my view not aging but due to medication. I would recommend reading Robert Whitaker's book ~ " Anatomy Of An Epidemic" as it speaks to the debilitating long term effects of these drugs. There are also You - Tube videos : Psych drugs Harm - pt 1& 2.( Robert Whitaker)

I'm going to post some relevant links: please read through them and then come back here to your thread with any questions or comments. This is your thread to journal / ask questions and interact with the SA community.

What is withdrawal syndrome?

Brain Remodelling

Healing from antidepressants. Patterns of recovery/

Welcome to SA,

Ali

Edited by AliG
spacing

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

Psych Drug - free since May 2014

Welcome Addy,

Your story is very much like mine.  Both put on meds for the wrong reasons, being led to believe they are a life sentence.  Like you, I found this site long before I started tapering and was in a very stable position to start my journey.  Just want to encourage you that it's completely possible to wean of these drugs successfully.  Following the advice here I've been able to reduce to 50% of my original dose without any harm and still doing excellent.  IMO patience is the key to a successful taper.  I wish you well on your journey :)

Rob.

April 26th - 36.5>32.8mg Z.

Feb 4th - 40.5>36.5mg Zoloft.

Jan 5th - 45>40.5mg Zoloft.

Dec 6th - 50>45mg Zoloft.

Nov 1st - 53>50.0mg Zoloft. Sep 22/17 - 50.0>53.0mg Zoloft. Sep 18/17 - 59.0>50.0mg Zoloft.

Aug 7/17 - 65.6>59.0mg  July 18/17 - 72.9>65.6mg. June 18/17 - 81>72.9mg 

May 28/17 - 90>81mg.  May 8/17:  Started my taper. 100>90mg

1995 to May 8/17:  100mg Zoloft/day.  Working well but suspecting some signs of Tolerance this past year.

4/5/17:  Started Testosterone Replacement Therapy via T pellet insertion.  Diagnosed with Secondary Hypogonadism.

Supplements:  1000mg fish oil, 10,000iu Vit D3 with K2, 400mg Magnesium.

5 hours ago, AliG said:

Psychiatric diagnoses are little more than medical sounding labels attached to clusters of symptoms which occasionally respond favorably to various drugs. None of these psychiatric illness are real, scientifically provable, medical illnesses and the labels assigned to them are useful only for health insurance purposes and to prompt your doctor about which drug to try next if the previous one didn't 'work'. Unfortunately, not only do they often not work, but they cause more harm, which is exacerbated by the use of even more drugs in an attempt to suppress an increasing array of new symptoms, which are blamed on an original illness which never existed in the first place, or an allocated new illness to justify a trial of a new drug.

This!!  One of the most profound statements about Ad's I've ever read.  Thank You! 

April 26th - 36.5>32.8mg Z.

Feb 4th - 40.5>36.5mg Zoloft.

Jan 5th - 45>40.5mg Zoloft.

Dec 6th - 50>45mg Zoloft.

Nov 1st - 53>50.0mg Zoloft. Sep 22/17 - 50.0>53.0mg Zoloft. Sep 18/17 - 59.0>50.0mg Zoloft.

Aug 7/17 - 65.6>59.0mg  July 18/17 - 72.9>65.6mg. June 18/17 - 81>72.9mg 

May 28/17 - 90>81mg.  May 8/17:  Started my taper. 100>90mg

1995 to May 8/17:  100mg Zoloft/day.  Working well but suspecting some signs of Tolerance this past year.

4/5/17:  Started Testosterone Replacement Therapy via T pellet insertion.  Diagnosed with Secondary Hypogonadism.

Supplements:  1000mg fish oil, 10,000iu Vit D3 with K2, 400mg Magnesium.

Thank you soooo much for your responses!  AliG, you give me so much hope.  I am so glad I found this site!!!

1994 (age 17) diagnosed with GAD/depression after illness with Mono and experiencing panic attacks. 

1994-2015: Prozac (do not recall dosage)

2005-2012: 40 mg Citalopram

March 2012: cross-taper to Zoloft attempted due to pregnancy, unsuccessful 

July 2012: 20 mg Citalopram reinstated

April-July 2013: 3 month taper attempted off Citalopram

July 2013:  reinstatement of Citalopram after protracted withdraw hit hard

July 2013- Current: 40 mg citalopram