Needhelp

Hello, here for support and advice.  

Insomnia came on gradually. Sleeping less, waking earlier. My hubby got laid off from his job, my cousin died & found out I needed a rootcanal with no dental insurance. I was in a tail spin. 

I had taken Paxil since 2002 & suspected it was pooping out on me & was having withdrawal symptoms even being on the drug.

The insomnia got worse. Dr. prescribed Ambien but I took it at couple of times. The 2nd time I didn’t sleep at all. Also on Keflex for the root canal and it can cause anxiety.

I had been tapering paxil over time, alternating days of 20 and 10 but when all these things happened, I thought I should take 20 again daily just to get through.  Then my dr. upped it to 30.  Big mistake! 

I landed in the hospital with possible serotine syndrome/sleep deprivation.  All they did was lay me out with a big dose of Ativan.

I did sleep and that was probably the last night I had a significant sleep.  The Dr. there discontinued the Paxil & told me to take Prozac.  One of the worse side effects is insomnia and I quit the Prozac…was also suffering terrible Paxil withdrawal with involuntary movements, anxiety, insomnia.

The only relief is an Ativan which I am afraid to take because of the addictive properties but sometimes I get so desperate.

My dr. gave me Trazadone to sleep.  Worked for a few hours only.  Then she reinstated me on the Paxil (smaller does) because of the withdrawal & those two together raise the risk for serotonin syndrome.

I’ve continued to have symptoms, not sure if I am still withdrawing or if even a smaller does is heading me back to serotonin syndrome.  I have bad involuntary muscle movements.

For sleep, my dr. also tried hydroxyzine. Not very effective.

I am at my wits end.  I am trying to get over my fears of addiction to some meds as it might be better to be addicted than a nonfunctioning mess.

When I get a little sleep, I can think more clearly.  I need help badly.  I had heard of Restoril.  Scared of it but probably need it.

That’s my dilemma and I need help.

Edited by Shep
added username to title

Paxil 20 mg from 2002-2017

Started Tapering

Developed poopout and withdrawal symptoms late 2017

Landed in hospital with serotonin syndrome  Dec 11, 2017 pulled off paxil

Tried prozac, bad side effects, discontinued/attempted paxil reinstatement Dec 27, 2017

Other meds:  Levothyroxine, .25 i rbesartan, 300 mg metformin, 850 mg x 3 glimperide, 2 mg gemfibrozil 600 mg x 2, multivitamin

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi, Needhelp.

Welcome to Surviving Antidepressants.

That's a lot of drugs and a lot of drug changes.

Quick caution with the z-drugs (Ambien) and benzodiazepines (Ativan and Restoril) - you are right to be concerned about their addictive properties. You can become dependent on them in as little as two weeks, even with "as needed" use. And they don't work well after two weeks - the reason we stay on them is to stave off withdrawal.

Some information to get you started:

What is withdrawal syndrome? 

Before you begin tapering, what you need to know

Healing from antidepressants. Patterns of recovery video (4 minutes)

How psychiatric drugs remodel your brain

And some information on how to withdrawal from Paxil:

Tips for tapering off Paxil (paroxetine)

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

Please use this thread to provide updates on how you're feeling as well as to ask questions.  

• Administrator

Welcome, needhelp.

What are you taking now, at what dosages, and at what times of day? Please keep daily notes on paper about your symptoms, when you take drugs, and their dosages.

Do you have any Prozac left?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Thanks for your input.  Shep, most of the meds in my signature are related to diabetes, thyroid, etc.  Not sure if I was supposed to put everything or just what was related to mental condition.  Altostrata, i tried reinstating at 10 mg, at my dr's advice but it seemed too much.  I then used some of the 30mg pills and quartered them, so I guess now it is 7.5.  I do have Prozac capsules left.  I only took about 4 in total but the side effects were so bad, I didn't take more.  I probably still had paxil in my system too and these would lead back to the serotonin syndrome.  That makes me feel like I am between a rock and a hard place.  No sleep doesn't help either.  With all my other health issues, I am not sure how I am going to survive.  

Started Tapering

Tried prozac, bad side effects, discontinued/attempted paxil reinstatement Dec 27, 2017

Other meds:  Levothyroxine, .25 i rbesartan, 300 mg metformin, 850 mg x 3 glimperide, 2 mg gemfibrozil 600 mg x 2, multivitamin

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi, Needhelp. Yes, it's good you put all of your drugs in your signature. We have other people dealing with diabetes and thyroid issues, as these all too often occur with psych drugs. Perhaps as you come off your antidepressant, some of your other health issues may resolve in time. 

If you'd like to read how other members are dealing with thyroid issues, please see:

Thyroid symptoms, hypothyroid, Hashimotos

And for discussions on diabetes during withdrawal:

Diabetes, insulin issues

As Alto mentioned, daily notes will definitely help. This is a great format to use:

Keep notes on paper about your drug dosages and daily symptom pattern

If you could write this out online for a few days here in your thread, we can see how you're responding and offer taper advice and specific non-drug coping skills to help your symptoms. Please include all of your drugs and any supplements you're taking. 

There are a number of non-drug techniques you may find helpful:

Non-drug techniques

Welcome Needhelp.

Just try and avoid antipsychotics like seroquel for sleep if you possibly can. They are really hard to get off of and I'm struggling with Seroquel now. Dr's are increasingly using these drugs off label for insomnia.

Staz

Dosulepin 75mg 1996 - 1997 tapered off no problem - Prozac sporadic use between 1995 and 2011 usually 9 months then off.

Mirtazapine 2015 tapered off after 4 months no problem -Prozac 20mg 2012-2015 tapered off no problems

Prozac 20mg April 2016-May 2016 stopped ct after 4 weeks due to adverse reaction I believe to be serotnin toxicity due to mirtazapine interaction

Escitlopram 10 mg May 2016 - cut to 5mg May 2016  stopped ct November 2016 no W/d's noted

Lyrica 300mg May 2016 - July 2017 - Taper from Jan to Jul 17 awful taper.

Lofepramine 150mg  November 2016 - January 2017 Swift w/d as it didn't work

Quetiapine 75mg November 2016 changed to 150 XL May2017 changed to 150mg IR July 2017 reduced to in 25mg steps from July to 50mg Oct 17. 37.5mg 12th Nov 17 - 35mg 20 Nov 17 - 30mg 22 Nov 17 - 25mg 24 Nov 17 dropped to 20mg Dec 17, 15mg Jan 18. Current taken at bedtime.

Quetiapine dropped Jan 17th 2018.

Dosulepin 75mg May 2017 - increased in 25mg steps to 175mg Oct 17 Reduced to 150mg Nov 17 current taken at bedtime

Diazepam 15mg May 2016 - c/t'd by shrink after 6 weeks. Reinstated at 12mg after 4 weeks June 16 - current 4mg 3 times a day morning, 2.30pm and bedtime.

Mirtazapine 15mg since March 2015 - current - pooped out within 4 weeks

Thanks all.  I slept some...not a lot last night, but it has helped.  Now, I notice my urine looks a little cloudy.  I have tried to replace electrolytes from the diarrhea.  Not sure if that would cause this or not. 

Started Tapering

This is so strange.  Hubby got a job offer and I got a panic attack because he asked me to scan some documents.  I am just losing it.  A normal person would have such joy right now.

Started Tapering

• Moderator Emeritus

I often overreact to tiny things.  You are a normal person dealing with withdrawal.

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of April 1: 6.8mg

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

I m too suffering same. Overreaction. 

08/13 - 01/14
Olanzapine, petril MD (Clonazepam ), Dicorate ER (divalproex). Soza 10 (Zolpidem)

02/14 - 05/14
Flunil ​20mg , Divaa OD 250 mg(divalproex), Amisulpride 50mg (1-0-2), zolfresh 5 mg , Quetiapine
05/14 - 08/14 Venlafaxine 75 xr ( 1-0-1), zapiz 0.25
10/14 Zaptra 12.5mg , Oxetol xr 150mg (0-0-1)
11/14 - 08/15
Paris CR 25 (paroxetine) , Oxetol xr 600 mg (0-0-1), nitrest 5mg , Quetiapine for a month.
09/15-11 Venlafaxine XR 75 ( 1-0-1), Mirtazipine 15, Respiredal 0.5, Lamitor 25, zillion 10.
12/15-02/16 Off Meds (C.T)

03/16-Mid April Sertraline, Aripropazole, Quetiapine, Etizolam.

After that : CT and on OTC supplements (Roadback), now on Ayurveda

So miserable from insomnia.  Now, when I dose off my mind will wake me up.  NO SLEEP!!!  This can't go on.

Started Tapering

• Moderator Emeritus

Here are several links dealing with insomnia.  

I've had some relief taking 1 mg Melatonin around 8pm.  If you decide to try Melatonin, start low, perhaps .5mg.  If after a few days, you see no change, you could go up to 1 mg.  I wouldn't go higher than 2mg, since at higher doses Melatonin can have an activating effect.

What is the sleep cycle?

Early-morning waking with panic or anxiety

Melatonin for sleep: Many people find it helpful

TV or computer use in evening can disrupt sleep: Bright light signals the brain that it's daytime

White noise devices for sleep

Light therapy for sleep problems

Update on milk peptides for sleep: Our friend Lactium again

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of April 1: 6.8mg

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.