moses: Pristiq Withdrawal

moses

Hi Everyone!

I have started to taper Pristiq 100 mg which has never worked for my anxiety disorder. I am currently on 80 mg. I am taking 50mg plus 30mg compounded Pristiq. Every week I am to reduce it by 10 mg.

So far, I am feeling extreme headaches, fatigue, brain fog and dizzyness. Can anyone tell me if this is normal? I also take Imovane (Lunesta) to help me sleep at night. Perhaps the combination of the two can cause these effects

but I never felt good prior to Pristiq, I tried Effexor and Cipralex for 6 weeks each and they both did nothing to treat the anxiety. I am beginning to think that nothing will help. So I am hoping by tapering down and CBT, that

i will be able to beat the anxiety.

Comments anyone?

Rosie

2009 Efexor 75mg tapered twice

November 2011 Pristiq 50 mg

January 2012 Pristiq 100 mg, became very dizzy and anxious with a lot negative thinking! Ear aches, eye pain, headaches, bruxism, night sweats.

Currently on 30 mg of compounded Pristiq

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• moses

• Altostrata

• Barbarannamated

• Tom

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Moses,

I tapered off of Pristiq from 100mg over approximately 10 months and feel that was too fast. I did not know of this group at the time and did it very unsystematically, cutting tabs (not a good idea!) into very unequal pieces.

Your schedule of 10mgs/week sounds very aggressive but I will leave that to Alto.

I didn't get brain zaps for some reason so thought I had escaped withdrawal. I did have tremendous anxiety and AM cortisol awakenings, insomnia and protracted w/d now (approx 9-10 months since last dose). Hopefully you can avoid that by doing a slow taper. It would be WELL WORTH the time investment.

BTW, none of the SS/NRIs worked for me but docs kept upping doses and changing and combining meds.

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

Hi Barb,

How do you feel now? Are you med free?

Rosie

January 2012 Pristiq 100 mg, became very dizzy and anxious with a lot negative thinking! Ear aches, eye pain, headaches, bruxism, night sweats.

• Administrator

Hello, moses, welcome.

How do you have Pristiq compounded? What was the method you used to get from 100mg to 80mg?

Your symptoms sound like withdrawal symptoms, possibly from tapering too fast.

How long have you been taking Lunesta? Do you take it every night?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Rosie,

I'm been off Pristiq since last spring. Still taking trazodone and Klonopin at bedtime.

The Pristiq w/d has definitely changed. The early morning panic and anxiety has subsided. I felt like I was in overdrive for several months and had to keep moving. In the last few months, I've slowed down and have slept ALOT. I didn't feel depressed or even dread. I did feel like I was sleeping for the first time in many years. The holidays took me down (normal for me) and I've been struggling with very low mood and no energy since-much worse in mornings. I have endocrine problems and reacted badly to new hormone treatments. Too many changes at once -I know better but did it desperate to feel better. When will I learn??!

Short answer--yes, it has gotten better.

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

Hello Alto and Barb,

I get the Pristiq compounded at a compounding pharmacy. It has to be prescribed by your doctor. I use a 50 mg Pristiq and 3 10mg compounded Pristiq. Every week, I am to reduce the amount by 10 mg.

I have been on Lunesta for 8 months every night.

Thanks for the encouraging news Barb: I too experience early morning anxiety: I assumed it was from the Pristiq. I also heard that Lunesta (Imovane) can cause some rebound anxiety. Have you heard of this?

Barb, I hope you gain some energy soon!

Rosie

• Administrator

Do you mean the compounding pharmacy powders Pristiq and puts it into 10mg capsules for you?

You can cut the tablets up yourself, weigh the pieces with an electronic scale, and do it without the expense of a compounding pharmacy.

Unless that doesn't matter -- it's certainly a luxury to have a pharmacy do the weighing for you.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Yes, in Canada, we have health insurance that will cover the cost of the compound (ground up Pristiq into capsules).

• Administrator

Hurray for Canadian health care!

Your symptoms definitely sound like withdrawal symptoms. Reducing by 10% a week may be too fast for your nervous system. You might slow down, maybe even go back up to 90mg to reduce the withdrawal symptoms, stabilize, then taper more slowly.

Pristiq is a close relative of Effexor, which can be very difficult to withdraw from.

Consider tapering by 10% a month. If you get minimal withdrawal symptoms, you might make it 10% every 3 weeks or 2 weeks.

Your taper should be so gradual your withdrawal symptoms are minimal. Once they get going, they can make you miserable for a long time.

Lunesta is supposed to be taken only for a short period of time. Like the other Z drugs, it can cause physical dependency and needs tapering off. While you are withdrawing from Lunesta, you may get rebound insomnia.

Taper the Pristiq first, then the Lunesta.

Hi Guys,

When I went up to 100mg of Pristiq, I experienced a lot of dizziness and brain fog. My doctor thinks that this dose was probably too high for me and was probably causing these side effects.

I am now on 80mg. Do you think that this feeling will subside as I taper down or will I be like this permanently? My doctor also told me that anxiety can make you feel

dizzy and brain foggy as well, but I can't help but feel that it's the drug that is causing it.

Comments anyone?

Thanks,

Rosie

• Administrator

Hi, moses. I combined your new topic with your existing topic. It's one topic to a customer in the Intro section.

One would hope the dizziness and brain fog from taking Pristiq will go away as you decrease the dosage.

Right, you develop dizziness and brain fog after taking Pristiq and your doctor is confused about whether it's a side effect of the medication? Seems to me he's trying dodge responsibility for making a mistake.

The normal dosage of Pristiq is 50mg.

If I were you, I would not take anything this doctor says as the word of God.

thanks Alto.

I am so frustrated with my health. I hope and pray that the brain fog, dizziness, headaches, ear aches subside soon.

I am using homeopathy and as well as a metabolic cleanse by Douglas Laboratories to help with the weaning process.

What are your thoughts on acupuncture: do you think it helps?

Thanks,

Rosie

Rosie,

Acupuncture has worked very well for pain for me. I haven't tried for specific w/d symptoms. Auriculotherapy ( needles in different parts of the ear) helped tremendously years ago. The ear charts are similar to Reflexology points on feet.

RE: anxiety... I didn't have anxiety prior to being on ADs but do now. My biggest trigger is emptiness and feeling unable to think or plan. For me, apathy and emptiness triggers guilt and anxiety because it's so different from who I used to be. I've seen it referred to as Antidepressant Apathy Syndrome in Med literature. The foggy thinking and inability to plan are wrapped up in that for me.

• Administrator

I like acupuncture but I would avoid any kind of cleanse. This puts stress on your body it doesn't need while it's trying to heal the nervous system.

Instead, concentrate on eating light, fresh foods with lots of protein. Avoid anything with artificial flavoring or preservatives and minimize sugar and caffeine.

Hi Again,

I have been having night sweats almost every night since on Pristiq. Does this side effect go away as I lower my dose?

Also, I am so fatigued with a lot of brain fog. How long does it take for these side effects to subside?

Thanks,

Rosie

• Administrator

Sweating, fatigue, and brain fog can be withdrawal symptoms.

A 10mg drop per week may be too much for you. It's a fast taper. If you tip your nervous system into severe withdrawal syndrome, it can take months for you to recover from the symptoms.

It helps us if you put your withdrawal schedule in your signature, see instructions here http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/893-please-put-your-withdrawal-history-in-your-signature/

Thank you Alto,

I will attempt to put my taper schedule in my signature soon.

My naturopath/homoepath is supporting me on this taper of 10%. I appreciate what you are telling me re: fast taper. I have been feeling crappy because I took the 100 mg of Pristiq which I believe was too high of a dose for my sensitive body.

I am hoping and praying that by lowering the dose this way, I will begin to feel a little better. My goal is to feel less brain fog, less headaches, less sweating and less fatigue. We believe that I have been poisoned 3 years ago by a Hep A shot

and therefore would like to chelate the heavy metals out of my body. I did a urine test with Doctor's Data and it showed high levels of mercury and lead.

My brain is probably on toxic overload. HOPEFULLY, the chelation will help!

God bless,

Rosie

• Administrator

Have you had sweating, fatigue, and brain fog ever since you started taking 100mg Pristiq?

With all due respect to your naturopath, but whatever heavy metals may or may not be in your body is an entirely different and unrelated issue from your problems with Pristiq.

If I were you, I'd delay chelation until you are off Pristiq and feeling well for a while. Chelation puts additional stress on your body and that's something you don't need when you are suffering an adverse effect from an antidepressant.

Hi Alto,

The brain fog, sweating and fatigue got much worse with the 100mg of Pristiq. I am now on 70mg until next Tuesday.

I feel as though the Pristiq really did a number on my body.

Thank you for your advise.

Rosie

• Administrator

Okay, it may be an adverse reaction to too much Pristiq rather than a withdrawal symptom.

In that case, your rate of taper is probably appropriate.

Did any NEW symptoms show up as you have been reducing?

that's what my doctor and I think.

The only NEW symptom that has shown up is a reduction in anxiety . :rolleyes:

But like I said, I still feel headaches, fatigue, brain fog and problems with my hearing perhaps due to bruxism.

Rosie

• Administrator

Yes, the teeth clenching and jaw tension can definitely be part of the overstimulation caused by too much Pristiq, as can the anxiety. (A noradrenergic is a bad choice to treat anxiety.)

Recommend getting a night guard to protect your teeth from bruxism for now.

The adverse effects should go away when you get off the d*mn drug.

If I were you, I would avoid antidepressants in the future. Once you've had a bad experience, your nervous system tends to become more sensitive to adverse effects.

You must be down to 60mg now?

Hi Alto,

I am still at 70mg; will be at 60mg on Tuesday.

Thank you for giving me hope. Sometimes you think that this is all in your head and that no else goes through it.

Yes, I look forward to being off the d*mn drug!!!

Rosie

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone experienced gluttony while withdrawing. I want to eat everything in sight. What's going on?

Rosie

Rosie, I had powerful sugar cravings during my previous attempt. When I gave in and at sugar (lots, like a bag of candy) I felt a rapid improvement in my mood. Are you wanting anything in particular?

Bubbles

2005 St John's Wort / 2006-2012 Lexapro 20mg, 2 failed attempts to stop, tapered over 4.5 months in early 2012

January 2013 started Sertraline, over time worked up to 100mg

July 2014 Sertraline dropped from 100mg to 75mg, held for six months, slower tapering until 2019 22 Dec 3.2mg

2020 Sertraline 19 Jan 3.1mg, 26 Jan 3.0mg; 1 Mar 2.9, 7 Mar 2.8, May (some drops here) 24 May 2.5, May 29 2.4, June 21 2.3, June 28 2.2mg,  July 4 2.1mg, July 24 (or maybe a bit before) 2mg, early Nov switched to home made suspension; 29 Nov 1.8mg; approx 25 Dec 1.6mg)

2021 Some time in about Jan/Feb realised probably on more like 1.8mg and poss mixing error in making suspension; doses after 10 Feb accurate; 10 Feb 1.6mg; 7 Mar 1.4, continued monthly

10% drops until 1mg, then dropped 0.1mg monthly.

May 2022,0.1mg, now dropping 0.01mg per week

29 August 2022 - first day of zero!

My thread here at SA: https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/1775-bubbles/page/21/

Current: Armour Thyroid

Bubbles,

I am craving sweets, pop corn, chips: all of the bad stuff.

Rosie

Ive had an intense reaction to food smells in the past few days~ sounds like the reaction women have when pregnant (no I'm not) ~ haven't been able to eat in a few days -

Hi Again,

Just went down to 40 mg of compounded Pristiq but feeling really fatigued, dizzy and anxious after a couple of days on that dose. Thinking I will have to go back up to 50 mg and perhaps alternate the 50mg with the 40 mg.

Thoughts?

Rosie

• Administrator

Do NOT alternate. This makes the level of the drug in your body go up and down, exacerbating withdrawal symptoms.

Instead, take 45mg consistently.

Hi Alto,

I do not have 5 mg Pristiq. What do you suggest I do?

Rosie

• Administrator

All the pharmacy is doing is crushing tablets, weighing them, and putting the powder into capsules.

Suggestions:

- Open up a 10mg capsule and divide the powder into two equal piles. Put each pile into an empty gelatin capsule.

- With a new prescription, get twice as many 5mg capsules instead of the 10mg capsules from the compounding pharmacy.

- Cut up and crush a tablet yourself and weigh it with an electronic digital scale.

A weekly reduction may still be too fast when you are reducing by 5mg.

ok thanks Alto!!! :D

I will ask my doctor for a prescription of 5 mg next week. So for now, I will stick to the 40mg for a longer period of time.

Rosie

Hi Rosie,

I think I read on another thread that you are perimenopausal. Now I can't find the thread, but I was wondering how you got diagnosed with this. I suspect I am entering that phase and that it is complicating my AD withdrawal. I have an appointment with a gynecologist this coming week and am trying to learn more about how they diagnose this to make sure he does the right tests (I have very low confidence in doctors).

Thanks!

'94-'08 On/off ADs. Mostly Zoloft & Wellbutrin, but also Prozac, Celexa, Effexor, etc.
6/08 quit Z & W after tapering, awful anxiety 3 mos. later, reinstated.
11/10 CTed. Severe anxiety 3 mos. later & @ 8 mos. much worse (set off by metronidazole). Anxiety, depression, anhedonia, DP, DR, dizziness, severe insomnia, high serum AM cortisol, flu-like feelings, muscle discomfort.
9/11-9/12 Waves and windows of recovery.
10/12 Awful relapse, DP/DR. Hydrocortisone?
11/12 Improved fairly quickly even though relapse was one of worst waves ever.

1/13 Best I've ever felt.

3/13 A bit of a relapse... then faster and shorter waves and windows.

4/14 Have to watch out for triggers, but feel completely normal about 80% of the time.

Hi Nadia,

Well, I am 46 years old and I know that peri menopause can start from 37 years to 50 years of age.

My menstrual flow fluctuates from month to month and I get night sweats, fatigue and strong PMS which is all part of it.

Rosie

Hi Alto,

I decided that I had better go back to the 50 mg Pristiq and stay there for a while. I was not doing well on the 40mg.

I hope that things will get better this way! I have ordered the 5mg Pristiq and will go down to 45 mg when I feel stable.

How long should I stay at the 50mg?

Rosie

• Administrator

I suggest you stay at 50mg for 3 weeks.