Vision symptoms: floaters, snow, blurred/dimmed vision, twitching, dry eyes and pain

Maybe

1 minute ago, OldDodgy said:

I came off preg 20 months ago and dry eyes still persist. But I think it was stopping mirtazipine that really was the issue as it was an antihistamine AD.  I use special wipes twice a day from chemist. Can message y with name if y like 

OD

Thank you so much OD for your response, I had just typed a post in the joining chat saying I didn't know if I've posted this correctly as i hadn't heard from any of you lovely guys.  I finished it and had a notification that you had replied. : - ) This has made me feel much more relaxed about being here and this forum. Thank you.  If you could message me re the wipes that will be great, was you using them whilst tapering too? Sorry you have this too. Without too much detail, this seems to be drying everything out for me. 

L

My Intro topic  

Insomnia following AZ vaccine April 21.

May 21-July 21-Began Lorazepam.  Withdrew as per Dr recommendations. (i now have learned that this was too fast)

August 21 diagnosed with Fibromyralgia and CFS and possible Ehlers Danlos

September 21- Started Pregabalin/Lyrica 150mg, upped to 250mg in the coming weeks, didn't like the way it made me feel so dropped to 200mg end Nov 21/start Dec 21 (as per Dr advice) found the survivors group, held there until

22nd Jan 22 began following Ashton Manual. Got to 88mg am and pm (176mg daily) 11th March.  Holding here atm as caught covid, and appears I have symptoms of long covid.

Only since tapering. Worse on tapering mirtazipine though. 

very soothing

lumicare eyelid wipes. 
OD

My Intro topic.  Was Dickie in FB gabapentinoids 

2020 January Stopped Quetiapine 150 at night in a fairly chaotic fashion with holds, jumping at 6mg 

2020 June Stopped Pregabalin 150 at night using Ashton Method Some holds. 

2021 December Stopped Mirtazipine 15 using Ashton Method. (Slower at end). 

Nov 21 - Given Quetiapine 12.5 for sleep. Reduced mid March 2022 to 6mg - Off 30/5/22

Feb 2022 Ongoing Diazepam 17.5, Blip at Christmas when took 22.5mg for a few days, now 24 FEB Stable 17.5 as advised. Had long covid. Now going to 16.25 from 8/7/22. 7% drop 

Oxazepam 10mg.STOPPED 10th FEB 2022  “Rescue dose x 2 in 2 months. 

Buccastem 3mg less than 1 a month for nausea. 

Past meds since 1969 -Approx dates only available. Tranxene 15, Clomipramine 150 for about 25 years. 1993 Paroxetine 20 AD change. Diazepam 20mg swap from Tranxene.

Oxazepam 10mg Prn since 1990's  1995 Trial of MAOIS. 2000 Escitaopram 10mg. 2015 trial of Trazadone. 2004 Pregabalin 150 at night.

2015 Started on Quetiapine 150 note, Mirtazipine 15 note. Diazepam increased to 30mg split dosing. 

On 2/17/2022 at 12:13 PM, OldDodgy said:

Only since tapering. Worse on tapering mirtazipine though. 

very soothing

lumicare eyelid wipes. 
OD

Thank you OD sorry to hear you're suffering tapering more of these awful meds.

Take care.

L

My Intro topic  

Insomnia following AZ vaccine April 21.

May 21-July 21-Began Lorazepam.  Withdrew as per Dr recommendations. (i now have learned that this was too fast)

August 21 diagnosed with Fibromyralgia and CFS and possible Ehlers Danlos

September 21- Started Pregabalin/Lyrica 150mg, upped to 250mg in the coming weeks, didn't like the way it made me feel so dropped to 200mg end Nov 21/start Dec 21 (as per Dr advice) found the survivors group, held there until

22nd Jan 22 began following Ashton Manual. Got to 88mg am and pm (176mg daily) 11th March.  Holding here atm as caught covid, and appears I have symptoms of long covid.

• 3 weeks later...

https://rxisk.org/new-study-of-antidepressants-and-vision-problems/

Hello everyone - paper/study published by rxisk on correlation between antidepressants, and eyesight problems, of all sorts. Very useful if looking to be diagnosed by an unaware doctor/just good to have to hand on medical visits.

Hope this helps!

Early September 2019 - One 25mg dose of Sertraline taken.

Early October 2019 - Five 25mg doses (pills) of Sertraline taken for five consecutive days.

Withdrawal/reaction happened on the 27th of October (2019) in the evening.

Symptoms that have gone: Joint and muscle pain/weakness in my legs, phantom senses, chemical dread, chemical fear, DP/DR has gotten a lot lot better than what it is now, it was one of my worst and all-encompassing symptoms when it started, awful aphasia, parkinsonism, head pressure, pressure in my frontal lobe when trying to think/work out something, inability to plan or execute anything//feelings of being literally scatterbrained, inability to think in my head other than slight acknowledgements - the voice in my head sounded weak and 'small' like it was restrained to a much smaller area of my brain, constant fatigue, emotional numbness, constant eyestrain, and changes in perception of colour/contrast in sight.

Main remaining symptoms: Visual Snow/HPPD, derealisation, tinnitus, and brain/cog fog.

Drug free.

• 3 months later...

Solution to Dry eyes

After 4 years of getting dry eyes due to tapering, i have finally found the solution....Yeah! 

in the morning i take 1tsp of Cod Liver Oil, it goes away within a couple of minutes....its awesome...and it doesnt matter if i only get 2 hrs of sleep....i know longer need to constantly put saline eye drops into my eyes with no affect....

I have also found taking zinc with my cod liver oil together...they work together...helps with my sores on my face...so i now find i no longer get sores on my face...Yeah!.. i was told that a lack of zinc can cause skin issues....so the two supplements taken together has stopped two symptoms that i have experienced for the past 4 years in their tracks...hope someone benefits from this info as much as i have.....

Also B1 is good for restless leg syndrome and helps with neuropathy in the feet and hands....increasing my B vitamins has finally put a stop to the pain in my feet, ankles and legs...so another symptom going.....

hope this helps... 

Edited by ChessieCat
added topic title before merging with existing topic

Cipramil  40mg  1996 to Oct 2017 stopped cold turkey

Only on Zyprexa from now on :   10mg solid form 1998 to Oct 2017

7.5mg solid form  Oct 2017 to Oct 2019 5mg solid form  Oct 2019 to Apr 2020

3.75mg solid form Apr 2020 to May 2020 2.5mg solid form  May 2020 to Feb 2021 2.5mg solid 3/4 and 1/4 liquid w/ 5mls water 6th Feb 2021 to 2nd Apr 2021 2.5mg 1/2 solid and 1/2 liquid w/10mls water 3rd Apr to 26th Jun 2021

2.5mg dissolved in 25mls of water from 27th Jun 2021 to 22nd Oct 2021 2.5mg 1/2 solid, 1/2 dissolved in 10mls of water from 23rd Oct 21 to 7th Feb 2022 water titrating from 7th Feb 2022 to 13 Aug 2022:  2.2425mg

• 2 weeks later...

I have had vision issues thanks to psych meds. Also during withdrawal. In the past while using SSRIs(Lexapro) I experienced weird symptoms in my eyes. I felt like I experienced pressure in my eyes(especially when I forgot to take dose on time and took the next dose), my pupils were constantly dilated, I had light sensitivity and I was constantly using eyedrops for dry eyes thinking dry eyes were the issue. Blinking my eyes a lot trying to see better that way. Then I went to get my vision checked and my intraocular pressures were high. Not really high, but higher than they should be. I think it explained a lot. During wd I experienced sensitivity to light, and while moving eyes vertically I got brain zaps. My vision was good though and did not need eyeglasses. I was advived by a doctor to get my eye pressures checked regularly in the case if I am developing glaucoma. 

Lately I heard from eye doctor that SSRIs could probably cause high intraocular pressure, there is a connection. I have also been reading about the possible connection of glaucoma and psych meds trying to find is there one. I did not know it back then that SSRIs could raise eye pressures even though was thinking about the connection. When I stopped those pills my intraocular pressures got lower, sometimes they have been even in the normal range. It worries me that I used those drugs for years having higher eye pressures than normal.

When I was using antipsychotics as a part of my polypharmacy such as Zyprexa and Seroquel I experienced blurred vision, and floaters and even double vision. I had difficulties to see sometimes in front of me because of the blurriness. My eye pressure were not checked during that time, I wonder what those drugs did to that. All of this was fixed when I got off them and during slow benzo taper.

I have had difficulties focusing my vision when reading during benzo withdrawal.

Last year I started to see floater (dark spot) in my left eye during benzo withdrawal. It went away after I had it for months.

Lately I went to eye exam to get my eyes checked. My vision was still good, eye pressures normal, optic nerves ok. I still don't need glasses. My eyes were dilated with tropicamide that is anticholinergic drug that has effect on autonomic CNS that is connected with pupil dilation. After that drug I have been having issues for weeks. It felt like it triggered immediately similar symptoms such as SSRIs that have been gone for years. I went to check my eye pressures week after the exam and they were higher than they should be. I experienced eye pain, lights looked weird for many days, I was really sensitive to light for days even though the drug was supposed to be short acting. I have pressure sensation in eyes, I have troubles focusing my vision, my night vision is poorer and my vision is blurred. I have again sensation like I have dry eyes even though I do not. I did not have these symptoms before the exam. Now my eye pressures are back to normal but blurriness has remained. I am worried.

2005-2009 Lexapro 10-20mg & Remeron 7,5mg: cold turkey

2010 tried Venlafaxine (month),

2011-2012 Seroquel 25mg (few months)

2014 6 days Cipro(antibiotics) adverse reaction

2011-2015 Lexapro 10-20mg (tapered off during 4 months) 

2015-2016 (all these drugs during 9 months during SSRI wd,did not tolerate most of them ) : tried Remeron, Temazepam. Reinstatement of Lexapro 3 months after stopping it: fail. Akathisia, insomnia. Zyprexa10mg, Sodium Valproate, Temazepam(20mg), Oxazepam 30-45 mgs. Switching meds: Seroquel 50-100mg, Oxazepam  30-45mg , Temazepam 20mg. Then back to Zyprexa 10mg, Temazepam20mg, doctor took me off Oxazepam fast. Then Zyprexa 20mg, Temazepam 20mg, melatonin10mg ( sometimes very rarely Valium 10 mg.) Zyprexa: cold turkey because 20 mg Zyprexa made akathisia intolerable after every dose. After it insomnia, 24/7 akathisia, adverse reactions to supplements.

2016 spring daily  Valium 15mg (for akathisia)>0mg (used for 4 months and during that time slowly tapered off), tried Betablockers (shortly), Temazepam 40 mg > 25 mg (tapered in 3 months)

2016 summer Temazepam 25 mg > 20 mg, melatonin 2,5 mg

2016 november Melatonin 0,5 mg, Temazepam 20 mg.  Started tapering again.

2024 May 1,8 mg  Temazepam Supplements: Probiotics, magnesium oil occasionally, vitamin E occasionally, melatonin 0,5 mg

• 3 months later...

Eye disorders

I started having extropia with the pills but it has gotten worse. Problems with the movement, coordination, vision... I have both eyes inflammated now. Did anyone experience similar symptoms? Did it get better? Should I go to the hospital? I'm scared I'll only face more gaslighting.

Edited by ChessieCat
added topic title before merging with existing topic

Started in january 2016-2017 and tapered off all in January 2022

Drug history:

Fluoxetina between 10 and 30mg
Diazepam between 2,5 and 10mg
Bromazepam 1,5mg
Olanzapina between 2,5 and 5mg
Paliperidona 3mg
Risperidona 1,5mg

- List of side effects:

Update coming soon

Thank you so much for everyone that tried to help me. I'm currently facing some challenges in my life and withdrawal journey and may not be able to update or respond.

• 3 months later...
On 2/9/2014 at 4:15 AM, eva said:

Anyone else have dry painful eyes, with blurry vision, especially in the mornings and late evenings? And/or tip on what to do about it?

Eva, 

I’m here 6years later experiencing dry, painful eyes along with tension headaches. Did it improve for you? How are you now? 

Prozac 2012-2015• Zoloft 2018-2021 •Zoloft January 2022-August 2022 
-Wellbutrin XL 150 started July 6th 2022 

-Wellbutrin XL to 300 Sep 13th 2022. 
-Oct 3rd adverse reaction symptoms started
-Started taper off Wellbutrin Nov 12th, 2022

Got off of Wellbutrin XL 300 by dropping to 150 for 4 days & then alternating every other day till I could manage longer spaces & then I was off completely within two weeks on Nov 21st 2022. 

medications: 

inhaler for asthma & singular, magnesium 500mg, vit D, baby aspirin 

February 2023—80% recovered. Waves of withdrawal symptoms & windows of energy & pain free.

• 4 months later...
On 2/20/2023 at 8:13 PM, ultra718 said:

Eva, 

I’m here 6years later experiencing dry, painful eyes along with tension headaches. Did it improve for you? How are you now? 

Hi, I get them really bad my eyes feel super weird sometimes. I also get a dry mouth and nose. My eyes feel painful and bone dry. I get really bad headaches, sometimes it feels like someone is blowing cold air into them. I'm 8 months off ADs. How are you doing now?

Citalopram 10mg sep14-nov14,

cit 20mg nov14-jan15,

cit 40mg jan15 -jan22,

tapered cit 40mg-0mg in 10 days.

mirtazapine 15mg then 30mg jan22-Mar22,

tapered in 1 week.

citalopram 20mg apr22- may22( had a reaction this time, hives everywhere),

no taper cold turkey 

sertraline 50mg then 100mg may22-nov22, tapered in 2 weeks.

On 7/6/2023 at 6:47 AM, Tigz91 said:

How are you doing now?

I’m doing much better! Im 7 months off AD & I had a flair of the eye pain & blurriness for the first time in 3 months last week. It only lasted for half a day & was resolved with sleep. The headaches have basically completely resolved now. You can look at my past posts to see my post recent update. It’s definitely gotten better although I’m currently going through a wave of symptoms I know it will improve soon. 

Prozac 2012-2015• Zoloft 2018-2021 •Zoloft January 2022-August 2022 
-Wellbutrin XL 150 started July 6th 2022 

-Wellbutrin XL to 300 Sep 13th 2022. 
-Oct 3rd adverse reaction symptoms started
-Started taper off Wellbutrin Nov 12th, 2022

Got off of Wellbutrin XL 300 by dropping to 150 for 4 days & then alternating every other day till I could manage longer spaces & then I was off completely within two weeks on Nov 21st 2022. 

medications: 

inhaler for asthma & singular, magnesium 500mg, vit D, baby aspirin 

February 2023—80% recovered. Waves of withdrawal symptoms & windows of energy & pain free.

• 2 weeks later...

Th

On 7/13/2023 at 3:06 AM, ultra718 said:

I’m doing much better! Im 7 months off AD & I had a flair of the eye pain & blurriness for the first time in 3 months last week. It only lasted for half a day & was resolved with sleep. The headaches have basically completely resolved now. You can look at my past posts to see my post recent update. It’s definitely gotten better although I’m currently going through a wave of symptoms I know it will improve soon. 

Sorry for the late reply, good to hear your feeling much better, I'm 8 months off and still have a lot of physical symptoms including vision issues. It's so frustrating that the symptoms seem to change constantly. I hope your wave is a short one. 

Citalopram 10mg sep14-nov14,

cit 20mg nov14-jan15,

cit 40mg jan15 -jan22,

tapered cit 40mg-0mg in 10 days.

mirtazapine 15mg then 30mg jan22-Mar22,

tapered in 1 week.

citalopram 20mg apr22- may22( had a reaction this time, hives everywhere),

no taper cold turkey 

sertraline 50mg then 100mg may22-nov22, tapered in 2 weeks.

• 1 month later...
On 7/12/2023 at 7:06 PM, ultra718 said:

The headaches have basically completely resolved now.

I'm super happy to hear that has happened for you!  I'm tapering Wellbutrin and getting to low doses and the continuing headaches have my attention.  I'm relieved to hear that things continue to get better after reaching zero.  

To be honest, out of all the symptoms, the most concerning were the vision issues.  The lingering lightning bolt after images, choppy movement, and shadows in my peripheral vision all came and went but were always an unpleasant surprise.   I had some other vision issues a while back too that I wonder if there was a connection.  

So I'm not going to sweat it if they continue after I reach zero, there's still going to be a lot of healing to do.  If I could be in good shape in 7 months, I'd be so happy.  

Thanks again!

I am not a doctor and do not offer any medical advice, only my own experience.  Consult your physician.

2011-2015 tapered off 300MG of Effexor.  Back in the Paxil Progress days.  No rebound.   

2005-2021:  450 mg Bupropion XL Daily

2021 Buporopion May 450mg/June 400mg/July 375mg/Aug 10th 360mg/

2021 Dec - 150mg IR, 3x day = 450mg Bup, Heritage manufacturer-yellow color pill. 

2022 May 3 - 3 x 150mg IR Bup, Avet brand(pharmacist said they merged with Heritage-orange color) -migraines

REINSTATED-BACK TO MY LAST STABLE DOSE/TIME RELEASE

2022 June 5 - switched back to 3 x 150mg XL one time per day= 450 mg total Bup-Apotex brand

CURRENT TAPER 2022 Aug 31 - 450MG to 412MG IR Bup//Sep. 28, 2022: 412mg to 375mg//Oct 26, 2022: 375mg to 365 mg//Nov 21, 2022: 365mg to 327mg//Dec 27, 2022: 327 mg to 290 mg//Dec 31, 2022:  290mg to 262mg//Jan 28, 2023:  262mg to 190mg//Feb. 19, 2023:  190mg to 140mg//Mar. 18, '23:  140mg to 100mg//

• 6 months later...

Hey all. I'm a bit late to this party.

Tapered off Prozac and then restarted it. Now I can see the blood vessels in my eyes anytime I'm outside. Very strong blue field entoptic phenomenon almost anywhere including indoors in the right lighting.

I hate it with a passion. It's oppressive, looks like the sky is full of gnats on any day. Driving is distracting and I don't like being outside.

Did this improve for anyone? Thought of a life of this is miserable.

Meds: (Daily)

Fluoxetine - 20mg

Vitamin d - 5000mg (recommended by PCP), Vitamin B12A, Allegra, Half capful of miralax

Timeline:

Prozac - 2020, 20mg

2022 - 10mg

2023, August - six week taper from 10mg every other day 2wks, 10 mg every third day 2/wks, 10 mg every fourth day 2/wks, stop.

2024, Feb - 20mg (God I wish I hadn't followed a dct advice so badly)

Now - 20mg

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy