Maybe

Vision symptoms: floaters, snow, blurred/dimmed vision, twitching, dry eyes and pain

btdt

Stop doing anything strenuous and make an eye appointment please... there are some things we should not fool around with our eyes that is one of them.  I had a time when I was on drugs where my vision seemed to get bad all of a sudden I did not have a doctor at the time I had them checked by a clinic gp who said they look ok put a light and had a look... but I did not have the real testing that should have been done.  My eyesight did not improve and I have since had to wear glasses  which I need to change a lot.  Others have said they need to change their glasses a lot in wd too... so there is some idea that wd can have vision changes as part of the experience.  Since my experience was that my eye sight changed suddenly while drugged and did not recover... my best advice is to not mess around with it and get your eyes checked by a real eye doctor. This is one time where it may be wd but if it is not you need to be sure... in my opinion. 

shelby

I do wear glasses... this was more like a dimming of my vision

btdt

Best to have it checked is all I am going to say and try not to worry or do anything that makes it worse in the mean time... my opinion. 

peace

btdt

Effexor has been known to cause some eye troubles being safe is better than not... I came back to check what drug you took and I know this one Effexor was my last drug too... it likely is nothing big but I have had one post on another site that was about E and eyesight that was big dont fool with it.

Petunia

I've had that happen a few times when I've over exerted myself. I think it might be part of the exercise intolerance which can happen as part of withdrawal. For me, when it happens I also feel dizzy, weak and feverish. I don't think it would cause permanent blindness, but its better if you pace yourself and don't do things which make you feel worse or cause symptoms like this.

If it gets worse or continues, you might want to get it checked out as BTDT suggested.

seekinghealth

I am currently tapering sertraline, as well as holding steady at 50 mg Trazodone at night for sleep. I have been experiencing blurred vision for several months now, which I know is a side effect of Traz. It seems to be getting increasingly worse. Has anyone had this problem, then had their vision restored after coming off Traz or any other drug with a similar side effect? I want to hope that I haven't messed up my vision permanently!

DLB

My close reading vision went to hell in the past few months quickly at the end of my paxil taper.

LostInTheWoods

At the start of paroxetine, my vision got slightly blurry but I had been told it was a "temporary side effect". It did pass when I was on 20 mg but in the last year I have been developing some nasty ghost images that get worse at night. Truth to be told, I'm already on my 30s and have spent a big amount of my time watching screens, so it could be also due to age.

btdt

Not sure if this is here already or not but came to this accidentally today

Effexor - Angle-closure glaucoma

Thought it should be here in case somebody needs it

http://www.worstpills.org/public/page.cfm?op_id=84

It is a list of drugs that cause eye problems prozac is on it.. prednisone... lots of drugs. 

katieb

I have been experiencing blurred vision, dry red eyes and also runny eyes.The blurry vision is for me the worst.

NoMeaning25

Normal. Because ive had severe visual distortions for 3 years.

Still hoping it will get better

Horns85

Has anyone experienced super dry eyes? I don't have any other allergy symptoms so I have ruled that out. Could it be that the eye muscles are stressed from anxiety and when they are relaxed, they become sore and cause dry eye? Thanks!

Moon500

I have eye daze and twitching eyes dose any body feel the same? Dose it go?

Petunia

I've just developed sore, itchy eyes, it comes and goes through the day, it started about a week ago. It gets worse if I rub my eyes, so I try not to. I'm assuming this is withdrawal related, although it might not be. I'm expecting this will be another one of those symptoms which hangs around for a while and then goes away.

Satch

I have been on Seroquel 100mg for 15 months after a horrible benzo ct.  I have recently started to get pain in my eyes.  Feels like they are being stabbed at times.

Anyone know if this could be related to the drug?

Thanks

JanCarol

Eye trouble - specifically cataracts - are a risk of seroquel.  I seem to remember a medical study on beagles who went blind on seroquel.  Additionally, many of us in withdrawal have trouble with vision, blurry, sensitivity, perception, it's just a bit haywire while your neurons are healing.

I'm not trying to frighten you, it is just a known consequence.  Please get your eyes checked.

The LABEL on seroquel says that seroquel patients should see an eye doctor every 6 months.

Here is someone who suffered from eye trouble with seroquel.  She is totally off the drug now, and may have permanent damage to her eyes:  http://www.madinamerica.com/2012/06/after-seroquel/

WiggleIt

I wasn't on Seroquel, but my eyes are messed up by the meds I was on: tricyclics and a benzo

bluebalu86

I've been having an insane amount of constant eye floaters for 6 months now. No change and no relief. I think this is permanent. 

Skyler

I've been having an insane amount of constant eye floaters for 6 months now. No change and no relief. I think this is permanent. 

It can take 6 months, sometimes longer for floaters to be absorbed by the eye.  One of mine was particularly annoying, and made reading difficult, but it too eventually was absorbed.... you might want to read here.  "Most people have floaters and learn to ignore them; they are usually not noticed until they become numerous or more prominent. Floaters can become apparent when looking at something bright, such as white paper or a blue sky."

AliceBauer

It's been a while since anyone has posted in this but I am having these issues now and since its been a few years since these posts in wondering- has anyone had improvement? I'm looking for some encouragement. Thank you!

vonant

Hi. I'm suffering severely with what I can best describe as severe dysautonomia. I am worried that my extreme withdrawal problems have an underlying agent. That something has made me prone to this dysautonomia and extraordinarily sensitive to drugs, chemicals etc. And that that something might be "visual snow" or "static". I am in contact with one girl from this forum who is having similar symptoms as me, same age as me, was on citalopram like me, and is several years out like me. Turns out she has had visual snow as well since before SSRI's. My visual snow began in my early teens following migraine auras. But it can have many triggers. Some might even have it from as long as they can remember. Basically it is a chronic visual disturbance that looks like constant transparent TV static covering your entire field of vision. It can be mild or severe etc but always there. its a neurological issue and not and eye condition. Anyway, I found out that at least some people with dysautonomia and POTS have visual snow too. This is all very worrying to me.

I would like to ask all members here if they have ever heard of visual snow or if they indeed have it. Particularly long term sufferers.

Chemistry

I am almost 3 years out and i have VS. I am on the facebook group and have been since it only had around 500 members. For me it all started when i was on zoloft and it slowly got worse and worse over time after i came off cold turkey. I'm coping with it but generally speaking things have only gotten worse in that department and my problems are not only the static but afterimages, floaters, halos, tinnitus, dr, etc. In relation to other people with this condition i'd say i have a classic case and my symptoms are bad but manageable once you get used to the changes. If you haven't been on the facebook group about Visual Snow you should take a look there is research being done about it. 

Im not sure if i have POTS. I mean i might... but it can't be that bad since i've never noticed it to be a major issue for me. 

AliceBauer

I have this too. I've had it for the last 6 months or so and my started while I was on zoloft. I'm one month off of all drugs and I also have the halos and after images as well as trailing.

Vonnegutjunky

I have had visual snow off and on since I was 18 - I'm 42 now- after my last med increase (after an unsuccessful taper) I got it again, ten fold, it's worse in the morning and it is accompanied by tinnitus-

PapaBear

I have visual snow since I tapered Paroxetine the first time a couple of years ago. It is relatively mild and mostly visible when looking in the sky on a sunny day. It varies and is definitely connected to the dose I am taking or times of withdrawal.

The first time I visited a neurologist and had an EEG/EMG and some other tests but all without any result. I didn't do an MRT as the neurologist didn't think that it would have resulted in anything either.

Besides I have some floaters but that is pretty normal I think.

Regarding visual snow I read a lot of posts in a forum dedicated to this problem and some of the people there were also taking SSRI's but not everyone.

Aeterna

I've experienced dry eyes - to the point of having to sleep with an oil-based eye ointment to avoid a sandpaper feeling when moving my eyes in my sleep (resulting in waking up, usually when REM sets in). Often during the day I also often require special eye drops. 

I didn't make a connection with SSRIs until I heard a comment made about people who cannot wear contact lenses in their 40s because they have dry eyes and are on SSRIs. 

Is there a connection here? Anyone want to chime in with their own experience?

InvisibleUnless

i have a lot of problems with dryness, including in my eyes.  sometimes i figured it was just the wind or computer screen or something, but it is most patterned around my withdrawal---none of those things used to be a problem, and my eyes can be dry even staying away from them.

dry eyes are a widely documented and accepted side effect of SSRIs, SNRIs, NDRIs and other psych meds, and you can find a lot of references to the symptom and also potential remedies online.

i dont know if it is about the antihistaminic effect or anticholinergic effect or the combination or something else.

Aeterna

dry eyes are a widely documented and accepted side effect of SSRIs, SNRIs, NDRIs and other psych meds, and you can find a lot of references to the symptom and also potential remedies online.

Do you know where I can find this info?  :)

Simmering

If you google antidepressants and dry eyes, there are a gazillion connections. My ophthalmologist told me that is why mine is so painful. Have tried lots of remedies. Also Google treatment for dry eyes, there are a gazillion home remedies, scrubbing your eyelids with. Baby shampoo seem to help and warm eye compresses. Best of luck to you. Simmering

DLB

Yes, had that too. In the beginning of ssri poisoning and in WD but ok in between.

laineyk

I am plagued with it even now 4 months off...was just tested for Sjogrens

I have not been able to wear contacts for 3 years...its horrible

SelmaLady

Does anyone else see pinpoint black dots floating in and out in vision?  I'll think that I'm seeing a a tiny flying insect and have actually swatted at it only to realize its one of those "dots".  It increases with stress or if I'm outside.  I had this much earlier when I was really bad but it went away.  Now back again.. 

Petunia

I just found out that those transparent wiggly lines I see, when looking at a bright sky are actually floaters. I first noticed them shortly after stopping Lexapro.  Seeing as I don't spent much time staring at the sky, it doesn't bother me, but I did wonder what they were, now I know.

I did a google image search for floaters and was surprised to see mine, I thought they always appeared dark, but apparently not.

oskcajga

Eye trouble - specifically cataracts - are a risk of seroquel.  I seem to remember a medical study on beagles who went blind on seroquel.  Additionally, many of us in withdrawal have trouble with vision, blurry, sensitivity, perception, it's just a bit haywire while your neurons are healing.

I'm not trying to frighten you, it is just a known consequence.  Please get your eyes checked.

The LABEL on seroquel says that seroquel patients should see an eye doctor every 6 months.

Here is someone who suffered from eye trouble with seroquel.  She is totally off the drug now, and may have permanent damage to her eyes:  http://www.madinamerica.com/2012/06/after-seroquel/

What an unfortunate tale.  From what I understand, Nancy is doing MUCH better now after all this time.  It does seem like there is evidence that toxic neuropathies can heal - so although it sounds horrible, thankfully it's not necessarily a permanent horror.

The more and more I read about withdrawal and side effects from these drugs, the more I become convinced these side effects/adverse effects/withdrawals are related to toxic neuropathies.   A number of the symptoms people complain about during protracted withdrawal are more consistent with neuropathy than any other plausible explanation I have read.  It's certainly not JUST neuropathy, but it certainly seems to me that any realistic hypotheses that is proposed should not exclude this as a likely contributing factor. 

bluebalu86

I see floaters ALL the time. I first got them when withdrawal hit me in February. There has been no improvement for 10 months. I haven't been to the eye doctor about it. I hope they go away. They certainly aren't the worst symptom, but they're annoying. 

When I made the 50% cut off Fluanxol I had other vision problems which are hard to describe. I lost focus in my eyes and couldn't read or write and I experienced something like white flashing disco lights when looking at my computer screen. So definitely withdrawal related.

direstraits

my eyes have been terrible lately,blurry ,burning,sometimes I can hardly read this site.I know I've had times where they've been much better(few and far between tho :( ) so must be WD related I guess.