Hyperbaric oxygen treatment

bruno2016

That totally makes sense now. Well, I’m glad to hear it. Sleep is so precious. :)

Seroquel 10-30mg nightly late July 2017- September 2017

Amitriptyline 25-150 mg late October 2017- mid February 2018

Occasional hydroxizine/antihistamine usage throughout  

Phenibut 6000 mg every 48 hours April 2017- July 2017

Currently taking 1.5 mg klonopin

Supplements: Pantothenic Acid 1000mg extended release

Sorry, I'm just now seeing this response.  SOOO - what I've discovered is that when I do the hyperbaric therapy (soft chamber), I feel better UNTIL I skip a day and then, it sends me into worse w/d symptoms.  My theory is that the chamber is making the smaller amount of medication work better (there are studies showing that the use of Prozac plus hyperbaric therapy had a stronger effect on depression than either the drug or hyperbaric alone) BUT when you don't use the chamber, it's basically like dropping down the medication dosage.  Just a theory but it's what I've observed.  Luckily I have a chamber in my house so I could use it daily, but honestly, it's an hour of time that's difficult to find sometimes.  End result- yes it helps (soft chamber- I think the hard chamber would make things worse) BUT if you're still withdrawing from the medication, I think you'd have to do it every single day to prevent an up/down effect of the medication on the brain.

Celexa 20 mg 8/26/2016-11/3/2016 (tapered down to 10 and 0 over 2 weeks);

nortriptyline 20 mg 11/4/16-3/30/17. Tapered from 20-15-10-5 from 2/20-3/30;

Effexor 37.5 mg 3/1/17-4/20/17 (tapered up by 1/4 tablet each week from 4/2/17 until 4/21/17).  2 weeks at 37.5 mg dose

Concussion: 8/1/17 caused extreme thoughts and exacerbated withdrawal

Pristiq 8 mg (compounded w/ SR) 2/1/18- 4/15/18 (9 weeks); 6 mg 4/15-4/29/18; 5.5 mg 4/29/18-5/5/18; 5 mg for one week; 4.5 mg for one week; 4 mg one week; 3.5 mg starting 6/5/18

went down by 10% or less each month, splitting the dose between morning and evening.  2/8/2020- Jumped off at 0.2 mg twice a day = 0.2 mg continuous bloodstream concentration.  ZERO mg!! Hope to return with a success story on 2/8/21. Stay tuned

I think I couldnt imagine to give 800 EUR for any treatment. I guess going on the fresh air for a few hours a day must have the same effect as hyperbaric chamber and it is for free. (But I am no expert, naturally :-))

05/2013 Lyrica 100 mg / per day for pain + PGAD resulting from caesarian delivery11/2014 started to taper: 50 mg per day/ for one week then c/tafter one month reinstated at 50 mg /per days of 10 July 2015 drug free-

symptoms OCD

• 3 weeks later...

@Martina23

has your OCD started to go away, or do you still have it?

med history: 17 years total

Concerta: 2 yrs - cold turkey, brought on first "depression" 

Short trials of Zoloft and Effexor: 1-3 years - multiple cold turkey's brought on OCD intrusive thoughts for the first time

Lexapro 15-20 mg (16 yrs)  - tried to quit once, cold turkey, worst WD ever, had to go on to 20mg to stop WD

Welbutrin 150mg (8-ish yrs) NO w/d symptoms from CT

Adderall 5-7.5mg (8-10-ish yrs) quit CT, brought on many WD symptoms, but manageable. 

Begin taper March 2018 Currently on 4.4 mg lexapro - down from 20mg

Symptoms depression, horrible intrusive thoughts and urges, new onset PMS/PMDD, constant extreme irritation and anger, visual hallucinations, irrational thinking patterns, panic, nausea, dizzy, intolerance to working out, chemical sensitivities, noise sensitivities, memory issues, heart palps, etc. 

@Brussellsprout

How are you doing with the HBOT tank? Do you feel it was a good investment in your recovery? Do you mind sharing which tank you purchased? I was thinking about going to the pay/per visit ones, but I'm still on 5mg of my pill...

thoughts?

Thanks!

Short trials of Zoloft and Effexor: 1-3 years - multiple cold turkey's brought on OCD intrusive thoughts for the first time

Lexapro 15-20 mg (16 yrs)  - tried to quit once, cold turkey, worst WD ever, had to go on to 20mg to stop WD

Adderall 5-7.5mg (8-10-ish yrs) quit CT, brought on many WD symptoms, but manageable. 

Symptoms depression, horrible intrusive thoughts and urges, new onset PMS/PMDD, constant extreme irritation and anger, visual hallucinations, irrational thinking patterns, panic, nausea, dizzy, intolerance to working out, chemical sensitivities, noise sensitivities, memory issues, heart palps, etc. 

12 minutes ago, Peachy said:

@Martina23

has your OCD started to go away, or do you still have it?

I have, such a pity... But only sometimes. Not always anymore:-)

05/2013 Lyrica 100 mg / per day for pain + PGAD resulting from caesarian delivery11/2014 started to taper: 50 mg per day/ for one week then c/tafter one month reinstated at 50 mg /per days of 10 July 2015 drug free-

symptoms OCD

4 hours ago, Peachy said:

@Brussellsprout

How are you doing with the HBOT tank? Do you feel it was a good investment in your recovery? Do you mind sharing which tank you purchased? I was thinking about going to the pay/per visit ones, but I'm still on 5mg of my pill...

thoughts?

Thanks!

HI peachy. I am still holding off on using the the chamber until I am at least close to fully withdrawn. i still have 2.5 mg of pristiq to go and I plan to drop over the next 6 months (about 10 months of withdrawing after 2 months of use). I purchased a Newtowne 27” tube and 10L oxygen concentrator for $3700 US. I found that at a cost of 100 per “dive” and me needing at least 40 dives, it was cheaper to purchase. Plus I could use it again later. I bought mine for a concussion though. Before meds this time around. 

Effexor 37.5 mg 3/1/17-4/20/17 (tapered up by 1/4 tablet each week from 4/2/17 until 4/21/17).  2 weeks at 37.5 mg dose

Pristiq 8 mg (compounded w/ SR) 2/1/18- 4/15/18 (9 weeks); 6 mg 4/15-4/29/18; 5.5 mg 4/29/18-5/5/18; 5 mg for one week; 4.5 mg for one week; 4 mg one week; 3.5 mg starting 6/5/18

went down by 10% or less each month, splitting the dose between morning and evening.  2/8/2020- Jumped off at 0.2 mg twice a day = 0.2 mg continuous bloodstream concentration.  ZERO mg!! Hope to return with a success story on 2/8/21. Stay tuned

• Administrator

Just wanted to note: If any kind of treatment makes you feel worse, it's probably not good for your sensitive nervous system.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

9 hours ago, Martina23 said:

I have, such a pity... But only sometimes. Not always anymore:-)

I'm sorry to hear that. Would you say it's a lot better and more manageable now? 

The same happened to me years ago, I didn't know what happened, so I ended up going on more and more meds. Thats why I'm in the mess I'm in now. 

1 hour ago, Peachy said:

I'm sorry to hear that. Would you say it's a lot better and more manageable now? 

The same happened to me years ago, I didn't know what happened, so I ended up going on more and more meds. Thats why I'm in the mess I'm in now. 

It is a lot better but it hasnt gone away completely. I wished it would but it stayed me a bit this negative background in the head 

symptoms OCD

• Moderator Emeritus

I just found an ad in a - VERY WOO - magazine that a New Zealand now offers portable home oxygen for anyone.

The add states "Do not wait until you gist sick!"  (scare tactics).

https://droxygen.co.nz/the-design/

Runs on oxygen "powders" - ?

Used in the beauty industry (there's a lot of woo there, for sure)...

Woo woo!

But I guess - if I really wanted to oxygenate myself, I could now.

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

1 hour ago, JanCarol said:

I just found an ad in a - VERY WOO - magazine that a New Zealand now offers portable home oxygen for anyone.

The add states "Do not wait until you gist sick!"  (scare tactics).

https://droxygen.co.nz/the-design/

Runs on oxygen "powders" - ?

Used in the beauty industry (there's a lot of woo there, for sure)...

Woo woo!

But I guess - if I really wanted to oxygenate myself, I could now.

Yes, selling fresh air is a fledgling industry, too. BUT! You can get the Hell out of the city too, ha ha (there's probably a bit more fresh air over there). You MIGHT need some dough, though. That's one of the best things one can do for their health (aside from quitting psychiatric drugs ;)).

1 year risperidone, 1 year olanzapine (10 mg). attempted first withdrawal cold turkey, failed. 2 more years olanzapine, switched to abilify which was very disruptive so attempted quitting cold turkey, failed. then 4 years amisulpride at 150 mg and about 3 zoloft at 150 mg. attempted withdrawal from both in 3 weeks, failed. reinstated zoloft and bridged to olanzapine (10 mg), successfully withdrew it over 10 months. tried withdrawing zoloft over 12 months, failed. bridged to prozac, at 40 mg,  now at 12 mg.

I don’t know if this is the right thread to discuss this, I tried to look for discussions about liquid oxygen but couldn’t find any.

Has anyone tried it or is there any thread about it? To me it has been very helpful the only thing is I started taking it before starting the antidepressants. I had insomnia for over 10 years in different degrees, the last couple of years before starting to take the liquid oxygen, I used to lie in bed from 1-3 sometimes 4 hours before I could fall asleep and then woke up early and felt tired through the whole day. I tried melatonin, hot and cold baths, different relaxing teas and natural remedies, valerian root and noting worked.

I also had bad fatigue, I was not able to function properly during the day and had to rest all day some days.

All This improved around a 90% after taking the liquid oxygen and I have been taking it ever since (around 2014-2013) Since then I have been able to fall sleep in less than 30 minutes, and have never felt as fatigued as I used to feel, it used to interfere with my daily activities. 

During WD my sleep quality has been a bit worse but nothing compared to what I used to go through, I always get to fall asleep as I say within 30 minutes the most.

Now, I Don’t know how this will react with the tapper and WD experience for others since I Started taking it before even taking Ads and my brain was already used to it, and I know that taking other supplements apart from fish oil and magnesium is not recommended here and might have a bad reaction. An also even when I started it I had to do it gradually or it would cause dizziness (this is without AD or withdrawal)

But I did suffer from very bad insomnia, fatigue and very bad mental fog prior to antidepressants and liquid oxygen helped a lot and improved my quality of life greatly.

I don’t know if this might help someone or if this has been discussed before

• Started Taking Cymbalta on Dec 31 2015. Went from 30 mg, up to 120 mg until Oct 2016
  • Oct 2016:  fast tapered per doctor's instructions,  in just 2 weeks went from 120 to 90 to 60 mg 
  • CT from 60 mg to 0 and then reinstated after 3 days, then found the 10% method.
  • Tapering since October 2016, lowering by 10% of dose reductions (of original dose which was too fast)
  • May 2017: 7.2 mg/day
  • Nov 2017: 2.7 mg/day  tapered to fast, took a rest
  • Jan 2018: started reducing 2 pellets per month (took more than a month if needed)
  • August 2018: 1.8 mg/day  (10 pellets left)
  • September 2018: 9 pellets left
  • January 2019: 5 pellets left(reducing 1 pellet per month)
  • June 25 2019: last bead taken
  • Forever Free!!!

Hi Papayashake--  would you please clarify what you are talking about.  The only "liquid oxygen" I know about is cryogenically  cooled gas that is too cold to possibly be taken as a medication.

Brassmonkey

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

Hi brassmonkey, 

It is s a suplement, stabilized oxygen. If you type liquid oxygen on amazon you can find different brands. Some have added vitamins but I take one that is just the oxygen.

• Started Taking Cymbalta on Dec 31 2015. Went from 30 mg, up to 120 mg until Oct 2016
  • Oct 2016:  fast tapered per doctor's instructions,  in just 2 weeks went from 120 to 90 to 60 mg 
  • CT from 60 mg to 0 and then reinstated after 3 days, then found the 10% method.
  • Tapering since October 2016, lowering by 10% of dose reductions (of original dose which was too fast)
  • May 2017: 7.2 mg/day
  • Nov 2017: 2.7 mg/day  tapered to fast, took a rest
  • Jan 2018: started reducing 2 pellets per month (took more than a month if needed)
  • August 2018: 1.8 mg/day  (10 pellets left)
  • September 2018: 9 pellets left
  • January 2019: 5 pellets left(reducing 1 pellet per month)
  • June 25 2019: last bead taken
  • Forever Free!!!

• Moderator Emeritus

I'm with Brass - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liquid_oxygen says:  

Liquid oxygen is a common cryogenic liquid oxidizer propellant for spacecraft rocket applications, usually in combination with liquid hydrogen, kerosene or methane.. 

with the first review on Amazon reflecting what I was thinking:

https://www.amazon.com/Stabilized-Premium-Concentrated-Vitamin-Supplement/dp/B004IJHHL4/ref=sr_1_3_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1534427035&sr=8-3&keywords=liquid+oxygen

Please, I beg of you, save your money and do not buy this. This is the 21st century of snake oil that is playing on the fad of oxygen in everything in the health community. But don't take my word for it. Let me explain why this is a scam.

The packaging advertises that it is "diatomic oxygen stabilized in water." At the simplest level, this just means it is pure oxygen dissolved in water. Assuming that this is strictly distilled water, and optimal conditions of storage (let's say 25 celcius as a nice number). At this temperature, only 40mg per liter of water is present in the "solution" that you are buying in this bottle. Given the fact that there is 4 fl oz in the bottle, and there are 118 ml in 4 fl oz, this gives us an amount of oxygen in the bottle of roughly 4.72 mg of pure oxygen in this 20 dollar bottle of "solution".

Using the ideal gas law (PV=nRT), this gives (.2 * V ) = (.40 g / (32 amu [molecular weight of diatomic oxygen]) * 0.08206 * (273+25), this gives a total volume of oxygen contained in 1.52 liters of air. Given that the average tidal volume (volume of air consumed at rest) is around .5 L, this means that roughly three breaths would be needed at rest in order to make up for all of the oxygen that is contained in this bottle.

This means that in the time of reading this review, assuming that your breathing rate was around 20 bpm, you would have consumed roughly seven times more oxygen than what is contained in this 20 dollar bottle in one minute. This in turn means that you are changing the equivalent of 120 dollars for the equivalent of one minute of resting breathing worth of air.

I know this falls under the category of free market capitalism, but amazon should really remove these items as fraud. Considering that pure O2 inhalers for roughly 80L of pure O2 are available for 12 dollars, please buy those if you are trying to buy oxygen. Remember though, oxygen has not been shown to have any benefits in high intakes, and can actually issues as oxygen toxicity is an issue, although not at these relatively low doses. So whatever you do, please don't buy this product. It is literally just water unless they engineered some polymer structure to encapsulate oxygen, which is obvious not mentioned.

Source: standard values were taken from first results on google, math taken from intro to chemistry class, other knowledge taken from my background in the medical field. I know this isn't proper citations, but for an amazon review, this should be good enough. If you wish to learn the chemistry and check my math, by all means do so, but I don't think for most this will be necessary.

Reviewer was named fishwithadeagle

Even more woo than what I was talking about.

If it makes you feel better, it does.

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

• 2 months later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi Brussellsprout,

I'm very intrigued by your experience w the HBOT chamber. In my case, I did two weeks of HBOT treatment while I started my first (unsuccessful) taper from my drug, without realizing that this could potentially throw off my tapering.

Started on 10 mg Amitriptyline for post-concussive headaches, then dropped to 5 mg once I felt I no longer needed the drug, during which I had the two weeks of HBOT. I was separately pursuing HBOT for further healing from concussion. Two weeks after that, I had my first withdrawal symptom, which was a sensation of my head being very cold such that I always wear hats and earmuffs (and continues to this day, 3 months later). Without considering withdrawal, I continued to taper to 2.5 mg which led to a horrific episode and multiple ER visits before we connected the dots and I reinstated.

What I wish to know is, how much of a factor was HBOT in perhaps worsening my withdrawal prognosis? The way I think about it, HBOT essentially "speeds up time" in allowing for rapid healing of wounds and the entire body. Therefore is it possible that the two weeks of HBOT equated to many more months/years of the drug in my system?

I am trying to stabilize on a reinstated dose (now 12.5 mg) but I'm still having many issues. Brain zaps, tachycardia. I desperately do not want to increase any higher so I will try my best to wait it out. What would your advice be to me? And further insight from your HBOT experience? Was it harder to stabilize on a low dose after trying HBOT?

Apr 2018: Began 10 mg Amitriptyline (for headaches & insomnia from concussion).

Jul - Aug 2018: Fast taper to 5 mg and then 2.5 mg (too fast, hellish withdrawal at 2.5 mg). Sept 2018: Reinstated 10 mg (many symptoms improved). Oct 2018 - Apr 2019: Updosed & stabilized on 11 mg (2 waves at 3 and 5 months post-withdrawal). Apr 2019 - Apr 2020: Tapered 0.5-0.25 mg per month using compounded pills: 11 mg —> 6 mg. (2 waves at 12 and 16 months post-withdrawal.) Apr 2020 - present: Switched to a liquid taper at rate of 0.1 mg per month. Currently: 1.1 mg. No more waves. 

Supplements: Omega-3 fish oil, Vit B12, coenzyme Q10, Hawthorn extract (for tachycardia) Tools for insomnia/waves (as needed): Epsom salt foot soaks, 0.5 mg Melatonin, quality time, waves WILL PASS. Lifestyle: Eat real foods, mostly plants; sunlight, walking, yoga; symptom tracking on adapted Glenmullen chart.

• Moderator Emeritus

@Brussellsprout would love to hear from you re: above!

Jul - Aug 2018: Fast taper to 5 mg and then 2.5 mg (too fast, hellish withdrawal at 2.5 mg). Sept 2018: Reinstated 10 mg (many symptoms improved). Oct 2018 - Apr 2019: Updosed & stabilized on 11 mg (2 waves at 3 and 5 months post-withdrawal). Apr 2019 - Apr 2020: Tapered 0.5-0.25 mg per month using compounded pills: 11 mg —> 6 mg. (2 waves at 12 and 16 months post-withdrawal.) Apr 2020 - present: Switched to a liquid taper at rate of 0.1 mg per month. Currently: 1.1 mg. No more waves. 

Supplements: Omega-3 fish oil, Vit B12, coenzyme Q10, Hawthorn extract (for tachycardia) Tools for insomnia/waves (as needed): Epsom salt foot soaks, 0.5 mg Melatonin, quality time, waves WILL PASS. Lifestyle: Eat real foods, mostly plants; sunlight, walking, yoga; symptom tracking on adapted Glenmullen chart.

Hi. Sorry but I don’t come back here often and I don’t receive notifications.  The hbot only set me back a tiny bit While using it. I was only using mild hyperbaric oxygen therapy which is the low pressure one though. I’ve never used the full hyperbaric oxygen therapy. To tell you the truth, I haven’t used it in a few months and don’t plan to until I’m completely off the medication. I wouldn’t think your brain would mold around it that quickly and I sure can’t imagine it’ll set back that long  as I know several people with concussions that have used it and the effects tend to wear off pretty quickly if you don’t continue to use it again. So I would assume the same would happened to you while taking meds. But I’m not sure of course. Just an extrapolation. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Ok thank you. I do appreciate hearing your experience. Glad to know that you don't think it set you back too far. Same here, I was doing mild HBOT. I'm going to hold off on doing any sort of HBOT as well. Don't want to throw any other variables into the mix. Stay well!

• 1 year later...

What about an oxygen bar.  That would be much less expensive I am sure.  Has anyone tried this?  

1993-2000: Zoloft few months CT, Prozac 1-2 yrs, Ritalin PRN

2002/2003: Wellbutrin,  Paxil 25mg FT, and Xanax PRN CT (all 3 to 6 months), Adderal 40mg, Strattera 40mg

2003- 2016: Effexor XR 75 mg to 150 mg., Strattera (2002-2008)

2017: Effexor XR 225 mg. Gabapentin 300 mg. Elavil 25 mg.

2018: (Sept.) Effexor XR 187.5 mg, Zoloft 10 mg. (OCT.) FT off Gabapentin (NOV.) FT off Elavil (DEC) FT Effexor to 150 mg.

2019: (JAN.) D/C Zoloft, added Viibryd 10mg (FEB) CT Viibryd, (MAR) Prozac bridge, Effexor xr 112.5mg, (Sept.) Effexor XR 112.5 mg + 0.4 mg (1 bead), (Oct.) Effexor XR 112.5mg, (Dec.28) start 10% taper Effexor XR 101.25 mg, 

2020: (Jan. 25) Effexor XR 91 mg., (Feb. 22) Effexor xr 82 mg., (Mar. 21) 75 mg. 

Supplements:  Vitamin D 5000 IU topical, Probiotic 6 billion CFU, Epsom salt bath 1C 2 to 3 X week, California Poppy 2 droppers, various essential oils 

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/21446-superwoman-effexor-taper/page/8/?tab=comments#comment-475779

So, I talked to the nurse at Dr. Harch's office in New Orleans. If you don't know, Dr. Harch wrote a book on HBOT, he has been practicing the longest out of any physician= for 34 years. 

He is also the doctor that Ann Blake Tracy references and says that someone who cold-turkeyed Paxil after being on 120mg (twice the optimum dose) for 6 years, went and had amazing results.

I've called and emailed Ann Blake Tracy to inquire about what she wrote, but she has not contacted me back. 

Anyway, so in case you guys are wondering, here is all the information I gathered from the phonecall:

1. I asked if he has treated people going through ssri/snri/AP withdrawal. The nurse (his wife) said that she couldn't remember everyone he has treated, but was sure he had. She knew he had treated people with streetdrug brain injury and benzos. I told her that's a different game.

2. I'm supposed to submit a page-long history medical history to them- how was my birth, recreational drugs, etc etc. leading up until now.  Following that, he will consult with me for a fee of $450 for a half hour to see if I'm a good candidate. 

3. I mentioned that if he hadn't helped anyone with ssri/snri/AP withdrawal specifically, I would have no interest. Is it really going to cost me $450 to find this part out first? I'm supposed to call her tomorrow and perhaps I can just find out then. 

4. The way that Harch works the HBOT is by having you in a pressure chamber, then watching over a QEEG how your brain is being affected. He will adjust the dose according to what he sees throughout the treatment process. This seems different to me than the places I've looked into in Chicago, where there's a set price and pressure (I think). 

5. The procedure would run for two months and would cost $10,000 ($250 per session). Also there's a doctor's fee of $1,000. If you'd like to also watch your brain on the QEEG, it is $750.  I know in Chicago, the sessions are $150 each, or $125 if you book 40 sessions. 

So that's it. In all likeliness, I will not go through with it, but thought I would relay the information here. I see that the treatment has set back people tapering on here. I am not tapering, but am also concerned about what other people pointed out- if this is a process that speeds things up, that kind of goes against the law of effective withdrawal: slow healing. I definitely don't want to get worse.

But, if Harch can provide sources that I can possibly speak directly to that have done HBOT with success (that of course were in psych drug WD) then I'd keep seeking out answers. Since he adjusts the pressure according the QEEG (and who knows what that actually shows) I'm wondering if it would be more like what Brussellsprout had, or if you can request mild HBOT. 

3/21/19 started Bupropion XL 150 mg

3/21/19 started Risperidone 2mg

7/7/19 start Abilify half dose 5 mg. discontinue Risperidone

7/9/19 full dose Abilify 10 mg

7/29/19 discontinued Abilify due to panicky side effects

8/2/19 Began Latuda 20 mg

8/5/19 discontinued Latuda due to similar side effects 

8/10/19 discontinued Bupropion after realizing it was causing the insomnia

From 8/10/19 no drugs whatsoever

Currently taking vitamin C, D, E, a probiotic and fish oil. 
Message me here if you want: 
https://www.facebook.com/morra.lal.3/  I've been getting a lot of fake friend requests, so please send a message before friend requesting me, thank you!

Hi @Armorall, I'd love to hear more about this and what you find out from Dr. Harch.  I've considered HBOT as well, but it's certainly not cheap.  The doctor I consulted with has the hard HBOT chamber and suggested I get SPECT scans first to get baseline imaging.  I know SA doesn't promote SPECT or other brain imaging for withdrawal, but I must admit, I am curious to see what my brain looks like.

I am not tapering either (I did a fast taper/cold turkey) and have been off all drugs for a little over a year.  I've been on both bupropion and abilify like you.  What got you interested in HBOT?

spring 2002 - summer 2008 - in chronological order: Effexor CT'd, Lexapro, possibly Luvox & Zoloft?, Prozac (brand name), Paxil, Geodon, and Prozac
summer 2009 - summer 2012 - Prozac (up to 80 mg but settled at 60 mg) and Wellbutrin (300 mg) - FT'd off both over a few months 
fall 2012 - fall 2016 - Prozac (60 mg) and Wellbutrin (300 mg) - also tried Anafranil close to the beginning of this period (unsure of dosage)
fall 2016 - fall 2017 - FT'd Wellbutrin to 0mg and Prozac to 10 mg (had FT'd both, reinstated at 300mg & 60mg, then FT'd again - very bad for my CNS)
fall 2017 - October 2018 - Prozac (10 mg) FT'd to switch to Anafranil
mid October 2018 - February 7th, 2019 - Abilify (2 mg to 5 mg) FT'd at 2.5 mg for 6 days due to psychiatric nurse practitioner's direction
late October 2018 - February 1st, 2019 - Anafranil (25 mg to 100 mg)
December 18th, 2018 - January 4th, 2019 - Luvox (25 mg) CT'd due to psychiatric nurse practitioner's direction
February 2nd - February 8th 2019 - Anafranil (50 mg) FT'd due to psychiatric nurse practitioner's direction
February 9th - February 15th, 2019 - Anafranil (25 mg) FT'd due to psychiatric nurse practitioner's direction

various supplements February 16th, 2019 to present - none have seemed to help or hurt 

July 24, 2019 - January 2020 - bio-idential bi-estrogen and progesterone creams, January - February 2020 - bio-identical progesterone pills

@HopeforHealing I posted earlier about the possibility of oxygen tanks helping us because I saw that it was the treatment for people with Carbon monoxide poisoning, and their symptoms are similar. 

Petunia sent me the hyperbaric thread. I'm interested in healing, so I'm investigating it. I'm talking to Harch's wife tonight, so I'll come back with more info specifically about SSRI victims that they have seen. Cheers. 

https://www.facebook.com/morra.lal.3/  I've been getting a lot of fake friend requests, so please send a message before friend requesting me, thank you!

I haven't reached Mrs. Harch yet, but she did leave this message:

Dr. Harch remembers treating 2 patients for SSRI withdrawal. One had visual snow. There were others that he treated for SSRI WD but that was their secondary need, he didn't state what their first need was. 

He knows that the oxygen works on the excitatory neurotransmitters (interesting, I looked it up, had no idea that dopamine, serotonin and noradrenaline fall into that category) 

It also impacts inflammation, stress hormones, and andrenaline released during detoxification. Not sure about that last part, I wonder if Dr. Harch works off of the streetdrug model when thinking about SSRI withdrawal. 

Anyway, I'll report back with more info when I get it. I'm going to ask about speaking with prior patients, how payment works if you don't do the whole 40 sessions, etc etc. 

I'm going to buy his book on HBOT.  Or maybe I should get a different book on it. Or both. It'd be a huge investment to go to New Orleans and do it, so I guess, both books. 

Ann Blake Tracy wrote me back. She said it was over a decade ago that she sent the man who CTd 120mg of Paxil to Dr. Harch. I haven't gotten a hold of Mrs. Harch yet, but I'm going to ask if it's possible to find out how he's doing now along with other patients.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi @Armorall, did you ever get in touch with Mrs. Harch?

spring 2002 - summer 2008 - in chronological order: Effexor CT'd, Lexapro, possibly Luvox & Zoloft?, Prozac (brand name), Paxil, Geodon, and Prozac
summer 2009 - summer 2012 - Prozac (up to 80 mg but settled at 60 mg) and Wellbutrin (300 mg) - FT'd off both over a few months 
fall 2012 - fall 2016 - Prozac (60 mg) and Wellbutrin (300 mg) - also tried Anafranil close to the beginning of this period (unsure of dosage)
fall 2016 - fall 2017 - FT'd Wellbutrin to 0mg and Prozac to 10 mg (had FT'd both, reinstated at 300mg & 60mg, then FT'd again - very bad for my CNS)
mid October 2018 - February 7th, 2019 - Abilify (2 mg to 5 mg) FT'd at 2.5 mg for 6 days due to psychiatric nurse practitioner's direction
December 18th, 2018 - January 4th, 2019 - Luvox (25 mg) CT'd due to psychiatric nurse practitioner's direction
February 2nd - February 8th 2019 - Anafranil (50 mg) FT'd due to psychiatric nurse practitioner's direction
February 9th - February 15th, 2019 - Anafranil (25 mg) FT'd due to psychiatric nurse practitioner's direction

various supplements February 16th, 2019 to present - none have seemed to help or hurt 

July 24, 2019 - January 2020 - bio-idential bi-estrogen and progesterone creams, January - February 2020 - bio-identical progesterone pills

Hi @HopeforHealing I did! Juliet said that all the SSRI patients generally had a "good response" to the treatment. What I asked for was specific testimonies from SSRI patients about their experience: how did it help, did they see lasting results. 

Juliet said that she could not give any information like that as it violates HIPAA. I mentioned that people who go through WD have such a rough time, I would only assume that they would be willing to give that kind of information to help the rest of us. She said that the only testimonies they have are ones that are volunteered. I asked if any of those volunteered were SSRI patients, but they were not. 

I told her it'd be really hard for me to pay $10,000 without at least having some testimonials around SSRI patients. She mentioned that everyone is different, and I believe that, too, but I mentioned to her that everything is risky to WD patients, even taking B12 and other seemingly harmless things can harm us, so without any examples of success, it's a hard bargain to go stay in New Orleans and pay $10,000 for treatment. Juliet is VERY nice and talked at length with me the first time about my situation. After that, to go in depth requires a $450 talking fee with the actual doctor. You are to provide a one page medical history beforehand for his review before you consult with him. 

Ann Blake Tracy did get back to me. She said that the person she sent him was over a decade ago and was no longer in touch with him (someone who cold-turkeyed 120 mg of Paxil- twice the maximum dosage after 6 years and supposedly got good results). I asked about this patient with the Harches but they of course can't release any information on that. 

So, that's it. Sounded like too much money for too little evidence that it would work- also the risk of it making things worse always looms in the background. 

I've been making huge strides in the last month with my own healing, so I'm hoping I can just get to 100% on my own!

Take care and love and healing to you. 

Hi @Armorall, thank you so much for your response!  I'm guessing Juliet is Mrs. Harch?  It's frustrating not to be able to get more specific info on outcomes.  I know of a girl in a facebook group I'm a part of who has had improvements with HBOT from Cymbalta withdrawal, but she also apparently had evidence of TBI.    

What about the possibility of seeing a local doctor who offers HBOT and just starting with a few sessions?  

@HopeforHealing yes Juliet is Ma. Harch sorry for not clarifying. Local doctors are half the cost so it'd be a good thing. The thing is, I looked into Harch because they really seemed to know what they are doing and have had experience with WD patients. They have a monitor that can adjust pressure according to what they are seeing. Going local means getting a set amount of pressure that is not adjustai, and no experience with SSRi patients. Also, as you know, what WD folks can't spare a lot of times is experimentation or else we'd be trying a whole bunch of stuff- but the risk of having adverse effects have to be weighed on anything from vitamins to stuff like this!

Did the person who got HBOT say that it helped specifically with her WD symptoms or just TBI? Maybe she can't distinguish from the two, dunno.

@Armorall, I didn't speak with her directly, just read about her story via a gofundme that she has: https://www.gofundme.com/f/sarah039s-brain-is-healing.  Apparently she's not sure if the brain changes that showed up on her MRI are due to head trauma or medication, but HBOT has helped her overall.  She's had 92 treatments so far!

@HopeforHealing Ok thanks for the information! I read it, that's a good story. I am hazy as to how she got the brain injuries? Is it from actual physical impact, or did she get them from psychiatric drug use? Anyway, that sounds hopeful, perhaps I'll keep following her story and see how the HBOT progresses. Thanks!

You're so welcome, @Armorall!  It seems she had some physical trauma in addition to psychiatric drug injury, but her MRI couldn't distinguish what caused the damage showing up on her imaging.  

• 2 weeks later...

Hope it's ok to jump in here. I'm very fascinated by this hyperbaric treatment. I read about a person on this site some time back that tried it. I think she bought her own tank. I can't seem to find the thread though. If anyone has any more information on this topic im all ears.

• 1 year later...

I've just wanted to add something I have read recently about this topic in Alexander lowens book lust.

He says that extra oxygen intake makes no sense if the body isn't used to much oxigen. That's also the reason for the tingling sensation you might get if you do a wim Hof session. He suggests from a body psychotherapist perspective to try to release trapped emotions which are held back by breathing poorly and contracted muscles. If one does so, the muscles are ready to take in more oxigen as they need more energy when they aren't tense anymore... 

I'm also not shure if Wim Hof and such techniques are that effective because they put the body in an extreme stressful situation, but I'm not shure on that... 

If you are further interested just message me via PM, I can give you some infos on that. 

Greetings

Kosta

Ad's since 2016 (I was 16 then...) (Escitalopram) 

Nov 2018 switch to venlafaxin 150mg

Nov 2019 to march 2020 tapered by 37,5mg to cero. (breakdown, minor w/d symptoms for a few days only panic attacks followed by deep depression came a month later duo to stress). 

Reinstated venla 150mg in Juli 2020.

Nov 2020 to April 2021 tapering by 15mg every month or so until I reached approximately 50 mg(no w/d symptoms) 

Since April 2021 tapered once by 5% and once by 10% of the last dose because I'm not stable enough for w/d. 

Current dose 50mg venlafaxin

No other medication. 

No supplements

Stopped smoking 29.12.2021

No alcohol 

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

Just wanted to follow up on the use of HPOT in tapering and wd from SSRIs. There is a lady in one of the lexapro FB groups who claimed to have some luck with it. Do we have any more evidence for pros and cons?

Lexapro started 2006, 10 mg 2007 tapered to 0 over a month. Felt poorly, got wd but did not know

2008  Put back on L, 20 mg 

2015-16 tapered to 0 over several months. Severe Discontinuation symptoms several days after.

2016: 20 mg, 2016-April 2018 slow taper to 0. 

2018 April: Drug - free!!! June: Withdrawal started 🤯 July: Back on Escitalopram, 10 mg, Nov: 15 mg,

2019: Feb 15 13.75 mg, Feb 23 updose to 15 mg, Sep 6  13.75 mg, Sep 16 12.5 mg, Oct 5 11.25 mg, Oct 23 updose 12 mg

2020: Jan 13 11.5 mg Jan 16 updose 11.9 mg, Feb-Dec  slowly tapered from 11.6 to 6.6 mg. 

2021: Oct 5 mg

2022: Jul 3.8 mg

Holding due to bad symptoms of tiredness, brain fog, depression. 

Bupropion trial sep- nov 2019 no relief from wd. 100, 150, 100, 75, 50, 0 mg

Testosterone Aug 2019-April 2021 - injections, stopped abruptly, experienced wd from T discontinuation . Nov 2021 - current - topical. Massive wave from T re-introduction

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy