Afnan: Prozac withdrawal or something else!?

Afnan

Hi 

i was used prozac for 8 years i stopped it 6 months ago 

i feel Dizziness , headache,  unbalanced and blurred and darkness vision all the time I have nausea  also , tightness on my hand , from 2 month ago i have lower back and legs pain. I'm getting worse 

Dose Anyone experience the same thing ? Is it a w/d or there is something else! :( 

I need your advice i feel miserable. :"(

Please help me 

Prozac

60 mg  2010 - March, 2017

40 mg  April - June

20 mg  June - July

20 mg every other day July - August, 2017

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello, Afnan and welcome to SA.  I am sorry you are having these problems.  I have moved your post to our Introductions and Updates section where more people will see it.

To give members the best information, we ask them to summarize their medication history in a signature -- drugs, doses, dates, and discontinuations & reinstatements, in the last 12-24 months particularly?  Please state whether you tapered the Prozac (and, if so, for how long) or stopped taking it cold turkey.
  • Any drugs prior to 24 months ago can just be listed with start and stop years. 
  • Please use actual dates or approximate dates (mid-June, Late October) rather than relative time frames (last week, 3 months ago) 
  • Spell out months, e.g. "October" or "Oct."; 9/1/2016 can be interpreted as Jan. 9, 2016 or Sept. 1, 2016. 
  • Please leave out symptoms and diagnoses. 
  • A list is easier to understand than one or multiple paragraphs. 
  • Link to Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature
Your symptoms are common in withdrawal from SSRI medications and other neuro-psycho-active substances. Please read:

Once you have completed your signature, we will be in a better position to help you.

This is your introduction topic -- the place for you to ask questions, record symptoms, share your progress, and connect with other members of the SA community. I hope you'll find the information in the SA forums helpful for your situation. I'm sorry that you are in the position that you need the information, but I am glad that you found us.

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of April 1: 6.8mg

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

I stopped on 8/2017 i was on 60 mg forever on 4/2017 i lower my dosage for 40 mg , in June i used 20 mg for a month then i use one day on one day off then stopped it

my doctor didn't help me she told me I should be on medication forever because it is a genetic. 

:mellow:

how i get over the dizziness it is stopped my life I'm just lying down 

and what about lower back and legs pain is it symptoms? When It will go away? 

Prozac

40 mg  April - June

20 mg  June - July

• ChessieCat changed the title to Afnan: Prozac withdrawal or something else!?
  • Moderator Emeritus

Afnan,

Let me see if I have this right.

Prozac

40 mg  April - June

20 mg  June - July

If you could put this information in your drug signature, it would be helpful.  Here is the link: 

Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature

Unfortunately, doctors know very little, if anything, about antidepressant withdrawal.  I'm not surprised that your doctor did not help you.  No, you do not need to be on these medicines forever.

I don't have an answer about how to get over the dizziness.  It will eventually go away.  It is a common withdrawal symptom. Your taper was very fast, and your system needs time  to recover.  Time is the main cure for withdrawal symptoms. Unfortunately, no one can say how long it will take.

Both lower back pain and leg pain can be symptoms of withdrawal.  Acupuncture, physical therapy and chiropractic can help with these symptoms. Also, many of us have lower back pain from sitting too much, the back gets weak and maybe withdrawal sensitivity hits it -- back exercises can be good, too. Look on the Internet for back pain gentle stretches.  One member suggests sleeping with a pillow between your knees and thighs.

If you try acupuncture, be sure to tell the acupuncturist that you want only calming points done, not activating (stimulating) points.

Two supplements that are calming to the nervous system and could help your symptoms are:

Please research all supplements first and only add in one at a time and at a low dose in case you do experience problems.

Please read posts in the Symptoms and Self-Care section for ideas about how to deal with withdrawal.

Many members have found the techniques described in the following link to be helpful in dealing with withdrawal symptoms.

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 95% complete.

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

from Dec 2017 i really have weird head pain i can't describe it i have it constant from my wake up until I sleep  and it's getting worse it is like squeezing my eyes and make me cry it's really strong and I can't handle it anymore 
i wan't someone have the same thing I want to talk to him 
is this normal or what ! 
Nowadays it get more painful i am getting crazy  i can't leave my house because of this pain
i can't read all the link above i have blurred vision also reading make the my head pain increase 
Tell me what I should do, and is this normal constant painful head pain !!
Also i have pain from dec 2017 also pain in my  lower back and thighs (from front and outside)
I knew lower back pain is normal w/d  but when is it come with thighs pain and som times all the leg is normal and also it's constant is it normal ?

Prozac

40 mg  April - June

20 mg  June - July

Hi Afnan,

I 'm 6 months off prozac as well.I went cold turkeyend August 2017 which was  terrible idea but I was on 20mg for the last year (6 yrs in total use) so I just quit.

The last couple of weeks I experience severe headaches and I feel disoriented. I didn't have this withdrawal symptom before. It makes my life hard especially at work.

I can barely concentrate let alone read things o my computer screen. What helps me  is magnesium supplements, bath with epson salts,deep tissue massage that

alleviates headaches and back pain as well as yoga that helps both with my mood and leg and back pain. Hope that helps. Try not to obsess about it as I feel makes thongs worse.

I know easier said than done but we all suffer on our way to recovery. That's what brings us all here.

Let me know how it goes.

February 2012: Prozac 60mg

August 2015: Concerta 36mg

March 2016: Concerta reduced to 18mg

September 2016: Prozac lowered to 20mg

September 2017: cold turkey both Prozac and Concerta

Now: experiencing severe withdrawal from both medications

• Moderator Emeritus

Just about any symptom is possible with withdrawal, including constant head pain, leg pain, blurred vision, back pain.  You tapered very fast and these withdrawal symptoms are normal.

Please try the non-drug techniques in my previous post.  As you can see from Isabellax' post, many are going through the same thing.

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 95% complete.

Taper is 91% complete.  

22 minutes ago, Isabellax said:

Hi Afnan,

I 'm 6 months off prozac as well.I went cold turkeyend August 2017 which was  terrible idea but I was on 20mg for the last year (6 yrs in total use) so I just quit.

The last couple of weeks I experience severe headaches and I feel disoriented. I didn't have this withdrawal symptom before. It makes my life hard especially at work.

I can barely concentrate let alone read things o my computer screen. What helps me  is magnesium supplements, bath with epson salts,deep tissue massage that

alleviates headaches and back pain as well as yoga that helps both with my mood and leg and back pain. Hope that helps. Try not to obsess about it as I feel makes thongs worse.

I know easier said than done but we all suffer on our way to recovery. That's what brings us all here.

Let me know how it goes.

If is it ok and the blog allowed 

may I contact with you

Prozac

40 mg  April - June

20 mg  June - July

I 'm not sure how this website works. Actually you can see it's my first time I wrote something here although I have been reading information for many months.

You can send me a private message here I guess.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Isabellax,

I suggest you create your own Intro topic by clicking on this link Introductions and updates  and the click on Start New Topic at the top right.  That way you can be supported by Afnan and other members of the community and can ask questions about your own situation and journal your progress.

Hi Afnan, welcome to SA!

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Why the psychiatrists do not admit the w/d  symptoms all of them said the w/d don't stay for this long time and it is the actual anxiety comeback 

what about us?! 

My doctor told me the drugs is still in my body and i will get worse by the time because the effect of the medicine will go ! And I should take a medicine before I'm getting really sick! It's really bad the doctor say that to a patient!

Prozac

40 mg  April - June

20 mg  June - July

• Moderator Emeritus

The medical profession get most of their information about the drugs from the pharmaceutical companies.  The pharmaceutical companies are businesses which make a profit.

You might find these videos interesting.  Gwen Olsen was a pharmaceutical representative for 15 years.

Interview:  Confessions of an Rx Drug Pusher (51 minutes Gwen Olsen - ex pharmaceutical representative)

And this one titled We Are Trained to Misinform

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

23 hours ago, ChessieCat said:

Hi Isabellax,

I suggest you create your own Intro topic by clicking on this link Introductions and updates  and the click on Start New Topic at the top right.  That way you can be supported by Afnan and other members of the community and can ask questions about your own situation and journal your progress.

Hi Afnan, welcome to SA!

Hi ChessieCat,

I will do that. Thanks a lot!