Charmartra: Thankful for small mercies

Charmartra

This is a happy place to be. I am determined to be Effexor free by the end of Summer 2018 if not sooner. I understand the significance of tapering slowly as a snail, and that's a good thing.

My poor body is once again (although not quite as severe) experiencing withdrawal symptoms like last summer, rebelling once again to being without it's beloved but dreadful drug it was fed for years upon years.  I have to forgive myself for falling into the medical trap of complacency and get on with rectifying the problem.

So here I am.  

This is my current signature. 

Presently tapering off SSRI Medication:   History Effexor 2000 - present  /  Paxil 1997 - 2000 

Was prescribed antidepressant when marriage broke down in 1997. Divorced in 1999 with life throwing curve balls ever since.  Thus, a complacent approach to a daily dose of anti-depressant drugs that eventually reached around 300 mg in Summer 2016. 

Effexor 2000 to August 2016 - a gradual increase of drug to around 300 mg.

Sept 2016 - June 8, 2017;  tapered from 300 to 37.5 

Cold Turkey June 8. Good for around 26 days then my body rebelled. Stiffened up with fibromyalgia type pain. Went back to 37.5 mg in August not being able to stand the pain and discomfort of withdrawal. 

August 2017 to March 1, 2018.   37.5. 

March 1, 2018 tapering began by dosing every 2nd day. It took around 30 days and again, my body began to stiffen and rebel. 

Which brings me to the present.

Current Medication: Effexor 37.5 Teva-Venlafaxine XR;   Estrace HRT;  Eltroxin 0.05 mg;   Symbicort Turbo Inhaler 2 puffs daily for Asthma (collapsed lower right lung) and prone to bronchitis and pneumonia. Recently discovered I have gallstones via general health check-up ultrasound. No painful symptoms to date probably due to a good diet.  Gallstones can occur due to hormone replacement medication. In my case...who knows?
Current Symptoms: Chronic fatigue; aching muscles, joint stiffness, tingling and hot sensation in limbs, unsteady on my feet (have fallen three times in three months) isolation, slight social anxiety, lack of motivation

My Plan: Seeing Psychiatrist tomorrow April 10th. Have kept track of daily medications in a pocket calendar and making notes. Having found this site has helped.

Hot baths help...will add Epson salts.  I take Aleve and two Extra Strength Tylenol at night to help with the pain. 

Because I live alone with not much going on most days, I am no stranger to sleep. 

Current Supplements:  Sister owns a honey farm to I take Pollen;  propolis; I don't want to load up with supplements right now.

Current Essential Oils:  Lavender, Eucalyptus 

Current Medication: 

• Effexor 37.5  every second day beginning March 1, 2018
  • Teva-Venlafaxine XR...low dose for Thyroid
  • Estrace HRT;  Eltroxin 0.05 mg; 
  •  Symbicort Turbo Inhaler 2 puffs daily for Asthma (collapsed lower right lung) and prone to bronchitis and pneumonia.
  • Recently discovered I have gallstones via general health check-up ultrasound. No painful symptoms to date probably due to a good diet.  Gallstones can occur due to hormone replacement medication. In my case...who knows?
  • Current Symptoms: 
  • Chronic fatigue; aching muscles, joint stiffness, tingling and hot sensation in limbs,
  • unsteady on my feet (have fallen three times in three months)
  • isolating,
  • slight social anxiety, lack of motivation

My Plan:  Keeping track of daily medications in a pocket calendar and making notes. 

Hot baths help...will add Epson salts.  I take Aleve and two Extra Strength Tylenol at night to help with the pain at this point.

Work at a sticking to a daily routine: Up at set time; go for walk; swim twice a week; journal daily in the morning.

• ChessieCat changed the title to Charmartra: Thankful for small mercies
  • Administrator

Welcome, Charmartra.

Right off, please do not skip doses to taper!! This brings on withdrawal symptoms. Immediately start taking the same dosage at the same time every day.

As you've been doing this for a month, you might be able to stabilize on 20mg Effexor every day.

Please read Tips for tapering off Effexor (venlafaxine)

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Thank you so much for your reply. Despite feeling terrible today and disappointed after my visit with the psychiatrist last Tuesday who doesn't seem to be supportive of my going off the drug in the first place, I feel somewhat buoyed-up having had your reply and a good measure of understanding.

I was told at one point that I would have to be on Effexor the rest of my life. It was at that point and the problem of extreme sweating that I began to give serious thought to ridding my body of toxins, the antidepressant being my key target. 

But enough of that. I'm going to visit my new pharmacist on Monday to know what she has to say to get me down to 20 mg. If I must, I'll go back to 37.5 and stabilize then start back to work at what...eliminating beads? three at a time?  I have all the time in the world at this point in my life so whatever it takes I'll do it. 

Happy to be here and finally connecting with people who know and care.   Thanks again. I'll keep you posted.

Current Medication: 

•  Symbicort Turbo Inhaler 2 puffs daily for Asthma (collapsed lower right lung) and prone to bronchitis and pneumonia.
  • Recently discovered I have gallstones via general health check-up ultrasound. No painful symptoms to date probably due to a good diet.  Gallstones can occur due to hormone replacement medication. In my case...who knows?
  • Current Symptoms: 
  • Chronic fatigue; aching muscles, joint stiffness, tingling and hot sensation in limbs,
  • isolating,

My Plan:  Keeping track of daily medications in a pocket calendar and making notes. 

Hot baths help...will add Epson salts.  I take Aleve and two Extra Strength Tylenol at night to help with the pain at this point.

Work at a sticking to a daily routine: Up at set time; go for walk; swim twice a week; journal daily in the morning.

• Administrator
20 hours ago, Altostrata said:

Don't expect much from pharmacists about tapering, either.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Hi. Yes. I get that. However, thought I'd try Pharmacist Mary who is part of the small clinic I go to (in Ontario, Canada) and seems to understand my desire to change. With my new doctor and her, I just may get a little more support than before. I think it's worth the effort.  You won't be surprised to hear that my shrink was a bit indignant and condescending the other day when I told her my symptoms. Go figure. I've been discharged with open door to return if required. Onward and upward.

Current Medication: 

• Current Symptoms: 
  • isolating,

• Administrator

Not surprised at all. Any doctor can prescribe these drugs, it doesn't have to be a psychiatrist.