markeymarc: Off Pristiq

markeymarc

I've been on Effexor/Pristiq for over 5 years and just last week found out that this drug is making my bi-polar swings worse. So the doc cut the dosage down to 50mg for 5 days and now off completely. The worse of the side effects is the mind zapping and brain sloshing, it is terrible :angry::( . I am on Seroquel for the interim. My mood is very stable, so that is a HUGE plus :D .

Nap time. :excl:

• Administrator

Hello, markeymarc, and welcome. I moved your post here because it introduces your situation.

That can be a rough taper schedule for Pristiq. When did you start Seroquel?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Moderator Emeritus

That is a really fast taper, especially for Pristiq which has a half-life of 11 hours (meaning that in 22 hours it's all out of your system). I was on it for six months and was manic most of the time. My doctor switched me from time-released Pristiq (50 mg.) to Lexapro (10 mg.), and that worked very well. However, getting off of Lexapro is hellish. I've been off for nearly two months and am still having trouble with insomnia and sensitivity to certain foods, brights lights, noises, et cetera.

Hang in there, and check the "Symptoms" section of this forum for tips on how to cope with the fallout from getting off ADs when you feel up ro it.

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

• 6 years later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

For anyone reading this topic, I have been tapering Pristiq using compounded capsules with slow release formula.

tips-for-tapering-off-pristiq-desvenlafaxine

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management