MadHatter: tapering after being on 2.5mg Zyprexa for 2 weeks

MadHatter

Hello all.  Just as the title says, I've been on 2.5mg Zyprexa for about two weeks.  Initially it helped me sleep, but now it doesn't really and I don't want to up my dosage.  I'm pretty scared to just cold turkey off the drugs given all the horrible things I've read about it.  So, should I taper, and if so, how long?  One idea I had was just to do a quick 1 week taper, where I go 2.5,2, 1.5,1,.5, .25, jump.  Any opinions on that?  I'm looking for comfort, and I'm not neccessarily opposed to a longer taper, but at the same time I don't want my receptors to become even more used to it.

Any replies are greatly appreciated.  Thanks

• ChessieCat changed the title to MadHatter: Tapering after being on 2.5mg Zyprexa for 2 weeks
  • Administrator

Welcome, MadHatter.

After only 2 weeks, your risk of withdrawal symptoms is lower. Your plan sounds good over about 2 weeks -- allow 4 days between decreases.

See Tips for tapering off olanzapine (Zyprexa)

Was Zyprexa prescribed for sleep? It's a far too dangerous drug for that.

Also see

Tips to help sleep -- so many of us have that awful withdrawal insomnia

Waking with panic or anxiety -- managing cortisol spikes

What is the sleep cycle?

Melatonin for sleep: Many people find it helpful

TV or computer use in evening can disrupt sleep: Bright light signals the brain that it's daytime

White noise devices for sleep

Light therapy for sleep problems

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Yes, I was prescribed this for sleep.  By two different psychiatrists!  One was a "holistic" psychiatrist.  What a bunch of crap.  What is holistic about putting me on the worst drug ever invented?  It's pure madness.

Thanks for the tips.

• 2 weeks later...

Someone messaged me asking if I had succesfully completed the taper.  In order to help other people, here is my reply to that someone:

"I'm about 3 days away from being done.  I was only on 2.5mg Zyprexa for 2 weeks and wanted to get off of it before it started harming me. I did it by doing a liquid taper:

I mix 1 tablespoon pancake syrup with 3 tablespoons water.  I use a pill crusher to grind up the 2.5mg Zyprexa.  I pour the powdered pill into the mixture and mix it up.  The syrup helps the powder be evenly distributed so that it doesn't just all fall to the bottom.  

Since 4 tablespoons equals 12 teaspoons, each night I take out an additional teaspoon of the mixture.  So by night 6 I'm taking out 6 teaspoons from the mixture and drinking the rest.  Tonight I'll take out 9 teaspoons and drink the remaining 3 teaspoons (which is effectively .6mg Zyprexa).  In effect, it takes me 12 nights to do the complete taper.

So far it hasn't been too bad.  My sleep is a little lighter, but I haven't been having the horrific Zyprexa withdrawals that I've read about, which I'm very thankful for.  

Hopefully this helps you.  Good luck!"

• 7 months later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi MadHatter, 

How are you doing?💚

Seroquel. 2019:➡️ From 7.25mg to 5.80mg✔️ 2020➡️From 5.60 to 4.80✔️ 2021➡️From 4.60 to 4.0✔️ 2022➡️From 3.95 to 3.55✔️2023➡️ Jan 26=3.50✔️March 17=3.45✔️ June12=3.40✔️ July30=3.35✔️ Sep14=3.30✔️ Oct31=3.25✔️
2024➡️Jan15=3.20✔️ Feb19=3.15✔️ March26=3.10✔️This is NOT medical advice.Consult your doctor.

• ChessieCat changed the title to MadHatter: tapering after being on 2.5mg Zyprexa for 2 weeks