Jeanette: Effexor withdrawal

Jeanette

I took Effexor for a total of six months and got to 300 mg. Wanted to discontinue due to mania, insomnia, stomach issues. Had not heard about discontinuation syndrome. The Dr took me from 300 mg to 150 mg for a month. Added Straterra. Then 75 mg for 10 days. Severely ill so increased back to 150 mg. Went to new Dr for second opinion. Added Cymbalta took Effexor up to 187 mg. Ended up hospital 2 months after started taper. Now on 50 mg of Pristiq instead of those 3 antidepressants. Depressed, frustrated, severe cognitive and memory issues, scared, confused, anxious, sick,angry. New doctor tomorrow. Wishing I hadn't gone in hospital and had started a slower taper on my own. The Dr yanking me off 3 meds sounds like it will be difficult to get through on my own. 

Effexor Withdrawal 300 mg 1/29/18-3/21/18 while on 

Neurontin 300 mg 2x day

Lithium 600 mg At night

Trazadone 50mg - 100 mg at night

Naltrexone 50mg

60 mg Cymbalta 2x day

Straterra 40 mg 2x day

3/21/2018 off Effexor, Cymbalta and Straterra. Added 50 mg of Pristiq

5/3/18 off Pristiq 50 mg, back on Effexor 150 mg plus still trazadone, naltrexone, neurontin, lithium and added hydroxyzine.

• Altostrata changed the title to Jeanette Effexor Withdrawal
  • Administrator

Welcome, Jeanette.

How long have you been taking Pristiq? Have your symptoms changed since you've been taking it?

To help us out, see these instructions Please put your drug and withdrawal history in your signature

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

I have been taking 50 mg Pristiq since March 21st. The same day they took me off Effexor, Staterra, and Cymbalta. It seems my symptoms have been getting worse since midapril. Esp cognitive making daily function hard. It's like brain won't wake up

Neurontin 300 mg 2x day

Lithium 600 mg At night

Naltrexone 50mg

60 mg Cymbalta 2x day

Straterra 40 mg 2x day

5/3/18 off Pristiq 50 mg, back on Effexor 150 mg plus still trazadone, naltrexone, neurontin, lithium and added hydroxyzine.

2 hours ago, Jeanette said:

I took Effexor for a total of six months and got to 300 mg. Wanted to discontinue due to mania, insomnia, stomach issues. Had not heard about discontinuation syndrome. The Dr took me from 300 mg to 150 mg for a month. Added Straterra. Then 75 mg for 10 days. Severely ill so increased back to 150 mg. Went to new Dr for second opinion. Added Cymbalta took Effexor up to 187 mg. Ended up hospital 2 months after started taper. Now on 50 mg of Pristiq instead of those 3 antidepressants. Depressed, frustrated, severe cognitive and memory issues, scared, confused, anxious, sick,angry. New doctor tomorrow. Wishing I hadn't gone in hospital and had started a slower taper on my own. The Dr yanking me off 3 meds sounds like it will be difficult to get through on my own. 

Dear Jeanette, Just a few quick words to let you know your note has been read. I'm sending you good thoughts and support. I can't begin to understand your situation other than through my own experience of tapering off of Effexor. I began to taper almost three years ago from 300 mg. It's been a slow process and at one point very painful when I was advised to stop cold at 37.5. Had to go back on and am now tapering slow, slow, slow.  I'd like to be free from this drug by Christmas or sooner and am certain this will happen. I am sad that you and millions of others are struggling to come to terms with the plight of psychiatric drugs in our society and have to suffer to find balance. I am not against having these drugs to help people. It's the blatant overuse and towering effect of too many powerful drugs for too long being topped one over the other creating an all too often lethal cocktail of pharmaceuticals that don't blend well and do harm. This under the guidance of the medical professionals who we rely on for expertise. It's obvious to me a great many doctors have much to learn. Go day by day. Give yourself compliments and encouragement topped with good food and drink choices, good books, good music, good friends and a comfortable environment. Ask questions. And, you've found this site. Try not to despair and remember you are not alone.  

Current Medication: 

• Effexor 37.5  every second day beginning March 1, 2018
  • Teva-Venlafaxine XR...low dose for Thyroid
  • Estrace HRT;  Eltroxin 0.05 mg; 
  •  Symbicort Turbo Inhaler 2 puffs daily for Asthma (collapsed lower right lung) and prone to bronchitis and pneumonia.
  • Recently discovered I have gallstones via general health check-up ultrasound. No painful symptoms to date probably due to a good diet.  Gallstones can occur due to hormone replacement medication. In my case...who knows?
  • Current Symptoms: 
  • Chronic fatigue; aching muscles, joint stiffness, tingling and hot sensation in limbs,
  • unsteady on my feet (have fallen three times in three months)
  • isolating,
  • slight social anxiety, lack of motivation

My Plan:  Keeping track of daily medications in a pocket calendar and making notes. 

Hot baths help...will add Epson salts.  I take Aleve and two Extra Strength Tylenol at night to help with the pain at this point.

Work at a sticking to a daily routine: Up at set time; go for walk; swim twice a week; journal daily in the morning.

• Administrator
4 hours ago, Jeanette said:

I have been taking 50 mg Pristiq since March 21st. The same day they took me off Effexor, Staterra, and Cymbalta. It seems my symptoms have been getting worse since midapril. Esp cognitive making daily function hard. It's like brain won't wake up

Do you have any other symptoms? Do they follow any daily pattern? What time of day do you take Pristiq?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

I usually wake at 8. It feels like hit with a truck. Stuck. Then take meds at 8:30 and hope kick in. I try to do some exercising. Then make calls, read email, or re a message and I'm exhausted. Sleep like 1-4 pm. Nights seem a little  better but sleep more than usual. The cognitive things worry. Like taking the bus the wrong way. Decisions difficult since no memory recall 

Neurontin 300 mg 2x day

Lithium 600 mg At night

Naltrexone 50mg

60 mg Cymbalta 2x day

Straterra 40 mg 2x day

• Moderator Emeritus
On 5/2/2018 at 11:40 AM, Altostrata said:

To help us out, see these instructions Please put your drug and withdrawal history in your signature

Welcome, Jeanette. 

You certainly have been through a lot, such a severe cut off Effexor your doctor put you through. 

I want to emphasize that healing is definitely possible and you are part of a large community of people who are healing from similar situations.

Please do add a drug/withdrawal using the above link when you get a chance; it will make it easier to see everything at a glance. Thanks. 

2020: After 18+ years (entire adult life) on Paxil, a dangerous doctor-led "taper" in 2015, and four years tapering off the last 1 mg thanks to SA and the Brassmonkey slide, 

I AM COMPLETELY FREE OF PAXIL! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! Forever.

2021: Began conservative, proper, CNS-respecting taper of Zoloft, led by the only expert on me -- me. Making own liquid. 5-10% plus holds.

2022: Holding on Zoloft for now. Current dose 47 mg. Hanging in, hanging on. Severe protracted PAWS, windows and waves. While I may not be doing "a lot" by outside standards, things are graaaaadually getting better

Yoga (gentle to medium); walks; daily breath practice; nutrition, fruits/veg; nature; water; EastEnders (lol); practicing self-compassion, self-care; boundaries; connection; allowing feelings; t r u s t ing that I, too, will heal. (--> may need to be reminded of this.)

"You are not alone, and this is not the end of your story." - Baylissa

• Administrator

Jeanette, do you feel better after you take Pristiq? Does it make you sleepy? Since you've been taking it, how has your symptom pattern changed?

I went to new Dr 5/3. He took me off Pristiq and put me back on 150 mg Effexor. Said they took me off Effexor too fast. But now I'm adjusting. Insomina, daytime fatigue, extreme irritability, extreme hunger. Depressed

Wonder how long til I adjust.

Neurontin 300 mg 2x day

Lithium 600 mg At night

Naltrexone 50mg

60 mg Cymbalta 2x day

Straterra 40 mg 2x day

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Jeanette, thanks for adding a signature.  Please can you also answer Alto's questions from above - the information will help us to understand your situation better.

2001–2002 paroxetine

2003  citalopram

2004-2008  paroxetine (various failed tapers) 
2008  paroxetine slow taper down to

2016  Aug off paroxetine
2016  citalopram May 20mg  Oct 15mg … slow taper down
2018  citalopram 13 Feb 4.6mg 15 Mar 4.4mg 29 Apr 4.2mg 6 Jul 4.1mg 17 Aug 4.0mg  18 Nov 3.8mg
2019  15 Mar 3.6mg  21 May 3.4mg  26 Dec 3.2mg 

2020  19 Feb 3.0mg 19 Jul 2.9mg 16 Sep 2.8mg 25 Oct 2.7mg 23 Oct 2.6mg 24 Dec 2.5mg

2021   29 Aug 2.4mg   15 Nov 2.3mg

• Administrator

Jeanette, how have your symptoms changed since you started taking 150mg Effexor instead of Pristiq?

Monitoring. I can sense the chemical imbalance when i wake up. Still like hit by a truck. Like brain not awake. Better after take Effexor in am. But just cant keep up with everything going on. Like in a fog. But usually ok to do something for 6 hrs. Then just completely drained and exhausted. Slow function then bed time at 8 pm. Usually wake up for 3 hrs. Then repeat. Day 4

Concerned with short term memory issues and cognitive decline. Also feeling depressed.

Neurontin 300 mg 2x day

Lithium 600 mg At night

Naltrexone 50mg

60 mg Cymbalta 2x day

Straterra 40 mg 2x day

• 3 months later...

Started tapering Effexor Jan 2018. Dr took me from 300 mg to 0 in two months. Very ill. 6 weeks later reinstated Effexor to 150 (beginning of May.) Symptoms somewhat better. Beginning of July decreased Effexor to 137.5 started Wellbutrin 75. Was very irritable, depressed, EXHAUSTED, apathetic, etc. Went back July 31st and left Effexor at 137.5 and increased Wellbutrin. Felt a little better 1 week. This last week I started Lyrica and seem more tired. I dont know what is doing what cause I also take 300 mg gabapentin 2x day and 900 lithium. I feel like I am losing my mind. Psych Dr. not listening 

Neurontin 300 mg 2x day

Lithium 600 mg At night

Naltrexone 50mg

60 mg Cymbalta 2x day

Straterra 40 mg 2x day

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Jeanette - I've merged your new post into your introduction topic to keep all your information in one place.  Please post all your updates here in this topic.

2001–2002 paroxetine

2003  citalopram

2004-2008  paroxetine (various failed tapers) 
2008  paroxetine slow taper down to

2016  Aug off paroxetine
2016  citalopram May 20mg  Oct 15mg … slow taper down
2018  citalopram 13 Feb 4.6mg 15 Mar 4.4mg 29 Apr 4.2mg 6 Jul 4.1mg 17 Aug 4.0mg  18 Nov 3.8mg
2019  15 Mar 3.6mg  21 May 3.4mg  26 Dec 3.2mg 

2020  19 Feb 3.0mg 19 Jul 2.9mg 16 Sep 2.8mg 25 Oct 2.7mg 23 Oct 2.6mg 24 Dec 2.5mg

2021   29 Aug 2.4mg   15 Nov 2.3mg

• ChessieCat changed the title to Jeanette: Effexor withdrawal
  • 6 months later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi Jeanette, 

How are you doing?💚

Seroquel. 2019:➡️ From 7.25mg to 5.80mg✔️ 2020➡️From 5.60 to 4.80✔️ 2021➡️From 4.60 to 4.0✔️ 2022➡️From 3.95 to 3.55✔️2023➡️ Jan 26=3.50✔️March 17=3.45✔️ June12=3.40✔️ July30=3.35✔️ Sep14=3.30✔️ Oct31=3.25✔️
2024➡️Jan15=3.20✔️ Feb19=3.15✔️ March26=3.10✔️This is NOT medical advice.Consult your doctor.