mia: Tapering off Wellbutrin, Tegretol, lorazepam

mia

Hi Shep.Shep where is my thread?

I've been taking lorazepam 4 mg,since December 20,2017.I started taking gabapentin again in January 27 for the pain in my back,and i'm still taking it,i'm taking 100 mg twice a day.But i want to get off it because the side effects.I take the first dosage of gabapentin at 12:00 noon,the side effects are diarrhea,tremors,i don't feel like doing anything, no motivation,forgetfulness,trouble concentrating,irritated,feeling down,sometimes i feel space out with this medication.My second dosage of 100 of  gabapentin is at 8:00 pm,the symptoms are the same as the one i take at noon,except for the diarrhea.I take 2 mg off lorazepam at 1:00 pm,symptoms feeling tired,i start to shake( hands,head,sometimes my whole body.The next dosage i take is at 6:00 pm,symptoms feeling tired,and the same symptoms when i take the 1:00 pm dosage.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mia

• Altostrata

• Shep

• Rhiannon

Top Posters In This Topic

18 hours ago, mia said:

Brassmonkey can you please tell me a plan to taper off gabapentin 100 mg twice a day?

Can you please.

2 hours ago, Hibari said:

Thank you Brass.   This makes it clear.

Because of how badly I am feeling from this last cut, I actually am contemplating up dosing and would definitely hold no matter what.  

a

I've been taking lorazepam 4 mg,since December 20,2017.I started taking gabapentin again in January 27 for the pain in my back,and i'm still taking it,i'm taking 100 mg twice a day.But i want to get off it because the side effects.I take the first dosage of gabapentin at 12:00 noon,the side effects are diarrhea,tremors,i don't feel like doing anything, no motivation,forgetfulness,trouble concentrating,irritated,feeling down,sometimes i feel space out with this medication.My second dosage of 100 of  gabapentin is at 8:00 pm,the symptoms are the same as the one i take at noon,except for the diarrhea.I take 2 mg off lorazepam at 1:00 pm,symptoms feeling tired,i start to shake( hands,head,sometimes my whole body.The next dosage i take is at 6:00 pm,symptoms feeling tired,and the same symptoms when i take the 1:00 pm dosage.

Hi Mia-- Lets take this back over to your intro thread so you'll have a record there.  I'm assuming that you've already Tips for tapering off Neurontin (gabapentin)  if not then it would be a good idea before we get too far.

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

1 hour ago, brassmonkey said:

Hi Mia-- Lets take this back over to your intro thread so you'll have a record there.  I'm assuming that you've already Tips for tapering off Neurontin (gabapentin)  if not then it would be a good idea before we get too far.

Hi Brassmonkey.Brassmonkey,i did read the tips for tapering off Neurontin.

• Moderator Emeritus
22 hours ago, brassmonkey said:

Lets take this back over to your intro thread so you'll have a record there. 

I've moved the posts into Mia's Intro topic.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Hi Mia-- the gentlest way to do the taper is to take 10% off of each dose, morning and evening.  So you would take 90mgai each time. Hold at that level until you're stable and then do it again.  BUT, you need to be in a stable condition before you start.  All the changes, additions and deletions you've made recently have destabilized your body to a great extent and that needs to be resolved before any taper can be attempted.  You're going to have to wait several months before you start.  I've just read through both of your main threads and all the information has been presented to you several times.  You just need to go back and take a look.

Brassmonkey

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

Hi Brassmonkey.Brassmonkey i will like to taper from this medication because i don’t think it’s helping much with the pain,and I’m having side effects from it,like forgetful,at times troubled concentrating,not wanting to do nothing,no appetite,etc.

Edited by mia
I forgot to write something else.

• Administrator

mia, what's your symptom pattern? Please keep daily notes on paper about your symptoms, when you take your drugs, and their dosages.

How do you know the forgetfulness, trouble concentrating, and sluggishness are from gabapentin?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Moderator Emeritus

This gives an example of Keep Notes on Paper

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

Please i need help getting off gabapentin,I’m not myself with this medication,i hardly shower,it’s causing gastritis and discomfort in my stomach,no appetite,etc.

• Moderator Emeritus
On 03/03/2018 at 6:38 PM, Altostrata said:

mia, what's your symptom pattern? Please keep daily notes on paper about your symptoms, when you take your drugs, and their dosages.

Hi Mia,

Altostrata has requested a symptom pattern.  We need you to do this every day and post them here in your topic.

It is difficult for the mods to help you if you don't provide the information we ask for. 

From Keep Notes on Paper:

Keep notes on paper about your drug dosages and daily symptom pattern

A symptom pattern that occurs regularly over several days could mean the symptoms are from withdrawal, other adverse effects of drugs, or something else you do on a daily schedule.

In the course of discussion in your Introductions forum topic, you may be asked to keep notes on paper of your daily symptom pattern, including when you take your drugs, their dosages, and any symptoms.

What we need to see for every individual day over several days is:

- Time and dosage for drugs taken in morning
- Time and description of any symptoms in the morning

- Time and dosage for drugs taken in afternoon
- Time and description of any symptoms in the afternoon

- Time and dosage for drugs taken in evening
- Time and description of any symptoms in the evening

- Time and dosage for drugs taken in middle of the night
- Time and description of any symptoms in the middle of the night (such as waking)

And so forth. A diary, in chronological order, such as:

6 a.m. Woke and vomited
8 a.m. Took 2.5mg Lexapro
10 a.m. Had diarrhea
10:30 a.m. Ate breakfast
11:35 a.m. Got a headache, lasted one hour
12:35 p.m. Ate lunch
4 p.m. Stomachache
5 p.m. Took 2.5mg Lexapro
6 p.m. Ate dinner
9:20 p.m. Headache
10:00 p.m. Took 50mg Seroquel
10:20 p.m. Headache got worse
10:30 p.m. Fell asleep
2:30 a.m. Woke, took 3mg Ambien (NOT "took 1/2 tablet Ambien")
2:45 a.m. Fell asleep
4:30 a.m. Woke with headache

An appointments diary is perfect for this and can be bought at stationery stores. 

They have a page for each day with times for appointments which can be filled in with doses, symptoms etc as shown by Alto.

7 hours ago, ChessieCat said:

Hi Mia,

Altostrata has requested a symptom pattern.  We need you to do this every day and post them here in your topic.

It is difficult for the mods to help you if you don't provide the information we ask for. 

From Keep Notes on Paper:

Keep notes on paper about your drug dosages and daily symptom pattern

A symptom pattern that occurs regularly over several days could mean the symptoms are from withdrawal, other adverse effects of drugs, or something else you do on a daily schedule.

In the course of discussion in your Introductions forum topic, you may be asked to keep notes on paper of your daily symptom pattern, including when you take your drugs, their dosages, and any symptoms.

What we need to see for every individual day over several days is:

- Time and dosage for drugs taken in morning
- Time and description of any symptoms in the morning

- Time and dosage for drugs taken in afternoon
- Time and description of any symptoms in the afternoon

- Time and dosage for drugs taken in evening
- Time and description of any symptoms in the evening

- Time and dosage for drugs taken in middle of the night
- Time and description of any symptoms in the middle of the night (such as waking)

And so forth. A diary, in chronological order, such as:

6 a.m. Woke and vomited
8 a.m. Took 2.5mg Lexapro
10 a.m. Had diarrhea
10:30 a.m. Ate breakfast
11:35 a.m. Got a headache, lasted one hour
12:35 p.m. Ate lunch
4 p.m. Stomachache
5 p.m. Took 2.5mg Lexapro
6 p.m. Ate dinner
9:20 p.m. Headache
10:00 p.m. Took 50mg Seroquel
10:20 p.m. Headache got worse
10:30 p.m. Fell asleep
2:30 a.m. Woke, took 3mg Ambien (NOT "took 1/2 tablet Ambien")
2:45 a.m. Fell asleep
4:30 a.m. Woke with headache

An appointments diary is perfect for this and can be bought at stationery stores. 

They have a page for each day with times for appointments which can be filled in with doses, symptoms etc as shown by Alto.

I just can’t do all of that im going through to much,pain in my back,all these things im going with this gabapentin.

• Moderator Emeritus
31 minutes ago, mia said:

I just can’t do all of that im going through to much,pain in my back,all these things im going with this gabapentin.

Mia, I'm very sorry you're in so much pain, but without a symptoms and drug journal, we can't give you advice. It would be dangerous for us to do so because with all of the drug changes you've made recently, we don't know what drug is causing what. If this is really too much for you to do, than you need to work with your doctor. We won't be able to help you with the limited amount of information you've given us so far. 

All it takes is a few minutes a day of writing down your symptoms and then posting them for us. 

Please note this section from the What will get you warned or banned thread: 

On 6/15/2011 at 2:45 PM, Altostrata said:

Being uncooperative, specifically, not keeping notes and reporting your symptom pattern when requested to do so.

Keeping daily notes of your symptoms, when you take your drugs, and their dosages is quite simple. In many situations, particularly when you're taking multiple drugs, we need this information to tell if a drug is causing an adverse reaction or if an adjustment is working.

If, after requested, you avoid doing this, we can't help you. If you persist in withholding this essential information, you may receive more than one warning point, up to being banned from the site (4 warning points).

3 hours ago, Shep said:

Mia, I'm very sorry you're in so much pain, but without a symptoms and drug journal, we can't give you advice. It would be dangerous for us to do so because with all of the drug changes you've made recently, we don't know what drug is causing what. If this is really too much for you to do, than you need to work with your doctor. We won't be able to help you with the limited amount of information you've given us so far. 

All it takes is a few minutes a day of writing down your symptoms and then posting them for us. 

Hi Shep.Ok Shep i will do it.

Edited by ChessieCat
fixed up quote and extracted reply

53 minutes ago, Shep said:

Shep my dr.doesnt know nothing about tapering off Gabapetin.

On 2/13/2012 at 10:06 PM, mia said:

I need help in tapering off tegretol 100mg,three times a day,and i need help in tapering off lorazepam 1mg three times a day.

• Moderator Emeritus
3 hours ago, Shep said:

We won't be able to help you with the limited amount of information you've given us so far. 

Hi mia,

Before we can offer any advice about tapering we need at least 3 days of symptom/drug journal.

Once we have it we will be able to assess your situation and make suggestions about what to reduce and how to do it.

• Administrator

mia, what times of day do you take your drugs, and at what dosages?

Do you feel better or worse in the morning, afternoon, or evening?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

• 1 month later...
On 3/10/2018 at 11:56 PM, Altostrata said:

Hi Altostrata. I take 100 mg of gabapentin at 12:00pm.At 1:00 pm i take 2 mg off lorazepam.At 6:00 pm i take the other 2 mg of lorazepam.and at 8:00 pm i take the other 100 mg of gabapentin. I feel somewhat better in the evening. I feel worse in the afternoon.

• Moderator Emeritus

Mia, we need at least 3 days of your drug and symptoms journal before we can answer any taper questions. 

What you wrote in your signature is actually much better than what you wrote in your last post because you gave the symptoms you were having for each dose. Please continue to take notes like that (write down the time, dose, and symptoms) each time you take each of your drugs. 

Also, please add in the hours of sleep you are getting each night. 

Again, we need several days of these kinds of notes in order for us to help you with a taper. 

9 hours ago, Shep said:

Mia, we need at least 3 days of your drug and symptoms journal before we can answer any taper questions. 

What you wrote in your signature is actually much better than what you wrote in your last post because you gave the symptoms you were having for each dose. Please continue to take notes like that (write down the time, dose, and symptoms) each time you take each of your drugs. 

Also, please add in the hours of sleep you are getting each night. 

Again, we need several days of these kinds of notes in order for us to help you with a taper. 

Hi Shepherd.Shep where do you want me to write the symptoms journal?

• Administrator

mia, you can post your symptoms journal information in this topic.

Which symptoms do you attribute to gabapentin?

On 4/13/2018 at 2:01 PM, Altostrata said:

mia, you can post your symptoms journal information in this topic.

Which symptoms do you attribute to gabapentin?

The symptoms that i attribute to gabapentin are:acid reflex,burping ,diarrhea ,not much of a appetite,my left eye closing and opening on its own and sometimes it stays closed for a while,stomach discomfort,bloated.

Took gabapentin at 12:00.pmAt 12:35 pm started to have heartburn.At 12:50 pm ,I had diarrhea.At 1:00 pm I took the 2 mg off lorazepam.At 1:38 pm I had acid reflux, and lots of burping.At 1:50 pm , I had diarrhea.Took  the 2 mg off lorazepam,had some burping.At 8:00 pm, I took the second 100 mg of gabapentin.At 9:00 pm started feeling fatigue.

• Moderator Emeritus

Mia, I moved your last post from your new thread and merged it. Please keep posting in this thread. 

When you write your drug and symptoms journal, please add in when and what you are eating. A lot of the symptoms you are describing could be coming from your foods. 

14 hours ago, Shep said:

Mia, I moved your last post from your new thread and merged it. Please keep posting in this thread. 

When you write your drug and symptoms journal, please add in when and what you are eating. A lot of the symptoms you are describing could be coming from your foods. 

14 hours ago, Shep said:

Symptoms journal.10:00am had some crackers.At 12:00 pm took gabapentin,100mg.At 12:50 pm I had diarrhea.At 1:00 pm i took the first dosage off lorazepam 2mg.At 1:30 pm i started having shakes,and fatigue.At 2:26 pm still feeling fatigued.At 2:42 pm,burping,i took 1 Tagamet for Gerd symptoms.At 4:49 pm started having some shakes.At 5:30 pm thank God i was able to eat some soup,i haven’t had much of an appetite.At 6:00 pm i took the second dosage off 2 mg of lorazepam.At 7:00 pm started having stomach discomfort.At 7:30 pm,feeling bloated and burping.At 8:00 pm, i took the second dosage off gabapentin 100mg.By 8:30 pm started with the burping.

Edited by mia
Forgot to write something

• Administrator

Would it be possible to move your mid-day gabapentin and lorazepam doses further apart, such as taking the gabapentin earlier?

What happens after 8 p.m.? How often do you take Tagamet? Please put ALL your drugs in the Drug Interactions Checker https://www.drugs.com/drug_interactions.php  
and copy and paste the results in this topic.

Your lorazepam schedule is 2mg at 1 p.m. and 2mg at 6 p.m.? Why do you take these two doses so close together?

9 hours ago, Altostrata said:

Would it be possible to move your mid-day gabapentin and lorazepam doses further apart, such as taking the gabapentin earlier?

What happens after 8 p.m.? How often do you take Tagamet? Please put ALL your drugs in the Drug Interactions Checker https://www.drugs.com/drug_interactions.php  
and copy and paste the results in this topic.

Your lorazepam schedule is 2mg at 1 p.m. and 2mg at 6 p.m.? Why do you take these two doses so close together?

13 minutes ago, mia said:

What time should i take the gabapentin?Ive been taking Tagamet as needed for herd.Ive been taking the lorazepam like this for a while,my body starts to shake about 5:00pm or 5:30, that’s why i take the 2nd dosage of lorazepam at 6:00 pm.Altostrata please i need to a plan to get off gabapentin it’s giving me to many bad side effects,gerd,diarrhea,bloating,loss of appetite,etc.

14 minutes ago, mia said:

In the afternoon.

22 minutes ago, mia said:

Altostrata idon’t know how to do the interaction drug checker,and I don’t know how to copy and paste.

22 minutes ago, mia said:

23 minutes ago, mia said:

40 minutes ago, mia said:

23 minutes ago, mia said:

Altostrata the reason i take the gabapentin and lorazepam so close is because i start to shake when i take the first dosage off gabapentin at 12:00 pm.My husband wants me to just stop the gabapentin because of the side effects I’ve been having,and i keep telling him that I just can’t stop this medicine,that it could be dangerous if i stop it all of sudden,so he says that I’ll should go to a detox center so that they could wean me off of it,i told him that they will put me on something else to take me off the gabapentin,and then i will have to come off that other medicine.He just don’t understand the severity this could be.

• Administrator

mia, you're answering my questions in a very confusing way. It's very hard to tell what's going on.

Here's our topic about tapering gabapentin Tips for tapering off Neurontin (gabapentin)

If I were you, I'd reduce the morning dose first by 10% and see what happens. Please let us know how you're doing after you make this reduction.

52 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

mia, you're answering my questions in a very confusing way. It's very hard to tell what's going on.

Here's our topic about tapering gabapentin Tips for tapering off Neurontin (gabapentin)

If I were you, I'd reduce the morning dose first by 10% and see what happens. Please let us know how you're doing after you make this reduction.

Altostrata I’m sorry it’s that it’s confusing sometimes,where do I have to answer or write.Altostrata can you please tell me how do i reduce 10 percent off my dosage,this is new to me so i don’t know how to do this. Altostrata i want to do this right.